- 1. Prime Male
- 2. EVLTEST
- 3. Nugenix Ultimate Testosterone
- 4. TestoFuel
- 5. Test 3x SX-7 Black Onyx
- Quick Testosterone Booster Guide
- What are Testosterone Boosters?
- How Do Testosterone Boosters Work?
- What are the Best Testosterone Booster Supplements?
- What Can Testosterone Booster Supplements Help With?
- Are Testosterone Boosters safe?
- Do Testosterone Boosters have Side Effects?
- Are Testosterone Boosters Legal?
- Best Testosterone Booster Products Details
- Testosterone Booster Effects
- Prime Male Ingredients List
- Prime Male Formula Features
- Any Drawbacks?
- Testosterone Booster Effects
- EVLTEST Ingredients List
- EVLTEST Formula Features
- Any Drawbacks?
- Testosterone Booster Effects
- Nugenix Ultimate Testosterone Ingredients List
- Nugenix Ultimate Testosterone Formula Features
- Any Drawbacks?
- Testosterone Booster Effects
- TestoFuel Ingredients List
- TestoFuel Formula Features
- Any Drawbacks?
- Test Booster Effects
- Test 3x SX-7 Black Onyx Ingredients List
- Test 3x SX-7 Black Onyx Formula Features
- Any Drawbacks?
1. Prime Male
- 100% Natural: Featuring the chelated D-AA-CC form of D-Aspartic Acid
- High quality, premium boosters work in synergy to increase testosterone
- Optimizes multiple testosterone pathways to build muscle and support vitality
- Ranked #1 on our Best 5 Testosterone Supplements – 2017 Edition
- Read our full Prime Male supplement review
- Visit the Official Prime Male website
- Ups testosterone and downs estrogen for muscle strength and recovery
- 8 of the best testosterone booster ingredients of 2017 packed into 1 supplement
- Supplements DAA and Fenugreek to improve both total and free testosterone, respectively
- Ranked #2 on our Best 5 Testosterone Supplements – 2017 Edition
- Read our full EVLTEST supplement review
- Visit the Official EVLTEST Website
3. Nugenix Ultimate Testosterone
- Quality and quantity: Advanced complex of potent, well-dosed boosters
- Natural herbal edge with Fenugreek, Mucuna, Tongkat, and Horny Goat Weed
- Reformulated an awful product for the BIGGEST comeback in Best5 supplements history
- Ranked #3 on our Best 5 Testosterone Supplements – 2017 Edition
- Read our full Nugenix Ultimate Testosterone supplement review
- Visit the Official Nugenix Ultimate Testosterone Website
- Hefty doses of DAA and ZMA for testosterone with athletic performance enhancement
- Balanced by a unique push-pull Fenugreek + Ginseng dynamic on testosterone and DHT
- Formula emphasizes “Anabolic Support” for the younger muscle building men
- Ranked #4 on our Best 5 Testosterone Supplements – 2017 Edition
- Read our full TestoFuel supplement review
- Visit the Official TestoFuel Website
5. Test 3x SX-7 Black Onyx
- 3-in-1 supplement design covers testosterone boosters, estrogen, and stress hormone cortisol
- Exotic experimentation with unique testosterone and performance boosting herbal extracts
- Patented, premium-grade Ashwagandha to boost test and build muscle
- Ranked #5 on our guide for Best 5 Testosterone Supplements – 2017 Edition
- Read our full Test 3x SX-7 Black Onyx supplement review
- Visit the Official Test 3x SX-7 Black Onyx Website
Quick Testosterone Booster Guide
What are Testosterone Boosters?
Testosterone boosting is a concept that comes with myths and misassociations. In 2017, the testosterone booster myth is perpetuated by supplements with over-exaggerated ads: Increase your testosterone TENfold! Rise like a morning phoenix to a happy wife! Local doctors were SHOCKED when they saw his…! — whereas testosterone booster supplements misassociations can be attributed to the extreme booster forms: prohormones and steroids.
The truth: Testosterone booster supplements can boost several biological pathways to increase the body’s natural ability to produce testosterone.
To further emphasize the natural origins of real testosterone booster supplements, compare synthetic steroid effects vs. natural boosters:
- Prohormone/steroid T booster forms increase testosterone at a cost to male health;
- Testosterone booster supplements increase testosterone naturally, in support of male health.
And with testosterone levels dropping after year 30, it’s no wonder more older guys are choosing testosterone booster supplements. The operative word being “older” as most young guys (18 to 30 year olds) already have good testosterone levels, and turn to supplements to increase their body building potential — muscle mass, exercise recovery, muscle strength, energy, etc. These benefits are also enjoyed by older consumers alongside the other big benefit of testosterone booster supplements: An increase in sex drive.
But what is testosterone exactly?
Testosterone (also called test or simply T) is a naturally synthesized steroid hormone that stimulates male sexual characteristics (e.g., helps build muscle strength, bone structure, hair growth), primarily produced in the testes (or the ovaries in women) from cholesterol. Some testosterone is also synthesized in the adrenals by both sexes. Total testosterone divides into 3 categories:
- Free testosterone (test that is active)
- SHBG-bound testosterone (test that is bound and inactive)
- Albumin-bound testosterone (test that is loosely bound and loosely inactive)
Some supplements target 1 form of test only; the best supplements on the market tend to target more test pathways.
Testosterone Booster Supplements vs. Steroids vs. Prohormones
If prohormones and steroids are extreme testosterone booster versions, does that mean testosterone booster supplements act as mild steroids? Not really:
- Testosterone booster supplements cooperate with the body’s natural testosterone production.
- Prohormones contribute hormonal precursors (e.g., 4-DHEA) that convert to testosterone.
- Steroids flood the system with synthetic testosterone derivatives.
In reality, prohormones are the natural (ish), weaker forms of steroids, which are often lab-synthesized and overwhelm the body with too much testosteronic activity.
The slightly modified testosterone structure of steroids can greatly magnify their effects well beyond that of the natural testosterone compound, resulting in massively spiked protein synthesis (to build muscle), aggression and euphoria, and inhibited catabolic hormones (e.g., cortisol). Technically, steroids work… but they’re just not safe. Certainly not as safe as test supplements. Side effects of steroids:
- Cardiovascular Issues – Poor cholesterol, heart hypertrophy, high BP.
- Liver Toxicity – Cysts, growths, complete shutdown.
- Psychosis – The infamously pathetic Alpha ape “Roid Rage” with bipolar mania and depression.
- Hair Loss and Acne – Oily skin, cysts, baldness.
And worst of all: Smaller testicular size…
…which happens to be the reverse effect of testosterone booster supplements, many of which have demonstrated testicular increase in animals.
How Do Testosterone Boosters Work?
Boosting testosterone isn’t simply “flipping a switch.” Despite the main location of testosterone synthesis — in the testes — there is no singular pathway to enhancing testosterone synthesis and activity. As such there’s no singular testosterone booster supplement.
Think of it as a complex circuit of connected brain and body pathways that work together, in which the whole system goes haywire if one cog is loose or missing. Testosterone boosters fix the cogs, sometimes optimizing them beyond their average output. Sometimes test boosters are the cogs themselves, which makes their testosterone support essential to male health.
Testosterone booster supplements work by improving:
Testosterone precursors: Without testosterone building blocks, there is no testosterone. Despite how common sense this is, many men remain unaware of what “testosterone precursors” are: Basic dietary compounds — zinc and cholesterol, for example — that supply raw testosterone materials, and should be included in testosterone booster supplements.
Testosterone synthesis: On the flipside, some guys have building blocks but still aren’t producing enough testosterone. This could be due to a number of factors, including poor gene expression of testosterone synthesizing proteins, impaired signal receptivity in the testes, and overactive rate-limiting factors in the testosterone synthesizing process. Booster supplements may increase testosterone synthesis by improving any of these factors.LH/FSH secretion: Released from the brain’s pituitary gland are two important testosterone support hormones for men: Luteinizing Hormone (LH) and Follicle-Stimulating Hormone (FSH). The former signals for testosterone synthesis, the latter stimulates sperm production. Both are useful in testosterone booster supplements.
SHBG deactivation: The most common offender against testosterone activity: Sex Hormone Binding Globulin (SHBG) — which binds and disables testosterone in the bloodstream. Some natural testosterone booster compounds block SHBG from “overkilling” testosterone activity, boosting free test levels without affecting total test levels.
Aromatase inhibition: There’s a 2-for-1 advantage to inhibiting aromatase, the enzyme that converts testosterone to estrogen: 1) Preventing the conversion of testosterone to estrogen boosts testosterone levels, and 2) Decreasing estrogen levels protects testosterone. Aromatase inhibitors are important to serious natural testosterone booster formulas, as increased testosterone may be linked to increased E levels.
DHT blocking: Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) is the primary androgen of the body (testosterone primarily affects skeletal muscle). By blocking of testosterone to DHT conversion via 5-alpha reductase inhibition, you can increase circulating testosterone… but you lose out on DHT’s manly muscle building benefits. This is why some test booster supplements include DHT boosters in addition to testosterone support.
Stress reduction: The fight-or-flight HPA Axis shares at least 2/3rds of the testosterone HPG Axis — the H and P parts: Hypothalamus and Pituitary. When the HPA Axis fries due to too much stress, the pituitary gland falters in its LH/FSH production, reducing testosterone. Additionally, the stress hormone cortisol diminish male health in a number of ways, including muscle loss, reduced muscle strength and poor body composition. Natural anti-stress adaptogens work by indirectly boosting anabolic testosterone cortisol levels, creating a good climate to build muscle faster. Look for stress fighters in top ranked testosterone booster supplements.
Secondary Effect – Protein Synthesis to Build Muscle: Bodybuilders use testosterone boosters for combined anabolic effects of increased testosterone and reduced stress. For a terminology recap:
- Anabolic – complex units (aminos) forming simpler units (protein).
- Catabolic – simpler units breaking into complex units.
Body building is an anabolic muscle building process — aminos form proteins form muscle — that requires an anabolic hormone profile, which is often determined by the testosterone : cortisol ratio and the testosterone : estrogen ratio — cortisol and estrogen both being catabolic hormones. Testosterone booster supplements that simultaneously address testosterone, estrogen, and cortisol hit that anabolic hot-spot that’s perfect for body building, or any athletics that build muscle. To further take advantage of this secondary testosterone booster benefit, bodybuilders often stack post-workout aminos and protein supplements with their natural testosterone booster supplement.
What are the Best Testosterone Booster Supplements?
This list of natural (and synthetic) testosterone boosters is always changing, with modern research qualifying new extracts and disqualifying traditional remedies, even in 2017. As those extracts and remedies go, so go the testosterone booster supplements.
To be accurate and complete, we include top ranked, scientifically validated testosterone boosting ingredients that work and popular ingredients sold as testosterone booster supplements that don’t raise testosterone, but enhance manly health. We can’t cover ’em all in this guide, but for now, here goes:
- D-Aspartic Acid: Top ranked on our list of testosterone booster compounds, this hormone supercharger signals for raw testosterone material and stimulates total testosterone synthesis. Scientifically proven to boost testosterone by 42% in 12 days. Ranked #1 on our Big List of T Booster nutrients to look for in the best reviewed test supplements of 2017
- Zinc: Key mineral for men that concentrates in the testes to directly contribute raw material to testosterone synthesis (No Zinc = No testosterone), a must-have in testosterone boosting supplements. Ranked #2 on our top Testosterone Booster nutrients list
- Mucuna Pruriens: Supplies dopamine precursor L-DOPA to block female prolactin and increase pituitary secretion of testosterone helpers: LH and FSH. The best test booster supplements use standardized mucuna. Ranked #3 on our list of top Testosterone Booster nutrients
- Vitamin D: Helps support testosterone status across the body, directly affecting testosterone levels — although exactly how it may work is still somewhat unclear. Get it from sunshine or supplements. Ranked #4 on our best testosterone booster list
- Boron: Our #2 top rated manliest mineral (zinc is #1), boron is a booster that helps improve the testosterone to estrogen ratio while inhibiting overactive SHBG. Ranked #5 on our Big List of Testosterone Booster nutrients
- Magnesium: Important mineral for T, key for effective testosterone booster supplements. Sweating athletes and older men at risk of Mg-deficiency, which decreases free and total testosterone. Found in multivitamin supplements, but you may need more.
- Rhodiola Rosea: Naturally boosts physical performance while optimizing an anabolic testosterone to cortisol ratio to build muscle; found in many male performance boosting supplements.
- Ashwagandha: Translates from Sanskrit to “Smell of Horse Sweat” for its horsey smell and herbal delivery of adaptogenic “horsepower” to boost work outs. Research-backed test booster, too, and found in some libido supplements.
- Vitamin K2: More than a staple in multivitamin supplements, K is a vitamin testosterone booster that concentrates in the testes, naturally helping to support testosterone production and promoting its release into the bloodstream.
- Tongkat Ali: Natural root booster popular in male performance supplements, helps increase free testosterone and reduce stress hormone cortisol.
- Fenugreek: Potent sex, muscle strength & muscle building enhancer popular in sports nutrition products for men; offers mild-to-moderate “free” testosterone boosts. Also used in libido supplements.
- Shilajit: Mixture of minerals that grows on rocks, the main bioactive constituent being Fulvic Acid, the supposed testosterone booster compound. Rarely used in supplement formulas.
- Luteolin: Fruit and veggie antioxidant believed to resist free radical damage and inhibit aromatase for a healthier testosterone to estrogen ratio. Found in smart testosterone booster supplements.
- B Vitamins: Most notably vitamin B6 (as P-5-P) to boost function of cell receptors that bind to testosterone; good in energy and nootropic supplements too
- Cordyceps: Sac-fungus parasite (gross!) that obtains neural control of insects, used in sports nutrition supplements to assist with testosterone boosting and endurance
- Ginseng: Either American or Asian Ginseng, which both possess ginsenosides, bioactive compounds unique to ginseng that may modestly boost testosterone and build stamina. Popular in energy booster supplements.
- Stinging Nettle: Sturdy, multipurpose plant that might increase free testosterone but seems better intended for prostate supplements. Found in sophisticated testosterone booster supplements for older men.
- Saw Palmetto: Or Serenoa repens, a palm tree plant often extracted to help sex drive and hair loss in men for its DHT inhibitory properties. Not really for testosterone, better in prostate supplements.
- Beta Sitosterol: Found in Stinging Nettle and Saw Palmetto, believed to possess the DHT inhibiting abilities of both plants. Again, not a top testosterone booster; also suited for prostate supplements.
- Maca: More performance enhancer than testosterone booster, Maca is a natural root herb that seems to boost sexual health without affecting testosterone levels. Fairly popular in sexytime supplements for men.
- L-Arginine: Popular in bodybuilding sports nutrition supplements; amino acid for nitric oxide synthesis, protein synthesis, and circulation, assisting with athletic and sexual prowess; scientifically proven to work for muscle “pumps”
- Tribulus Terrestris: A popular natural ingredient in natural testosterone booster supplements, despite not actually boosting testosterone. May build muscle and boost sexual health, potentially improving testosterone.
- Horny Goat Weed: Naturally mimics the structure and effects of testosterone without affecting the hormone itself. Also, it makes men (and goats, apparently) horny; popular in sexytime-targeted testosterone booster supplements.
- Diindolylmethane (DIM): Cruciferous compound believed to inhibit aromatase to promote a healthier testosterone to estrogen ratio. Most scientifically relevant research pertains to women’s health, even found in women’s hormonal supplements, but may work as an indirect testosterone booster, too.
- Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA): Technically a prohormone, DHEA is found in various male anti-aging, libido and testosterone booster supplements, despite not actually doing much for male health or testosterone levels.
What Can Testosterone Booster Supplements Help With?
Sex sells — this marketing axiom aptly applies to testosterone boosting supplements, which largely market the sexier side of healthy testosterone levels: Increased sex drive. While testosterone isn’t the only contributing factor to sex drive, its strong correlation with male performance and energy has made it popular in masculinity supplements. Some T booster supplements have ingredients for libido, only — creating the illusion of higher testosterone.
DHT is the primary androgen of the male body with exception to arguably the most important part of the male body: The Muscles. Testosterone booster supplements help build muscle mass and strength by signalling for protein synthesis in skeletal muscle, promoting faster tissue growth, strength building and recovery. Test booster supplements combine well with sports nutrition supplements for muscle growth.
One of the most noticeable traits of low testosterone levels is flab: Poorly distributed and disorganized body fat. This is partially due to the high levels of aromatase in fat tissues, which is why a fat gut often comes with floppy man tits. And fat. What the hell, flab AND fat. Testosterone booster supplements help you build muscle up faster and bring fat down.
Mood and Cognition
The brain possesses neuronal testosterone receptors, leading to a testosterone influenced cognitive pathway that drastically affects brain health and structure for men. Most notably, mood imbalance becomes a key issue with low testosterone, that may be helped by testosterone boosting supplements. There are many brain boosting nootropic supplements on the market that stack well with testosterone’s cognitive effects.
Initially, testosterone was believed to increase cardio risk, given the nearly 2x risk of coronary issues that comes with being male. In fact, low testosterone was found to harm cardiovascular health, as test seems to help with arterial plaque. Testosterone booster supplements may indirectly support heart health.
The influence of sex hormones on bone health is complicated. For both men and women, estrogen seems to play a more influential role to build bone strength, although this partially depends on a healthy balance between testosterone and estrogen. Testosterone booster supplements may indirectly support bone strength.
Follicle-Stimulating Hormone (FSH) doesn’t directly boost testosterone levels, but certain testosterone booster supplements increase FSH for its proven benefits for male virility and sperm health, along with its indirect support of healthy testosterone levels. Some booster products may act as fertility support supplements.
Vitality is hard to define (and measure) but can be defined as the capacity for muscle strength, energy and activity. Sound familiar? Testosterone supplements do the same, especially for older guys who may experience a return to youthful energy that is more profound than the temporary effects of energy supplements.
Do Testosterone Boosters Work for Women?
Although far more popular for men, the answer is yes: Women can benefit from testosterone booster supplements, too. Low female testosterone may impair mood, energy, sex drive, cognition, and muscle development. Conversely, too much testosterone is also an issue. So, when it comes to test booster supplements, what are women to do? The better way to think of it is in testosterone + estrogen terms, identified by the Four-Level Hormone schema; here it is in list form:
- Low Estrogen, Low Testosterone – correlated with osteoporosis, depression, and obesity.
- High Estrogen, Low Testosterone – associated with obesity, low energy and decreased sex drive.
- Low Estrogen, High Testosterone – marked by increased aggression, depression, and libido.
- High Estrogen, High Testosterone – heightens type II diabetes and cardiovascular risks.
Older women commonly experience the first level — Low Estrogen, Low Testosterone — during and after menopause. However, there are certain supplement ingredients that may alleviate female sex hormone imbalance, including (but not limited to): Tongkat Ali, Rhodiola rosea, Ashwagandha, Tribulus terrestris, Damiana, Diindolylmethane, Vitamin D, Red Clover, Horny Goat Weed. Women may be advised to buy these ingredients in a standalone supplement product, since most of the testosterone products we have reviewed are complexes designed for men.
Are Testosterone Boosters safe?
For the most part, testosterone supplement formulas are safe, running little to no risk of serious side effects. In fact, this seems to encompass the whole point of natural testosterone booster supplements: Providing a safer alternative to the not safe practice of injecting/ingesting prohormones and steroids — although, this doesn’t mean that the entire category of testosterone boosters is 100% proven to be risk free. Safety is a complicated topic that we can only touch upon in this guide, but we always take safety into account when giving out top ratings in our testosterone booster product reviews.
Do Testosterone Boosters have Side Effects?
People may have concerns about safety of testosterone supplements for a couple reasons:
- Not all natural testosterone supplements have a clinically documented toxicity report.
- Your results may vary; some supplements might work for you where others fail.
No matter how mild the testosterone booster supplement, many synthetic and natural compounds occasionally come with reports of mild side effects, including nausea, headache, GI discomfort — as well as acne, aggression, and irritation in the case of more hormonally effective testosterone booster supplements. However, such occurrences for the testosterone booster supplements we cover are very rare and mild.
Simply keeping a conservative attitude with testosterone booster supplements drastically reduces side effect risk — e.g., abiding by the supplement directions, taking moderate dosages, spreading out your intake, monitoring your diet, etc. Occasionally, side effects stem from poor manufacturing practices, which is why we do our best to explore the ins-and-outs products in every one of our reviews.
Are Testosterone Boosters Legal?
Yes. We’re more confident in answering “yes” to the legality question: Legal access is one of the defining features between natural testosterone booster supplements and synthetic prohormones, steroids, or other performance enhancing drugs. For recreational users, there seems to be no limits on dietary testosterone booster supplement usage.
However, for competitive athletes there are a few substances found in some testosterone supplements that are off-limit. These off-limit items are largely categorized by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) in their 2017 List of Prohibited Substances and Methods, on which you’ll find the likes of DHEA — but not Deer Antler Velvet, which was removed in recent years.
Our reviews cover testosterone boosting supplements that are overwhelmingly legal — but before you buy, always make sure their ingredients work in accordance with your local laws.
How Best 5 Picks the Best Testosterone Booster Supplements
To get the in-depth lowdown on how to buy the best quality supplements that are A) safe and B) effective, check out the Best 5 How to Buy a Good Supplement guide.
For a quick bulletin list on how we particularly identify the best testosterone boosters in our reviews, here are the general criteria that underlie our Best 5 rating system and top ranked supplement picks for 2017:
- Design – We need clear answers to the who’s, what’s, when’s, where’s, and how’s behind the testosterone supplement
- Combinations – Some ingredient relationships synergize within supplements to support testosterone; others don’t work well together
- Versatility – Supplements that use multiple paths to boost testosterone are better than one pathway products
- Healthy — Testosterone booster supplements should increase testosterone naturally in the name of male health; must be safe, too
- Quality – Advanced testosterone supplements use cutting-edge delivery systems and potent ingredient forms for superior quality
- Research – Placebo runs amok in amateur reviews; we rely on updated research and scientifically backed testosterone benefits
- Tolerability – Some testosterone supplements advise on-off cycling to make their products more safe and tolerable
- Service – Reliable shipping and handling after you buy, customer care to answer questions about supplements, and no hidden charges
- Value – We’re not talking sale prices, but rather the testosterone to price ratio, measured as product power per price per serving
- Cleanliness – We prefer natural testosterone booster supplements without the fake flavors, fillers, and color
In addition to these points, we also evaluate the testosterone booster supplement manufacturers: What’s their reputation? What’s their business rating? Do they have a strong online presence? Do their supplements get good reviews?
Often times in our close comparison reviews, a reputable manufacturer may ultimately earn a testosterone booster the win over other supplements.
Lets move on to the mini reviews portion of this guide, and remember you can always read the full testosterone booster supplements reviews, including our top-ranked lists for 2016 and 2017, for the real in-depth analysis on what to buy that will work for you.
Best Testosterone Booster Products Details
#1: Prime Male by Propura
Prime Male is a powerful 12-ingredient testosterone booster and vitality complex that unleashes testosterone boosting synergy across every testosterone pathway: SHBG inhibition, estrogen reduction, LH promotion, and more. The 100% Natural approach to testosterone boosting optimizes and multiplies various aspects of male health. Due to its smart multi-pathway design, Prime Male is our top T supplement pick for 2017, and the best product on the market that we’ve reviewed to date.
Testosterone Booster Effects
- 100% natural testosterone booster designed for synergy-within-synergy male vitality and restoration.
- Features the enhanced, chelated form of D-Aspartic Acid — D-AA-CC — to boost testosterone more efficiently than plain DAA supplements.
- Supplies only premium quality, research-backed amino acids, vitamins, minerals, and herbal extracts.
- Replenishes the body’s testosterone precursor reserves for total testosterone synthesis.
- Neutralizes SHBG and aromatase for increased free testosterone and reduced estrogen levels.
- Helps to boost vitality, libido, muscle metabolism, fat composition, mood and cognition for prime mature-aged men.
Prime Male Ingredients List
- D-Aspartic Acid Calcium Chelate (D-AA-CC): Works by boosting testosterone synthesis and release, shown to increase testosterone by 42% in 12 days. Prime Male’s D-AA-CC is superior to standard D-Aspartic Acid found in other supplements.
- Mucuna Pruriens (Std. to 15% L-DOPA): We recommend Mucuna pruriens standardized to at least 10% for significant testosterone improvement. Prime Male goes with 15% levodopa; a nicely balanced booster.
- Boron (as Boron Amino Acid Chelate): Clinically researched dosage in the best form: Amino Acid Chelate — may significantly increase serum testosterone within a week of supplementation.
- Korean Red Ginseng 4:1 Extract: Helps support the “Vitality” aspect of Prime Male’s complex design, enhancing muscle, physical and sexual energy to improve all-around male performance.
- Luteolin: Interesting, natural choice for balancing the testosterone to estrogen ratio in men, backed by promising research and results; gaining popularity in newer supplements.
- Magnesium (as Magnesium Citrate): Prime Male uses the potent citrate form for increased potency and absorption, outperforming the Mg form used in cheaper supplements
- Nettle Root 10:1 Extract: Highly concentrated stinging nettle extract, an indirect testosterone booster that’s traditionally and clinically valued for its prostate protection benefits.
- Vitamin B6 (as P-5-P): Most booster supplements go with the cheaper pyridoxine HCl form while Prime Male opts for the bio-active “extra strength” form of vitamin B6.
- Vitamin D3: Direct correlation with testosterone levels (low D = low T), improves magnesium absorption for even bigger testosterone results.
- Vitamin K2 (as Menaquinone-7): Vitamin D improves magnesium absorption, whereas K2 potentiates vitamin D’s effects, contributing an important cog-wheel constituent to Prime Male’s “multiplying” testosterone increase benefits.
- Zinc (as Zinc Citrate): Great for boosting testosterone levels, libido, and virility, especially for the active “mineral-sweating” males. Prime Male sticks with the high-quality citrate form.
- BioPerine®: Patented black pepper extract added to supplements to boost nutrient absorption in tiny dosages (~5 mg), begging the question: Why don’t all supplements include BioPerine?
Prime Male Formula Features
- 100% safe, naturally: Nothing but herbs, aminos, flavones, vitamins, and minerals — no synthetics or banned substances.
- 360 Degree Coverage: Provides raw material, promotes synthesis, prevents SHBG binding, inhibits estrogen conversion, and more.
- Each daily serving splits into 1 capsule taken 4 times, maximizing the daily intake while keeping the effects constant throughout the day.
- BioPerine® black pepper extract helps boost the formula’s overall bioavailability. We wish more supplements used it.
- Manufactured in an FDA-approved supplements facility according to Good Manufacturing Practices.
- Results or Refund: Prime Male offers a 90-day use guarantee, so you can buy this test booster and try it risk-free.
- Backed by the strength of dozens of positive reviews, also rated 5 stars (out of 5) here at Best 5 Supplements
Prime Male is a testosterone booster that works for all men, but is not really a bodybuilder’s booster with a bunch of anabolic extras. Prime Male is the top ranked testosterone supplement on the market, at least that we have reviewed so far. If want to start a testosterone boosting regimen and are looking to buy one formula, Prime Male is a sure bet.
Prime Male tops Best5’s reviews across our Best Testosterone Booster Supplements lists for one very important reason: It boosts testosterone, helps build muscle, unleashes sex benefits and more. This hasn’t changed between 2016 and 2017, and we doubt it’ll change next year. No other supplement can match Prime Male’s universal test benefits and top ranked quality, at least not that we’ve reviewed. However, younger hardcore bodybuilding dudes might instead buy one of the more anabolic muscle oriented products on this list.
#2: EVLTEST by EVLUTION NUTRITION
EVLTEST is the test booster of our times, a “SparkNotes” formula that PACKS and CONDENSES every essential point on testosterone boosting into a single, well-organized package, selling itself simply as a Training and Recovery Amplifier supplement for the BIG bodybuilding men. The Up/Down dynamic on male hormones — up with testosterone, down with estrogen — helps athletic bros to build muscle faster and leaner.
Testosterone Booster Effects
- Helps promote total testosterone levels with DAA and sharpens it with fenugreek’s free testosterone effects for a big boost.
- Offers anti-estrogenic man-boob protection in the form of cruciferous compound diindolylmethane, helping maintain testosterone in manly range
- Supplements two important testosterone minerals, zinc and magnesium, that may be lost by sweaty athletic activity.
- Energy for physical and sexual performance with a potent natural extract of Tribulus Terrestris, which nicely complements the testosterone boosting activity.
EVLTEST Ingredients List
- D-Aspartic Acid: Scientifically proven to increase testosterone by 42% in 12 days, a great choice for booster supplements. Not Prime Male’s more potent D-AA-CC form but delivered in a much higher dosages, one of the highest on the market at 3,120 mg.
- Tribulus Terrestris Extract (Std. to 40% Saponins): Despite its massive popularity in male performance supplements and reputation for muscle benefits, Trib doesn’t enhance testosterone — but it is great for male health and libido, especially at this 40% standardized extract.
- Fenugreek Extract (Std. to 50% Saponins): This natural spice complements the total testosterone boost of DAA with its promotion of free testosterone bioactivity, making your test even more testy.
- Diindolylmethane: The increase in testosterone activity also increases aromatization of testosterone into estrogen, which is, well, counterproductive to EVLTEST’s aim. Diindolylmethane curbs this side effect by inhibiting the aromatase enzyme.
- Vitamin D3: Super important for testosterone; EVLTEST supplies a decent 1,000 IU vitamin D3 dosage is good in conjunction with multivitamin supplements, alleviating vitamin D-deficiency concerns while not overdoing it.
- Vitamin B6 (as Pyridoxine HCl): A solid testosterone booster; accompanies the next two ingredients to fulfill the ZMA trio, which EVLTEST provides in its standard researched form, e.g., as pyridoxine HCl and not the more effective P-5-P form found in other T booster supplements.
- Magnesium (as Aspartate): Another decent dosage of a critical testosterone nutrient; decent quality compound that could perhaps improve in both categories but still hits the Mg mark we’re looking for in testosterone booster supplements.
- Zinc (as Monomethionine and Aspartate): Scientifically proven as a testosterone building block; dosage is a potent 30 mg (200% DV) for a big boost; just be careful not to take too much zinc if you’re using other mineral supplements.
EVLTEST Formula Features
- Only familiar, well-researched testosterone booster supplements include the sports nutritional ZMA, Tribulus, and Fenugreek trio.
- 3.12 g DAA (not D-AA-CC), one of the highest dosages of one of the best test ingredients on the market. Expect a big testosterone boost with that big dose.
- Beyond testosterone, the 4-tablet serving size taken at night naturally supports nighttime sleep and muscle recovery, helping to build mass.
- The Supplement Facts avoid the proprietary blend shenanigans, revealing all testosterone booster ingredient dosages and formats.
- Reviews include Bodybuilding dot com’s 2015 Breakout Brand of the Year Award (EVLUTION NUTRITION). They make even better sports nutrition supplements in 2017 too, bro!
- We’ve reviewed several Evlution Nutrition supplements, all of which rated highly — reflecting strong brand quality
- Rated 4.8 stars (out of 5) by Best 5 Supplements
Given that EVLTEST clearly has done its homework, providing only scientifically validated male enhancers and testosterone booster supplements, we’re somewhat surprised to see Tribulus Terrestris make an appearance here. Not that it’s necessarily a bad ingredient — it’s great for male health and energy, and a good choice for libido booster supplements — but its heavy dosage detracts from the EVLTEST ingredients that actually do increase testosterone. EVLTEST may be a newcomer, but it easily ranked in the top 5 on our 2017 Best 5 Supplements for Testosterone products list.
Despite the straightforward simplicity design, EVL TEST is far from a narrow supplement, covering a complex array of benefits from natural testosterone boosts to muscle strength and recovery to better performance, sleep, and (if not sleep, then) sex. While the heavy DAA dosage may help to naturally increase low testosterone levels ascribed to age-related decline, EVLTEST is first and foremost a young buck supplement intent on enhancing the man-power of BIG muscle bound manly men.
#3: Nugenix Ultimate Testosterone by Direct Digital
Turning around from one of the worst testosterone booster supplements we’ve covered for our Best5 reviews (the original Nugenix was a proprietary, additive-filled supplement), Nugenix Ultimate Testosterone delivers hope in 2017, supplying some of the best test boosters at massive, transparent dosages. Its muscle building androgenic testosterone boosts also come with an especially sexy feel-good edge, making this one of the best designed T supplements on the market.
Testosterone Booster Effects
- Takes the DAA + Fenugreek approach to total and free boosts on testosterone activity.
- Helps increase sexual energy and function with Horny Goat Weed and Maca, particularly for the impaired older dudes.
- Protects the prostate with a mild, yet heavily dosed addition of Stinging Nettle leaf powder.
- May boost the testosterone to cortisol ratio to reduce stress and increase anabolic muscle gains.
Nugenix Ultimate Testosterone Ingredients List
- D-Aspartic Acid: Only slightly trailing behind EVLTEST’s 3.12 g dosage on a still impressive 3,000 mg DAA per serving of Nugenix Ultimate Testosterone.
- Fenugreek Extract (Std. to 50% Saponins): Premium natural Fenugreek extract that’s not only standardized but sitting on a hefty 700 mg dosage that’s great for muscle and testosterone
- Epimedium sagittatum 4:1 Extract: A 4:1 concentrated upgrade from standard Horny Goat Weed, a proven aphrodisiac plant that mimics testosterone without actually increasing testosterone.
- Nettle Leaf: No extract, no standardization — just straight Stinging Nettle powder, providing mild, natural prostate protection help to Nugenix Ultimate Testosterone.
- Maca Root: Standard Maca powder is not a top rated testosterone booster, but does work to unleash feel-good boosts on energy and support for libido.
- Mucuna Pruriens (Std. to 40% L-DOPA): Oy guacamole, that’s a high concentration of L-DOPA, definitely enough to get those dopamine and LH levels rocking for testosterone support
- Tongkat Ali 100:1 Extract: Stacked on top of Horny Goat Weed and Maca, this natural root extract further increases Nugenix’s sexual performance benefits while also decreasing catabolic stress hormone cortisol.
- Boron (as Boron Citrate): Supplying 5% elemental boron for a total of 10 mg boron, the amount demonstrated to increase testosterone levels in only a week.
Nugenix Ultimate Testosterone Formula Features
- Switch to non-proprietary Supplement Facts, revealing every ingredient’s (large) dosage… thanks, Nugenix Ultimate Testosterone.
- Intense T boosting activity: 2 natural standardized herbs and 1 mega-concentrated L-DOPA extract for high potency support.
- 3 grams of top ranked testosterone booster D-Aspartic Acid per serving daily, one of the biggest dosages we’ve covered in our reviews
- 5% discount with free shipping if you join Nugenix Ultimate Testosterone’s autoship program.
- Positive reviews and documented testosterone boosts are all over the web. Well deserved. Mad props.
- Rated 4.7 stars (out of 5) by Best 5 Supplements
Nugenix Ultimate Testosterone advertises itself as an Advanced Free Testosterone Complex, yet sets aside a sizable amount of tablet space for herbs that prioritize sex over sex hormones. Hey, we’re not against libido booster supplements by any means, particularly when they’re paired with major boosts like DAA, Mucuna, and Boron, but let’s stay focused on testosterone here!
Similar to Prime Male, Nugenix Ultimate Testosterone primarily benefits the older crowd, particularly men on the downward facing side of age-related testosterone decline. Ironically, this product hasn’t aged super well as it lost the #2 spot on our 2016 Best Testosterone Booster Supplements to EVLTEST in the 2017 edition of the list of testosterone supplements. But it’s still an elite grade formula to increase testosterone, build muscle faster, and enhance overall performance in mature aged men.
#4: TestoFuel by Roar Ambition
Testosterone and muscle. Typically, if you have the former, the latter is assumed to follow. TestoFuel makes no assumptions, honing in on both testosterone and muscle independently with its Anabolic Support Complex formula. Cramming 120 capsules into a 30-day package, TestoFuel packs a mean punch for the weighty bodybuilders looking to muscle up, naturally.
Testosterone Booster Effects
- Helps promote an energized, anabolic metabolism to help build muscle faster and leaner.
- Herbals shown to increase both physical and sexual male performance via testosterone.
- ZMA replenishment for faster athletic recovery and deeper sleep; helps boost anabolic growth.
- Offers oyster extract that naturally supplies amino acid and mineral boosters for testosterone and libido.
- Strong reviews and documented testosterone boosts, mostly from bodybuilders
TestoFuel Ingredients List
- D-Aspartic Acid: 2,300 mg DAA sets the tone for this plain, yet hefty and impressive Anabolic Support Complex supplement… good for a big testosterone boost.
- Asian Red Panax Ginseng: Sort of an X-factor ingredient to the likes of Prime Male’s Ginseng extract, promoting a Yin-Yang boost on both energy and relaxation.
- Fenugreek Seed: Keeping DAA’s testosterone increase “free” from the clutches of SHBG bondage and 5-alpha reductase conversion.
- Oyster Extract: An interesting T booster supplement addition, naturally providing more manly vitamins and minerals to the items below — after all, oysters are the highest food source testosterone boosting zinc.
- Vitamin D3: Massive 5,000 IU dose of cholecalciferol, which is the superior natural form for testosterone, making TestoFuel especially relevant during the annual season of long, sunless nights.
- Vitamin K2: An important vitamin for boosting natural testosterone synthesis, particularly in the superior K2 form.
- Vitamin B6 (as Pyridoxine HCl): The B6 as well as the next two booster ingredients are delivered in the inferior forms observed in ZMA research to have a positive effects on strength, sleep, and testosterone.
- Magnesium (as Magnesium Aspartate): Decent 200 mg dosage and form, delivering one of the best essentials to build up and support healthy testosterone. Dietary intake of magnesium is generally low, according to WebMD.
- Zinc (as Monomethionine and Aspartate): Ditto for TestoFuel’s zinc, which sits on a smaller 10 mg (67% DV) dosage — not bad for the younger body building crowd.
TestoFuel Formula Features
- 2,300 mg of the balls-out testosterone booster D-Aspartic Acid in its plain, researched form
- Truth in labeling: No BS proprietary blends, all dosages are shown
- The Zn, Mg, B6 trio in the forms researched together in the ZMA studies, increase muscle strength and recovery, build mass and used for boosting T, too
- 4 capsule pills servings split evenly throughout the day for monthly 24/7 coverage.
- Free delivery to USA and UK on 2 bottle orders — or the Ultimate Muscle Gainer’s Package: 3 bottles + 1 free box, TestoFuel T-shirt, TestoFuel e-book workout guide, and free delivery
- 90-day money-back guarantee means you can buy to increase your testosterone with zero risk
- Sporty T booster rated 4.3 stars (out of 5) by Best 5 Supplements
When we first reviewed it in 2016, we noticed TestoFuel swaps quality for quantity, failing to reach peak potency on certain ingredients (e.g., DAA instead of D-AA-CC), opting for higher dosages instead. Also, TestoFuel runs a monopoly on its product, withholding their supplement from 3rd party sellers such as Amazon and GNC.
TestoFuel bulldozes over lesser products onto our list by its sheer size, energy and power. Top proven natural testosterone supplements in 4-capsule daily servings: How do you say no? The athletic sports nutrition design provides a unique, effect booster for younger, bodybuilding, muscle strength-oriented men in a market saturated with shoddy sex pill supplements. TestoFuel operates as a DAA-infused counterpart for younger men, as opposed to the “mature” testosterone booster supplements designed for older men, carving out a solid spot on Best 5 Supplements top reviews of the year for 2017. One of the best test supplements customized for athletes, too.
#5: Test 3x SX-7 Black Onyx by MuscleTech
MuscleTech makes a lot of supplements, some great, some not-so-hot. However, one of their products we trust: Test 3x SX-7 Black Onyx — the company’s “Most Powerful and Hardcore Testosterone Boosting Formula” that impresses us with its 3-in-1 benefits design.
Test Booster Effects
- Test 3X SX-7’s “three supplements in one” Design: A triple threat to increase testosterone, decrease Estrogen, and reduce stress hormone C (cortisol) in men.
- Enhances strength via adaptogenic energy, thanks to a premium extract of Ayurvedic muscle strength booster, Ashwagandha.
- Promotes healthy brain and body chemical and circulatory levels via essential male healthy vitamins and minerals.
- Acts as a sex drive booster and masculine performance supplement with traditional aphrodisiac herbs.
Test 3x SX-7 Black Onyx Ingredients List
- D-Aspartic Acid: Competing with EVLTEST, Test 3x SX-7 Black Onyx supplies 3.12 g DAA as well, packing powerful testosterone booster support from the get-go.
- Tribulus Terrestris Extract (Std. to 45% Saponins): The second highest dosed ingredient for boosting sex drive, helping to build muscle and enhancing performance.
- Boron (as Boron Citrate): Measures up to an adequate 10 mg daily serving, to boost free testosterone while helping to maintain normal estrogen levels.
- Ashwagandha (as Sensoril®): One of the popular patented brands of Ashwagandha, a strength-increasing testosterone booster and anti-stress ingredient
- Safed Musli Root Extract: Effective aphrodisiac and “erectogenic” agent, traditionally used in Ayurveda natural herbalism to boost sexual drive; not validated for testosterone boosting…yet
- Yacon Root: More often found in fat burner supplements for its natural appetite suppressant support and intestinal health benefits.
- Olive Leaf Extract: X-factor ingredient given with little explanation: Believed to support testicular pathways but to an unclear degree and effect, but not the best for test.
- Vitamin B6 (as Pyridoxine HCl): A key testosterone booster nutrient that accompanies zinc without the magnesium to complete the ZMA picture, instead siding alongside more B vitamins.
- Folic Acid: One of the stranger inclusions in this product; may assist zinc with spermatogenesis, although the mechanisms are unclear.
- Vitamin B12 (as Cyanocobalamin): Weaker form (methylcobalamin is better) of an otherwise key vitamin to many metabolic functions, especially energy
- Zinc (as Zinc Gluconate): Hefty dosage (30 mg), popular form — Test 3x SX-7 Black Onyx passes the testosterone booster zinc test with an A.
Test 3x SX-7 Black Onyx Formula Features
- 3,120 milligrams D-Aspartic Acid drive the majority of its total test boosts
- Premium Sensoril® natural and high potency Ashwagandha extract
- Exotic herbal aphrodisiac ingredients: Musli, Yacon, and Olive Extract
- No proprietary blends in this supplement… thanks, Muscletech
- Generally positive reviews from a strong sports nutrition brand
- Rated 4.2 stars (out of 5) by Best 5 Supplements
Test 3x SX-7 Black Onyx earns this top spot with its base of well-researched, heavy-hitting testosterone boosters, yet treads into unknown territory with the under-researched exotics that we’ve not seen in other products– namely Musli and Yacon. To be fair, the customer reviews are generally positive on Test 3x SX-7, but we can’t know for sure whether these ingredients give a boost to testosterone supplements without seeing some scientifically validated clinical human trials.
MuscleTech is a huge sports nutrition company, churning out various hit-or-miss supplements every year. Test 3x SX-7 Black Onyx is definitely one of their hit supplements that we reviewed, hitting on the essential points of testosterone boosting while notching in a few exciting X-factor exotics for energy and libido in men that might take it to the next level — or might not — but still has a strong enough base to warrant consideration. Test 3x SX-7 Black Onyx made the Best 5 Supplements top reviewed testosterone booster of 2017 list, but keep in mind this supplement is more for younger guys who hit the gym.
The Truth About Testosterone: All men who like being manly will need to buy testosterone booster supplements eventually.
And many men, most notably bodybuilders, go for testosterone booster supplements before they “need” them to enhance their T pathways to keep up with their enhanced testosterone demands.
The good news turns out to be that men have natural testosterone booster supplements to fulfill those needs and that the list seems to be growing by the year. When you decide to buy, it leaves just one last real hurdle: Which testosterone booster should I take?
Good question. While we can’t answer that specifically for you, we can help guide you as you review the many T boosters on the market and look for the right one to buy.
To start, check out our entire category of testosterone booster product reviews, in which we rated a ton of popular supplements — ranked from the greatest to the worst, the safe to the sketchy, and the potent and powerful booster products to the wimpy duds.
- Best 5 has reviewed, rated and ranked over 100 testosterone boosting supplements.
If none of our top ranked testosterone boosting formulas meets your needs, just keep exploring Best 5 Supplements and use our reviews as your guide — you are sure to find the right supplement to buy that is perfect for you.