Have you been underestimating the power of plant-based protein? Well, after reading this Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Plant review, we’re confident you won’t anymore. It’s one protein supplement which will knock your socks off.
About Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Plant
Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Plant is the “Plant-Based Complete Protein” which has “The True Strength of Plant,” per its official website. Formula notes:
- Twenty-four grams of protein per scoop. Build muscle mass the plant-based way.
- Clean ingredients. You won’t find any fillers and nasty artificial sweeteners here.
- Expensive. One 680-gram container (19 servings) costs $35.99.
Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Plant Supplement Facts (Chocolate, 680 grams)
|Serving Size: 1 Scoop (38 g)|
Servings Per Container: 19
|Nutrient||Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value|
|Total Fat||3 g||4%|
|Saturated Fat||.5 g||3%|
|Total Carbohydrate||7 g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g||7%|
|Total Sugars||1 g|
|Vitamin C||90 mg||100%|
|Vitamin B12||.6 mcg||25%|
|Ingredients: Plant Protein Blend (Organic Pea Protein, Organic Brown Rice Protein, Organic Sacha Inchi Protein), Organic Cocoa Powder (Processed with Alkali), Natural Flavor, Organic Natural Flavor, Organic Stevia Leaf Extract, AncienTrim™ Organic Grain Blend (Organic Amaranth, Organic Quinoa, Organic Buckwheat, Organic Millet, Organic Chia), Organic Guar Gum, Xanthan Gum, Ascorbic Acid, Organic Gum Arabic, Salt, Organic Pomegranate Powder, Cyanocobalamin.|
|Directions: Mix one scoop with 8-10 fl. oz. of cold water or almond milk in a shaker or blender.|
For healthy adults, consume enough protein to meet your daily protein requirements with a combination of high protein foods and protein supplements throughout the day as a part of a balanced diet and exercise program.
Plant-Based Complete Protein
We have sized up a few plant-based bodybuilding supplements here on B5. One product which comes to mind is Natural Force Organic Recovery Nectar, a post-workout known as “The Complete Plant-Based Recovery Supplement.”
While this supplement has some positives, its proprietary blends, mediocre taste, and exorbitant price tag pulled its value down.
We’re hoping Gold Standard 100% Gold Standard Plant does it one better. This protein supplement is the “Plant-Based Complete Protein” which has “The True Strength of Plant,” per its official website.
This seems to be a viable alternative for vegans, vegetarians, and lactose-intolerant individuals. Finding a good protein supplement can be daunting for these folks. We’re glad plant-based products such as Gold Standard 100% Gold Standard Plant are around.
Our first impression: this product’s all-natural ingredients can help you build muscle and achieve your long-term fitness goals. The impressive ingredients speak volumes.
Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Plant has a solid 24 grams of protein per serving. This much is at par with several big-name protein supplements:
- ProMera Sports CON-CRET WHEY PROTEIN
- Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey
- MuscleTech Premium Gold 100% Whey Protein
- Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Casein
- BPI Sports BEST PROTEIN
If you pay close attention, Optimum Nutrition hasn’t deviated from its usual 24 grams of protein per scoop (equal to an awesome 48 percent of the daily value). It’s clear this is the company’s magic number when it comes to protein content. We’re perfectly fine with that.
As for Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Plant, its Plant Protein Blend has several impressive components: organic pea protein, organic brown rice protein, and organic Sacha Inchi protein.
Organic Pea Protein
If you’re iffy about lactose and dairy products, pea protein is the muscle builder which should be right up your alley. Experts say its one of the most hypoallergenic kinds of protein on the market. Plus, it doesn’t cause any digestive issues or bloating. These are already huge pluses, if you ask us.
If you’re doubtful about pea protein’s muscle-building prowess, think again. It’s a rich source of the nitric oxide precursor l-arginine.
Bodybuilding enthusiasts know l-arginine helps improve blood flow and muscle thickness, increase muscle pumps and vasodilation, and promote healthy blood pressure levels. While l-arginine doesn’t measure up to l-citrulline in terms of solubility, it can still produce good results.
The January 21, 2015 issue of the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition (via NCBI.NLM.NIH.gov) also says, “Supplementation with pea protein promoted a greater increase of muscle thickness as compared to placebo and especially for people starting or returning to muscular strengthening.”
Pea protein also helps boost weight loss, improve cardiovascular function, and regulate blood sugar levels. We’re glad it’s in Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Plant.
Organic Brown Rice Protein
Another plant-based muscle builder in its formula is organic brown rice protein. We don’t blame you if the first thing which comes to mind is carbohydrates. After all, many people associate rice with this macronutrient.
Well, it turns out brown rice protein powder is no pushover when it comes to protein content. In fact, one scoop yields as much as 20 grams. That’s flat-out impressive, in our opinion.
Experts also point out brown rice protein doesn’t have all of the nine essential amino acids (your body doesn’t synthesize these, so you must obtain them from whole foods or supplements).
That’s the reason why the manufacturer included organic quinoa and organic chia in Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Plant – to make up for this deficiency. It was a smart move on its part: consuming essential amino acids not only helps build muscle mass, but boost long-term health as well.
Just like pea protein, brown rice protein also helps increase weight loss by increasing metabolism and satiety. Studies also show the latter helps reduce glycemic response and shore up liver health. There’s no question brown rice protein will help you muscle up, and then some.
Organic Sacha Inchi Protein
The final component of Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Plant’s Plant Protein Blend is organic Sacha Inchi protein.
Simply put, this is the Inca peanut from Peru. Natives have consumed this superfood for three thousand years or so. One serving gives you roughly 17 grams of organic, plant-based protein.
Experts hail Sacha Inchi as a complete protein source because it has eight essential amino acids. It is also 60 percent protein by weight, which is higher than many legumes and nuts.
Organic Sacha Inchi protein has other impressive health benefits:
- Helps lower bad cholesterol and raises good cholesterol levels
- Contributes to well-being (its tryptophan content is a precursor of tryptophan, which is in many sleep supplements)
- Boosts weight loss
- Enhances cognitive function
- Improves cardiovascular health
- Promotes healthy blood sugar levels
- Boosts calcium absorption for stronger bones
- Wards off inflammation
You can clearly see Sacha Inchi is not your ordinary plant-based protein: it packs a powerful wallop. You cannot pass up on its crucial benefits. We’re stoked it’s in Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Plant.
AncienTrim Organic Grain Blend
This protein supplement’s AncienTrim component makes it a cut above its plant-based counterparts. This ingredient is “a formulation-friendly powder made from the ancient grains amaranth, barley, buckwheat, durum, millet, chia, quinoa, and spelt,” per the manufacturer’s official website.
“AncienTrim makes it possible to add the protein, fiber, and essential amino acids of ancient grains to smoothies, beverages, soups, and more – without any of the typical challenges associated with grain products,” per the same source.
Not only does AncientTrim fortify the essential amino acid profile of Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Plant’s brown rice protein component, but it also helps improve your long-term health.
Buckwheat, quinoa, amaranth, millet, and chia are all time-tested ingredients. The good news: they’re all in Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Plant. Go and reap their benefits today.
Let’s check out the formula ingredients:
- Total fat, 3 g: Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Plant’s three grams of fats per serving represents a measly four percent of the daily value (five percent or less has a low value).
- Saturated fat, 0.5 g: This protein supplement is low in saturated fats at just three percent of the daily value.
- Sodium, 210 mg: Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Plant has average sodium content at nine percent of the daily value. If you’re watching your sodium intake, consult your physician before buying this product.
- Total carbohydrate, 7 g: This product is not a significant source of cabs at just three percent of the daily value. On that note, it should complement any low-carb nutrition plan perfectly.
- Dietary fiber, 2 g: Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Plant is a so-so source of fiber at seven percent of the daily value.
- Total sugars, 1 g: This much sugar per scoop won’t compromise your fitness or nutrition goals. What’s even better is Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Plant uses organic stevia leaf extract, a natural sweetener which helps regulate blood pressure levels. Kudos to the manufacturer for this.
- Protein, 24 g: This supplement’s protein content is at par with its sister products Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey and Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Casein. Plant-based protein can help you grow lean muscle mass like its whey protein counterpart. We say a solid 48 percent of the daily value is more than enough.
- Calcium, 100 mg: This product is a so-so source of calcium at eight percent of the daily value.
- Iron, 4.6 mg: Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Plant is a solid source of iron at 25 percent of the daily value (anything 15 percent or more has a high value). This mineral plays a key role in hemoglobin formation and muscle contraction, regulates body temperature, improve sleep quality, and boost brain development.
- Potassium, 220 mg: This supplement is not a significant source of potassium at just four percent of the daily value.
- Vitamin C, 90 mg: Not only will you muscle up with Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Plant, but you’ll also reap the full benefits of vitamin C (which is equal to an impressive 100 percent of the daily value). This vitamin helps ward off free radicals, regulate blood pressure levels, boost heart and blood vessel health, and improve vision.
- Vitamin B12, 0.6 mcg: Also known as cyanocobalamin, this vitamin helps keep fatigue at bay, boost cardiovascular function, regulate the nervous system, and stifle free radical activity.
There are hundreds (maybe thousands) of plant-based protein supplements on the market. However, Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Plant makes it clear bodybuilding enthusiasts shouldn’t underestimate plant-based protein ever again.
Its powerful Plant Protein Blend harnesses the powers of organic pea protein, organic brown rice protein, and organic Sacha Inchi protein. These don’t have the recognition of whey protein, but they also pack a powerful protein punch, nonetheless.
Yes, whey protein, is still king among customers. However, most plant-based protein has top-notch digestibility and no artificial sweeteners (which are issues with whey). Plus, it is a great alternative for vegans, vegetarians, and individuals with lactose issues. What’s not to like here?
Some fitness experts also believe a combination of pea protein and brown rice protein gives you the same amino acid profile found in whey protein. If you’re also big on the muscle-building amino acid leucine, well, brown rice protein is teeming with it.
The good news: you can find this potent combo in Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Plant. Take this supplement’s name for what it means. Its natural, plant-based ingredients give you the benefits we mentioned.
Customers also say it tastes great and has great solubility. Some plant-based protein supplements are grainy, but not this one. We give a huge thumbs up to its attributes. You won’t be sorry.
The ingredient combo is spot on. The Organic Grain Blend (organic amaranth, organic quinoa, organic buckwheat, organic millet, and organic chia) complement brown rice protein’s essential amino acid profile perfectly.
This blend and the generous amounts of iron, vitamin C, and vitamin B12 give you tremendous health benefits (better heart health, increased antioxidant protection, improved vision, etc.). We’re confident you’ll reap them all when you supplement with Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Plant.
We also give props to the manufacturer for excellent transparency – it breaks down all of the ingredient amounts. Thumbs up.
Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Plant also has no fillers and dirty ingredients. For the most part, plant-based protein supplement have clean ingredient profiles. This one is no exception.
This product also has an excellent reputation among customers. They swear by it, and say it works. We believe them 100 percent.
The only glaring downside is the price tag: one 680-gram container (19 servings) of Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Plant costs $35.99. We’re not surprised one bit. This is a top-notch protein supplement. You have to pay for quality, and that’s what you’ll get.
Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Plant Benefits
Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Plant has the following benefits, per its official website:
- Twenty-four grams of plant-based protein per serving
- Complete essential amino acid profile
- Four grams of branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs) per serving
- High vitamin C content (100 percent of the daily value)
- Great taste and solubility
We agree with all of these claims. Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Plant is a high-quality plant-based protein supplement which gives you a fast return on your investment.
Who Takes It?
The manufacturer intended Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Plant for healthy and active individuals who want to increase muscle mass, meet their daily protein requirements, fill nutrition gaps, boost overall health, and achieve their daily fitness goals.
Any Side Effects?
While Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey has no glaring side effects, please consult your physician if you feel doubtful about any of its ingredients.
The manufacturer also issues a warning:
Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Plant Review Summary
- Impressive ingredients. Natural and plant-based ingredients from top to bottom.
- Twenty-four grams of protein per scoop. Build muscle mass the plant-based way.
- Three plant-based protein sources. Pea protein, brown rice protein, and Sacha Inchi protein.
- AncienTrim Organic Grain Blend. Supplies each scoop with much-needed protein, fiber, and essential amino acids (EAAs).
- Extra health benefits. Generous servings of iron, vitamin C, and vitamin B12.
- Clean ingredients. No dirty ingredients whatsoever.
- Excellent transparency. Manufacturer reveals all of the ingredient amounts. Thumbs up.
- Great reputation. Customers have sung this product’s praises.
- Awesome taste and solubility. Consumers will attest to these.
- Flavor options. Comes in delicious Chocolate and Vanilla options.
- Expensive. One 680-gram container costs $35.99.
Pricing & Where to Buy
- 1 680-gram Container (19-Day Supply): $35.99
- Available online and in retail
Final Word on Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Plant
If you’ve been searching long and hard for an excellent protein supplement, you’ve found it. Say goodbye to bloating and those nasty artificial sweeteners. Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Plant is here to save the day.
The “True Strength of Plant” is no pushover, that’s for sure. Believe it or not, you’ll build muscle mass, achieve your fitness goals, and boost your long-term health with this powerhouse supplement.
We highly recommend you make Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Plant a permanent part of your supplement stack today. It’s one of the best investments you’ll ever make.