When it comes to uniqueness, EVOGEN Cell K.E.M. is one post-workout supplement which should be in the conversation. Muscle pumps galore is just the tip of the iceberg. This review will give you the lowdown and more.
About EVOGEN Cell K.E.M.
EVOGEN Cell K.E.M. is the “Elite Mass & Recovery Catalyst” and a “precisely-formulated, high-performance supplement designed to address the key factors that impact muscle growth and recovery following high-intensity training,” per its official website. Formula notes:
- Good ingredient combo. BCAAs, glutamine, l-glutamine AKG, arginine AKG, creatine gluconate, citrulline malate, and l-norvaline.
- Rare post-workout which has l-norvaline. Amino acid which ensures maximum nitric oxide production.
- Teeming with ascorbic acid and B Vitamins. For increased energy levels and better long-term health.
EVOGEN Cell K.E.M. Supplement Facts (Fruit Punch, 400 grams)
|Serving Size: 1 Scoop (Approx. 10 g)|
Servings Per Container: 40
|Nutrient||Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value|
|Vitamin C (as ascorbic acid)||250 mg||417%|
|Vitamin B1 (as thiamine)||1 mg||49%|
|Vitamin B2 (as riboflavin)||2 mg||99%|
|Niacin (as niacinamide)||5 mg||25%|
|Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine hcl)||7 mg||368%|
|Calcium (Dicalcium Phosphate)||52 mg||5%|
|Phosphorus (as dipotassium phosphate, dicalcium phosphate, trimagnesium phosphate)||71 mg||7%|
|Magnesium (as trimagnesium phosphate)||37 mg||9%|
|Sodium (as sodium chloride)||150 mg||6%|
|Potassium (as dipotassium phosphate)||90 mg||3%|
|Cell K.E.M. Cellular Kinetic Expansion Matrix 8.6 g|
|4:1:1 Growth Acceleration Complex: *|
|Fermented, Ultra-Soluble BCAA complex: Leucine (as FUSIL™ fermented & ultrasoluble BCAA), Isoleucine, Valine – 4:1:1 anabolic ratio.|
|Recovery Augmenting/Anti-Catabolic/Anti-Oxidant Complex:|
|Glutamine (from a fermented source), Ascorbic Acid, L-Glutamine Alpha- Ketoglutarate, Resveratrol, Pyridoxine, Niacinamide, Riboflavin, Thiamine|
|Osmotic Expansion/ATP-Enhancing Complex:|
|Arginine Alpha Keto-Glutarate, Creatine Gluconate, ††Citrulline Malate, L- Norvaline|
|Electrolyte Infusion/Hyper Hydration Complex:|
|Sodium Citrate, Dipotassium Phosphate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Trimagnesium phosphate, Sodium chloride|
|Ingredients: Citric Acid, Natural And Artificial Fruit Punch Flavor, Xanthan Gum, Silicon Dioxide, Natural & Artificial Prosweet Flavor, Acesulfame-K, Sucralose, Fd&C Red No. 40 Lake.|
|Directions: Consume recommended dose immediately after training, or an empty stomach. Mix with 4-6 oz cold water per scoop. Wait at least 20-30 minutes before consuming any typical post-workout protein shake or meal. For best results, use within 60 days of breaking the seal. Store in a cool, dry place, away from moisture and sunlight.|
For 100-150lb athlete – 1.o scoop
For 150-200lb athlete – 1.5 scoops
For 200+ athlete – 2 scoops
To blunt the catabolic effects of sleep-time fasting, consume an additional dose of Cell K.E.M. upon waking.
The Elite Mass & Recovery Catalyst
We hope you’ve read our post-workout supplement reviews. We’re sure you’ve seen some comprehensive recovery formulas along the way.
One such product is Too Fit Rally, which has a potent 2:1 carb-to-protein ratio, a 2:1:1 BCAA ratio, organic freeze-dried coconut water, l-glutamine, and Creapure.
Another one is TMRFIT SERIES CLEAN Post-Workout, which has a 3:1:1 BCAA ratio, 72 key minerals from Utah’s Great Salt Lake, beta-alanine, l-glutamine, betaine, taurine, and creatine monohydrate. Take this post-workout for what its name says: not only is it clean, but it also covers just about all the bases.
Now, let’s see if EVOGEN Cell K.E.M. can knock it out of the park.The supplement’s full name is EVOGEN Cellular Kinetic Expansion Matrix, The company dubs it its “Elite Mass & Recovery Catalyst,” per the manufacturer’s official website.
According to EVOGEN Nutrition, “It is a precisely-formulated, high-performance nutrition supplement designed to address the key factors that impact muscle growth and recovery following high-intensity training.”
“Muscle growth” and “recovery” are two bodybuilding terms which get customers’ attention. EVOGEN Cell K.E.M.’s hook is great, to say the least.
Hany “The Pro Creator” Rambod is EVOGEN Nutrition’s CEO. He’s a fitness coach whose clients include many Mr. Olympia and Ms. Figure Olympia winners. We’re sure you will taste some of Rambod’s success when you supplement with EVOGEN Cell K.E.M.
The manufacturer correctly points out there may be some dire consequences if one doesn’t take advantage of the crucial post-workout anabolic window.
Although a grueling training session leaves you in a catabolic (muscle breakdown) state once you finish your last rep, you are in a position to grow and rebuild your physique with the proper nutrients.
“Cell K.E.M. delivers the key nutrient-building blocks needed to maximize this adaptive, anabolic response,” per the company’s official website. It sure seems to us that’s music to any bodybuilding enthusiast’s ears.
At the forefront is the Cell K.E.M. Cellular Kinetic Expansion Matrix, which takes up 8.6 grams per 10-gram serving.
The bad news: it’s a shady and deceiving proprietary blend. What’s worse is it has four sub-proprietary blends. This kind of marketing tactic leaves customers in the dark. The manufacturer didn’t exactly make a good first impression on us. Let’s hope Evogen Cell K.E.M.’s other facets pick up the slack.
4:1:1 Growth Acceleration Complex
The first sub-proprietary blend is the 4:1:1 Growth Acceleration Complex. Judging by the name, you can tell right away it refers to the branch-chained amino acid (BCAA) content.
Most post-workouts have BCAAs. They help kickstart muscle protein synthesis, repair muscle tissue, and increase endurance, among other things. They also help you remain in an anabolic state even if you’re not in the gym. That’s why BCAAs are some of the most versatile supplements out there.
The 4:1:1 ratio isn’t bad, either. It’s not the biggest in the industry (MHP Dark Matter has an impressive 10:1:1 BCAA ratio), but it’ll do. Look at the bright side: it easily trumps the usual 2:1:1 ratio of many bodybuilding supplements.
The emphasis is always on leucine – the most anabolic amino acid – because of its ability to trigger protein synthesis. Hard evidence: The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition‘s July 20, 2011 issue (via OUP.com) says, “Leucine-enriched essential amino acid supplementation during moderate steady state exercise enhances post-exercise muscle protein synthesis.”
We would have loved a leucine content of around five per serving or so, but the proprietary blend left us guessing. That’s never a good thing if you’re the customer.
Isoleucine and valine complete the BCAA triumvirate. The former helps maintain a positive nitrogen balance while the latter helps increase muscle mass. Both of these help increase endurance and repair muscle tissue. You can see why they’re an invaluable part of the post-workout equation.
Recovery Augmenting/Anti-Catabolic/Antioxidant Complex
EVOGEN Cell K.E.M’s second sub-proprietary blend is the Recovery Augmenting/Anti-Catabolic/Antioxidant Complex. These “enhance recovery, bolster the immune system, and scavenge cell-damaging metabolic waste products,” per EVOGEN Nutrition’s official website.
It has the following components:
- Glutamine: The most abundant amino acid which helps preserve muscle mass and increase human growth hormone(HGH) levels
- Ascorbic acid: Also known as Vitamin C, this ingredient helps ward off the common cold, increase energy levels, improve blood vessel and cardiovascular function, boost vision, and ward off free radicals.
- L-glutamine alpha ketoglutarate: An amino acid compound which helps boost nitrogen metabolism and increase energy levels
- Resveratrol: A polyphenol which helps improve heart health and reduce oxidative stress
- Pyridoxine: Also known as pyridoxine hydrochloride or Vitamin B6, this ingredient helps break down protein, shorten recovery, and ward off post-exercise fatigue. It also helps regulate homocysteine levels (a non-protein amino acid detrimental to heart health) for improved cardiovascular function.
- Niacinamide: Simply known as Vitamin B3, it helps promote proper nerve function, boost digestion, and regulate blood pressure.
- Riboflavin: Also Vitamin B2, this component helps increase energy, strengthen the immune and digestive system, and improve mineral absorption.
- Thiamine: This ingredient (also known as Vitamin B1) helps increase energy, improve heart health, and boost digestion.
Our take on the Recovery Augmenting/Anti-Catabolic/Anti-Oxidant Complex: you can achieve your post-workout goals and boost your long-term health with it. You cannot go wrong with a whopping 417 percent of the daily value for ascorbic acid and an incredible 368 percent of the daily value for Vitamin B6.
This marks the first time we’ve seen l-glutamine and l-glutamine alpha ketoglutarate bunched up with key vitamins in a post-workout blend. The verdict: it’s unusual yet effective. Your post-workout results and long-term health will soar, for sure.
Osmotic Expansion/ATP-Enhancing Complex
The third sub-proprietary blend is the Osmotic Expansion/ATP-Enhancing Complex.
“Cell K.E.M.’s ultra-soluble formula contains powerful cytoplasmic expansion agents and nutrient drivers including creatine gluconate, l-norvaline, arginine AKG, and resveratrol, designed to hyper-load muscle cells with growth- and recovery-enhancing nutrients,” per EVOGEN Nutrition’s website.
Its citrulline malate and creatine gluconate components help “refuel muscle contraction, to allow athletes to return to the gym, the field, or the training mat quicker,” per the same source.
We like the inclusion of creatine gluconate, a type of creatine which has excellent absorption properties (in contrast, creatine monohydrate has poor solubility).
On the other hand, l-citrulline malate (another post-workout staple ingredient), helps synthesize nitric oxide, which improves blood flow and gives you great muscle pumps.
According to the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research‘s May 2010 issue (via NCBI.NLM.NIH.gov), “The use of CM (citrulline malate) might be useful to increase athletic performance in high-intensity anaerobic exercises with short rest times and to relieve post-exercise muscle soreness.” With that, it’s safe to say citrulline malate is a bona fide supplement superstar.
The good news: you can also find l-citrulline malate in some pre-workout supplements. If you want insane muscle pumps, you should consider this component.
The great thing about EVOGEN Cell K.E.M. is it offers a double dose of nitric oxide because benefits of its arginine alpha-ketoglutarate (AKG) component. Bear in mind the amino acid l-arginine is a precursor of nitric oxide. We’re confident you will enjoy better vasodilation when you take this product.
One ingredient stands out for us: l-norvaline. We haven’t seen a post-w0rkout supplement which has it.
Like we said, l-arginine is a precursor of nitric oxide. Unfortunately, there’s only so much nitric oxide it can produce. That’s because the body also produces an enzyme known as arginase which inhibits this process.
Now, when you consume l-norvaline, it annihilates this nitric oxide ceiling. You know what will happen next: stronger and longer muscle pumps. We’re certainly glad EVOGEN Cell K.E.M. has l-norvaline.
All in all, the Osmotic Expansion/ATP-Enhancing Complex should help increase athletic performance, muscle mass, and muscle pumps. It’s one tremendous combination. It would’ve been better if the manufacturer broke down the individual ingredient amounts, though.
Electrolyte Infusion/Hyper Hydration Complex
The last sub-proprietary blend is the Electrolyte Infusion/Hyper Hydration Complex. As the name implies, it features key electrolytes such as sodium citrate, dipotassium phosphate, and dicalcium phosphate which you need after a hard workout for optimal body function.
These ensure proper hydration and fluid balance. When these happen, expect shorter recovery and improved workout quality.
Let’s check out the formula ingredients:
- Calories, 10: EVOGEN Cell K.E.M. has a measly 10 calories in spite of its many ingredients. This supplement will support your lean-muscle-building goals, for sure.
- Carbohydrates, n/a: The manufacturer didn’t indicate the amount of carbs. We’re presuming it’s a low amount due to the inclusion of sugar substitutes acesulfame potassium and sucralose (also known as Splenda). The latter, in particular, has gotten a bad rap from experts and consumers alike because it may increase obesity.
- Vitamin C (as ascorbic acid), 250 mg: We already mentioned EVOGEN Cell K.E.M. is a tremendous source of Vitamin C at a whopping 417 percent of the daily value (a daily value of at least 15 percent is high). Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant which helps keep free radicals at bay. It also helps increase energy levels, promote healthy blood pressure levels and blood vessel function, improve heart health, and boost vision.
- Vitamin B1 (as thiamine), 1 mg: A vitamin which helps boost cardiovascular health, increase energy, and improve digestion. This product is an incredible source at 99 percent of the daily value.
- Vitamin B2 (as riboflavin), 2 mg: Try supplementing with EVOGEN Cell K.E.M. if you need a solid Vitamin B2 fix – it supplies your body with 99 percent of the daily value for riboflavin, which helps increase energy and strengthen the immune and digestive systems.
- Niacin (as niacinamide), 5 mg: Also known as Vitamin B3, it helps improve nerve function and regulate blood pressure levels. This supplement is a solid source at a respectable 25 percent of the daily value.
- Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine HCl), 7 mg: Vitamin B6 helps delay the onset of post-workout fatigue and shorten recovery time. Trust us, with EVOGEN Cell K.E.M’s astonishing 368 percent of the daily value, you’ll work out longer and harder.
- Calcium (dicalcium phosphate), 52 mg: Unfortunately, EVOGEN Cell K.E.M. is not a significant source of calcium at just five percent of the daily value (a maximum daily value of five percent is low).
- Phosphorus (as dipotassium phosphate, dicalcium phosphate, trimagnesium phosphate), 71 mg: This product is a so-so source of phosphorus at seven percent of the daily value.
- Magnesium (as trimagnesium phosphate), 37 mg: EVOGEN Cell K.E.M. is a so-so source of magnesium at nine percent of the daily value. This mineral helps increase energy levels, improve digestion, and boost cardiovascular health.
- Sodium (as sodium chloride), 150 mg: Far too many supplements go overboard on their sodium levels. Doing so may compromise your blood pressure levels. We’re glad EVOGEN Cell K.E.M. doesn’t do that with its six percent equivalent of the daily value.
- Potassium (as dipotassium phosphate), 90 mg: Clearly, EVOGEN Cell K.E.M. is not a significant source of potassium at a paltry three percent of the daily value.
Cell K.E.M. Cellular Kinetic Expansion Matrix, 8.6 g
4:1:1 Growth Acceleration Complex
- Leucine (as FUSIL fermented & ultasoluble BCAA): The most anabolic amino acid which helps trigger muscle protein synthesis. Contemporary studies reveal leucine may also preserve muscle mass, boost fat loss, and ward off inflammation.
- Isoleucine: The BCAA which helps maintain a positive protein and nitrogen balance for more muscle growth. Isoleucine also helps increase endurance and repair muscle tissue.
- Valine: The BCAA which helps repair muscle tissue, increase endurance and muscle growth, and regulate the immune system.
Recovery Augmenting/Anti-Catabolic/Anti-Oxidant Complex
- Glutamine (from a fermented source): The most abundant amino acid which helps preserve muscle mass, increase muscle cell hydration, and increase human growth hormone (HGH) levels.
- Ascorbic acid: Vitamin C helps ward off free radicals, increase energy levels, regulate blood pressure levels, improve vision, and boost cardiovascular function.
- L-glutamine alpha ketoglutarate: An amino acid compound which helps shorten recovery time and increase performance.
- Resveratrol: A polyphenol which helps improve blood flow and reduce oxidative stress.
- Pyridoxine: Vitamin B6 helps keep homocysteine levels in check and improve heart health.
- Niacinamide: Vitamin B3 helps promote proper nerve function, regulate digestion, and regulate blood sugar and blood pressure levels.
- Riboflavin: Vitamin B2 helps ramp up energy levels, boost the body’s ability to absorb minerals, regulate thyroid function, and strengthen the immune and digestive systems.
- Thiamine: Vitamin B1 above helps increase energy levels and boost cardiovascular function.
Osmotic Expansion/ATP-Enhancing Complex
- Arginine alpha keto-glutarate: An amino acid compound which helps increase nitric oxide levels, boost nutrient levels, and improve athletic performance.
- Creatine gluconate: A soluble form of creatine which helps increase muscle mass, improve athletic performance, and delay the onset of post-exercise fatigue.
- Citrulline malate: A common post-workout ingredient which helps synthesize nitric oxide for better vasodilation and impressive muscle pumps.
- L-norvaline: An amino acid which destroys the nitric oxide ceiling the enzyme known as arginase creates.
Electrolyte Infusion/Hyper Hydration Complex
- Sodium citrate: The sodium salt of citric acid which helps decrease the acidity of urine.
- Dipotassium phosphate: Also known as phosphoric acid, this ingredient helps increase endurance and shorten recovery time.
- Dicalcium phosphate: An ionic salt which combines calcium and phosphorus.
- Trimagnesium phosphate: A calcium salt which doesn’t offer too many huge benefits over regular calcium supplements.
- Sodium chloride: Simply known as salt, this ingredient helps maintain fluid balance and ward off muscle cramping.
The manufacturer says, “Cell K.E.M. contains several key ingredients proven to enhance recovery, bolster the immune system, and scavenge cell-damaging metabolic waste products.”
That claim is spot on. After a thorough analysis, we say EVOGEN Cell K.E.M. is an effective post-workout which has its a unique identity.
Like we said, where can you find a post-workout which combines glutamine, l-glutamine ketoglutarate and key vitamins in one blend? It’s as unique as it gets.
This product is also one of the few which has the nitric-oxide-boosting amino acid, l-norvaline. You rarely find that in other post-workout supplements.
Speaking of nitric oxide, we are confident EVOGEN Cell K.E.M. will supply your body with plenty of it with its l-norvaline, citrulline malate, and arginine alpha keto-glutarate components. You are sure to enjoy increased blood flow, better vasodilation, and efficient nutrient uptake.
Don’t forget about the inclusion of creatine gluconate, a soluble form of creatine which helps increase muscle mass and increase anaerobic and aerobic performance.
Long story short, you will fully utilize your post-workout anabolic window with EVOGEN Cell K.E.M. The impressive array of ingredients speaks for itself.
The 4:1:1 BCAA ratio is also decent, but not the highest in the industry. Put it this way: it easily trumps the common 2:1:1 BCAA ratio of many bodybuilding supplements.
We’re also impressed with the increased amounts of B Vitamins and Vitamin C. Note these two ingredients are common among post-workout ingredients because of their abilities to increase energy and shorten recovery time. You are sure to enjoy these benefits with EVOGEN Cell K.E.M.
On the flip side, we didn’t like the manufacturer’s use of four proprietary blends within one big proprietary blend. It bears repeating: this kind of deceiving marketing tactic leaves customers in the dark.
It’s also unfortunate EVOGEN Cell K.E.M. has two dirty ingredients in sucralose (a.k.a. Splenda) and FD&C Red No. 40.
We already pointed out fitness experts have linked Splenda to several side effects, particularly obesity. Stevia, a natural sweetener which regulates blood pressure levels, would have been the far better option.
We can say the same thing for the artificial sweetener FD&C Red No 40, which has p-Cresidine (a white crystal now known as a human carcinogen).
Lastly, EVOGEN Cell K.E.M. doesn’t come cheap at $49.95 for a 400-gram (0.88-lb.) container. If you want a post-workout supplement which doesn’t put a dent on your wallet, try Angry Supplements C.G. 15 Creatine + Glutamine Powder Unflavored 1500 Mg.
The takeaway: EVOGEN Cell K.E.M. is one unique and versatile post-workout product which should help you achieve your fitness goals. Unfortunately, it has a few glaring chinks which the manufacturer needs to address sooner than later.
EVOGEN Cell K.E.M. Benefits
EVOGEN Cell K.E.M. has the following benefits, per its official website:
- Builds muscle
- Helps promote new cell growth
- Helps reduce oxidative stress as a result of intense exercise
We agree with all of these claims. EVOGEN Cell K.E.M. can help you achieve your post-workout goals and then some.
Who Takes It?
The manufacturer intended EVOGEN Cell K.E.M. for healthy and active individuals who are at least 18 years of age who want to build muscle mass, reduce oxidative stress, shorten recovery time, increase endurance, and achieve their daily fitness goals.
Any Side Effects?
EVOGEN Cell K.E.M. has sucralose (also known as Splenda), an artificial sweetener which fitness experts have linked to obesity and other side effects.
This product also contains an artificial food coloring known as FD&C Red No. 40, which has a white crystal (p-Cresidine) experts have labeled a human carcinogen.
If these, or any other ingredient, makes you feel doubtful, please consult your physician before buying EVOGEN Cell K.E.M.
The manufacturer also issues a warning:
EVOGEN Cell K.E.M. Summary
- Good ingredient combo. BCAAs, glutamine, arginine AKG, creatine gluconate, citrulline malate, and l-norvaline.
- 4:1:1 BCAA ratio. Helps build muscle mass, increase endurance, and repair muscle tissue.
- Boosts nitric oxide levels. Look no further than its vaunted combo of citrulline malate, arginine AKG, and l-norvaline.
- One of the few post-workouts with l-norvaline. Helps ensure increased nitric oxide levels for better vasodilation.
- Impressive source of ascorbic acid. Whopping 417 percent of the daily value.
- Outstanding source of B Vitamins. Its Vitamin B6 component represents an unbelievable 368 percent DV.
- Low in calories and sodium. These bode well for long-term health.
- Good reputation. Customers have given it solid reviews online.
- Flavor options. Available in Fruit Punch, Pineapple-Guava, Raspberry Lemonade, and Tropica Mango varities.
- Proprietary blends. Manufacturer doesn’t break down individual ingredients of four sub-blends.
- Dirty ingredients. Splenda and FD&C Red No. 40.
- Expensive. $49.95 for a 400-gram (0.88-lb.) container.
Pricing & Buying Info
- 1 400-gram (0.88-lb.) Container (40-Day Supply): $49.95
- Available online and in retail
Final Word on EVOGEN Cell K.E.M.
In spite of its imperfections, EVOGEN Cell K.E.M. still lives up to the hype. It’s one post-workout supplement which covers just about all the bases.
The verdict: EVOGEN Cell K.E.M. is a unique post-workout which will help you build muscle mass, produce awesome muscle pumps, and achieve your daily fitness goals.
Too bad it has proprietary blends, dirty ingredients, and an expensive price. We hope the company irons out the kinks as soon as possible.
At the very least, give EVOGEN Cell K.E.M. a try. If it doesn’t meet your expectations, there are heaps of cheaper and cleaner post-workouts available on the market.