Perhaps you’re a busy individual who wants to live the bodybuilding lifestyle to the fullest. If you want a protein/meal supplement which has a comprehensive nutrient profile, GNC’s BEYOND RAW MACROS is one product worth sizing up. This review gives you the lowdown and more.
About BEYOND RAW MACROS
BEYOND RAW MACROS is “is a whole-foods-based meal supplement powder providing 40 grams lean protein, 30 grams complex carbs, five grams dietary fats, and two grams sugars per two-scoop serving,” per the manufacturer’s official website.Formula notes:
- Comprehensive. Provides your body with an all-out nutritional profile.
- Forty grams of protein per serving. Insane 80 percent of the daily value for increased muscle mass and a bigger anabolic edge.
- Key vitamins and minerals. Most have 25 percent of the daily value.
BEYOND RAW MACROS Supplement Facts (Chocolate Chip Mufin, 4.44 lbs.)
|Serving Size: 2 Scoops
Servings Per Container: 24
|Nutrient||Amount Per Serving||% Daily
|Total Fat||5 g||6%|
|Saturated Fat||3 g||15%|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Potassium (as Dipotassium Phosphate)||0|
|Total Carbohydrate||30 g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g||14%|
|Magnesium (as Magnesium Oxide)||105 mg||25%|
|Zinc (as Zinc Oxide)||2.75 mg||25%|
|Copper (as copper gluconate)||0.23 mg||25%|
|Manganese (as Manganese Sulfate)||0.58 mg||25%|
|Molybdenum (as sodium molybdate)||11.25 mcg||25%|
|Vitamin A (as vitamin A palmitate)||225 mcg||25%|
|Vitamin C (as Ascorbic Acid)||22.5 mg||25%|
|Vitamin D (as Cholecalciferol D-3)||5 mcg||25%|
|Total Sugars||2 g|
|Includes 0 g Added Sugars||0 g|
|Vitamin E (as d-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate)||3.75 mcg||25%|
|Vitamin K (as Phytonadione)||30 mcg||38%|
|Thiamin (as Thiamin Mononitrate)||0.3 mg||25%|
|Niacin (as Niacinamide)||4 mg||25%|
|Vitamin B-12 (as Cyanocobalamin)||0.6 mcg||25%|
|Pantothenic Acid (as D-Calcium Pantothenate)||1.25 mg||25%|
|Choline (as Choline Bitartrate)||27.5 mg||5%|
|Calcium (as Tricalcium Phosphate & Calcium Solicate)||325 mg||25%|
|Iron (as Ferric Sulfate)||4.5 mg||25%|
|Phosphorus (as Tricalcium & Dipotassium Phosphate)||312.5 mg||25%|
|Iodine (as Potassium Iodide)||37.5 mcg||25%|
|Complex Carb Blend:||30 g||**|
|Grains & Legumes||17.6 g||**|
|(Oat Flour, Pea Starch, Quinoa Powder)||**|
|Other Carbs||7.9 g||**|
|(Protein Blend, Fat Blend, Flavors)||**|
|Veggie Blend||2.5 g||**|
|(Sweet Potato Powder, Amaranth Powder, Broccoli Powder, Kale Powder)||**|
|Fruit Blend||2 g||**|
|(Banana Powder, Wild Blueberry Powder, Broccoli Powder, Kale Powder)|
|Protein Blend:||40 g||**|
|Animal Proteins||30 g||**|
|(Beef Protein Isolate, Chicken Protein Isolate, Egg Albumin)||**|
|Plant Proteins||10 g||**|
|(Pea Protein, Brown Rice Protein, Chickpea Protein, Quinoa Powder)||**|
|Dietary Fats Blend||5 g||**|
|(Flaxseed Powder, MCT Oil, Other Fats)||**|
|OTHER INGREDIENTS: Natural & Artificial Flavors, Gum Blend (Cellulose Gum, Xanthan Gum, Carrageenan), Acesulfame Potassium, Sucralose
CONTAINS: Eggs and Tree Nuts (Coconut).
|DIRECTIONS: As a dietary supplement, mix two rounded scoops (84 g) into 12 fl. oz. of water for a full serving, or one rounded scoop (42 g) into 6 fl. oz. of water for a 1/2 serving. Customize your serving size as needed to fit your macros.|
The Whole-Foods-Based Meal Supplement Powder
Protein supplements help bodybuilders and bodybuilding enthusiasts in so many ways:
- Build serious muscle mass and increase exercise performance
- Repair damaged muscle tissues after a hard workout
- Shorten post-workout recovery time
- Meet their daily protein requirements
- Serve as liquid meals or snacks
- Increase satiety for more fat loss
- Provide antioxidant protection (whey protein, in particular, raises glutathione – a powerful antioxidant – levels)
When you supplement with a top-notch protein powder (such as Jay Robb Whey Protein and SFH Pure Whey Protein) in conjunction with regular exercise, sound nutrition, and enough sleep (seven to eight hours nightly), you should achieve your fitness goals.
On that note, let’s see if BEYOND RAW MACROS can help you live a healthier lifestyle.
This product “is a whole-foods-based meal supplement powder providing 40 grams lean protein, 30 grams complex carbs, five grams dietary fats, and two grams sugars per two-scoop serving,” per the manufacturer’s official website.
If you’re a fitness junkie who’s been yearning for convenience, this supplement could become your saving grace. Balanced nutrition is one of the keys in maintaining a healthy body.
Our first impression: It seems BEYOND RAW MACROS has a good balance of macros which should help you increase muscle mass and live a healthy lifestyle. We’re hoping this impression lasts until we size this supplement up thoroughly.
Complex Carb Blend, 30 grams
BEYOND RAW MACROS’ Complex Carb Blend takes up 30 grams per two-scoop serving. It has several sub-blends:
- Grains & Legumes (oat flour, pea starch, quinoa powder), 17.6 grams
- Other Carbs (protein blend, fat blend, flavors), 7.9 grams
- Veggie Blend (sweet potato powder, amaranth powder, broccoli powder, kale powder), 2.5 grams
- Fruit Blend (banana powder, wild blueberry powder, raspberry powder, acerola fruit juice powder), two grams
We like BEYOND RAW MACROS’ emphasis on grains and legumes. Oats are high in fiber. Hence, they help boost digestion and keep cholesterol levels in check. On the other hand, many people don’t know peas help support weight loss, boost cardiovascular function, and increase muscle thickness. We’re glad BEYOND RAW MACROS has pea starch.
Quinoa is another superfood we love. A one-cup serving provides you with eight grams of protein, five grams of fiber, and a solid 58 percent of the recommended daily allowance (RDA) for manganese. It’s truly a nutritional powerhouse.
We’re a bit puzzled with the Other Carbs blend. Why does it highlight protein and fats? It doesn’t make sense. We’re hoping the manufacturer can enlighten its customers on this one.
As for the Veggie Blend, it features a solid combo of sweet potatoes, amaranth, broccoli, and kale. Combine these with the Fruit Blend’s banana, wild blueberry, raspberry, and acerola components, you get a powerful fruit and veggie punch which your body sorely needs. We’re confident these ingredients will help boost heart health and ward off free radicals, among other things.
On the flip side, we also noticed these sub-blends are proprietary in nature. Notice the manufacturer didn’t break down the precise amounts of the individual components. When you leave your customers guessing, it doesn’t make a good impression. A little honesty would’ve gone a long way.
Nonetheless, the Complex Carb Blend remains impressive. Just about the only question marks here are its Other Carbs sub-blend and the proprietary blends. Other than that, it should help take your health and fitness to the next level.
Protein Blend, 40 grams
BEYOND RAW MACROS is not a protein supplement in the strictest sense. The manufacturer makes it clear in its product description. This is a whole-foods-based meal supplement powder.
Nonetheless, BEYOND RAW MACROS’ protein content (40 grams per two-scoop serving) measures up nicely. This much gives you an insane 80 percent of the daily value for this macronutrient. That much should help increase muscle mass, shorten recovery time, and meet your daily protein requirements.
The Protein Blend has two sub-blends:
- Animal Proteins (beef protein isolate, chicken protein isolate, egg albumin), 30 grams
- Plant Proteins (pea protein, brown rice protein, chickpea protein, quinoa powder), 10 grams
We say the Animal Proteins sub-blend boasts of a solid combination. There’s no question beef is a solid source of protein. Plus, a 2.5-lb. serving yields roughly five grams of creatine, the organic amino acid which increases adenosine triphosphate (ATP, an energy source for the body’s cells) and muscle mass (you can find beef protein in protein supplements such as MuscleMeds CARNIVOR SHRED).
Chicken protein isolate is another excellent source of protein. This ingredient helps increase lean body mass and fat loss. Plus, it has a solid amino acid profile and has 180 percent more l-arginine (the nitric-oxide-boosting amino acid) than regular whey protein. Long story short, chicken protein isolate (which you can find in BIN 100% CHXN) is a perfect complement to any lean muscle building program.
As for egg albumin, it’s also an efficient way of ramping up muscle mass. The Golden Age of Bodybuilding legends can attest to that.
On the other hand, plant-based protein powders (such as Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Plant) are great alternatives for vegans and vegetarians. You get a small sample when you try BEYOND RAW MACROS. The usual plant-based protein components such as pea protein, brown rice protein, chickpea protein, and quinoa not only help build muscle, but they also boost long-term health.
Sadly, the Protein Blend’s sub-blends are also proprietary in nature. That doesn’t bode well for the customer – it leaves him or her guessing. Once again, we would’ve appreciated a bit more honesty on the manufacturer’s part.
Nevertheless, the Protein Blend harnesses the powers of several solid protein sources. We’re sure they can help you achieve your short- and long-term fitness goals.
Let’s check out the formula ingredients:
- Calories, 330: BEYOND RAW MACROS supplies you with 330 calories per two-scoop serving. That much should suffice for a regular individual. However, if you’re a hard-training athlete, you need more. Nonetheless, this product is a good alternative as a snack for active people.
- Total fat, 5 g: BEYOND RAW MACROS’ five grams of fat per serving represents six percent of the daily value, which is bordering on low.
- Saturated fat, 3 g: This product’s 15 percent of the daily value for saturated fat is high. If you’re monitoring your saturated fat intake, better skip this one.
- Trans fat, 0 g: BEYOND RAW MACROS has zero trans fat content. This type of fat lowers good cholesterol (HDL) levels and increases bad cholesterol (LDL) levels, per the American Heart Association’s official website. This may result in cardiovascular issues. We’re glad this supplement has no trans fats at all.
- Cholesterol, 20 mg: BEYOND RAW MACROS’ cholesterol content represents seven percent of the daily value, which is in the medium range.
- Potassium (as dipotassium phosphate), 0: This product has no potassium content whatsoever.
- Total carbohydrate, 30 g: This product’s 30 grams of carbs per two-scoop serving represents 11 percent of the daily value. While this is not a low value, it can still support a low-carb nutrition plan (especially in conjunction with regular exercise).
- Dietary fiber, 4 g: BEYOND RAW MACROS’ dietary fiber content – 14 percent of the daily value – borders on high. With that in mind, this supplement should help regulate cholesterol levels, promote regular bowel movement, and boost cardiovascular function.
- Protein, 40 g: BEYOND RAW MACROS harnesses the powers of animal protein and plant protein to give you an insane 40 grams per two-scoop serving. This much represents an otherworldly 80 percent of the daily value. You’re sure to build muscle mass, shorten recovery time, and meet your daily protein requirements when you take this supplement.
- Magnesium (as magnesium oxide), 105 mg: A mineral which helps strengthen bones, regulate cardiovascular function and blood sugar levels, improve sleep quality, and increase testosterone levels.
- Zinc (as zinc oxide), 2.75 mg: This versatile mineral helps increase immunity, ward off free radicals, regulate blood sugar levels, boost heart and liver health, improve sleep quality, muscle growth, and sexual function; and ramp up testosterone levels.
- Copper (as copper gluconate), 0.23 mg: This mineral helps increase human growth hormone (HGH) and energy levels.
- Manganese (as manganese sulfate), 0.58 mg: A mineral which helps keep osteoporosis at bay, improve metabolism and digestion, and regulate blood sugar levels and thyroid function.
- Molybdenum (as sodium molybdate), 11.25 mcg: This essential mineral helps facilitate waste elimination, strengthen teeth, and ward off free radicals.
- Sodium, 504 mg: Sodium helps regulate fluid and balance ion levels in the body, keep muscle cramping at bay, and enhance cognitive function. BEYOND RAW MACROS has 21 percent of the daily value for sodium, which is a high level. If you’re monitoring your sodium intake, consult with a physician before buying this product.
- Vitamin A (as vitamin A palmitate), 225 mcg: A vitamin which helps boost vision, regulate immune system function, and keep free radicals at bay.
- Vitamin C (as ascorbic acid), 22.5 mg: A versatile vitamin which helps regulate blood pressure levels, boost cardiovascular and ocular function, and ward off free radicals.
- Vitamin D (as cholecalciferol D-3), 5 mcg: This mineral helps ward off free radicals, improve cardiovascular function, and strengthen bones.
- Total sugars (includes 0 g added sugars), 2 g: BEYOND RAW MACROS has low sugar content at just two grams per two-scoop serving.
- Vitamin E (as d-alpha tocopherol acetate), 3.75 mg: Vitamin E helps boost metabolism and keep free radicals at bay.
- Vitamin K (as phytonadione), 30 mcg: This vitamin helps ward off free radicals, improve bone density, digestion, and immunity; and regulate blood sugar levels.
- Thiamin (as thiamin mononitrate), 0.3 mg: Simply known as vitamin B1, this component helps shore up cardiovascular function and ramp up energy levels.
- Riboflavin, 0.33 mg: Vitamin B2 helps increase energy levels as well as regulate digestion and immunity.
- Niacin (as niacinamide), 4 mg: Vitamin B3 helps keep cholesterol levels in check and improve heart health.
- Folate, 100 mcg: Vitamin B9 helps increase muscle mass, improve hemoglobin levels and cardiovascular function, and stifle free radical activity.
- Vitamin B12 (as cyanocobalamin), 0.6 mcg: Vitamin B12 helps regulate cardiovascular function, keep fatigue at bay, and shore up the immune system.
- Biotin, 7.5 mcg: Vitamin B7 helps ward off inflammation, repair muscle tissue, and boost hair, nail, and skin health.
- Pantothenic acid (as d-calcium pantothenate), 1.25 mg: Vitamin B5 helps boost immune and cardiovascular system function, increase stamina, and keep stress levels in check.
- Choline (as choline bitartrate), 27.5 mg: Choline is a water-soluble compound which helps synthesize DNA, transport and metabolize fats, and boost the nervous system.
- Calcium (as tricalcium phosphate and calcium solicate), 325 mg: This mineral helps strengthen bones, boost heart health, and regulate blood pressure levels.
- Iron (as ferric sulfate), 4.5 mg: A mineral which plays a key role in hemoglobin formation, regulates body temperature, wards off fatigue, improves sleep quality, and boosts immunity.
- Phosphorus (as tricalcium and dipotassium phosphate), 312.5 mg: A mineral which helps boost kidney and brain function, regulate digestion, improve energy flow, keep muscle fatigue at bay, and strengthen bones and teeth.
- Iodine (as potassium iodide), 37.5 mcg: An essential mineral which helps regulate metabolism, support thyroid function, boost the immune and reproductive systems, and ward off free radicals.
Complex Carb Blend, 30 g
Grains & Legumes, 17.6 g
- Oat Flour: Oats help keep cholesterol levels in check, boost heart health, and promote regular bowel movement.
- Pea Starch: Peas help ward off inflammation, keep free radicals at bay, and provide good fats for improved cardiovascular function. Plus, some experts say peas are good sources of l-arginine, the nitric-oxide-boosting amino acid.
- Quinoa Powder: A superfood which helps boost digestion, keep free radicals at bay, regulate blood sugar levels, and boost heart health. Quinoa is also a good source of protein – one cup yields roughly eight grams.
Other Carbs, 7.9 g
- Protein Blend: A macronutrient which helps build and repair muscle mass.
- Fat Blend: A macronutrient which helps improve cardiovascular function and increase energy levels.
- Flavors: Additional components which helps improve the taste of BEYOND RAW MACROS.
Veggie Blend, 2.5 g
- Sweet Potato Powder: A root vegetable which helps boost eyesight, regulate immunity, ward off free radicals, and boost digestion.
- Amaranth Powder: An herbal ingredient which helps build muscle mass, boost hair health, regulates cholesterol levels, improve cardiovascular function, strengthen bones, and keep free radicals at bay.
- Broccoli Powder: Broccoli helps ward off free radicals, strengthen the immune system, boost cardiovascular function, and improve vision.
- Kale Powder: A vegetable which helps detoxify the body, improve heart and brain health, regulate blood sugar and cholesterol levels, strengthen bones, and keep free radicals at bay.
Fruit Blend, 2 g
- Banana powder: This fruit is an excellent source of potassium. One 100-gram serving yields roughly 358 milligrams. Bananas also help ward off free radicals, regulate cholesterol levels, boost heart health, improve sleep quality, strengthen bones, and support renal function.
- Wild Blueberry Powder: Experts consider this as the King of Antioxidant content among fruits. Blueberries also help regulate cholesterol and blood pressure levels, improve cardiovascular function, enhance cognitive function, and boost post-workout recovery.
Protein Blend, 40 g
Animal Proteins, 30 g
- Beef Protein Isolate: An animal protein which helps increase lean muscle mass and strength. It also provides your muscles with impressive amino acid and creatine content.
- Chicken Protein Isolate: Chicken is an excellent source of protein – one 100-gram serving gives you an awesome 31 grams. Aside from chickens’ impressive amino acid profile (it has all nine essential amino acids), it’s also a great source of the amino acid l-tryptophan (which helps induce relaxation).
- Egg Albumin: Contrary to popular belief, eggs help improve cardiovascular health. Eggs also supply the body with vitamin D (which strengthens bones) and good cholesterol (HDL).
Plant Proteins, 10 g
- Pea Protein: Peas help keep inflammation at bay, boost heart health, and increase nitric oxide production (thanks to its l-arginine content).
- Brown Rice Protein: One 100-gram serving of brown rice supplies the body with 23 grams of carbohdyrates, 2.6 grams of protein (five percent of the daily value), and 1.8 grams of dietary fiber.
- Chickpea Protein: A legume which provides the body with a solid 19 grams of protein per 100-gram serving. Chickpea also helps keep cholesterol levels in check, regulate immunity, improve sleep quality, and regulate blood sugar levels.
- Quinoa Powder: Quinoa helps facilitate better digestion, ward off free radicals, regulate blood sugar levels, and improve cardiovascular function.
Dietary Fats Blend, 5 g
- Flaxseed Powder: A fiber crop which provides two grams of polyunsaturated fat per one tablespoon serving. “Polyunsaturated fats can help reduce bad cholesterol levels in your blood which can lower your risk of heart disease and stroke. They also provide nutrients to help develop and maintain your body’s cells,” per the American Heart Association’s official website.
- MCT Oil: Manufacturers commonly extract medium-chain triglyceride (MCT) oil from coconut oil. MCT oil helps boost weight loss and increase energy levels. It’s a staple ingredient in many Keto Diet recipes.
- Other fats: The manufacturer doesn’t disclose the specific types of fats it included in this sub-blend. There’s a good chance this contains some form of saturated fat. We took a hint from the 15 percent daily value the manufacturer indicated on the supplement facts table.
If you’re looking for a protein supplement which goes above and beyond the call of duty, BEYOND RAW MACROS answers the call.
First off, you can’t find a protein powder which has a comprehensive macronutrient and micronutrient profile as this one. In fact, one look at the supplement facts will blow you away. You can compare the amount of BEYOND RAW MACROS’ ingredients to a top-notch multivitamin. That’s how well-rounded this supplement is.
Long story short, any bodybuilding and fitness enthusiast can’t go wrong with 40 grams of protein, 30 grams of complex carbs (unless you’re on a low-carb diet), five grams of dietary fats, and a mere two grams of sugars per two-scoop serving.
Forty grams of protein per serving is a sure-fire recipe for increased muscle mass and shorter recovery time. That much is a sure bet to help you meet your daily protein requirements.
Plus, BEYOND RAW MACROS’ unique combination of animal and plant protein is a rarity among protein supplements. If you can’t decide between the two, try both. This product gives you the best of both worlds.
As for the Complex Carb Blend, we like the inclusions of oat flour, pea starch, and quinoa powder. Together, these help regulate cholesterol levels, increase muscle thickness, and improve cardiovascular function. You couldn’t ask for more than that.
Thirty grams of carbs per serving isn’t exactly low carb. If you’re on a low-carb nutrition plan, better skip BEYOND RAW MACROS. Otherwise, this product gives you just the right amount of carbs for a meal replacement supplement.
In terms of the Dietary Fats Blend, the combination of flaxseed powder and MCT oil will help boost heart health as well as increase fat loss and energy levels. You need good fats in your diet. We say BEYOND RAW MACROS’ five grams of dietary fats per serving should go a long way.
Throw in key amounts of vitamins and minerals, you’re all set. Notice most of these nutrients have a 25 percent daily value on the supplement facts. Bear in mind experts already consider 15 percent of the daily value a high amount.
Let’s not forget about the Veggie Blend and Fruit Blend. You can’t go wrong with the inclusions of sweet potato, amaranth, broccoli, kale, banana, and wild blueberry. If you’re having some issues getting your fruits and vegetables in, BEYOND RAW MACROS will help you in that regard.
With these in mind, BEYOND RAW MACROS is a perfect name for this product – it won’t leave you shortchanged in terms of your nutrient intake, for sure. It is the complete nutritional package.
Unfortunately, BEYOND RAW MACROS is not a perfect product. Its first glaring flaw is transparency – the manufacturer doesn’t divulge the exact of its sub-blends. Like we said, this leaves the customer guessing. A little honesty would’ve gone a long way.
This product also has high saturated fat content (15 percent of the daily value). Too much saturated fat intake may result in cardiovascular issues. If you’re monitoring your saturated fat consumption, skip BEYOND RAW MACROS.
Finally, this supplement contains several dirty ingredients (carrageenan and sucralose). We’re wondering why the manufacturer laced a solid product with these fillers. It could’ve used natural ingredients such as stevia (which regulates blood pressure and blood sugar levels) instead.
Nevertheless, BEYOND RAW MACROS is an above average and comprehensive whole-foods-based meal supplement powder. If you’re yearning for good nutrition and convenience, this product provides both. It’s a good addition to any busy and fit lifestyle.
BEYOND RAW MACROS Benefits
“BEYOND RAW MACROS is a whole-foods-based meal supplement powder providing 40 grams lean protein, 30 grams complex carbs, five grams dietary fats, and two grams sugars per two-scoop serving,” per the manufacturer’s official website.
Who Takes It?
The manufacturer intended BEYOND RAW MACROS for healthy and active individuals who want to increase muscle mass, shorten recovery time, fill nutrition gaps, and achieve their daily fitness goals.
Any Side Effects?
BEYOND RAW MACROS has 15 percent of the daily value for saturated fats. High saturated fat intake may result in cardiovascular issues.
This supplement also contains carrageenan and sucralose. Experts have linked the former to carcinogenicity and gastrointestinal issues. On the other hand, they have linked the latter to obesity.
If these, or any other ingredient, make you feel doubtful, please consult your physician before buying BEYOND RAW MACROS.
The manufacturer also issues a warning:
BEYOND RAW MACROS Review Summary
- Comprehensive. Provides you with the macros and micronutrients you need.
- Forty grams of protein per serving. Eighty percent of the daily value for more muscle mass.
- Dietary Fats Blend. Flaxseed powder and MCT oil for better heart health.
- Key vitamins and minerals. Most have at least 25 percent of the daily value.
- Fruit and Veggie Blend. Great way of consuming fresh produce on a daily basis.
- Flavor options. Comes in Maple Brown Sugar and Chocolate Chip Muffin flavors.
- High in saturated fats. Fifteen percent of the daily value.
- Dirty ingredients. Contains carrageenan and sucralose.
- Transparency. Manufacturer doesn’t break down individual ingredients of sub-blends.
Pricing & Where to Buy
- 1 4.44-lb. container (24-Day Supply): $59.99
- Available online and in retail
Final Word on BEYOND RAW MACROS
If you want a convenient way of getting your macros and other key nutrients in, BEYOND RAW MACROS is a good – not great – alternative. It provides you with 40 grams of protein, 30 grams of carbs, and five grams of dietary fats. Clearly, this is a good balance for individuals who live the bodybuilding lifestyle.
Unfortunately, BEYOND RAW MACROS is an imperfect protein/meal replacement supplement. We’re clamoring for a cleaner version with lower saturated fat content and better transparency sooner than later.