Suddenly, you have room. Sure, some of that extra space is taken up by flavors, along with junk that makes the powder dissolve in water.
But Alpha BRAIN Instant also uses that extra room for a BIG dosage upgrade in one key blend, along with a new premium ingredient… ultimately making it a better formula than the original Alpha BRAIN. Check it:
About Alpha BRAIN Instant
Billed as “The Ultimate Get Shit Done Formula,” Alpha BRAIN Instant packs a beefed-up version of the Original Alpha BRAIN formula into crystalline drink-mix form, presented in convenient packets in flavors of Peach and Spice. Formula notes:
- Fast-acting. Seems to be the upgrade over Alpha BRAIN capsules; in liquid form the supplement is absorbed more quickly for faster cognitive benefits.
- “Direct” Neurotransmitter effect. Focus, memory & processing speed benefits achieved via brain chemicals; less brainwave emphasis in Instant.
- Certified Drug-Free: A nice quality mark here, third-party tested and certified clean by Banned Substances Control Group
Alpha BRAIN Instant Supplement Facts
|Serving Size 1 Packet (3.7 g) (Peach flavor)|
Servings Per Container 30
|Ingredients||Amount Per Serving|
|Vitamin B-6 (Pyridoxine HCl)||10 mg (500% DV)|
|Onnit® Flow Blend: L-Tyrosine, L-Theanine, Oat (straw) Extract, Phosphatidylserine||1,150 mg|
|AC-11® Cat’s Claw Extract||350 mg|
|Onnit® Focus Blend: L-Alpha-Glycerylphosphorylcholine (GPC), Bacopa monniera (aerial parts) Extract, Huperzia serrata (aerial parts) Extract||240 mg|
|Onnit® Fuel Blend: L-Leucine, Vinpocetine, Bioperine® Black Pepper (fruit) extract, Pterostilbene||71 mg|
|Other Ingredients: Maltodextrin, Natural Flavors, Sodium Citrate, Stevia (leaf) Extract, Fructooligosaccharides, Silicon Dioxide, Citric Acid, Acacia Gum, Tricalcium Phosphate, Silica|
|CONTAINS SOY (L-Alpha glycerylphosphorylcholine (GPC) and Phosphatidylserine derived from soy)|
|Suggested Use: Adults, as a dietary supplement, take one packet mixed with 8 ounces of cold water, preferably with a light meal. Do not take more than one packet in any 24-hour period.|
Alpha BRAIN Instant is a smarter version of a stimulant-free energy drink.
The ingredients in this mix closely mirror Alpha BRAIN original, but with a couple of key upgrades that might make a huge difference in the formula’s effectiveness.
Let’s re-hash the core formula and assess Alpha BRAIN vs. Alpha BRAIN Instant:
Flow Blend, 1150 mg
This blend features two of our Best5 Nootropics: Phosphatidylserine for memory and L-Theanine for “wakeful relaxation.” Oatstraw has Alpha brainwave benefits that work well with L-Theanine, promoting a state for calm productivity. The L-Tyrosine is OK for neurotransmitters, but they use the wrong form – N-Acetyl-L-Tyrosine is the form you want for the best brain benefits.
Alpha BRAIN Instant’s big upgrade is the Flow Blend almost DOUBLES the dosage of Original: 1,150 mg vs. 650 mg.
With that kind of potency, it won’t be long before Alpha BRAIN Instant cracks our Best 5 Nootropic Supplements list.
AC-11®, 350 mg
Alpha BRAIN places a big bet on this patented ingredient, which is a water-extract of South American Cat’s Claw herb. In fact, due to an exclusivity agreement, Alpha BRAIN is the only brand of brain supplements that can even use AC-11.
While AC-11 shows promise as a brain nutrient, we still can’t figure out why Alpha BRAIN uses it. AC-11 does NOT appear to be a brain-boosting nootropic.
All evidence (which is early at best) suggests it is more effective for degenerative, age-related brain problems – not for sharpening focus or improving mental performance right now.
Focus Blend, 240 mg
Alpha-GPC is an OK form of choline, but Alpha BRAIN Instant should be using Citicoline, which performs the same functions as Alpha-GPC and more.
Bacopa and Huperzia Serrata are both good brain health ingredients, but Alpha BRAIN Instant drops the ball because neither one is standardized to supply the herbs’ active ingredients (bacosides and Huperzine-A, respectively). Weak.
Fuel Blend, 71 mg
This blend in Alpha BRAIN instant differs from the original; it’s 6 mg bigger in Instant, and now includes BioPerine®, the branded black pepper extract that enhances absorption of other nutrients.
Vinpocetine boosts brain circulation & Pterostilbene protects brain cells. We can’t figure out why L-Leucine is in here. It does nothing for mental performance.
Finally, the Vitamin B6 in Alpha BRAIN Instant is decent for neurotransmitters, but Alpha BRAIN Instant uses the cheap Pyridoxine form. B6 as P-5-P is better.
Brain formulas intended for true mental domination will opt for the balls-out potency of P-5-P, even though it’s a more expensive ingredient.
Alpha BRAIN Instant is better than Alpha BRAIN. There, we said it.
One of the gripes we have with Alpha BRAIN is their use of slick-sounding prop blends, which hide the dosages of ingredients and make it impossible to measure them against clinical research. That complaint remains in effect.
BUT, Alpha BRAIN Instant makes three key changes that make the prop blend nonsense a little easier to swallow.
- Flow Blend now 2X dosed at 1,150 mg. Flow Blend has great nootropic potential. Now, with 3.7 g powder packets, Alpha BRAIN has the freedom to up the dosage. At 1,150 mg with 4 ingredients, it seems much more likely that Alpha BRAIN Instant hits Critical Mass dosages that work.
- Liquid delivery. Providing the formula as a drink is suggested to improve absorption, which might potentiate the effects of the nootropic ingredients.
- BioPerine®. By using this patented black pepper extract, Alpha BRAIN Instant optimizes absorption of ALL the ingredients in the formula, potentially delivering more active nootropic nutrition to the brain.
These changes are three big steps in the right direction for the Alpha BRAIN brand.
Of course, Alpha BRAIN Instant inherits formula flaws from the original Alpha BRAIN. It uses many cheap nutrient forms, has a lack of standardized herbs, and formulates with some ingredients that just don’t make sense.
Alpha BRAIN Instant Benefits
It’s marketed as supporting memory, focus, and processing speed. The strongest aspect of this formula is the Flow Blend, especially at double dosage. With L-Theanine+Oatstraw, this blend should unlock Alpha brainwave support that promotes feelings of relaxed alertness that is great for creativity and productivity.
Who Takes It?
The emphasis seems to be on professionals who need a convenient, stimulant-free support product that helps them “get shit done.” They also talk about faster processing speed “improving reaction time to external stimulus,” a benefit that seems to target athletes and gamers.
Any Side Effects?
Probably not. Two clinical trials of Alpha BRAIN have shown no adverse effects, and the formula has been around for four years without causing any big problems. It’s also stimulant-free, so no jitters or nervousness are associated with this formula.
Alpha BRAIN Instant Summary
- Almost double-dosed Flow Blend. Big upgrade on good nootropics.
- Convenient. Grab-and-go packets mix up quickly and easily.
- Tasty. Peach and spice flavors go down pretty smooth.
- Faster-Acting. Liquid format may be easier & faster to absorb.
- BioPerine. Another big upgrade, boosts absorption even more.
- BSCG–Certified. No banned substances in these packets. Nice.
- Weak forms. Cheap B6, wrong Tyrosine & non-standardized herbs.
- Prop blends. Still hiding their dosages. Why, Alpha BRAIN? Why?
- Misinformation. Not cool to cite a study that used a different formula.
- Off-target ingredients. We’re still not sold on their formula star, AC-11.
Pricing & Buying Info
- 1 box (30 packets): $59.95
- 1 box (30 packets) with Autoship subscription: $47.96
- Available online
Final Word on Alpha BRAIN Instant
Alpha BRAIN Instant is an upgrade over Alpha BRAIN. By including absorption-enhancing BioPerine and nearly doubling the Flow Blend dosage, they might have just dramatically improved the effectiveness of Alpha BRAIN’s formula. It might even work now. Who knows… Alpha BRAIN Instant may someday crack our Best 5 Nootropic Supplements.