Hey, how about a post-workout supplement from the United Kingdom for a change?
If you’ve tried some succulent English food such as Pie and Mash, Full English breakfast, and Sticky Toffee Pudding, and you’re into pumping iron, then you may as well try Reflex Nutrition Growth Matrix.
One look at it, and we can tell it has a lot of promise.
Buckle up and enjoy the review, folks.
About Reflex Nutrition Growth Matrix
Reflex Nutrition Growth Matrix “is a post-workout protein shake” which “has been formulated for effective recovery from intense physical training,” per the manufacturer’s official website. Formula notes:
- Great muscle-building ingredients. Hydrolyzed whey protein isolate, leucine, glutamine, and creatine monohydrate.
- 37.8 grams of protein per serving. Helps build muscle mass.
- Excellent source of Vitamin B6. Helps boost the immune and nervous systems.
Reflex Nutrition Growth Matrix Supplement Facts (Rich Chocolate, 1.89 kg.)
|Serving Size: 1 Scoop (105 g)|
Servings Per Container: 18
|Nutrient||Per 100 g||Per 105 g serving|
|Energy|| 1,632 kJ|
| 1,713 kJ|
|Saturates||1.2 g||1.3 g|
|Mono-unsaturates||0.64 g||0.67 g|
|Polyunsaturates||0.16 g||0.17 g|
|Carbohydrate||55 g||57.8 g|
|of which Sugars||9.5 g||10 g|
|Fibre||0.9 g||0.95 g|
|Protein||36 g*||37.8 g*|
|Salt||0.65 g||0.68 g|
|Vitamin B6||1.1 mg||1.2 mg|
|L-Leucine (free form)||6,666 mg||7,000 mg|
|Peptide-bonded Glutamine||4.762 mg||5,000 mg|
|Creatine Monohydrate (Creapure®)||2,380 mg||2,500 mg|
|Ingredients: Glucose Polymers (Maltodextrin), High DH Hydrolysed Whey Protein (∼30%) (30% degree of hydrolysis) (MILK), L-Leucine, Peptide-Bonded Glutamine (WHEAT), Cocoa Powder (rich chocolate variety only), Creatine Monohydrate (Creapure®), Flavouring, Colouring (Beetroot Red [smooth fruit variety only]), Thickener (Carboxymehtyl Cellulose), Colouring (Beta Carotene [smooth fruit variety only]), Sweetener (Acesulfame K), Sodium Chloride, Sweetener (Sucralose), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride.|
|Directions: Mix 105 g (approximately three level 60 ml measures) with 450 ml water. For best results consume immediately after training.|
Post-Workout Muscle and Strength U.K. Style
England is fast becoming a major player in the bodybuilding supplement industry, folks.
Don’t believe us?
We gave both products a respectable – not great – rating. Could vaunted U.K. post-workout supplement Reflex Nutrition Growth Matrix get a higher grade?
We’re just as eager as you are.
The manufacturer dubs the product “a post-workout recovery protein shake,” per its official website.
The folks at Reflex Nutrition realize the importance of the post-workout anabolic window. In fact, they point out “the muscles are known to be at their most receptive daily after exercise,” per their website.
They are spot on.
For its part, Reflex Nutrition Growth Matrix helps supply your muscles with a heap of amino acids to help you recover from your intense workouts.
Its main ingredient is 37.8 grams of grass-fed hydrolyzed whey protein isolate per serving.
This is a product with one of the highest single-serving protein amounts we’ve ever reviewed. That’s no mean feat.
We will also put special emphasis on the word “grass-fed” here. We love it.
In fact, if you’re keen on getting a protein supplement, go grass-fed. Always. Here’s why:
- Purity of ingredients – grass-fed whey protein has natural ingredients which are less likely to cause any side effects. Who wants to drink a supplement where the manufacturer jabbed the cows with artificial growth hormones? We sure don’t.
- Increase in muscular strength – several studies suggest consuming a grass-fed whey protein supplement helps increase strength.
Another key word of Reflex Nutrition Growth Matrix’s protein component is “hydrolyzed.”
“Hydrolysed whey protein is simply whey protein that absorbs faster into the bloodstream due to already being partially broken down,” per the manufacturer’s website.
Think about it: the faster your muscles absorb key amino acids and nutrients after exercise, the more results you’ll get. That’s a crucial element of post-workout nutrition.
One downside of hydrolyzed whey protein is its price: it has a higher price than whey protein concentrate (WPC) and whey protein isolate (WPI). If you’re willing to pay extra for a high-quality protein, be our guest.
The second key ingredient of Reflex Nutrition Growth Matrix is leucine, the king of the branch-chained amino acids (BCAAs).
In fact, the manufacturer describes leucine as “arguably the most important branch-chained amino acid” on its official website.
That’s another spot-on statement. Leucine is the BCAA which helps kickstart muscle protein synthesis. That’s why a lot of post-workout supplements emphasize its importance. Without it, you can kiss your muscle growth aspirations goodbye.
Reflex Nutrition Growth Matrix has seven grams of leucine per serving.
Just to give you an idea, JYM Post JYM (one of the big-name post workout supplements on the market) has 3.6 grams of leucine per serving.
However, when you compare that to Reflex Nutrition Growth Matrix’s leucine content, JYM Post JYM pales in comparison – the former has almost twice as much as the latter.
Incredible. Just incredible.
Reflex Nutrition Growth Matrix also has five grams of glutamine per serving.
Remember, glutamine is the most abundant amino acid which helps preserve muscle mass, increase human growth hormone (HGH) levels, and boost immune system health – perfect post-workout benefits, in our opinion.
We’re glad it’s in Reflex Nutrition Growth Matrix.
We’re also pleased it has 2.5 grams of creatine monohydrate per serving, a post-workout ingredient which helps increase muscle mass and improve athletic performance.
Reflex Nutrition Growth Matrix utilizes a form of creatine monohydrate known as Creapure.
Just know this, folks: whenever you see the word “Creapure,” you can be assured of quality and excllence.
Why is that? Well, Creapure is a German brand of creatine monohydrate to begin with. When you associate a supplement with one of the most advanced countries in the world, it should resonate well with consumers.
Now, try putting everything together.
Think of how much muscle mass you can build and preserve with Reflex Nutrition Growth Matrix with its hydrolyzed whey protein, leucine, BCAAs, glutamine, and creatine monohydrate ingredients.
That’s muscle-building heaven right there.
For this particular manufacturer, it’s not just about protein and amino acids. A fast-acting carbohydrate is also part of the post-workout equation.
Reflex Nutrition Growth Matrix features 57.8 grams of carbohydrates per serving. It’s definitely not a low-carb supplement. If that’s what you’re after, try purchasing a legit whey protein isolate product instead.
Reflex Nutrition Growth Matrix’s carb content per serving is broken down into 47.8 grams of glucose polymers (maltodextrin) and 10 grams of sugar.
Maltodextrin is an easily-digestible complex carbohydrate and a byproduct of corn starch. Its ability to speed up recovery is its most attractive post-workout benefit.
Now, let’s check out the formula ingredients:
- Fat, 2.2 g: We did the math for you, folks. Reflex Nutrition Growth Matrix has 3.3 percent of the daily value for fats. Anything less than five percent is little, so it means this product is not high in fats. More good news: it has a combined 0.84 grams of good fats per serving. That bodes well for your cardiovascular health. Awesome.
- Carbohydrates, 57.8 g: You can tell right off the bat Reflex Nutrition Growth Matrix is a high-carb, post-workout supplement – it has almost 60 grams of carbs per serving. We’re right. Our computation reveals it has 19 percent of the daily value for carbs. Anything higher than 15 percent is considered high. But hey, if you’re not particular about it, all good then. Ten grams of sugar per serving isn’t too high, but if you’re watching your sugar intake, best to ask your doctor for advice before purchasing.
- Fiber, 0.95 g: Reflex Nutrition Growth Matrix’s daily value for fiber is 3.8 percent – not high, by any standard. If you need to up your fiber intake, consume more whole grains from sources such as whole-wheat bread, brown rice, and buckwheat instead.
- Protein, 37.8 g: Wow. Imagine this much protein feeding your muscles after a hard workout. We bet you won’t find many post-workout products with this amount of protein. Fantastic.
- Salt, 0.68 g: Uh-oh. Maybe the reason why the manufacturer used grams to measure Reflex Nutrition Growth’s sodium amount is to make it seem miniscule. Nope. Not at all. This is equal to a whopping 680 milligrams of sodium per serving, which is 28 percent of the daily value (another post-workout supplement, JYM Post JYM, has only 120 mg of sodium per serving). That is insanely high. Even if sodium has post-workout benefits (such as minimizing muscle cramping), you’re better off steering clear of this product if you’re monitoring your salt intake.
- Vitamin B6, 1.2 mg: A cup of canned chickpeas has 1.1 mg of Vitamin B6, which is equal to 55 percent of the daily value. Guess what? Reflex Nutrition Growth Matrix has 1.2 mg of Vitamin B6 per serving (which you see as pyridoxine hydrochloride in the ingredients list), so it is a tremendous source of this nutrient, which helps boost the immune system and metabolism. Its most impressive post-workout benefit is its ability to boost the nervous system, which takes a hit when you train intensely.
- L-leucine, 7,000 mg: This supplement has an impressive seven grams of leucine – the king of amino acids – per serving. This much is sure to help you pack on some serious, lean muscle mass, folks.
- Peptide-bonded gutamine, 5,000 mg: Glutamine is the most abundant amino acid in the body. You built muscle mass, glutamine helps preserve it. In fact, if casein protein isn’t your thing, glutamine is a worthy second choice.
- Creatine monohydrate (Creapure), 2,500 mg: German brand of creatine, anyone? Combine the fact Creapure has time-tested post-workout benefits (helps build muscle mass and improve athletic performance) with the fact it’s from Germany (one of the most advanced countries in the world), you’re assure of top-notch quality, folks.
When Reflex Nutrition dubbed its signature post-workout product “Growth Matrix,” it knew what it was doing all along.
Where to start? How about the insane 37.8 grams of hydrolyzed whey protein isolate per serving?
Don’t forget about the seven grams of leucine, five grams of glutamine, and 2.5 grams of Creapure creatine monohydrate as well.
If it’s muscle growth and recovery you want, it’s muscle growth and recovery you’ll get with Reflex Nutrition Growth Matrix. Period.
Now, with 47.8 grams of easily-digestible maltodextrin per serving, you’re sure your depleted glycogen stores after a hard workout will reach full tank, boosting your recovery in the process. Guaranteed.
We also like the fact Reflex Nutrition Growth Matrix is low in fats, with a bit of good fats thrown in for good measure. We think it’s a great bonus.
However, the main bonus of this product is its whopping Vitamin B6 content, which will help enhance and boost your immune and nervous systems.
All in all, we like the combination of ingredients although we’re iffy about the manufacturer’s transparency – many of the Nutrient Reference Values (% NRV, the equivalent of % DV in North America) are missing.
To put things in proper perspective, how can an individual who is monitoring his sodium intake know if it’s a high-sodium product or not? The % NRV or % DV indicators would make it easier for the consumer.
Let’s look at the bright side, folks. At least there are no proprietary blends.
Reflex Nutrition Growth Matrix also has a ridiculously high sodium content (28 percent of the daily value!). Like we said, better avoid this product if you’re monitoring your salt intake.
Reflex Nutrition Growth Matrix Benefits
Reflex Nutrition Growth Matrix has several benefits, per the manufacturer’s official website:
- Grows and maintains muscle mass
- Increases physical performance “in successive short bursts”
- Plays a role in “energy-yielding metabolism”
We agree with all of these claims. If you consume Reflex Nutrition Growth Matrix consistently, it will help you achieve your post-workout goals.
Who Takes It?
Reflex Nutrition Growth Matrix is intended for healthy and active individuals who are at least 16 years of age who want to boost their post-workout results, build muscle mass, reduce fatigue, and achieve their overall fitness goals.
Any Side Effects?
Although Reflex Nutrition Growth Matrix has no glaring side effects, individuals who are monitoring their sodium intake should steer clear of this product alluding to its high levels.
The manufacturer also issues a warning:
Reflex Nutrition Growth Matrix Summary
- Muscle-building ingredients. Combines WPI, leucine, glutamine, and creatine monohydrate.
- 37.8 grams of hydrolyzed WPI per serving. Helps build muscle after a hard workout.
- Seven grams of leucine per serving. See preceding comment.
- Rich source of Vitamin B6. Helps boost the immune and nervous systems.
- Low in fats. Just 2.2 grams per serving with a bit of good fats for good measure.
- Good reputation. Reviewers have given it a good rating on its official website.
- High in sodium. Twenty-eight percent of the daily value.
- Questionable transparency. Manufacturer doesn’t disclose most of the daily values.
- Somewhat expensive. $74.30 for a 1.89-kg (4.1-lb.) container.
Pricing & Buying Info
- 1 1.89-kg. container (4.1 lbs) (30-Day Supply): $74.30
- Available online and in retail
Final Word on Reflex Nutrition Growth Matrix
The verdict is out, folks: Reflex Nutrition Growth Matrix has a tremendous upside but it’s not a perfect product by all means.
You can’t go wrong with 37.8 grams of protein per serving plus the additional leucine, glutamine, creatine monohydrate, maltodextrin, and Vitamin B6 components.
However, it took a hit with its high sodium amount, lack of transparency, and high price.
We would still recommend this product to a certain degree. Just make sure you’re not watching your sodium intake.