Could there be a supplement which can top Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey as the so-called gold standard of protein supplements?
MuscleTech Premium Gold 100% Whey Protein could possibly be up to the task, folks.
This should be one heck of a review.
About MuscleTech Premium Gold 100% Whey Protein
According to the manufacturer’s official website, MuscleTech Premium Gold 100% Whey Protein is “an insanely delicious whey protein isolate and peptide formula developed by the world-renowned MuscleTech research team.” Formula notes:
- Twenty-four grams of protein per serving. Helps build lean muscle mass.
- Loaded with calcium. Twenty-one percent of the daily value.
- Delicious. One of the best-tasting protein supplements on the market.
MuscleTech Premium Gold 100% Whey Protein Supplement Facts (Double Rich Chocolate, 2.5 lbs.)
|Serving Size 1 Scoop (34g)|
Servings Per Container Approx. 33
|Nutrient||Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value|
|Calories From Fat||20|
|Total Fat||2 g||3%*|
|Saturated Fat||1 g||5%*|
|Total Carbohydrate||4 g||1%*|
|Dietary Fiber less than||1 g||4%*|
|Ingredients: Premium Protein Blend (Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Peptides), Whey Protein Concentrate, Cocoa (Processed With Alkali), Natural And Artificial Flavor, Soy Lecithin, Calcium Carbonate, Gum Blend (Cellulose Gum, Xanthan Gum, Carrageenan), Salt, Non-Dairy Creamer (Sunflower Oil, Corn Syrup Solids, Sodium Caseinate, Mono- And Diglycerides, Dipotassium Phosphate, Tricalcium Phosphate, Soy Lecithin, Tocopherols [Preservative]), Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium|
|Directions For Premium Gold 100% Whey: Mix 1 scoop with 4 to 6 oz. of cold water or skim milk in a glass or shaker cup. Use between major meals and before and after exercise. Read the entire label before use and follow directions provided. Note: To maintain product freshness, store in a cool, dry place (60°F to 80° F). This product is sold by weight. Some settling may occur. Shake container before use.|
The New Gold Standard of Protein?
We know, we know.
Whenever the phrase “Gold Standard” pops up, Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey first comes to mind.
But wait – there’s a protein supplement which could be the new gold standard of bodybuilding supplements.
Enter MuscleTech Premium Gold 100% Whey Protein.
You’ve probably tried MuscleTech’s signature protein supplement, NITRO-TECH (the so-called “Most Powerful Protein Formula Ever Developed.” It’s powerful, but it’s not the best in the industry, in our opinion).
Well, MuscleTech is back with a vengeance with another head-turning product.
According to the manfacturer’s official website, MuscleTech Gold 100% Whey Protein has 24 grams of protein per serving.
MuscleTech Gold 100% Whey Protein’s premium protein blend is comprised primarily of whey protein isolate and whey peptides.
We believe this combination will help take your lean-muscle building goals and post-workout recovery to the next level, folks.
This product does have whey protein concentrate (WPC), which is the least pure kind of protein among the three (80 percent, tops).
Nonetheless, it’s high amino acid and immune-boosting content as well as good solubility make it an attractive option for most fitness enthusiasts.
However, it’s not the star of MuscleTech Gold 100% Whey Protein.
Whey protein isolate (WPI) is at least 90 percent protein because the additional filtration process it undergoes strips the excess fats and carbs. Most WPI supplements have one gram or less of carbs and fats per serving.
It comes as no surprise those who want to build lean muscle mass prefer whey protein isolate.
On the other hand, whey peptides are whey protein isolates which undergo further processing. These peptides are smaller than whey protein hydrolysates, so guess what?
Your body absorbs them faster than any other form of protein.
Hey, that’s what you need after a tough grind at the gym – a fast-absorbing kind of protein which will help repair and nourish your muscles.
No less than the manufacturer’s official website states whey peptides “have the powerful ability to promote rapid recovery from exercise and improve nutrient delivery by increasing insulin.”
MuscleTech also emphasizes whey peptides “have one of the highest biological values of any protein source.”
Whey peptides are up to the task, though they contain fewer amino acids than the other kinds of whey protein.
Oh, and did we mention whey peptide supplements are expensive?
That’s the downside, folks.
Let’s check out the formula ingredients:
- Total fat, 2 g: MuscleTech Premium Gold 100% Whey Protein has just three percent the daily value for fats. That means it’s a quality low-fat supplement which will help you build lean muscle mass. We attribute the fat content of the Double Rich Chocolate flavor to its cocoa and sunflower oil content. The latter has good health benefits such as strengthening of the immune system and warding off of antioxidants, although the amount is miniscule.
- Cholesterol, 45 mg: We’ve seen far too many protein supplements with high cholesterol lately. Sadly, this one isn’t an exception. Forty-five milligrams per scoop may not seem much, but it has a daily value of 18 percent. Think about it: Anything higher than five percent is considered excessive. Better take this product in moderation if you’re monitoring your cholesterol levels.
- Total carbohydrate, 4 g: MuscleTech Premium Gold 100% Whey Protein is not only low in fats, it’s also low in carbs (one percent of the daily value). Well, we expected that from the get-go, considering the lower carb content of its whey protein isolate and whey peptide components. Sugar makes up just two grams per serving. Red flag, folks: This supplement has carrageenan, an additive which has been linked to several ailments. Watch out.
- Calcium, 210 mg: One of the best things about MuscleTech Premium Gold 100% Whey Protein is its calcium content. This product has 21 percent of the daily value for this mineral. We predict your bones, teeth, and blood pressure will benefit immensely. Awesome.
- Iron, 1 mg: We said it before, but it bears repeating: A protein supplement which is a good source of iron is as rare as they come, folks. MuscleTech Premium Gold 100% Whey Protein has six percent of the daily value for iron, which makes it a decent – but not great – source.
- Sodium, 180 mg: If you follow the DASH Diet, you should know by now anything more than five percent of the daily value for salt is a tad bit excessive. This supplement has eight percent of the daily value. If you have no blood pressure issues, taking it won’t backfire on you. Otherwise, better consult your doctor before purchasing.
MuscleTech Premium Gold 100% Whey Protein has 24 grams of protein per serving.
Consider the fact its Premium Protein Blend consists of whey protein isolate and whey peptides. The latter has one of the highest biological values of any protein source, per the manufacturer.
That’s saying a lot, folks.
With that, we believe MuscleTech Premium Gold 100% Whey Protein can help you build lean muscle mass and boost recovery in conjunction with regular exercise, good nutrition, and enough rest.
This supplement is also low in fats and low in carbs. These attributes will help you put on the muscle you want without the unwanted flab.
The main bonus when you consume MuscleTech Premium Gold 100% Whey Protein is the extra calcium content.
At 21 percent of the daily value for this nutrient, this product will help you maintain healthy teeth, bones, and blood pressure levels. Awesome.
We would like to give props to the manufacturer for good transparency – you get to see how much of each ingredient goes in your body. Plus, there are no proprietary blends.
However, there are some red flags.
We alredy mentioned the inclusion of carrageenan, an additive which has received its share of scrutiny from fitness experts. Try to steer clear of this ingredient.
Plus, the number of ingredients could be a dead giveaway: There could be more fillers in this supplement.
You should also be wary of MuscleTech Premium Gold 100% Whey Protein’s high cholesterol levels (15 percent of the daily value).
In addition, the sodium levels are somewhat high at six percent of the daily value.
If you’re monitoring your cholesterol and sodium intake, we urge you to ask for your doctor’s opinion before purchasing this product.
MuscleTech Premium Gold 100% Whey Protein Benefits
According to the manufacturer’s official website, MuscleTech Premium Gold 100% Whey has the following benefits:
- “Instantized & ultra-clean 100% whey protein”
- Helps build lean muscle and increase strength
- Has fast-absorbing whey peptides
We agree with these points (not so much on the “ultra-clean” part, though). The combination of WPI and fast-absorbing whey peptides will help you achieve your fitness goals, folks.
The manufacturer also says MuscleTech Premium Gold 100% Whey has the “best-in-class” taste.
We agree with this one wholeheartedly – it’s one of the best-tasting protein supplements on the market. Customers on other big-name websites also swear by it.
Who Takes It?
MuscleTech Premium Gold 100% Whey is intended for healthy and active adults who want to build lean muscle mass, boost recovery, and meet their daily protein requirements.
Any Side Effects?
MuscleTech Premium Gold 100% Whey has no glaring side effects, although individuals who are monitoring their cholesterol and sodium levels should consult a doctor before purchasing.
The manufacturer also issues a warning:
MuscleTech Premium Gold 100% Whey Protein Summary
- Twenty-four grams of protein per serving. Will help you achieve your fitness goals.
- Premium Protein Blend. Combination of whey protein isolate and whey peptides.
- Low in fats and carbs. Helps complement the lean-muscle-building process.
- Loaded with calcium. For healthy teeth, bones, and blood pressure levels.
- Good transparency. All ingredients accounted for.
- High in cholesterol and somewhat high in sodium. Check with your doctor first.
- Possible inclusion of fillers. Number of ingredients could be a dead giveaway.
- Inclusion of carrageenan. Controversial additive which has been linked to several ailments.
Pricing & Buying Info
- 1 2.5-lb. container (34-Day Supply): $26.99
- Available online and in retail
Final Word on MuscleTech Premium Gold 100% Whey Protein
So, is MuscleTech Premium Gold 100% Whey Protein the new gold standard of protein supplements.
Hey, this product has a tremendous upside (24 grams of protein per scoop, added calcium, etc.). However, there are too many downsides for our liking.
Interestingly enough, this product’s cons are strikingly similar to MuscleTech NITRO-TECH. No surprise there. They come from the same manufacturer.
MuscleTech Premium Gold 100% Whey Protein is good in its own right, but we’d rather stick to the current gold standard, Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey.