There are many underdogs in the bodybuilding supplement industry which can dethrone powerhouses such as Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey.
Could BPI Sports BEST PROTEIN be one of them?
As the name implies, BPI Sports BEST PROTEIN™ relies on a “superior formula” and an “unbelievable flavor” to back up its claims.
This review ought to be one heck of a ride, folks.
About BPI Sports BEST PROTEIN
According to the manufacturer’s official website, BEST PROTEIN ” is just 24 grams per scoop of high-quality whey protein designed to support strength and lean muscle mass. Not to mention, it tastes amazing!” Formula notes:
- High-quality protein blend. Twenty-four grams of whey protein concentrate, whey protein isolate, and whey protein hydrolysate.
- 5.5 grams of BCAAs. Helps kickstart the protein synthesis process and amp up energy levels.
- Comes in five flavors. These are Chocolate Brownie, Cookies and Cream, S’mores, Straweberries & Cream, and Vanilla Swirl.
BPI Sports BEST PROTEIN Supplement Facts (Cookies and Cream, 5 lbs.)
Serving Size 1 Scoop (32 grams)
Servings Per Container Approx. 71
|Amount Per Serving / % Daily Value *|
|Calories From Fat||15|
|Total Fat||1.5 g 2%|
|Saturated Fat||1 g 5%|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Cholesterol||40 mg 13%|
|Sodium||140 mg 6%|
|Total Carbohydrate||3 g 1%|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g 0%|
|Protein||24 g 48%|
Ingredients: Protein Blend (Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Hydrolysate), Cookie Fines (Enriched Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate [Vitamin B1], Riboflavin [Vitamin B2], Folic Acid), Sugar, Vegetable Oil (Soybean, Palm and Palm Kernel Oil with TBHQ for Freshness), Cocoa Treated with Alkali, Contains Two Percent or Less of High Fructose Corn Syrup, Degerminated Yellow Corn Flour, Chocolate, Salt, Dextose, Baking Soda, Whey, Soy Lecithin), Natural and Artificial Flavors, Xanthan Gum, Salt, Soy Lecithin, Sucralose, and Lactase.
Contain(s): Milk and soy.
Directions For Best Protein: Mix one scoop of BEST PROTEIN™ with 5-6 ounces of cold water and drink immediately after workout or strenuous activity. May also be taken anytime to promote recovery and help build strong muscles. For optimal results, use in conjunction with a proper diet and always consult with a physician prior to beginning a training regimen.
BPI Sports BEST PROTEIN: Superior Formula, Unbelievable Flavor
As a protein powder consumer, two of the things you want in your product are quality and taste.
BPI Sports BEST PROTEIN offers you the best of both.
Each 24-gram scoop of BPI Sports BEST PROTEIN contains a combination of whey protein isolate, whey protein concentrate, and whey protein hydrolysate. We feel including all three kinds of whey ought to make up for the others’ shortcomings.
For instance, whey protein isolate is the purer form of protein (at least 90 percent) and contains less fats and carbs than whey protein concentrate (which is around 80 percent protein). Whey protein isolate (WPI) also has lower lactase content, making it more suitable for people who are lactose intolerant.
Finally, WPI has a faster absorption rate. It is the better choice for immediate post-workout replenishment because the key here is to consume your protein as soon as your last rep at the gym ends. You want to make the immediate transition from a catabolic state into an anabolic one.
On the flip side, whey protein concentrate (WPC) is bigger on flavor than its WPI counterpart. It makes you feel fuller for longer periods of time because it has a slower absorption rate than WPI. Because of that, WPC is ideal for those who want to lose weight and feel satiated for hours before their next meal.
Plus, whey protein concentrate is cheaper than whey protein isolate – the latter undergoes a microfiltration process which adds to the cost of the protein component.
Finally, there’s whey protein hydrolysate – the ultra-pure form and the fastest-absorbing kind of whey. Its rich amino acid profile and fast absorption rate make it a better option as a post-workout replenishment option than whey protein isolate.
Whey protein hydrolysate is the most expensive among the three kinds of whey.
BPI Sports BEST PROTEIN gives you the best each kind of whey has to offer. You get effective post-workout nourishment, longer satiety, and improved recovery. Granted, you pay a bit more for quality protein, but you will get results.
Now, let’s check out the formula ingredients:
- Total fat, 1.5 g: We feel this amount of fats is at par with other top-notch protein supplements. Most of it comes from BPI Sports BEST PROTEIN’s vegetable oil component.
- Cholesterol, 40 mg: BPI Sports BEST PROTEIN’s cholesterol content is slightly lower than the industry average (around 70-80 mg per serving). For that, we tip our hat off to the manufacturer, although its product’s cholesterol content isn’t as low as industry leader MyProtein Impact Whey Protein (which has zero cholesterol per serving).
- Sodium, 140 mg: The product’s sodium content is at par with the likes of MusclePharm Combat Protein Powder’s. It’s a tad bit high (but nothing extreme). If you have a cardiovascular issue and this concers you, ask your physician for advice before purchasing.
- Total carbohydrate, 3 g: We expect a protein supplement which has whey protein isolate and whey protein hydrolysate to have a low carb content. Sugars comprise two of the three grams of carbs per serving. While the sugar content isn’t high at all, the inclusion of high fructose corn syrup – even if it is less than two percent of the overall ingredient makeup – is a red flag. Be warned high fructose corn syrup may compromise the immune system, accelerate the aging process, and even cause diabetes.
We have absolutely no gripes about BPI Sports BEST PROTEIN’s quality protein blend consisting of whey protein isolate, whey protein concentrate, and whey protein hydrolysate. At 24 grams of protein per serving (48 percent of the required daily value), we’re confident this product will help you achieve your muscle-building goals one way or another.
Want more evidence? The product has 5.5 grams of BCAAs per serving. These amino acids help trigger the protein synthesis process and provide you with more energy. Beautiful.
BPI Sports BEST PROTEIN is also an ideal low-fat and low-cholesterol protein supplement. The sodium and sugar content isn’t sky-high, either (although those with cardiovascular issues should consult with their doctor first).
At 15 percent the daily value of calcium, BPI Sports BEST PROTEIN is a decent source. However, it doesn’t measure up to the calcium content of competitors such as Quest Protein Powder (which has a whopping 35 percent of the daily value of calcium).
On the other hand, watch out for the high fructose corn syrup content – the first ingredient we flagged. Plus, the number of ingredients suggest there may be fillers (although the manufacturer says otherwise).
BPI Sports BEST PROTEIN Benefits
BPI Sports enumerates the benefits of BEST PROTEIN on its official website:
- Provides your body with fuel for lean muscle building
- Best taken immediately after an intense training session for ultimate muscle recovery and rebuilding.
- Twenty-four grams of protein per scoop helps support fat loss to help you achieve your fitness goals.
- No fillers or maltodextrin, just 100% whey proteins to enhance strength gains and muscle retention.
We agree BPI Sports BEST PROTEIN is a solid choice in achieving your muscle-building and recovery goals. The protein blend packs a lot of punch – you can even enjoy it as a snack in between meals.
What we don’t agree with: The absence of fillers. Like we said, the number of ingredients may be a dead giveaway, folks. Plus, you should know the evil sweetener known as high fructose corn syrup by now.
Who Takes It?
BPI Sports BEST PROTEIN is intended for athletes and active individuals who are at least 18 years of age and who want to build lean muscle, increase strength, boost recovery, and meet their daily protein requirements.
Any Side Effects?
BEST Sports BEST PROTEIN has no glaring side effects. We just caution those with cardiovascular issues to be wary of the 140 milligrams of sodium per serving.
Those who are allergic to milk, peanuts, and egg, should also steer clear of BPI Sports BEST PROTEIN.
Once again, please know BPI Sports BEST PROTEIN has high fructose corn syrup. While the product only has less than two percent of this ingredient, the side effects (which we previously mentioned) are worth noting.
BPI Sports BEST PROTEIN Summary
- Quality protein blend. Combination of WPI, WPC, and whey protein hydrolysate.
- Twenty-four grams of protein per serving. Good for building lean muscle and boosting recovery.
- Low-fat and low-cholesterol. Will complement your muscle-building goals.
- 5.5 grams of BCAAs per serving. Triggers protein synthesis and provides more energy.
- Has high fructose corn syrup. Sweetener which has been a under a lot of scrutiny.
- Possible inclusion of fillers. Number of ingredients may be a dead giveaway.
Pricing & Buying Info
- 1 four-serving container (4-Day Supply): $7.99
- 1 one-lb. container (12-Day Supply): $14.98
- 1 two-lb. container (28-Day Supply): $31.99
- 1 five-lb. (71-Day Supply) container: $61.99
- Available online and in retail
Final Word on BPI Sports BEST PROTEIN
So, does BPI Sports BEST PROTEIN have the superior formula and unbelievable flavor the manufacturer claims it has?
Like we said, we love the protein blend combination of whey protein concentrate, whey protein isolate, and hydrolyzed whey protein (not to mention 5.5 grams of BCAAs per serving), but something’s amiss here.
Look no further than a dirty ingredient known as high fructose corn syrup and the possible inclusion of fillers.
As for the taste, it’s pretty solid, but not as great as the likes of Universal Nutrition Animal Whey.
All in all, BPI Sports BEST PROTEIN is not the best, but it could stake its claim should it come up with an improved and cleaner formula.