What first comes to mind when you hear MHP DARK MATTER?
If you mentioned some unfamiliar outer space substance, we don’t blame you – the name is unusual, to say the least.
On the other hand, this post-workout product’s ingredient combination is also unique, albeit in a good way.
Another exciting review awaits you.
About MHP DARK MATTER
The manufacturer dubs MHP DARK MATTER “The Ultimate Post-Workout Growth Accelerator,” per its official website. Formula notes:
- 10:1:1 BCAA ratio. Loaded with leucine for maximum muscle growth.
- Has wheat protein. One of the rare post-workout supplements which has this ingredient.
- Uses proprietary blend as a selling point. Not good at all.
MHP DARK MATTER Supplement Facts (Blue Raspberry, 2.6 lbs.)
|Serving Size: 1 Scoop (38 g)|
Servings Per Container: 40
|Nutrient||Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value|
|Calories From Fat||0 g|
|Total Fat||0 g||0%†|
|Total Carbohydrate||25 g||8%†|
|Chromium (as chromium picolinate)||100 mcg||83%|
|DARK MATTER Hyper-Anabolic Growth Accelerator Matrix 36 g|
|GLYCOSACCHARIDE-FST Fast Acting Glycogen Replenishment and Insulin Spiking Complex (28,475 mg) [homo-polysaccharides from potato starch, oligosaccharides from Maltoplex-18™ Glucose Polymers, polysaccharides from Waxy Maize, iAMP Insulin Amplifiers (4-hydroisoleucine, guanidinoproplenic acid and chromium picolinate)]. ProSYNTHAGEN® Peptide: Protein Synthesis Accelerator (5,050 mg) [full spectrum oligopeptide amino acids from wheat protein hydrolysate (containing 30% glutamine peptides), 10:1:1 BCAA complex (L-leucine, L-isoleucine, L-valine) and L-phenylalanine]. HydroSIZE®: Multi-Phase Creatine Transport and Cell Volumizing Matrix (2,150 mg) [creatine monohydrate, CreatineMagnaPower® (as magnesium creatine chelate), creatine gluconate and glycerol monostearate].|
|Other ingredients: Natural and artificial flavors, citric acid, xanthan gum, silica, sunflower lecithin, malic acid, Blue #1 Lake, acesulfame potassium, sucralose and Red #40.|
|Directions For Dark Matter: DARK MATTER is a Hyper-Anabolic Ultimate Post-Workout Muscle Growth Accelerator designed to be taken immediately after your workout. Add 1 scoop to 8-10 fl. oz. of water in a glass or shaker bottle immediately after training. For best results, take 1-2 servings daily. Stir or shake vigorously before drinking.|
The Post-Workout Muscle Growth Promoter
At first glance, MHP DARK MATTER sounds like some sort of outer space material which came crashing down to earth.
Think something gooey and slimy – the type you saw in your Saturday morning cartoon marathons when you were in second grade.
Well, it turns out MHP DARK MATTER is a potent post-workout supplement. Not only that, the manufacturer dubs it “The Ultimate Post-Workout Growth Accelerator,” per its official website.
Interesting, to say the least.
In our minds, could it possibly trump the likes of KAGED MUSCLE RE-KAGED (one of the most impressive post-workout supplements we’ve reviewed ever) and MyProtein Hurricane XS (just as impressive and comprehensive)?
MHP DARK MATTER has its work cut out for it, folks.
The manufacturer puts a premium on the post-workout anabolic window – the time when you must feed your body vital nutrients to grow muscle and recover faster.
During this time, MHP DARK MATTER provides you “with the proper nutrients for greater anabolic growth and recovery,” per its official website.
This product features an ANABOLIC AXIS comprised of three sub-categories. This axis – which makes up 36 grams per serving – will help you grow more and recover faster.
The first part of the axis is known as the GLYCOSACCHARIDE-FST Fast-Acting Glycogen Replenishment and Insulin-Spiking Complex (28.475 grams per serving).
Its composed of “three functional saccharides to help optimize the post-workout anabolic actions of insulin and reload your muscles with glycogen,” per the company’s official website.
Here are the three functional saccharides:
- homo-polysaccharide – a by-product of potato
- polysaccharide – derived from a post-workout carb, waxy maize
- oligosaccharide – from Maltoplex-18 glucose polymers
Long story short, these three sugars help make the most of the post-workout insulin spike. Your muscles will benefit from glycogen replenishment for faster recovery.
The manufacturer also threw in 4-hydroxyisoleucine, chromium picolinate, and guanidinopropionic acid to boost the insulin spiking process further, per MHP’s official website.
Honestly, we’ve never seen a bodybuilding supplement company go great lengths to enhance the post-workout insulin spike as much as MHP does.
The additional ingredients and almost 28.5 grams per serving of MHP DARK MATTER’s GLYCOSACCHARIDE should serve as hard evidence.
The second part of this supplement’s Hyper-Anabolic Growth Accelerator Matrix is 5.05 grams of ProSYNTHAGEN Peptide: Protein Synthesis Accelerator.
If the three sugars will help amplify the anabolic effects of insulin and replenish depleted glycogen stores, ProSYNTHAGEN Peptide: Protein Synthesis Accelerator helps boost protein synthesis for more muscle growth and preservation.
The manufacturer utilizes a 10:1:1 ratio of oligopeptides, insulinotropic aminos, and BCAAs. It also includes a generous serving of leucine and glutamine peptides for good measure.
This combo not only helps kickstart the protein synthesis process, it also helps trigger the release of insulin into the bloodstream. When that happens, your muscles become more receptive to key minerals for more growth.
In short, your body thrives in an anabolic environment. Pretty awesome, isn’t it?
Not only that, MHP DARK MATTER’s ProSYNTHAGEN Peptide mix has a high-velocity dual transport “for even faster and greater intestinal uptake by combining powerful insulinotropic and anabolic free-form aminos with oligopeptides,” per the company’s website.
Finally, MHP DARK MATTER has 2.15 grams of HydroSIZE: Multi-Phase Creatine Transport & Cell Volumizing Matrix per serving.
According to the manufacturer’s website, “this complex provides the precise amount of creatine in the form of creatine monohydrate, Creatine Magnapower (as creatine magnesium chelate) and creatine gluconate.”
Creatine has long been regarded as one of the most effective and safest post-workout ingredients. It helps increase muscle mass and improve athletic performance.
Great to know it’s in MHP DARK MATTER.
Let’s check out the formula ingredients.
- Calories, 110 g: MHP DARK MATTER is a somewhat high-calorie post-workout supplement. Most products in this category have less than 50 calories per serving. Some, such as Dr. Layne Norton’s CARBON RECOVER, have a measly 10 calories per serving.
- Total fat, 0 g: This product has zero grams of fats per serving. Not to worry: you need mostly carbs and fats after a hard workout because fats may impede nutrient absorption. Consume your fats – the good kind – from sources such as nuts, fish, avocado, and olive oil for optimum health.
- Cholesterol, 0 mg: MHP DARK MATTER not only has zero fats, it also has zero cholesterol. Pretty awesome, folks.
- Total carbohydrate, 25 g: With a heavy emphasis on insulin spike optimization and glycogen replenishment, it comes as no surprise MHP DARK MATTER is a high-carbohydrate supplement at 25 grams per serving. Saccharides from potato, waxy maize, and glucose polymers should help get the job done.
- Chromium (as chromium picolinate), 100 mcg: MHP DARK MATTER is an excellent source of chromium at a whopping 83 percent of the daily value. Just so you know, chromium is a mineral which is essential in producing insulin, the hormone which this product revolves around. Insulin also helps improve glucose uptake, boost cardiovascular health, and maintain healthy cholesterol levels.
DARK MATTER Hyper-Anabolic Growth Accelrator Matrix, 36 g
GLYCOSACCHARIDE-FST Fast Acting Glycogen Replenishment and Insulin Spiking Complex, 28,475 mg
- Homo-polysaccharides from potato starch: according to BioInfo.org, “some homo-polysaccharides serve as storage forms of monosaccharide used as fuels.” This type of saccharide derived from potato starch falls under this category, which should help re-energize you for your next workout.
- Oligosaccharides from Maltoplex 18: these are derived from lactose, maltose, sucrose, trisaccharides and tetrasaccharides. The oligosaccharide content of MHP DARK MATTER helps enhance glycogen uptake after a hard workout.
- Glucose polymers: these are extended glucose chains which help boost energy, a must after a rigorous training session.
- Polysaccharides from waxy maize: Waxy maize is a by-product of corn and one of the most popular post-workout carbs on the market because of its ability to replenish depleted glycogen stores.
- iAMP insulin amplifiers (4-hydroxyisoleucine, guanidinopropionic acid, and chromium picolinate): judging from the name alone, these ingredients help increase the amount of insulin in the bloodstream, which helps kickstart the anabolic process.
ProSYNTHAGEN Peptide: Protein Synthesis Accelerator, 5,050 mg
- Full-spectrum oligopeptide amino acids from wheat protein hydrolysate (containing 30 percent glutamine peptides): MHP DARK MATTER is one of the few post-workout supplements which has wheat protein in it. While many associate “wheat” with carbs, a typical scoop yields at least 20 grams of protein. Nice, huh? In addition, wheat protein has little to no lactose and high glutamine content. Glutamine is the most abundant amino acid which helps preserve muscle mass, increase human growth hormone (HGH) levels, and boost the immune system.
- 10:1:1 BCAA Complex (L-leucine, L-isoleucine, L-valine): MHP DARK MATTER puts a premium on the branch-chained acid (BCAA) leucine. For every 10 parts of leucine, this product has only one part isoleucine, and one part valine. No surprise here, folks – leucine is the BCAA which helps kickstart the protein synthesis process for more muscle growth.
- L-phenylalanine: We’re not really sure why the manufacturer included l-phenylalanine, an amino acid which has been liked to several neurological issues.
Hydrosize: Multi-Phase Creatine Transport and Cell Volumizing Matrix , 2,150 mg
- Creatine monohydrate – the most common and effective form of creatine which helps increase muscle mass and improve athletic performance.
- Creatine Magnapower (as magnesium creatine chelate): this is a combination of creatine and the mineral magnesium. Since magnesium creatine chelate is fused with magnesium, it has better absorption properties than other forms of creatine. Plus, it creates less creatinine, a waste product of creatine.
- Creatine gluconate: this form of creatine is fused with gluconic acid, molecule and by-product of glucose oxidation. Creatine gluconate has better solubility and absorption than creatine monohydrate.
- Glycerol monostearate: also known as GMS, this ingredient is used as an emulsifier of MHP DARK MATTER.
MHP DARK MATTER manufacturers had several things in mind when they created this product.
First, the four-step proprietary blend intends to take advantage of the so-called “anabolic apex,” which is the crucial half hour immediately after your workout.
This is the time to focus on key nutrients for more muscle growth and recovery.
Second, MHP DARK MATTER focuses not only on protein, but the amino acids which have been proven to produce great post-workout results over time.
We like the concepts behind this product – they are eye-catching and unique.
However, there’s a catch: its main selling point is a proprietary blend. Boo.
Why don’t we like proprietary blends? Simple: the manufacturer disguises the exact amounts of each ingredient and uses the total amount of the blend and some fancy name to make it more eye-catching.
In short, it’s deception in the name of fancy marketing. Customers should know the precise amounts of every ingredient.
So, the fact MHP DARK MATTER makes use of a proprietary blend compromises whatever plaudits we have for it.
Had there been no proprietary blends, we would have been stoked about the saccharide, wheat protein, leucine, BCAA, and creatine contents – no other post-workout product we’ve seen has this combination.
Will it work? No doubt about it.
We believe MHP DARK MATTER will help create and optimize the post-workout insulin spike it has been emphasizing in its marketing campaigns.
In addition, we have yet to see a competitor which uses wheat protein in a post-workout supplement. Nonetheless, the protein amount is miniscule at just four percent of the daily value.
The muscle-building load falls on the product’s creatine components and a 10:1:1 BCAA ratio. These are time-tested ingredients you’re talking about. MHP DARK MATTER has the makings of a great post-workout.
That is, until the manufacturer decided to resort to a proprietary blend.
On the plus side, MHP DARK MATTER has zero fats and cholesterol, like we mentioned.
Finally, this product has a dirty ingredient to compound matters – Red # 40, a food additive which has p-cresidine.
The Department of Health and Human Services has now determined p-cresidine to be “a human carcinogen.”
The takeaway: do your research. Stay away from harmful artificial food colorings.
MHP DARK MATTER Benefits
MHP DARK MATTER has several benefits, per its official website:
- Hyper-anabolic post-workout muscle growth promoter
- Fast absorption rate
- Helps kickstart muscle protein synthesis
- Helps create an insulin spike and replenish depleted glycogen stores
We agree with the manufacturer’s claims. Too bad MHP DARK MATTER is a promising post-workout supplement which has been tainted by a shameful proprietary blend.
Who Takes It?
MHP DARK MATTER is intended for healthy and active individuals who want to recover faster, grow muscle mass, and achieve their fitness goals.
Any Side Effects?
While MHP DARK MATTER has no glaring side effects, individuals who are allergic to wheat should steer clear of this product alluding to its wheat protein content.
MHP DARK MATTER Summary
- Has various saccharides which help replenish glycogen stores. Waxy maize and potato starch, to name a few.
- 10:1:1 BCAA ratio. Ten parts leucine to help kickstart protein synthesis.
- Has different forms of creatine. Ingredient which helps build muscle mass and improve athletic performance.
- Utilizes wheat protein. One of the few post-workout supplements to do so.
- Zero fats and cholesterol. That says it all, folks.
- Utilizes a proprietary blend. Manufacturer disguises precise ingredient amounts. Boo.
- Has FD&C Red No. 40. Has p-cresidine, now known as a human carcinogen. Uh-oh.
- Somewhat expensive. $59.99 for a 2.6-lb. container.
Pricing & Buying Info
- 1 2.6-lb. container (30-Day Supply): $59.99
- Available online and in retail
Final Word on MHP DARK MATTER
So, does MHP DARK MATTER trump other big-name post-workout supplements such as KAGED MUSCLE RE-KAGED and MyProtein Hurricane XS?
MHP DARK MATTER has a unique identity – various saccharides, wheat protein, creatine, and a 10:1:1 BCAA ratio. Good combination. No doubt it can give you results.
However, using a proprietary blend to deceive customers is not a good marketing tactic in our book. The presence of a dirty ingredient is no good, either.
We’d recommend this one but with reservations. You’re better off buying the two post-workout products we previously mentioned.