If you’re into bodybuilding and fitness, we’re sure you’ve tried several protein bars before.
We’re also sure you want a product which helps meet your daily protein requirements, build muscle mass, and satiate your hunger instantly.
Enter MuscleTech NITRO-TECH CRUNCH.
Many people say this protein bar is one of the best they’ve tried. However, a protein bar’s true worth runs deeper than that.
It would be interesting to find out if this product is up to the task in this review.
About MuscleTech NITRO-TECH CRUNCH
MuscleTech NITRO-TECH CRUNCH is “The High-Performance Protein Energy Bar,” per its official website. Formula notes:
- Twenty-two grams of protein per bar. Helps build and repair muscle mass.
- Solid source of dietary fiber. Equal to 20 percent of the daily value.
- Great taste. Many customers swear by it.
MuscleTech NITRO-TECH CRUNCH Supplement Facts (Cookies & Cream, 65 grams)
|Serving Size: 1 Bar (65 g)
Servings Per Container: 1
|Nutrient||Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value|
|Calories From Fat||60|
|Total Fat||7 g||11%|
|Saturated Fat||4 g||20%|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||24 g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g||20%|
|Sugar Alcohol||3 g|
|Ingredients: Premium Protein Blend (Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Milk Protein Isolate), Isomalto-Oligosaccharides, Vegetable Glycerin, Vegetable Oils (Palm, Palm Kernel, and Soybean Oil), Soy Protein Isolate, Malitol, Sugar, Water, Cocoa (Processed With Alkali), Rice Flour, Cane Sugar, Mono And Diglycerides, Natural Flavors, Salt, Tapioca Starch, Soy Lecithin, Chocolate Liquor, Potassium Sorbate, Citric Acid, Whey, Beta-Carotene, Vitamin A Palmitate, Baking Soda, Almonds, Peanuts, Sucralose.|
The High-Performance Energy Protein Bar
We live in a fast-paced world. No doubt about it.
The sad reality is many individuals compromise their fitness goals in the process. In particular, one’s nutrition plan may take a huge hit.
Bodybuilding enthusiasts are no exception, folks.
On a typical work day, you’re besieged with a ton of meetings and paperwork. If you’re a housewife, household chores pile up before you know it.
It is a daunting task to eat healthy. Only those who are strong-willed and disciplined succeed.
Good thing there are a heap of protein powders and protein bars on the market to choose from.
One word comes to mind when you think of these products: convenience.
Say, you’re watching a baseball game at the ballpark – good luck on finding healthy options on the menu (unless beer and hot dogs are your definition of comfort food).
Enter MuscleTech NITRO-TECH CRUNCH.
If you’ve ever wondered how MuscleTech NITRO-TECH (a.k.a. “The Most Powerful Protein Formula Ever Developed”) tastes in protein bar form, this is it.
The manufacturer dubs it its “High-Performance Protein Energy Bar,” per its official website.
“NITRO-TECH CRUNCH bars are a gourmet, high-performance protein energy bar from MuscleTech – America’s No. 1-selling bodybuilding supplement brand,” per the same source.
“Featuring 22 g of high-quality protein, 5 g of fiber, and gluten-free, these bars offer quality indulgence without the guilt,” per the product’s website.
This description has given us a good first impression of NITRO-TECH Crunch.
We’re crossing our fingers it’s not like other protein bars whose artificial sweetener and food dye content are bona fide deal breakers.
“Take a look at other protein bars, and you might be shocked at what you find! Some of these protein bars are loaded with unnecessary sugar and fat, while others have high amounts of sugar alcohols,” per MuscleTech’s official website.
We couldn’t agree more.
Upon closer inspection, MuscleTech NITRO-TECH CRUNCH has a few red flags.
This protein bar is relatively high in saturated fats (20 percent of the daily value) and sodium (15 percent of the daily value). As a reference point, any ingredient which is at least 15 percent of the daily value is high.
There goes our high expectations for this product.
At least the 22 grams of protein per serving make up for them.
First of all, we think that much is solid – you get more protein from MuscleTech NITRO-TECH CRUNCH than several big-name protein supplements such as MyProtein Impact Whey Protein (20 grams of protein per scoop).
If your protein powder has inferior protein content, you’re better off consuming MuscleTech NITRO-TECH after a hard workout instead.
This product’s Premium Protein Blend has three components:
- Whey protein concentrate (WPC) – comprised of 70 to 85 percent protein content. Rich in various immune-system-boosting immunoglobulins but also has higher fat and carb content than its isolate counterpart. Its high lactose content is something to watch out for if you are monitoring your intake of this nutrient. Nonetheless, WPC is the best-tasting form of whey on the market.
- Whey protein isolate (WPI) – has 90 to 95 percent protein content. WPI undergoes a special microfiltration process which strips off the excess fats and carbs. The result: a purer and faster-absorbing form of whey. The downside: WPI is more expensive and tastes more bitter than WPC.
- Milk protein isolate – Comprised of 80 percent slow-absorbing casein protein and 20 percent fast-absorbing whey protein. As you can see, this kind of protein helps keep your body in an anabolic state longer. Plus, it’s also ideal for those who want to put on lean muscle mass and torch fat. Finally, milk protein isolate is a great source of calcium for more health benefits.
The takeaway: MuscleTech NITRO-TECH CRUNCH’s Premium Protein Blend is nothing new. Countless other protein bars have a similar protein combo.
However, it’s still solid. If you need a quick and convenient protein fix between meals, this is a good option.
There’s no escaping the fact many consumers want low-carb protein bars. Of course, this is in line with their goal of putting on lean muscle mass.
MuscleTech NITRO-TECH CRUNCH’s carb content is neither high nor low at eight percent of the daily value (anything less than five percent is low).
Will it compromise your lean-muscle-building goals?
We don’t think so.
Will it complement your low-carb nutrition plan?
Yes, we don’t see any reason it will set you back in this regard.
All in all, MuscleTech NITRO-TECH CRUNCH can help you muscle up without compromising your waistline.
Let’s check out the formula ingredients:
- Calories, 240: MuscleTech NITRO-TECH CRUNCH’s calorie content is just about what you can expect from a top-notch protein bar. Others such as Gatorade Whey Protein Recover Bars have more calories (360 per bar).
- Calories from fat, 60: One out of every four calories of MuscleTech NITRO-TECH CRUNCH is from fat. While this may sound insanely high, it isn’t. We’re just glad the manufacturer didn’t go overboard, as the next section will attest.
- Total fat, 7 g: This product’s fat content represents 11 percent of the daily value. While this isn’t high, those who are monitoring their fat intake are better off consuming a protein bar with five percent or less of the daily value.
- Saturated fat, 4 g: The first red flag we spotted. NITRO-TECH CRUNCH’s four grams of saturated fat per serving represents 20 percent of the daily value, which is high. No less than the American Heart Association recommends limiting saturated fat intake because it can raise your LDL or “bad” cholesterol levels.
- Trans fat, 0 g: We’re relieved MuscleTech NITRO-TECH CRUNCH has zero trans fats. In rare instance your protein bar has trans fats or hydrogenated oil, ditch it. Your heart will thank you for it.
- Cholesterol, 20 mg: While this protein bar’s cholesterol content isn’t too high, we recommend those who are monitoring their cholesterol intake to purchase one with five percent or less of the daily value to dwell on the safe side.
- Sodium, 350 mg: Another red flag. Don’t get us wrong, folks: sodium has its benefits (helps ward off muscle cramps and restore post-workout electrolyte balance). However, too much of it may raise your blood pressure levels. This protein bar’s salt content represents 15 percent of the daily value, which is high. If you’re monitoring your sodium intake, better skip this one.
- Total carbohydrate, 24 g: Hey, eight percent of the daily value for carbs won’t compromise your low-carb nutrition plan. Trust us.
- Dietary fiber, 5 g: This is one of MuscleTech NITRO-TECH CRUNCH’s strengths – its high fiber content which is equal to 20 percent of the daily value. Some of the benefits of a high-fiber diet include lower blood pressure, blood sugar, and inflammation levels. This protein bar can help you achieve those.
- Sugars, 5 g: The good news: MuscleTech NITRO-TECH CRUNCH’s sugar content isn’t high at just five grams per serving. The bad news: its sugar sources (cane sugar and sucralose) aren’t the healthiest. It would have been better had the manufacturer used stevia or monk fruit extract (two natural sweeteners with proven health benefits).
- Sugar alcohol, 3 g: Many protein bars have sugar alcohols in lieu of regular sugar. The former has a low glycemic index rating. Plus, it helps boost dental, bone, and skin health. However, too much sugar alcohol may compromise your digestive system. We’re glad MuscleTech NITRO-TECH CRUNCH won’t do that at just three grams per serving.
- Protein, 22 g: Naturally, this is the star of the show. This product’s protein content represents a respectable 44 percent of the daily value – it will help you grow muscle mass and meet your daily protein requirements. Trust us.
- Vitamin A: MuscleTech NITRO-TECH CRUNCH is not a solid source of Vitamin A at just two percent of the daily value.
- Vitamin C: Ditto for ascorbic acid, which has the same daily value (two percent) as Vitamin A.
- Calcium: This product is also not a significant source of calcium at just six percent of the daily value. Ironic, considering it has milk protein isolate.
- Iron: Lastly, MuscleTech NITRO-TECH CRUNCH is not a significant source of iron at just four percent of the daily value.
It’s apparent to us MuscleTech NITRO-TECH CRUNCH is a solid protein bar with a few glaring weaknesses.
Okay, the 22 grams of protein per serving sourced from WPC, WPI, and milk protein isolate are good.
For emphasis, we told you they trump other big-name protein supplements on the market.
In addition, we like MuscleTech NITRO-TECH CRUNCH’s 20 percent of the daily value for fiber.
It’s not the highest in the industry, but that much ought to help improve digestion, ward off inflammation, and promote better cardiovascular health.
We hope other protein bar manufacturers would follow suit.
MuscleTech NITRO-TECH CRUNCH’s strong suit is its taste – many consumers rave about it, especially the Chocolate Peanut Butter Twist, Cookies & Cream, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, and Strawberry Cheesecake flavors.
Looks like we found a potential rival for Quest Bar in terms of taste.
We also like MuscleTech NITRO-TECH CRUNCH’s low sugar content (five grams per serving). It could have been a tad bit lower, though.
Plus, we tip our hat off to the manufacturer for its transparency – it divulged all of the ingredient amounts. No shady proprietary blends whatsoever. Bravo.
Okay, now for the kinks.
We already told you about the high saturated fat (20 percent of the daily value) and sodium content (15 percent of the daily value) content.
If you’re monitoring your intake of these nutrients, better steer clear.
It also seems dietary fiber is the only health bonus MuscleTech NITRO-TECH CRUNCH can offer you – its Vitamin A, Vitamin C, calcium, and iron contents are all insignificant.
On the other hand, yes, we like the low sugar content. However, we do not like the sugar sources (cane sugar and sucralose).
Health experts believe cane sugar is nothing more than regular, empty-calorie sugar.
For its part, sucralose (a.k.a. Splenda) is an artificial sweetener with several side effects.
Notice the manufacturer also included potassium sorbate, a preservative which stops molds dead in its tracks.
However, some experts believe this ingredient has a detrimental effect on your DNA.
Watch out, folks.
MuscleTech NITRO-TECH CRUNCH Benefits
MuscleTech NITRO-TECH CRUNCH has the following benefits, per its official website:
- Twenty-two grams of protein per bar
- Five grams of fiber per serving
- Healthy and convenient snack for more muscle mass
- Great taste
We agree with most of these claims. Despite its flaws, MuscleTech NITRO-TECH CRUNCH can still help you achieve your fitness goals.
Who Takes It?
MuscleTech NITRO-TECH CRUNCH is intended for healthy and active individuals who want to build and repair muscle mass, meet their daily protein requirements, and resort to a convenient, on-the-go protein source.
Any Side Effects?
MuscleTech NITRO-TECH CRUNCH is high in saturated fats (20 percent of the daily value) and sodium (15 percent of the daily value). If you’re monitoring your intake of these ingredients, you may be better off purchasing a different product.
Plus, this product contains several ingredients (cane sugar, sucralose, and potassium sorbate) with several side effects.
If these, or any other ingredient, make you feel doubtful, please consult your physician before purchasing.
MuscleTech NITRO-TECH CRUNCH Summary
- Twenty-two grams of protein per serving. Combo of WPC, WPI, and milk protein isolate.
- High dietary fiber content. Impressive 20 percent of the daily value.
- Great taste. Many consumers swear by it.
- Low sugar content. Just five grams per serving.
- Great transparency. No shady proprietary blends. Awesome.
- Good reputation. Manufactured by MuscleTech, a known bodybuilding supplement company.
- High sodium content. Fifteen percent of the daily value.
- High saturated fat content. Twenty percent of the daily value.
- Dirty ingredients. Cane sugar, sucralose (a.k.a. Splenda), and potassium sorbate.
- Limited bonus ingredients. Vitamin A, Vitamin C, calcium, and iron content are insignificant.
Pricing & Buying Info
- 1 Box (12 x 65-gram bars, 12-Day Supply): $35.99
- Available online and in retail
Final Word on MuscleTech NITRO-TECH CRUNCH
Prior to reviewing MuscleTech NITRO-TECH CRUNCH, we had high expectations.
We even declared it as a potential rival of Quest Bar in terms of taste.
However, a good protein bar is more – much more – than just taste.
It also goes beyond the protein content. You want a convenient source of protein and essential nutrients for good, long-term health.
Unfortunately, MuscleTech NITRO-TECH CRUNCH has several flaws which pull its value down.
The verdict: this product is overrated.
We still recommend you try MuscleTech NITRO-TECH CRUNCH. However, many other protein bars are better suited to meet your long-term goals.
Leave a Reply