Perhaps you’re sick and tired of looking for a protein bar which exceeds your expectations. Well, how about trying a real food bar for a change? With Redcon1 MRE Bar, you can consume health-boosting superfoods in the most convenient manner possible. This review will break things down for you, and then some.
About Redcon1 MRE Bar
Redcon1 MRE Bar is the “real food bar” which “has ingredients like oats, salmon, chicken, eggs, brown rice, and sweet potato. These ingredients give the MRE Bar an amazing taste, unmatched flavor, and the nutrition that give you sustained energy throughout the day,” per the manufacturer’s official website. Formula notes:
- Impressive ingredients. Awesome real food content which help boost overall health.
- Superfood components. Contains real salmon, brown rice protein, yams blueberries, goji berries, and sweet potatoes.
- Incredible taste. Real food bar which will please your taste buds to no end.
Redcon1 MRE Bar Supplement Facts (Banana Nut Bread, 12 bars)
|Serving Size: 1 Bar (67 g)
Servings Per Container: 12
|Nutrient||Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value|
|Total Fat||9 g||12%|
|Saturated Fat||5 g||25%|
|Monounsatured Fat||3 g||**|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1 g||**|
|Trans Fat||0 g||**|
|Total Carbohydrate||29 g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g||11%|
|Includes Added Sugar||5 g||10%|
|Vitamin D||0.1 mcg||0%|
|Ingredients: Protein Blend (Beef Protein Isolate, Salmon Protein, Chicken Protein, Egg Albumin, Brown Rice Protein, Pea Protein), Gluten-Free Rolled Oats, Carbohydrate Blend (Dehydrated Yam, Dehydrated Sweet Potato, Pea Starch, Coconut Water Powder, Dehydrated Blueberries, Dehydrated Goji Berries, Maltodextrin, Dextrose, MCT Oil, Cellulose Gum, Cinnamon, Salt, Sucralose, Acesulfame-Potassium), Soy Protein Isolate, Vegetable Oils (Palm, Palm Kernel Soybean), Sugar, Vegetable Glycerin, Sorbitol, Maltitol, Whey Protein (from coating), Water, Peanuts, Brown Rice Flour, Chicory Root Fiber, Natural Flavors, Sunflower Lecithin, Beta-Carotene, Vitamin A Palmitate, Natural Colors, Potassium Sorbate, Almond, and Sucralose.|
Meal Replacement Bar Made From Whole-Food Sources
If you want to muscle up and fill those nutrition gaps, consuming a protein bar should help immensely. Not only are protein bars a convenient way to get your macros in, but they’re also part of the demanding bodybuilding lifestyle. Perhaps you’re accustomed to protein supplements.
Well, protein bars make every day feel like a cheat day (a statement we picked up from the product description of BSN PROTEIN CRISP BAR, one of the better ones we’ve reviewed to date). They also pick up the slack quite nicely.
We’ve also sized up some protein bars which are big on protein and flavor, but not much else. With that, MuscleTech Gronk Signature Protein Candy Bar first comes to mind. We’re hoping more manufacturers come up with protein bars with more comprehensive, health-boosting ingredients.
Enter Redcon1 MRE Bar, a meal replacement bar made from whole-food sources. This manufacturer dubs this product a “real food bar,” per its official website.
“Unlike the rest of the bars on the shelf, MRE BAR has ingredients like oats, salmon, chicken, eggs, brown rice, and sweet potato. These ingredients give the MRE Bar an amazing taste, unmatched flavor, and the nutrition that give you sustained energy throughout the day,” per the same source.
If that doesn’t blow you away, we don’t know what will. We’ve seen our share of protein bars, but a meal replacement bar with real salmon, chicken, eggs, and sweet potato? This seems too good to be true.
No less than the Greek physician Hippocrates said, “Let food be thy medicine.” We certainly hope Redcon1 MRE Bar can do that and more. We’re tired of protein bars laden with artificial food colorings, artificial sweeteners, and other junk your body doesn’t deserve. This is certainly a breath of fresh air. Let’s cross our fingers Redcon1 MRE Bar can hold out until the end.
Protein, 20 grams
The manufacturer advertises Redcon1 MRE Bar as a real food bar, not a protein bar. However, many bodybuilding enthusiasts place a heavy emphasis on protein because of its ability to repair muscle tissue and grow serious muscle mass. Redcon1 MRE Bar has a solid 20 grams of protein per serving, which is the same as 40 percent of the daily value for this macronutrient (a minimum daily value of 15 percent is high).
Let’s see how it stacks up against the rest of the competition:
|Redcon1 MRE Bar (Banana Nut Bread)||MuscleTech Gronk Signature Protein Candy Bar (Chocolate Crunch)||MuscleTech NITRO-TECH CRUNCH (Cookies & Cream)|
|Protein per serving||20 grams||20 grams||22 grams|
|Daily value||40 percent||40 percent||44 percent|
Among the related products we’ve reviewed, MuscleTech NITRO-TECH CRUNCH still lords it over the competition with 22 grams of protein per serving. Does that mean Redcon1 MRE Bar is a pushover? Not by a long shot. You can’t go wrong with 20 grams of protein per serving.
If you’re looking for whey protein content, this isn’t the product for you. Redcon1 MRE Bar is unique because it uses real protein sources. The components of its Protein Blend include beef protein isolate, salmon protein, chicken protein, egg albumin, brown rice protein, and pea protein.
We have yet to see a protein bar with these components. Our first impression: Redcon1 MRE Bar’s Protein Blend is like a throwback to the Golden Era of Bodybuilding. Back then, legends such as Arnold Schwarzenegger, Dave Draper, Robbie Robinson, and Frank Zane emphasized lean protein sources such as beef, chicken, salmon, and eggs – ingredients you will find in Redcon1 MRE Bar. You an credit part of their impressive physiques to these awesome protein sources. No doubt about it.
Take beef protein isolate, for example: according to the September 21, 2015 issue of the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition (via NCBI.NLM.NIH.gov), “Consuming two servings of either beef protein isolate or whey protein isolate following resistance training lead to significant increases in lean body mass and strength.” Think about it: researchers mention beef protein isolate in the same breath as whey protein isolate (WPI) in terms of building lean muscle and increasing strength. That’s impressive, to say the least.
As for chicken, it’s another reliable source of protein. One 100-gram serving yields 18 grams of protein. Chicken is also a good source of vitamin D and vitamin A. Both of these help ward off free radicals, improve cardiovascular function, and strengthen bones. Vitamin D also helps boost calcium absorption. For its part, vitamin A helps improve vision and regulate immunity. Chicken is also a good source of the minerals iron, sodium, phosphorus. It’s a well-rounded protein source, for sure.
For its part, salmon its an impressive source of protein. One 100-gram serving of raw Atlantic salmon yields 20 grams of protein (the same amount as one 67-gram bar of Redcon1 MRE Bar). Plus, salmon is also a great nutritional source of omega-3 fatty acids and iron. “Dietary supplementation with 16 grams of salmon protein hydrolysate per day increases serum ferratin and hemoglobin levels in iron-deficient anemia patients within only eight weeks of treatment,” says the May 30, 2015 issue of the Journal of Nutrition & Food Sciences.
Another Golden Era of Bodybuilding staple is eggs. If you’re into bodybuilding, consuming these is a must for building serious muscle mass. In this case, whole eggs get the nod over egg whites. “We saw that the ingestion of whole eggs immediately after resistance exercise resulted in greater muscle protein synthesis than the ingestion of egg whites,” says University of Illinois kinesiology and community health professor Nicholas Burd.
Redcon1 MRE Bar’s Protein Blend also has healthy brown rice protein and pea protein. In terms of the former, if you’re thinking carbs, you’re right: doctors (particularly cardiologists) consider brown rice a source of good carbohydrates. However, brown rice protein can also help you muscle up. Believe it or not, one 25-serving yields 20 grams of protein. It also helps increase fat burning, boost liver, heart, and kidney function; and keep cholesterol levels in check.
On the other hand, pea protein doesn’t give you as much protein as the other components – one 100-gram serving yields just five grams or so. Nonetheless, pea protein is a viable alternative for vegans and vegetarians. It also helps ramp up fat loss, improve heart and kidney health, regulate blood sugar levels, and increase muscle thickness (a great bodybuilding benefit).
All in all, Redcon1 MRE Bar gives you the kind of protein blend the competition cannot: whole-food, muscle-building components which help give you the anabolic edge wherever you go.
The manufacturer points out other bars have 15 to 20 grams of protein per serving, which will only sabotage your nutrition plans (especially if it comes from questionable sources such as plain table sugar). Redcon1 MRE Bar trims down its sugar levels to a respectable six grams per 67-gram bar serving. These come from fructose (from fruit sources such as dehydrated blueberries and dehydrated goji berries), sucralose, and sugar alcohols (sorbitol and maltitol).
Fructose becomes questionable when one consumes them from table sugar (sucrose) and high-fructose corn syrup. Excessive consumption from these sources may result in side effects such as high blood sugar levels and diarrhea. Unfortunately, Redcon1 MRE Bar has plain table sugar – something you never want to see in any bodybuilding product. It also has sucralose, an artificial sweetener which has several side effects. That’s a bit of a double whammy, if you ask us.
Redcon1 MRE Bar also has “a healthy ratio of 29 (grams) of carbohydrates and 20 (grams) of protein that’s balanced with nine (grams) of fats. These macro counts are perfect to fuel your workout without a drastic insulin spike and perform at your best,” per the manufacturer’s official website.
Let’s see here. Twenty-nine grams of carbs per serving gives you 11 percent of the daily value for this macronutrient. This is a modest amount. It can still support a low-carb nutrition plan, but not as much as, say, MuscleTech Gronk Signature Protein Candy Bar (which has only seven percent of the daily value for carbs).
Most of the components of Redcon1 MRE Bar’s Carbohydrate Blend are impressive. What real food bar can offer you the likes of dehydrated yam, dehydrated sweet potato, pea starch, coconut water powder, dehydrated blueberries and dehydrated goji berries? These are powerhouse ingredients which offer your body a ton of benefits. We love these, to say the least.
The manufacturer also included the likes of dextrose and maltodextrin in the Carbohydrate Blend (you can find these in many post-workout supplements). The former (also known as glucose) is a fast-acting simple carbohydrate and a by-product of rice, wheat, or corn. As for maltodextrin, it’s a polysaccharide and by-product of rice starch, potato, or corn. It has a high glycemic index rating for faster absorption and an increased insulin spike. Long story short, these two carb sources help ramp up energy levels.
Redcon1 MRE Bar has other health-boosting components. Here are some which stood out the most for us:
- Gluten-free rolled oats: These help increase fiber intake, regulate cholesterol levels, promote regular bowel movement, and improve cardiovascular function.
- MCT Oil: Medium-chain triglycerides are a form of saturated fatty acid which help boost fat loss and energy levels, clear brain fog, regulate digestion, enhance mood, and keep bacterial activity in check. It is the perfect form of healthy fats for anybody on the Keto Diet (if this applies to you, you can check out some great protein powders for the Keto Diet). If you’re concerned about Redcon1 MRE Bar’s nine grams of fats per serving, don’t worry: MCT oil’s benefits should put your doubts to rest.
- Cinnamon: A spice which helps ward off free radicals and inflammation, boost heart and dental health, regulate blood sugar levels, and enhance cognitive function.
- Chicory root fiber: An herbal ingredient which helps keep stress levels in check, ward off inflammation, improve liver and gut function, and regulate blood sugar levels.
- Beta-carotene: This is a plant and fruit pigment which acts as a precursor to vitamin A (the vitamin which helps improve eyesight). Beta-carotene helps keep free radicals at bay, improve heart health, and enhance cognitive function.
We love the other components of Redcon1 MRE Bar (except its sugar and sucralose content): you will enjoy a variety of real food sources which should take your health to the next level.
Let’s check out the formula ingredients:
- Calories, 260: Most protein bars have roughly 230-250 calories per serving. Redcon1 MRE Bar, a real food bar, has 260 calories per bar – a figure which isn’t far off from the industry average.
- Total fat, 9 g: Redcon1 MRE Bar has 12 percent of the daily value for fats, which is a moderate amount. This isn’t so bad, considering some protein bars (such as MuscleTech Gronk Signature Protein Candy Bar) have 20 percent of the daily value for fats.
- Saturated fat, 5 g: This much represents 25 percent of the daily value for saturated fats, which is a high amount. Not to worry, though: these mostly come from Redcon1 MRE Bar’s MCT oil component, a form of healthy saturated fats for increased energy levels and fat loss. Nonetheless, the American Heart Association encourages the general public to limit saturated fat intake for better long-term cardiovascular function.
- Monounsaturated fat, 3 g: Monounsaturated fats (MUFAs) are a central part of the Mediterranean Diet, a nutrition plan geared toward better heart health. MUFAs help lower bad cholesterol (LDL) and increase good cholesterol (HDL) levels for improved cardiovascular function. Three grams of MUFAs per serving should do the trick.
- Polyunsaturated fat, 1 g: “Polyunsaturated fats can help reduce bad cholesterol levels in your blood which can lower your risk of heart disease and stroke. They also provide nutrients to help develop and maintain your body’s cells,” per the American Heart Association’s official website. Redcon1 MRE Bar’s one gram of polyunsaturated fats per serving should do the job.
- Trans fat, 0 g: Trans fats do the exact opposite of what monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats do: they increase bad cholesterol (LDL) levels and lower good cholesterol (HDL) levels. This is not good at all. Good thing Redcon1 MRE Bar has no trans fat content whatsoever.
- Cholesterol, 40 mg: This product’s cholesterol content is bordering on high at 13 percent of the daily value. If you’re monitoring your cholesterol intake, go for a protein bar which has lower cholesterol content (such as BSN PROTEIN CRISP BAR, which has just five percent of the daily value for cholesterol).
- Sodium, 300 mg: Redcon1 MRE Bar’s sodium content is also bordering on high at 13 percent of the daily value. If you’re monitoring your sodium intake, better take this product in moderation.
- Total carbohydrate, 29 g: Redcon1 MRE Bar has moderate carb content at 11 percent of the daily value. This comes from the likes of yam, sweet potato, pea starch, blueberries, goji berries. We wish the manufacturer didn’t include plain table sugar, which is nothing more than empty calories.
- Dietary fiber, 3 g: This product has moderate fiber content at 11 percent of the daily value. A huge contributor is its gluten-free rolled oats component, which helps regulate cholesterol levels and promote regular bowel movement.
- Sugar, 6 g (includes added sugar, 5 g): Redcon1 MRE Bar has moderate sugar content at 10 percent of the daily value. We didn’t like the inclusion of plain table sugar and sucralose, as these have certain side effects (including obesity). This product’s fruit components (blueberries, goji berries, etc.) yield fructose (simply known as fruit sugar).
- Protein, 20 g: Meet the real food bar which has real protein sources such as beef protein isolate, salmon, chicken, eggs, brown rice, and peas. Like we said, this is like a throwback to the Golden Era of Bodybuilding. Twenty grams of protein per serving gives you 40 percent of the daily value, which is a solid amount.
- Vitamin D, 0.1 mcg: Redcon1 MRE Bar has no vitamin D content whatsoever.
- Calcium, 290 mg: Redcon1 MRE Bar is a solid source of calcium at 20 percent of the daily value. This mineral helps strengthen bones, regulate blood pressure levels, boost heart health, and maintain an ideal body weight.
- Iron, 0.6 mg: This product is not a significant source of iron at a measly four percent of the daily value.
- Potassium, 90 mg: Redcon1 MRE Bar is not a significant source of potassium at a paltry two percent of the daily value.
If you’re sick and tired of seeing so many protein bars laden with artificial food colorings, artificial sweeteners, and all sorts of junk, there’s hope. Many protein bars such as Quest Bar exceed expectations. Did Redcon1 MRE Bar exceed ours? While it’s not a perfect product, it sure did.
If you’ve been consuming protein bars for quite some time, you know they’re a great way to muscle up, fill nutrition gaps, and meet your daily protein requirements. Now, what are the chances you’ve been eating a protein bar with bona fide real food sources? Not too high, we imagine. Redcon1 MRE Bar answers the call.
This product’s Protein Blend (20 grams of protein per 67-gram serving) is unlike anything we’ve seen. Chowing on a real food far with beef protein isolate, salmon, chicken, and egg is like going on a trip down Memory Lane – the Golden Era of Bodybuilding, to be precise. Bodybuilders from that era made good use of these. The end result: impressive musculature which blew the competition away. You can achieve that goal with Redcon1 MRE Bar, too.
We also love most of the Carbohydrate Blend’s components (yam, sweet potato, blueberries, goji berries, and cinnamon). Any time you find these superfoods in a real food bar, consider it a major bonus. We’re confident these will shore-up your long-term health.
Like we said, you also can’t go wrong with the likes of gluten-free rolled oats, MCT oil, cinnamon, chicory root fiber, and beta-carotene. Expect improved cholesterol levels, better heart health, increased energy levels and antioxidant protection, lower stress levels, and enhanced cognitive function, among other things.
It’s clear Redcon1 MRE Bar has a lot of things going for it. If find it daunting to eat real superfoods (which can be a task in itself), making this product a part of your nutrition plan will certainly go a long way.
Another bonus: Redcon1 MRE Bar is a solid source of calcium at 20 percent of the daily value. Remember, this mineral helps promote healthy blood pressure levels, strengthen bones, improve cardiovascular function, and maintain one’s ideal body weight.
The manufacturer also does a great job in terms of transparency: it breaks down all of the ingredient amounts. This bodes well for customers. Well done.
Customers have also been raving about this product. Aside from its incredible real food content, they can’t get enough of its awesome taste. We wholeheartedly agree. It’s one of the most delectable bars money can buy.
Redcon1 MRE Bar may be a great product, but it does have a few chinks. First off, it has moderate amounts of fats (12 percent of the daily value), cholesterol (13 percent of the daily value), and sodium (13 percent of the daily value). While these aren’t alarming (moderate sodium amounts help replenish depleted electrolyte stores after hard training), the manufacturer could’ve toned it down a bit more.
In terms of the 25 percent of the daily value for saturated fats, it may raise a few eyebrows. However, bear in mind Redcon1 MRE Bar has MCT oil, a healthy kind of saturated fatty acid which helps torch fat and ramp up energy levels. If you’re on a ketogenic diet (where you eat healthy fats 75 percent of the time), this is good news all around. For those who aren’t, try to consume this product in moderation (the American Heart Association advises the general public to monitor its saturated fat intake).
We also spotted a few fillers in Redcon1 MRE Bar. We found sugar (plain table sugar), which is nothing more than empty calories. We also stumbled upon sucralose, an artificial sweetener which has links to obesity. Stevia, a natural alternative which helps regulate blood pressure and blood sugar levels, would’ve been the better option.
Redcon1 MRE Bar is a top-notch product and a work in progress at the same time. Few bodybuilding bars claim to have real food in them. This product is a cut above the rest in that regard. While it has a few shortcomings, it can still support a healthy nutrition and overall fitness plan.
Redcon1 MRE Bar Benefits
Redcon1 MRE Bar has an excellent macronutrient balance, real food content, and incredible taste, per its official website. Plus, it’s also convenient for any consumer – you can eat it anywhere and anytime.
We agree with these claims. Redcon1 MRE Bar is a real food bar which should help support your healthy nutrition plan.
Who Takes It?
The manufacturer intended Redcon1 MRE Bar for healthy and active individuals who want to fill nutrition gaps, meet their daily macronutrient requirements, boost overall health, and achieve their daily fitness goals.
Any Side Effects?
Redcon1 MRE Bar has 25 percent of the daily value for saturated fats. This is a high amount which may affect long-term cardiovascular health.
This product also contains sugar and sucralose, two sweeteners which have links to obesity and other side effects.
If these, or any other ingredient, concern you, please consult your doctor before buying Redcon1 MRE Bar.
Redcon1 MRE Bar Review Summary
- Impressive ingredients. Awesome real food content which help boost overall health.
- Twenty grams of protein per serving. From whole-food sources such as beef, chicken, salmon, brown rice protein, and peas.
- Superfood content. Yams, blueberries, goji berries, and sweet potatoes.
- MCT oil inclusion. Healthy saturated fatty acid which helps increase fat loss and energy levels. Perfect for those who are on a ketogenic diet.
- Solid source of calcium. Yields 20 percent of the daily value for this mineral.
- Excellent transparency. Manufacturer breaks down all of the ingredient amounts.
- Incredible taste. Blows the competition away. Simply delicious.
- Flavor options. Comes in tasty Blueberry Cobbler, Oatmeal Chocolate Chip, and Banana Nut Bread flavors.
- High saturated fat content. MCT Oil inclusion can be a double-edged sword.
- Fillers. Contains sugar and sucralose, two artificial sweeteners which have links to obesity and other side effects.
Pricing & Where to Buy
- 1 12-bar box (12-Day Supply): $34.99
- Available online and in retail
Final Word on Redcon1 MRE Bar
Meal prepping can be a daunting task. Getting your macros and superfoods in requires tremendous commitment. Ask any bodybuilder out there.
Redcon1 MRE Bar makes life easier for you: it contains many real superfood ingredients which should complement your nutrition plan and boost overall health. It’s simply in a class of its own.
It’s not a perfect product, but it still deserves a spot in your daily nutrition plan. We highly recommend you buy Redcon1 MRE Bar. If the manufacturer can iron out the kinks sooner than later, much better.
Leave a Reply