Have you been training like mad and doing all of the intangibles (nutrition and supplementation), to no avail?
Perhaps you’ve been falling short on rest and recovery.
Maybe the dreaded stress hormone, cortisol, has gotten the better of you.
Fear not, folks: MHP RECOVERY PM is here to save the day.
It’s one of the rare sleep products which put a premium on cortisol reduction for shorter recovery time.
Enjoy the review, as always.
About MHP RECOVERY PM
MHP RECOVERY PM “contains a blend of natural, non-habit-forming, clinically-researched vitamins, minerals, and herbs to help you sleep better and wake up feeling refreshed without the morning grogginess,” per its official website. Formula notes:
- Impressive ingredients. Will work synergistically for optimal sleep and recovery and reduced cortisol levels.
- Versatile components. Magnesium and zinc help improve sleep and increase testosterone levels.
- Addresses long-term health. Helps improve heart health and ward off free radicals, to name a few.
MHP RECOVERY PM Supplement Facts (90 Capsules)
|Serving Size: 3 Capsules
Servings Per Container: 30
|Nutrient||Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value|
|Vitamin B6 (As Pyridoxine HCl)||2 mg||120%|
|Magnesium (As Magnesium Aspartate)||100 mg||25%|
|Zinc (As Zinc Monomethionine & Zinc Aspartate)||15 mg||130%|
|Rapid Muscle Recovery Complex||855 mg||‡|
|CherryPURE® Tart Cherry (Prunus Cerasus) extract (skin)||480 mg|
|Anti-Catabolic BCKA Complex (3:1:1 ratio): Alpha-Keto-Leucine, Alpha-Keto-Isoleucine, Alpha-Keto-Valine||250 mg|
|Sensoril® Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) root and leaf (10% Withanolides)||125 mg|
|Sandman Deep Sleep Matrix||505 mg||‡|
|Valerian Root Extract (0.8% Valerenic Acid)||200 mg|
|GABA (4-Aminobutanoic Acid)||150 mg|
|5-HTP (from Griffonia simplicifolia seed extract)||25 mg|
|Hops Extract (Humulus Lupulus)||25 mg|
|Other Ingredients: Hypromellose, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Magnesium Stearate, Silicon Dioxide.|
|Directions For Recovery PM: Take 3 capsules with 4-6 fl. oz. of water, 20-30 minutes before bedtime.|
The All-In-One Sleep & Recovery Formula
We have reviewed several MHP bodybuilding supplements here on B5.
As good as these products are, they have one common trend which gnawed at our conscience: proprietary blends.
The manufacturer, MHP (which stands for “Maximum Human Performance”), seems reluctant in divulging the exact dosages.
Our take: what for?
It’s the consumers’ right to know exactly how much of each ingredient they’re putting in their bodies.
How can they know if they’re overdosing or underdosing on a particular component?
Here’s the takeaway: proprietary blends are deceiving and make no sense whatsoever.
On that note, we’re hoping that trend ends with MHP RECOVERY PM.
As the name implies, it’s MHP’s “All-In-One Sleep & Recovery Formula,” per its official website.
The manufacturer says this sleep product’s main objectives are “optimal sleep and recovery.”
We like that. It seems it’s what the doctor ordered for hard-training athletes and bodybuilding enthusiasts.
“Recovery PM contains a blend of natural, non-habit-forming clinically-researched vitamins, minerals, and herbs to help you sleep better and wake up feeling refreshed without the morning grogginess,” per its official website.
We think this is awesome. Why purchase a product which can make you sleep but comes up short on that refreshing feeling upon waking up?
It doesn’t make sense.
“This unique formula contains precise nutrients that your body needs to speed recovery, reduce muscle breakdown, and suppress the stress hormone cortisol,” per MHP’s website.
We’ve reviewed several sleep products, but a few – if any – have stressed cortisol reduction as much as MHP RECOVERY PM.
You see, the higher your stress hormone levels are, the lower the chance you’ll grow muscle.
Long story short, folks, cortisol is an impediment to muscle growth – you can train hard, eat healthy, and supplement smart, but if your cortisol levels are out of whack, it all amounts to nothing.
Not only does the manufacturer focus on cortisol reduction, but it also emphasizes the anabolic qualities of sleep.
“Well, during this time, your body is primed to grow and recover,” per MHP’s official website.
“Your potential to produce anabolic hormones (growth hormone, IGF-1, and testosterone) is primed, catabolic hormones (cortisol) are reduced, and the delivery of nutrients to your muscles is enhanced,” per the same source.
We hope MHP RECOVERY PM can live up to its claims.
This product has two complexes: the Rapid Muscle Recovery Complex and the Sandman Deep Sleep Matrix.
The former takes up 855 milligrams for every three-capsule serving.
Leading the charge is 480 milligrams of CherryPURE tart cherry (Prunus cerasus) extract (skin) per serving.
Simply known as tart cherry, this ingredient is a “potent, natural antioxidant shown in two clinical trials in endurance and strength athletes to speed recovery,” per MHP’s official website.
Here are the other benefits of tart cherries:
- May increase strength and keep soreness at bay
- May improve brain health
- Boosts the immune system
- Could possibly regulate blood pressure levels
The company points out tart cherries “can also promote restful sleep.”
Any time an ingredient nails several of a supplement’s key objectives, that’s fantastic.
Next up is 250 milligrams of the Anti-Catabolic BCKA Complex (3:1:1 ratio, comprised of alpha-keto-leucine, alpha-keto-isoleucine, and alpha-keto-valine) per serving.
Another proprietary blend. Boo.
Well, the trend with MHP continues. Bummer.
If you do the math, alpha-keto-leucine takes up 150 milligrams per serving while alpha-keto-isoleucine and alpha-keto-valine take up 50 milligrams each.
“This unique BCKA complex helps manage protein breakdown and recycles anabolic amino acids so you can recover faster from your intense workouts,” per MHP’s official website.
In other words, it helps increase anabolism and decrease catabolism.
That’s always a plus in any sleep and recovery complex, folks.
MHP RECOVERY PM also has 125 milligrams of Sensoril Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) root and leaf (10 percent Withanolides) per serving.
Ashwagandha is an adaptogenic herb which is popular for its abilities to lower cortisol levels and balance thyroid hormones.
Plus, it can help enhance your mood, ward off nasty free radicals, and boost stamina and endurance.
Fitness experts have sung this ingredient’s praises – it’s a tremendous addition to MHP RECOVERY PM.
On the other hand, this product’s Sandman Deep Sleep Matrix takes up 505 milligrams per three-capsule serving.
This is where you will find the traditional sleep product ingredients.
First up is 200 milligrams of valerian root extract per serving.
This is a flowering plant which helps one fall asleep faster, quell anxiety, promote healthy blood pressure levels, and keep muscle cramps at bay.
You can’t go wrong with this one, folks – it’s a sleep product ingredient with a proven track record.
For its part, MHP RECOVERY PM’s GABA (4-aminobutanoic acid) component (150 milligrams per serving) is another great inclusion.
This neurotransmitter helps one fall asleep faster, lower anxiety levels, boost weight loss, and increase libido.
More importantly, no known side effects.
Another common sleep product ingredient is l-theanine, which takes up 100 milligrams per serving.
This amino acid (which is found naturally in green tea) helps lower stress levels and regulate blood pressure levels.
Plus, l-theanine also helps offset the effects of caffeine (you can find a perfect example in the pre-workout 4 Gauge), which, in turn, will help you sleep better.
MHP RECOVERY PM also has 25 milligrams of 5-HTP (from Griffonia simplicifolia seed extract) per serving.
This is an African plant is a precursor of serotonin, a neurotransmitter which helps improve sleep quality and quell anxeity.
We think it’s an awesome inclusion.
Another key ingredient is 25 milligrams of hops extract (Humulus lupulus)(strobile)(4:1) per serving.
You’d be surprised to find out this ingredient is a derivative of beer.
More specifically, it’s a plant which has impressive sedative effects.
In fact, the Journal of Sleep Disorders & Therapy’s January 5, 2012 issue (via OMICSonline.org) says, “Clinical trials with hops gave satisfactory results as the improvement of sleep quality in patients with insomnia is concerned.”
Who would’ve thought?
For our part, we’re glad it’s in MHP RECOVERY PM.
Finally, this supplement has five milligrams of melatonin per serving.
This is a hormone found in the pineal gland which helps regulate one’s sleep-wake cycles.
Not only that, but it also helps keep free radicals at bay, boost heart health, ward off inflammation, regulate the immune system, and provide relief from jet lag.
Simply put, there’s more to this sleep ingredient than meets the eye.
All in all, MHP RECOVERY PM is a promising sleep and recovery product which should help bodybuilding enthusiasts achieve their fitness goals.
Let’s check out the formula ingredients:
- Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine HCl), 2 mg: Wow. This sleep product has solid Vitamin B6 content at 120 percent of the daily value (anything more than 15 percent has a high value). Don’t be surprised, folks: pyridoxine hydrochloride helps regulate sleep cycles to facilitate the recovery process. Plus, it complements MHP RECOVERY PM’s melatonin content perfectly. Vitamin B6 also helps keep homocysteine levels in check for better heart health.
- Magnesium (as magnesium aspartate), 100 mg: This mineral helps filter calcium from the muscles. This, in turn, produces a relaxing sensation which sets the stage for better sleep (no wonder many people drink milk before bedtime – it is a rich source of magnesium). Magnesium also helps shore up heart health and ramp up testosterone levels (for increased muscle mass and strength). MHP RECOVERY PM’s 25 percent of the daily value for magnesium isn’t sky high, but it should help.
- Zinc (as zinc monomethionine and zinc aspartate), 15 mg: This is another mineral known for its sleep-inducing prowess. Zinc helps metabolize melatonin. It also has good sedative and calming effects. Zinc also helps ramp up testosterone levels, ward off free radicals, boost heart and brain health, and regulate blood sugar levels. MHP RECOVERY PM’s impressive 130 percent of the daily value for zinc ensures you reap all of these great benefits.
- CherryPURE tart cherry (Prunus cerasus) extract (skin), 480 mg: An antioxidant which helps promote deeper sleep and faster recovery. Tart cherry also helps increase strength, regulate the immune system, and possibly regulate blood pressure levels.
- Anti-catabolic BCKA Complex (3:1:1 ratio): alpha-keto-leucine, alpha-keto-isoleucine, alpha-keto-valine, 250 mg: A complex which stops protein breakdown dead in its tracks. The manufacturer also claims it “recycles anabolic amino acids” for faster recovery.
- Sensoril ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) root and leaf (10 percent withanolides), 125 mg: An adaptogenic herb which helps keep cortisol (stress hormone) levels in check and balance thyroid hormones. Ashwaganhda also helps increase stamina and endurance and keep free radicals at bay.
- Valerian root extract (0.8 percent valerenic acid), 200 mg: A flowering plant which helps promote better sleep, lower anxiety levels, and regulate blood pressure levels.
- GABA (4-aminobutanoic acid), 150 mg: A neurotransmitter which helps promote better sleep, quell anxiety, increase weight loss, and increase libido.
- L-theanine, 100 mg: An amino acid naturally found in green tea which helps lower stress and promote healthy blood pressure levels. It also keeps the effects of caffeine in check.
- 5-HTP (from Griffonia simplicifolia seed extract), 25 mg: An African plant and serotonin precursor for better sleep quality and lower anxiety levels.
- Hops extract (Humulus lupulus)(strobile)(4:1), 25 mg: A derivative of beer and sedative which helps promote better sleep.
- Melatonin, 5 mg: A hormone which helps regulate sleep-wake cycles. Melatonin also helps ward off free radicals, improve cardiovascular and immune system health, and provide jet lag relief.
The manufacturer says MHP RECOVERY PM puts a premium on “optimal sleep and recovery.”
You better take its word for it. This product is for real, folks.
Like we said, we rarely stumble upon a sleep product which emphasizes cortisol reduction.
You’ve seen the ingredients for yourself. We told you what they can do (notice a majority of them helps quell anxiety).
With MHP RECOVERY PM, you are sure to lower your stress hormone levels once and for all.
On that note, we love the choice of ingredients – we’re confident these components will work synergistically for the best possible results.
If you’re a keen observer, you’ll notice some of the ingredients such as magnesium and zinc help you sleep better and recover faster (in this case, you’ll also enjoy ramped-up testosterone levels for increased strength and muscle mass).
Plus, these ingredients also provide impressive extra health benefits (Vitamin B6 for better heart health, melatonin for increased free-radical protection, ashwagandha for balanced thyroid hormones, etc.).
No fillers, either. Awesome.
Give credit to the folks at MHP – they did their homework.
Alas, they fell short on the proprietary blend issue again (see the Anti-Catabolic BCKA Complex).
Too bad. If you think about it, they already disclosed the other ingredients.
Nonetheless, MHP RECOVERY PM enjoys a good reputation among consumers – they vouch for its sleep-inducing and recovery-enhancing abilities.
We do, too.
Get yours today, folks.
MHP RECOVERY PM Benefits
MHP RECOVERY PM’s “unique formula contains precise nutrients that your body needs to speed recovery, reduce muscle breakdown, and suppress the stress hormone cortisol,” per its official website.
Who Takes It?
MHP RECOVERY PM is intended for healthy and active individuals as well as hard-training athletes who are at least 18 years of age who want improved sleep quality, shorter recovery time, lower stress levels, and better long-term health.
Any Side Effects?
While MHP RECOVERY PM has no glaring side effects, please consult with your physician if you feel doubtful about any of its ingredients.
The manufacturer also issues a warning:
MHP RECOVERY PM Summary
- Impressive ingredients. Components work synergistically for improved sleep and recovery.
- Solid Vitamin B6 and zinc content. One hundred twenty and 130 percent of the daily value, respectively.
- Versatile ingredients. Magnesium and zinc help promote better sleep and ramp up testosterone levels.
- Classic sleep ingredients. Valerian root extract, GABA, l-theanine, and melatonin.
- No fillers. Awesome.
- Good reputation. Customers have given it good ratings online.
- Proprietary blend. This refers to the Anti-Catabolic BCKA Complex.
Pricing & Buying Info
- 1 90-Capsule Bottle (30-Day Supply): $24.99
- Available online and in retail
Final Word on MHP RECOVERY PM
MHP RECOVERY PM has exceeded our expectations.
It all adds up, folks: if you want a product which helps promote better sleep, shorten recovery time, and annihilate cortisol, this is it.
We highly recommend you buy MHP RECOVERY PM and watch your results soar.