If you’re keen on buying a healthy protein bar, Orgain Organic Protein Bar should be on your short list. Simply put, it’s one of the most heart-friendly protein bars on the market today. This review gives you the lowdown and more.
Table of Contents
About Orgain Organic Protein Bar
“Our organic protein bars are made with clean, delicious ingredients designed to help you gain every day nutrition and nourishment – whenever and wherever you need it,” per the manufacturer’s official website. Formula notes:
- Healthy ingredients. One of the healthiest protein bars on the market today.
- Heart-friendly. Contains good fats and features low saturated fat and sodium content. It also has zero cholesterol levels.
- Protein content. Ten grams of protein per bar is solid, but not enough to keep up with the competition.
Orgain Organic Protein Bar Supplement Facts (Peanut Butter)
|Serving Size: 1 Bar (40 g)
Servings Per Container: 12
|Amount Per Serving
|% Daily Value
|Calories From Fat
|Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
|Calcium 2% Iron 15%
|Ingredients: Orgain Organic Protein Blend™ [Organic Brown Rice Protein, Organic Protein Crisps (Organic Pea Protein, Organic Rice Flour), Organic Ground Chia Seeds], Organic Dry Roasted Peanuts, Organic Tapioca Syrup, Organic Tapioca Fiber, Organic Erythritol, Natural Flavor, Organic Vegetable Glycerin, Sea Salt, Sunflower Lecithin.
Raising The Bar on Protein Bars
We said it before, we’ll say it again: protein supplements are a convenient way of muscling up, meeting your daily protein requirements, and shortening your recovery time. Chowing on a piece of meat immediately after a hard workout won’t do the trick. Fast-absorbing protein such as whey protein concentrate or whey protein isolate should feed your muscles and help you make the transition from a catabolic (muscle breakdown) to an anabolic (muscle-building) one.
For their part, protein bars take it to a different level: they are a great snack option for bodybuilding enthusiasts. Not only that, but they make you feel every day is a cheat day (the battle cry of BSN PROTEIN CRISP BAR, one of the better ones we’ve sized up). With them around, you can pass up on the likes of cakes and ice cream on your cheat day. Instead of eating them, just get a protein bar instead. You would have pleased your taste buds and muscled up. It just doesn’t get any better than that.
Enter Orgain Organic Protein Bar, a product which is “raising the bar on bars,” per its official website.
“At last we have the bar for you. Our Orgain fans have been asking for a convenient, on-the-go protein bar that delivers the benefits of our protein powders and nutritional shakes. We are excited to say that we now have the bar for you. Our organic protein bars are made with clean, delicious ingredients designed to help you gain every day nutrition and nourishment – whenever and wherever you need it,” per the same source.
We’re stoked whenever we see natural protein bars hit the shelves (who wants to consume protein bars laden with artificial sweeteners and other fillers, anyway?). The likes of Vega Sport Protein Bar disappointed us to no end. We’re hoping Orgain Organic Protein Bar can pick up the slack and become the go-to natural protein bar many bodybuilders crave.
Orgain Organic Protein Blend, 10 grams
Orgain Organic Protein Bar offers you 10 grams of protein per serving. That much yields a solid 20 percent of the daily value for protein (a minimum daily value of 15 percent is high). Let’s see how its protein content stacks up against other protein bars:
|Orgain Organic Protein Bar (Peanut Butter)
|Vega Sport Protein Bar (Crunchy Peanut Butter)
|BSN PROTEIN CRISP BAR (Chocolate Crunch)
|MuscleTech NITRO-TECH CRUNCH (Cookies & Cream)
|Protein per serving
While Orgain Organic Protein Bar has solid protein content, other leading brands leave it biting their dust. Even the mediocre Vega Sport Protein Bar has twice as much protein as Orgain Organic Protein Bar. MuscleTech NITRO-TECH BAR, which we consider overrated, still lords it over everybody else with 22 grams or protein per bar (an awesome 44 percent of the daily value).
Long story short, if protein content is your main basis for purchasing a protein bar, Orgain Organic Protein Bar is not the way to go. Many competitors easily give you twice as much protein content. They easily kick this product’s protein content to the curb.
In terms of protein quality, Orgain Organic Protein Bar redeems itself with natural top-notch protein sources. Not only will they help you meet your daily protein requirement, but boost your long-term health as well.
This product’s Orgain Organic Protein Blend has brown rice protein (which you can also find in the awesome Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Plant). If you think brown rice is solely about carbohydrates, take heed: one scoop of this ingredient gives you as much as 20 grams of protein. Plus, brown rice helps boost fat loss by ramping up metabolism and satiety. In other words, brown rice can help you achieve your lean-muscle-building goals.
In terms of overall health benefits, whole grains such as brown rice “contain important vitamins and minerals as well as protein and fiber,” per Harvard Medical School’s official website. You simply cannot go wrong with brown rice. We’re glad it’s in Orgain Organic Protein Bar.
This protein bar also has organic protein crisps, which has three sub-components:
- Organic pea protein: One 100-gram serving of peas give you roughly five grams of protein. Experts believe it’s one of the most hypoallergenic protein sources around. This makes it a safe bet for most consumers. If you’re trying to steer clear of dairy and lactose products, pea protein is a good alternative. Another key bodybuilding feature of pea protein: it’s a rich source of the alpha amino acid and nitric oxide precursor l-arginine. Finally, pea protein also helps improve muscle thickness, per the January 21, 2015 issue of the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition (via NCBI.NLM.NIH.gov).
- Organic rice flour: Rice flour, a by-product of milled rice, is a great gluten-free option for individuals who are iffy about wheat flour. Rice flour gives you a great dose of fiber and may boost liver health. It also turns out rice protein gives whey protein isolate (also known as WPI, which is 90 to 95 percent protein) a serious run for its money in terms of post-workout benefits. “Rice protein isolate consumption post-resistance exercise decreases fat mass and increases lean body mass, skeletal muscle hypertrophy, power, and strength comparable to whey protein isolate,” per Nutrition Journal’s June 20, 2013 issue (via NCBI.NLM.NIH.gov).
- Organic ground chia seeds: Chia seeds’ health benefits date back thousands of years, when Aztec warriors ate them to ramp up their energy levels. Twenty-eight grams of chia seeds yield roughly four to five grams of protein. While chia seeds aren’t beneficial in terms of athletic performance, they do pack a powerful antioxidant punch. They also help regulate the digestive and cardiovascular systems, promote healthy blood sugar levels, strengthen bones, and increase muscle mass and fat loss.
The key takeaway: the Orgain Organic Protein Blend may have a lackluster protein level (10 grams per bar), but its natural components make up for it. The combo of organic brown rice protein, organic pea protein, organic rice flour, and organic ground chia seeds provide your body with many health benefits beyond the anabolic realm. While it may seem like a good consolation, many bodybuilding enthusiasts want high protein content. On that note, they may resort to other protein bars which meet this requirement. It would’ve been better if Orgain Organic Protein bar had around 20 grams of protein per serving. That alone is a great selling point in the competitive bodybuilding supplement industry.
Let’s check out the formula ingredients:
- Calories, 140: Many leading protein bars have around 200 calories per serving or so. Orgain Organic Protein Bar’s 140 calories per serving should help you achieve your lean-muscle-building goals.
- Calories from fat, 50: Most of Orgain Organic Protein Bar’s fat content comes from healthy sources (chia seeds and roasted peanuts) which bode well for excellent long-term heart health.
- Total fat, 6 g: Orgain Organic Protein Bar’s six grams of fats per serving account for nine percent of the daily value, which is a moderate amount. The good news: most of these come from good sources of fats, such as chia seeds and organic dry roasted peanuts. The American Heart Association’s official website encourages the general public to consume more good fats (polyunsaturated and monounsaturated) to boost long-term cardiovascular function.
- Saturated fat, 1 g: Orgain Organic Protein Bar’s five percent of the daily value for saturated fat is a low amount. We’ll take that. The American Heart Association also encourages limiting saturated fat intake for a healthier heart.
- Trans fat, 0 g: This product has no trans fat content whatsoever. That bodes well for excellent long-term heart health (trans fats lower good cholesterol levels and increase bad cholesterol levels).
- Cholesterol, 0 mg: Orgain Organic Protein Bar has zero cholesterol content. We love it. This protein bar’s heart-friendly attributes are awesome, to say the least.
- Sodium, 130 mg: This protein bar has low sodium levels at just five percent of the daily value. This is a safe alternative for individuals who are monitoring their sodium intake.
- Potassium, 70 mg: Orgain Organic Protein Bar has little potassium content at a paltry two percent of the daily value.
- Total carbohydrate, 17 g: This product has relatively low carb content at just six percent of the daily value. We’re confident Orgain Organic Protein Bar will complement any low-carb nutrition plan and lean-muscle-building goal.
- Dietary fiber, 6 g: Without a doubt, this is one of Orgain Organic Protein Bar’s main strengths. It has a solid 24 percent of the daily value for fiber, which helps promote regular bowel movement, boost cardiovascular function, and keep cholesterol levels in check. This should help make up for Orgain Organic Protein Bar’s lackluster protein levels.
- Sugars, 3 g: Orgain Organic Protein Bar doesn’t have the insanely high sugar content some protein bars do. Three grams per serving isn’t going overboard, by any stretch.
- Erythritol, 3 g: Sugar alcohols such as erythritol are by-products of plants, fruits, and vegetables. Erythritol is one of the best sugar alcohols on the market because of its zero calorie content, excellent bioavailability, and impressive antioxidant properties. We’re stoked it’s in Orgain Organic Protein Bar.
- Protein, 10 g: The Orgain Organic Protein Blend has components such as organic brown rice protein, organic pea protein, organic rice flour, and organic ground chia seeds. Their combined benefits include increased vasodilation and muscle pumps and improved muscle thickness (from the pea protein content); ramped-up fat loss, better digestion and cardiovascular health, and stronger bones. Unfortunately, Orgain Organic Protein Bar’s protein level doesn’t measure up to those of many leading protein bars, which have at least 20 grams of protein per serving.
- Vitamin A, 0 percent DV: Orgain Organic Protein Bar has no vitamin A content whatsoever.
- Calcium, 2 percent DV: This protein bar is not a significant source of calcium at a paltry two percent of the daily value.
- Vitamin C, 0 percent DV:Orgain Organic Protein Bar has no vitamin C content whatsoever.
- Iron, 15 percent DV: This protein bar’s solid 15 percent of the daily value for iron should help regulate body temperature, form hemoglobin, improve sleep quality, and enhance cognitive function.
Orgain Organic Protein Bar has served notice it’s one of the healthier protein bars on the market today. The supplement facts speak loud and clear.
This product has 10 grams of protein per serving. Twenty percent of the daily value is a high amount. Make no mistake about it. However, other protein bars such as MuscleTech NITRO-TECH CRUNCH (22 grams of protein per serving) easily trump this amount.
Nonetheless, the Orgain Organic Protein Blend’s components (organic brown rice protein, organic pea protein, organic rice floud, and organic ground chia seeds) give you extra health benefits such as increased fat loss, vasodilation, muscle pumps, and antioxidant protection; improved muscle thickness and cholesterol levels, better cardiovascular function, and stronger bones. These are awesome, to say the least.
We also love the inclusions of erythritol and tapioca (organic tapioca syrup and organic tapioca fiber). The former is a natural and zero-calorie sugar alcohol which helps ward off free radicals. As for the latter, it’s a starch extract of cassava which helps increase energy levels, improve cardiovascular function, blood circulation, and muscle growth; and promote healthy blood pressure levels. With these two ingredients around, it tells us the manufacturer did its research. Well done.
On the other hand, Orgain Organic Protein Bar may have nine percent of the daily value for fats (a moderate amount), but like we said, these come from healthy sources such as chia seeds and roasted peanuts. These provide your heart with monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats for optimum long-term function. If you’re not getting enough healthy fats, chowing on an Orgain Organic Protein Bar should help you meet your daily nutritional requirement for that particular macro.
We also love Orgain Organic Protein Bar’s low saturated fat (five percent of the daily value), calorie (140 calories per serving), and sodium (five percent of the daily value) content. Better yet, we’re stoked it has zero trans fats and cholesterol. Many bodybuilding snacks come up well short in these areas, but not this one.
One of Orgain Organic Protein Bar’s main strengths lies in its solid fiber content (24 percent of the daily value). That much should help promote regular bowel movement, keep cholesterol levels in check, and boost cardiovascular function. It bears repeating: this product has excellent heart-healthy attributes. If that’s one of your considerations for buying a protein bar, better put this one on your short list.
It doesn’t stop there. Orgain Organic Protein Bar also has solid iron content at 15 percent of the daily value. This mineral helps regulate body temperature, form hemoglobin, improve sleep quality, and boost brain function.
In terms of transparency, the manufacturer scores high marks: it reveals all of the ingredient amounts. This product has no fillers, either. Excellent transparency and clean ingredients always serve customers well. We love it.
Just about the only chinks of Orgain Organic Protein Bar are its protein content and taste. We already shared our thoughts on the protein content. While it’s still solid (20 percent of the daily value), it pales in comparison to many leading protein bars on the market.
Customers have given Orgain Organic Protein Bar’s taste mixed reviews: some love it, other’s don’t. As for us, we say it’s good, but not as good as say, MuscleTech Gronk Signature Protein Candy Bar (one of the most delectable protein bars around).
To sum things up, Orgain Organic Protein Bar is still a top-notch product. The market has way too many protein bars laden with dirty ingredients. This one is like a breath of fresh air: its clean ingredients speak for themselves. If you’re on the lookout for a protein bar which boosts long-term health, Orgain Organic Protein Bar should help you achieve that goal.
Orgain Organic Protein Bar Benefits
“With less than 150 calories and five grams of sugar, our organic nutrition bars are a perfect way to replenish, refuel, and go,” per Orgain Organic Protein Bar’s official website.
Who Takes It?
The manufacturer intended Orgain Organic Protein Bar for healthy and active individuals who want to increase muscle mass, meet their daily protein requirements, fill nutrition gaps, boost long-term health, and achieve their daily fitness goals.
Any Side Effects?
While Orgain Organic Protein Bar has no glaring side effects, please consult your physician if you feel doubtful about any of its ingredients.
Orgain Organic Protein Bar Review Summary
- Healthy ingredients. One of the healthiest protein bars on the market.
- Extra health benefits. Increased fat loss and antioxidant protection, stronger bones, and improved muscle thickness, among other things.
- Heart-healthy. Contains good fats and is low in saturated fats and sodium.
- Zero cholesterol content. We can only wish other manufacturers follow suit.
- Solid fiber and iron content. Twenty-four and 15 percent of the daily value, respectively.
- Excellent transparency. Manufacturer breaks down all of the ingredient amounts.
- Clean ingredients. You won’t find any fillers in Orgain Organic Protein Bar.
- Flavor options. Comes in Peanut Butter, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk, and S’mores flavors.
- Protein content. While 10 grams of protein per bar is solid, it pales in comparison to many leading protein bars.
- Taste. Customers have given it mixed reviews.
Pricing & Where to Buy
- 1 40-gram bar: $2.99
- 1 12- bar box (12-day serving): $29.88
- Available online and in retail
Final Word on Orgain Organic Protein Bar
Orgain Organic Protein Bar serves notice to the competition it’s one of the healthiest protein bars on the market. That should get the attention of many customers.
Did it raise the bar high? Yes, it did. However, it didn’t blow us away. If the manufacturer can add some more protein and work on the taste just a tad bit more, you have the makings of an excellent protein bar.
For now, we recommend you buy Orgain Organic Bar. It’s a great snack alternative which should help you achieve your long-term fitness goals.