Some post-workout supplements from the United Kingdom have given their North American counterparts a run for their money. We hope this PhD Nutrition Recovery 2:1 review proves our point. It’s a comprehensive post-workout worth sizing up.
About PhD Nutrition Recovery 2:1
PhD Nutrition Recovery 2:1 is the manufacturer’s signature “Post-Exercise Recovery Formula” and a “premium, high-protein, post-exercise formula that assists with lean muscle gains during periods of intense exercise,” per its official webiste. Formula notes:
- 2:1 carb-to-protein ratio. 46.1 grams of carbs and 23.04 grams of protein per 80-gram serving.
- Teeming with Vitamin C and magnesium. 333 percent and 36 percent of the daily value, respectively.
- Four grams of Creapure creatine monohydrate per serving. Top-notch German brand which helps increase muscle mass and exercise performance.
PhD Nutrition Recovery 2:1 Supplement Facts (Raspberry Lemonade, 1.28 kg.)
|Serving Size: 1 Scoop (80 g)
Servings Per Container: 16
|Nutrient||Per 100g||Per 80g serving (2 scoops)||%RI* per serving|
|Of which saturates (g)||0.60||0.48|
|Of which sugars (g)||26.8||21.4|
|Vitamin C (mg)||250||200||250|
|Creapure® Creatine Monohydrate (mg)||5000||4000|
|Ingredients: PhD Carbohydrate blend (Maltodextrin (19%), Dextrose Monohydrate (19%), Waxy Barley Flour (10%)), PhD Protein Blend (Whey* Protein Isolate (13%), Whey* Protein Concentrate, Hydrolysed Whey* Protein Isolate), Creapure® Creatine Monohydrate, L-Glutamine, Flavourings, L-Leucine, L-Isoleucine, L-Valine, Vitamin C, Magnesium Oxide, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Chloride, Acidity regulator (Citric acid), Colour (Beetroot red), Stabiliser (Guar gum, Xanthan gum), Sweetener (Sucralose). *From Milk
Please note: Nutritional facts and ingredients may vary slightly between flavours.
|Directions: Athletes under 80KG: Add 1 and 3/4 scoops of PhD Recovery 2:1 to 400ml ice cold water and shake gently in a PhD shaker cup for 5 seconds. Athletes 80kg-100kg: add 2 rounded scoops of PhD Recovery 2:1 to 400ml ice cold water and shake gently for 5 seconds. Recovery 2:1 can also be stirred into a large glass or shaker with a spoon. Drink within 10 minutes of completing any intense exercise.|
The UK’s Post-Exercise Recovery Formula
If you haven’t checked out some of our reviews of bodybuilding supplements from the United Kingdom, you’re missing out. Some of the UK’s best post-workouts include MyProtein Hurricane XS and Reflex Nutrition Growth Matrix. These are a cut above the rest, for sure.
We’re confident you’ll also love PhD Nutrition Recovery 2:1. The manufacturer dubs it its “Post-Exercise Recovery Formula,” per its official website.
“New and improved PhD Recovery 2:1 is a premium, high-protein, post-exercise formula that assists with lean muscle gains during periods of intense exercise,” per the same source.
The company named this bodybuilding supplement “2:1” in reference to the ratio of carbs to protein. They say this helps “provide an excellent nutrient ratio for any athlete looking for replenishment after exercise,” per its official website.
Those which put a heavy premium on carbs and protein aren’t that many. On that note, we hope PhD Nutrition Recovery 2:1 will be a high-carb and high-protein post-workout which exceeds everybody’s expectations.
PhD Nutrition Recovery 2:1’s main ingredient group is 46.1 grams of its PhD Carbohydrate Blend per 80-gram serving (two scoops). Let’s check out its components:
- Maltodextrin, 19 percent: This is a by-product of corn starch, rice starch, wheat, or potatoes. Because of its high glycemic index, it helps your muscles absorb nutrients such in rapid-fire fashion.
- Dextrose monohydrate, 19 percent: A fast-acting and highly-soluble sugar which helps raise glucose levels for more energy. This is a popular choice among athletes.
- Waxy maize starch, 16 percent: As the name implies, this carbohydrate is a by-product of corn. In contrast to maltodextrin and dextrose monohydrate, waxy maize has slow-absorbing properties because of its heavier average molecular weight. Because of this, waxy maize has tremendous benefits for exercise endurance.
- Waxy barley flour, 10 percent: This ingredient is a solid source of soluble dietary finer, which helps improve your digestive and cardiovascular systems.
The takeaway: PhD Nutrition Recovery 2:1’s PhD Carbohydrate Blend’s diversity bodes well for your post-workout recovery. We say a combination of slow- and fast-acting carbs plus fiber helps increase energy, maintain satiety, and improve digestion.
Next up in this product’s vaunted 2:1 ratio is 23.04 grams of its PhD Protein Blend per 80-gram serving (two scoops). You’ll be pleased to find out this blend is as diverse as the PhD Carbohydrate Blend.
PhD Nutrition Recovery 2:1’s protein content comes from whey protein concentrate, whey protein isolate, and hydrolyzed whey protein isolate.
Whey protein concentrate (WPC) is made up of 80 to 90 percent protein. It has more fats and carbs than whey protein isolate (WPI). WPC has more immunoglobulins which help shore up the immune system.
On the other hand, WPI is the purer form of protein. It is comprised of at least 90 percent protein. It has less fats and carbs than WPC because it undergoes a special microfiltration process. Plus, WPI is pricier than WPC. On the bright side, the former has faster absorption properties.
However, when you’re talking about absorption rates, nothing compares to hydrolyzed whey protein. This type of whey undergoes another microfiltration process which reduces the size of the protein molecules. The result: they become small protein peptides.
Hydrolyzed whey protein enters your system faster than WPC and WPI. Thus, it is ideal for those who want instant and quick replenishment after a hard workout. The downside: it is the most expensive form of whey protein. It also doesn’t taste as good as WPC.
Nevertheless, you get to try all three kinds of whey when you supplement with PhD Nutrition Recovery 2:1. We say 23.04 grams of protein per serving is solid, folks. It may not be as much as the likes of popular protein powders such as Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100 % Whey, but it will help you muscle up and shorten your recovery time.
PhD Nutrition Recovery 2:1’s second-biggest ingredient is a solid four grams of Creapure creatine monohydrate per serving. It’s not the most among post-workouts, but it’ll do. That much will help you reap its impressive benefits:
- Increases muscle mass
- Helps improve anaerobic and aerobic performance
- Improves neurological function
- Regulates blood sugar levels
Not only that, but we’re talking about Creapure here – a German brand of the most efficient form of creatine on the market. We couldn’t ask for more.
On the other hand, PhD Nutrition Recovery 2:1 also has 3.6 grams of glutamine per serving. The most we’ve ever seen in a post-workout is five grams per serving (such as Jacked Factory POWERBUILD). so this product lags behind. That’s all right. PhD Nutrition Recovery 2:1’s glutamine content is still respectable.
To note, glutamine has the following benefits:
- Helps preserve muscle mass
- Increases human growth hormone (HGH) levels
- Regulates the digestive and immune systems
- Keeps free radicals at bay
- Helps improve athletic performance
- Wards off nasty free radicals
As you can see, glutamine is not only the most abundant amino acid, but it is also one of the most versatile. When you harness the power of glutamine and creatine, you get fantastic results. We are glad they’re both in PhD Nutrition Recovery 2:1.
This supplement also has branch-chained amino acids (BCAAs). However, we are disappointed because the amounts are minuscule:
- Leucine – 480 milligrams per serving
- Isoleucine – 120 milligrams per serving
- Valine – 120 milligrams per serving
Many post-workouts have at least two grams of leucine per serving. It would have been better if PhD Nutrition Recovery 2:1 had at least that much. That way, you really ramp up muscle protein synthesis.
Look at bright side: at least the 23.04 grams of protein per serving makes up for it. Otherwise, we would have suggested you take a separate protein shake to muscle up.
All in all, PhD Nutrition Recovery 2:1 covers just about all the bases. Its emphasis on carbs and protein is unique, to say the least. Throw in key ingredients such as l-glutamine and creatine, and you’re all set.
Let’s check out the formula ingredients:
- Energy (kJ), 1,232: The United Kingdom includes units of measurement for energy such as kilojoule. Manufacturers indicate the amount of energy their product gives out. In this instance, PhD Nutrition Recovery 2:1 gives you 1,232 kJ. That much is sure to ramp up your energy levels.
- Energy (kcal), 290: This product has 290 calories (synonymous to kilocalories) per serving. Most post-workouts have zero to 150 calories per serving, so this one has a high calorie content.
- Fat, 0.96 g: PhD Nutrition Recovery 2:1 has a low fat content at a measly 0.96 gram per serving. Saturated fat is also low at half that amount.
- Carbohydrate, 46.1 g: This supplement has a high carb content. If you’re on a low-carb diet, PhD Nutrition Recovery 2:1 is not for you.
- Sugars, 21.4 g: Even though the manufacturer doesn’t indicate the daily value for sugar, we can tell it’s somewhat high just by looking at the amount. The bad news: this product has sucralose (a.k.a. Splenda), which increases weight gain. Thumbs down.
- Fibre, 2.64 g: This supplement yields a decent 2.64 grams of fiber per serving, thanks mainly to its waxy barley flour component.
- Protein, 23.04 g: Like we already pointed out, not too many post-workouts have protein. This one has the same amount as a regular protein supplement because of its three different kinds of whey protein. This sets PhD Nutrition Recovery 2:1 apart from the rest of the pack.
- Salt, 0.16 g: Based on our computation, PhD Nutrition Recovery 2:1 has almost seven percent the daily value for sodium, which is not too high at all. However, it would be better for those who are monitoring their sodium intake to purchase a post-workout which has five percent or less for the daily value for sodium.
- Vitamin C, 200 mg: This product has a whopping 333 percent of the daily value for vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant. It also helps regulate blood pressure levels, boost heart and blood vessel health, and improve vision.
- Magnesium, 144 mg: This product is also a solid source of magnesium at an estimated 36 percent of the daily value. Magnesium helps boost the cardiovascular system, increase energy and testosterone levels, and boost mineral absorption.
- Creapure creatine monohydrate, 4,000 mg: PhD Nutrition Recovery 2:1 has four grams per serving of top-notch German creatine monohydrate brand Creapure. Four grams per serving will go a long way.
- L-glutamine, 3,600 mg: We share the same sentiment for this supplement’s glutamine content. It’s not the most among post-workouts, but it will do the job.
- L-leucine, 480 mg: This post-workout has a measly 480 milligrams of leucine per serving. It’s a long way off from the leucine amounts of post-workouts. In this case, more of this muscle-building BCAA would have been far better.
- L-isoleucine, 120 mg: This branched-chain amino acid helps increase energy levels, repair muscle tissue, promote healthy blood sugar levels, produce hemoglobin, and shorten recovery time.
- L-valine, 120 mg: This branched-chain amino acid helps incresae energy levels, repair muscle tissue, improve sleep quality, and regulate the immune system and muscle metabolism.
The folks at PhD Nutrition have tried to make its post-workout supplement one of the better ones on the market. This Post-Workout Recovery is comprehensive in its own right, but it didn’t blow us away.
The focal point is the 2:1 carb-to-protein ratio. We believe the 46.1 grams per serving of maltodextrin, dextrose monohydrate, waxy maize starch, and waxy barley flour’s different absorption rates and fiber content will help optimize recovery and digestion.
Bear in mind these are the most effective kinds of post-workout carbohydrates. Throwing in some fiber to boost absorption will go a long way.
As for the 23.04 grams of protein per serving, it will help you grow muscle mass, thats’ for sure. You can’t doubt a combination of whey protein concentrate, whey protein isolate, and hydrolyzed whey protein isolate. You get the best of all three in this supplement.
Their fast absorption rates and high amino acid content will help repair and grow muscle tissue in conjunction with regular training, sound nutrition, and ample rest.
The four grams of Creapure creatine monohydrate and 3.6 grams of glutamine per serving weren’t optimal, but they will suffice. We’re talking about time-tested bodybuilding ingredients here. They will exceed your expectations.
We like the added doses of Vitamin C (333 percent of the daily value) and magnesium (36 percent of the daily value). These provide you with a heap of health benefits (better heart health, improved sleep quality, etc.). It’s always a major plus when a post-workout supplement has these.
Other pluses: PhD Nutrition Recovery 2:1 is low in fats and sodium, is high in fiber, and has beetroot red (which helps regulate blood pressure levels) for its food coloring.
The manufacturer’s transparency is also good (it divulged all of the ingredient amounts). You won’t find any shady proprietary blends here. We like that.
On the flip side, this product has a somewhat high sugar content at 21.4 grams per 80-gram serving. If you’re monitoring your sugar intake, this may not be the product for you.
We also mentioned it has Splenda, which we don’t like at all. The manufacturer should have used a natural, plant-based sweetener such as stevia instead.
The paltry BCAA amounts also disappointed us. With a combined 720 milligrams per serving, PhD Nutrition Recovery 2:1 is way behind its competitors.
Despite these chinks, PhD Nutrition Recovery 2:1 is still worth a shot. If you want a comprehensive post-workout product, this one is worth sizing up.
PhD Nutrition Recovery 2:1 Benefits
PhD Nutrition Recovery 2:1 has the following benefits, per its official website:
- Twenty-three grams of protein per serving
- Forty-six grams of carbs per serving
- Fortified with whey protein isolate, Vitamin C, and magnesium
- Four grams of Creapure creatine monohydrate per serving
- Additional glutamine and BCAAs
- Helps increase energy levels
We agree with most of these claims. PhD Nutrition Recovery 2:1 will help you achieve your post-workout goals.
Who Takes It?
The manufacturer intended PhD Nutrition Recovery 2:1 for healthy and active individuals who are at least 18 years of age. Their fitness goals include: increased muscle mass and energy, shorter recovery time, and better overall health.
Any Side Effects?
PhD Nutrition Recovery 2:1 has no glaring side effects. However, this product has sucralose or Splenda, an artificial sweetener which may increase weight gain.
If this, or any other ingredient, makes you feel doubtful, please consult your physician before buying PhD Nutrition Recovery.
PhD Nutrition Recovery 2:1 Review Summary
- 2:1 carb-to-protein ratio. This combo helps speed up recovery.
- 46.1 grams of carbs per serving. Combo of maltodextrin, dextrose monohydrate, waxy maize starch, and waxy barley flour.
- 23.04 grams of protein per serving. Combo of WPC, WPI, and hydrolyzed whey protein isolate.
- Four grams of Creapure creatine monohydrate per serving. Top-notch German brand which gives you a fast return on your investment.
- 3.6 grams of glutamine per serving. Most abundant amino acid which helps preserve muscle mass and ramp up HGH levels.
- High doses of Vitamin C and magnesium. Three hundred thirty-three percent and 36 percent of their respective daily values.
- Low in fats and sodium. This bodes well for long-term health.
- Good transparency. Manufacturer breaks down all of the ingredient amounts. Thumbs up.
- Five flavors. Comes in Double Chocolate, Orange and Mango, Berry Blast, Raspberry Lemonade, and Fruit Smoothie varieties. You choose.
- Low BCAA content. Bordering on obsolete, to be honest.
- Dirty ingredient. Has Splenda, an artificial sweetener which may increase weight gain.
- Taste. Consumers have given it mixed reviews.
Pricing & Buying Info
- 1 1.28-kg. (2.82-lb.) Container (16-Day Supply): $42.81
- Available online and in retail
Final Word on PhD Nutrition Recovery 2:1
PhD Nutrition Recovery 2:1 has what it takes to be a top-notch post-workout, but it isn’t on the same level as other UK products such as MyProtein Hurricane XS.
We’re confident this product’s 2:1 carb-to-protein ratio and its glutamine, creatine, Vitamin C, and magnesium content will help you achieve your post-workout goals.
We still recommend you try PhD Nutrition Recovery 2:1, but you might be better off purchasing quality post-workouts such as Kris Gethin’s KAGED MUSCLE RE-KAGED.