Time-tested protein supplement brands are hard to come by these days. Different products sprout just about everywhere. Consumers are bewildered.
They develop a tendency to switch from one brand to another. No matter product loyalty is so rare nowadays.
Enter Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey.
The so-called “True Strength of Whey” has dominated bodybuilding supplement store shelves for the past decade or so.
Will this trend continue? That’s the aim of this review, folks.
About Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey
Most protein powder supplement enthusiasts should be familiar with Optimum Nutrition by now. It’s one of the most renowned brands in the industry. Its Gold Standard 100% Whey protein powder has WPI, WPC, BCAAs, and glutamine, for good measure. Optimum Nutrition proudly claims it is the “Gold Standard” for protein quality. Formula notes:
- 24 grams of protein per scoop. Decent amount for building lean muscle mass.
- Low-calorie. At just 120 calories per serving, it can help build muscle and torch fat.
- Tons of flavors. Choose from Banana Cream, Cake Batter, Chocolate Coconut, Chocolate Malt, Chocolate Mint, Coffee, Cookies & Cream, Delicious Strawberry, Double Rich Chocolate, Extreme Milk Chocolate, French Vanilla Creme, Mocha Cappuccino, Rocky Road, Strawberry Banana, Vanilla Ice Cream, and White Chocolate
Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Supplement Facts (Double Rich Chocolate, 5 lbs.)
Serving Size: 1 Rounded Scoop (30.4 g)
Servings Per Container: 74
Amount Per Serving / % Daily Value
|Calories From Fat||10|
|Total Fat||1 g 2%|
|Saturated Fat||0.5 g 3%|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Cholesterol||30 mg 10%|
|Sodium||130 mg 5%|
|Total Carbohydrate||3 g 1%|
Ingredients: Protein Blend (Whey Protein Isolate, Cultured Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Peptides), Cocoa (Processed With Alkali), Artificial Flavors, Lecithin, Acesulfame Potassium, Aminogen®, Lactase.
Directions for Gold Standard 100% Whey:
SPOON STIRRED: Gold Standard 100% Whey™ is INSTANTIZED. That means if you forgot your shaker cup or don’t have time to get out the blender, you can just add one rounded scoop of Gold Standard 100% Whey™ to a glass filled with 6-8 oz. of water or your favorite beverage. Then mix it up with a spoon. Stir for about 20 seconds or until powder is completely dissolved.
TIP: Adjust the intensity of your Gold Standard 100% Whey™ by varying the amount of liquid that you use to prepare it. For a bolder flavor with slightly more body and sweetness, mix each scoop with 4-6 oz. of water, milk, or your favorite beverage. For a milder tasting, less sweet shake, use 8-10 oz. of liquid per scoop.
Just Good, ‘Ol-Fashioned Whey Protein to Nourish Your Muscles
Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey has long been considered the benchmark for protein powder supplements.
It’s hard to argue with that. Each rounded scoop yields 24 grams of protein. The manufacturer says its product reflects “The True Strength of Whey” because of Gold Standard 100% Whey’s use of whey protein isolates (WPI) as the primary ingredient along with whey protein concentrates (WPC).
Optimum Nutrition claims this formula aims “to support your muscle-building needs after training.” The good news is both WPI and WPC have high amounts of branch-chained amino acids (BCAAs) and are absorbed rapidly into the bloodstream – two factors you definitely want in a post-workout shake.
In addition, both WPI and WPC are considered lean forms of protein which can help an individual achieve his or her weight-loss goals. Plus, both of them mix very well.
We all hate clumpy protein shakes, so Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey has this issue all sorted out from the get-go.
In fact, its official website says, “This superior quality protein has been instantized to mix easily using a shaker cup or just a glass and spoon.”
It’s basically a high-quality protein you can consume even if you’re on the go – a victory for busy people who are determined to meet their daily protein requirements. We like that.
Let’s check out the formula ingredients.
- Total Fat, 1 g: Optimum Nutriton Gold Standard 100% Whey has only one gram of fat for each scoop. Of course, active people need fats to enhance stamina, amp up recovery, and facilitate the anabolic process. Best to get these from dietary sources (salmon, tuna) and fish oil supplements. The good news is Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey has zero trans fats – something you should steer clear of.
- Cholesterol, 30 mg: Let’s not understate the importance of cholesterol. Most people don’t know it manufactures all of the hormones in the body. It’s that vital. In fact, the higher your good cholesterol (HDL) numbers are, the better it is for your cardiovascular system. At 30 mg of cholesterol per scoop, Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey did not go overboard.
- Sodium, 130 mg: The sodium content isn’t as high as MusclePharm Combat (150 mg per scoop) but isn’t as low as MusclePharm Combat 100% Whey (80 mg per scoop). While sodium is important in preventing muscle cramps, too much of it may be detrimental. Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey could actually have more than 130 mg of sodium per scoop (could be in the 150 mg range, if analysis on websites such as Labdoor.com prove to be accurate). If you have any concerns about your cardiovascular health, best to seek the advice of your doctor before purchasing.
- Total Carbohydrate, 3 g: Of course, we didn’t expect Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey to have an exorbitant amount of carbs. Three grams of carbohydrates per scoop is just about right for a protein powder supplement. What’s amazing about this product is it tastes very decent (at least for the Double Rich Chocolate flavor) even if it has just one gram of sugar per serving. That’s a testament to the manufacturer’s commitment to excellence. Well done.
Granted, Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey has a decent amount of protein (24 grams per scoop). Most protein powders have 20-25 grams of protein per serve, so this product is right in the industry average.
Your muscles will benefit from the combination of whey protein isolates (WPI) and whey protein concentrates (WPC).
Plus, the superior solubility of Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey also ensures you can get your much-needed protein fix anytime and anywhere regardless of your lifestyle. Awesome.
We also like the fact this product doesn’t go overboard in terms of its fat, cholesterol, and carbohydrate content. While these all play a vital role in the body, we’re talking about protein here.
Optimum Nutrition takes pride in its “True Strength of Whey” protein formula and has even gone great lengths to emphasize that in its product label.
In addition, each scoop has only 120 calories. It’s a great supplement for people who want to pack on lean muscle mass.
All in all, we give the company props for its potency and transparency. We also tip our hats off to Optimum Nutrition for a clean label, as its Gold Standard 100% Whey has nothing listed under “other ingredients.”
Optimum Nutrition™ Gold Standard 100% Whey contains four grams of glutamine and glutamic acid per scoop. Glutamine is an amino acid – the most abundant in the body – which can help boost the recovery process.
However, we find it a bit perplexing why the manufacturer did not indicate “glutamine” in its ingredients list (although it’s on the product’s label) . It’s probably the only flaw we can think of.
Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Benefits
According to the manufacturer, “By using WPI as the primary ingredient along with premium ultra-filtered whey protein concentrate (WPC), we’re able to pack 24 grams of protein into every serving to support your muscle-building needs after training.”
We won’t argue with that. In fact, we will vouch for Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey as one of the best protein powder supplements on the market today.
It’s hard to go against a product which has WPI, WPC, BCAAs, and glutamine (although it would have been better if the manufacturer would have been more transparent with the latter ingredient).
Who Takes It?
Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey is meant for active men and women who want to maximize their training experience and meet their daily protein requirements.
Moreover, individuals who want to increase muscle building and amp up their recovery will benefit the most from this product.
Any Side Effects?
Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey may not be advisable for people who are allergic to dairy products, as indicated on the warning label:
Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Summary
- Twenty-four grams of protein. Good amount of protein per serving.
- Low-calorie. Excellent product for building lean muscle mass.
- Good combination of WPI and WPC. Helps in packing lean muscle.
- Affordable. Price is commensurate to serving size.
- Time-tested. One of the most trusted brands on the market.
- Transparency. Manufacturer did not include glutamine in ingredients list.
- Possible side effects. Not ideal for people who are lactose intolerant.
Pricing & Buying Info
- 3-serving bag (3-Day Supply): $6.99
- 1-lb. tub (14-Day Supply): $14.98
- 1.9-lb tub (Natural, 27-Day Supply) $29.99
- 2.0-lb. tub (29-Day Supply): $29.98
- 3.5-lb. tub (50-Day Supply): $47.99
- 4.8-lb. tub (Natural, 68-Day Supply): $57.99
- 5.0-lb tub (68-Day Supply):$56.97
- 10-lb.tub (146-Day Supply): $111.99
- Available online and in retail
Final Word on Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey
There’s a simple reason why Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey has stood the test of time: It works. It really does.
There are thousands of protein supplements which may have similar ingredients. Thing is, once consumers choose Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey, they rarely make the switch to other brands because it has exceeded their expectations.
We daresay it has indeed set the Gold Standard for protein powder supplements. The moment you spot is famous red-label protein bag in the store, you know its a top-notch product.
That being said, the product only has a few minor flaws. At $56.97 for the 5-lb. tub, it’s a good return on your investment. You may find yourself being a repeat customer once all is said and done. Trust us.