If you want a post-workout supplement which will help you not only recover faster, but grow serious muscle mass, try CORE Nutritionals PWO. This review will give the you lowdown on this solid bodybuilding product.
About CORE Nutritionals PWO
CORE Nutritionals PWO is the “Post-Workout Recovery Matrix” which helps you take “the guesswork out of post-workout recovery,” per its official website. Formula notes:
- Has Carb10. A legume-based (pea-based) post-workout carbohydrate.
- Has Velositol. Compound which helps almost double the rate of muscle protein synthesis.
- Excellent source of chromium. A whopping 2,857 percent of the daily value.
CORE Nutritionals PWO Supplement Facts (Chocolate Brownie Batter, 4.26 lbs. [1932 G])
|Serving Size: 2 Scoops (69 g)|
Servings Per Container: 28
|Nutrient||Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value|
|Total Fat||1 g||5%*|
|Total Carbohydrate||36 g||13%*|
|Total Sugars||18 g||**|
|Chromium (as Chromium Histidinate, Chromium Piccolinate)||1 mg||2857%*|
|Free-Form L-Leucine||5 g||**|
|Velositol (Chromium/Amylopectin Complex)||2 g||**|
|INGREDIENTS: Recovery Carb Blend (Dextrose, Legume-Based Starch Derived from Pisum sativum (Peas) as Carb10™, Cluster Dextrin®), Cold-Processed Microfiltered Non-GMO Whey Protein Isolate, Free-Form L-Leucine, Cocoa Powder, Velositol® (Chromium/Amylopectin Complex), Natural and Artificial Flavors, Sucralose.|
|DIRECTIONS: Add 2 scoops to 8-16 ounces of cold water (according to preferred thickness and flavor) and shake or stir until mixed. Consume immediately after training.|
The Post-Workout Recovery Matrix
We have stumbled upon some impressive bodybuilding post-workout supplements which put a premium on carbs and protein for optimum recovery.
The UK’s MyProtein Hurricane XS first comes to mind – it has a clean and effective formula featuring 22 grams of carbs and 30 grams of protein per serving.
Another UK post-workout, Bulk Powders AFTERMATH, is no slouch, either. It has 21.7 grams of carbs and a solid 40 grams of protein per serving. You can’t go wrong with either supplement.
Now, another potent post-workout product enters the fray: CORE Nutritionals PWO. The manufacturer dubs it its “Post-Workout Recovery Matrix,“ per its official website.
We like CORE Nutritionals’ emphasis on the crucial post-workout anabolic window. “Incomplete or insufficient PWO (post-workout) nutrition is like fueling your new Maserati with regular unleaded – you simply don’t do it,” per the company’s website.
Interesting comparison. We agree wholeheartedly. Failure to take advantage of the post-workout window is tantamount to a recovery nightmare. As the National Strength and Conditioning Association’s Dr. Dylan Klein puts it,”As long as adequate protein is consumed relatively shortly following training and daily macronutrient values are met, there is no reason to think that delaying a post-workout meal will have any measurable negative effects on skeletal muscle protein synthesis and increasing muscle mass.”
In Klein’s assessment, protein is king following a hard training session at the gym. CORE Nutritionals PWO’s 24 grams of protein per scoop should be more than up to the task.
CORE Nutritionals enumerates the different muscle-building functions of post-workout nutrition on its website:
- Replenishment of depleted muscle glycogen stores
- Boost protein synthesis
- Reduce protein breakdown and “release of catabolic (tissue-destroying) hormones
We get the feeling CORE Nutritionals PWO’s carb and protein content will be able to help you achieve these goals. These are the two most important macronutrients after a rigorous training session. This product’s nutritional profile fits the bill perfectly.
Just like MyProtein Hurricane XS and Bulk Powders AFTERMATH, CORE Nutritionals PWO focuses on carbs and protein for the best post-workout outcome.
“High-quality, fast-acting carbohydrates and protein have been shown time and again to induce the most optimal conditions for growth in clinical studies,” per the manufacturer’s official website.
The American Council on Exercise’s official website supports this claim. It says, “Your ideal post-workout meal should have a combination of fast-digesting carbohydrates (e.g. glucose, dextrose) and fast-digesting protein (e.g., whey isolate) to deliver nutrients quickly into muscle cells.”
It would be interesting to see if CORE Nutritionals PWO can exceed lofty expectations.
Recovery Carb Blend, 36 grams
Leading the charge are 36 grams of CORE Nutritionals PWO’s Recovery Carb Blend per serving. The company maintains this much is meant to replace lost glycogen after a hard workout. Insufficient glycogen levels can lead to muscle breakdown.
True. You need to refuel your glycogen stores to help recovery and prepare yourself for your next workout.
CORE Nutritionals PWO focuses on fast-digesting carbs to “create optimal conditions for the post-workout synthesis of both skeletal muscle protein and muscle glycogen,” per the company’s website.
Plus, these carbs “also have been shown to optimize insulin response and blunt cortisol release to a greater degree than other carbohydrate sources,” per the same source.
We like it. More insulin and less cortisol (the dreaded stress hormone) results in a more anabolic environment. That’s what you want after a grueling workout.
Dextrose, Carb10, and Cluster Dextrin comprise CORE Nutritionals PWO’s Recovery Carb Blend. Our first impression: it’s as effective as it is unique. We have yet to see a carb combo like this among post-workouts.
Dextrose (also known as glucose) is a fast-absorbing monosaccharide (simple sugar) and a by-product of corn, wheat, or rice. It has a high glycemic index (GI) rating. Dextrose does more than just replenish your depleted glycogen stores. Fitness experts have determined dextrose helps increase performance, improve hydration efficiency, and boost creatine absorption.
Just imagine the results you’ll get with CORE Nutritionals PWO if you take a separate creatine supplement. You will build serious muscle mass, for sure.
For its part, Carb10 is a by-product of peas and “functions in PWO to round out the insulin response,” per its official website.
Plus, “it delivers nutrients quickly, while still being low glycemic and reducing bloat” due to its low osmolality features, per the same source. CORE Nutritionals also maintains Carb10 doesn’t trigger a massive blood sugar and insulin response.
In addition, Carb10 also acts as a prebiotic (an ingredient which promotes the growth of good bacteria for improved digestion). Better digestion translates to better nutrient uptake. This, in turn, results in more muscle mass and faster recovery.
It turns out Carb10 is a great way to get your post-workout carbs in. We have yet to see another post-workout product which has this. We’re glad it’s in CORE Nutritionals PWO.
The final part of the Recovery Carb Blend triumvirate is Cluster Dextrin. This corn by-product also has low osmolality, meaning it makes a quick transit through the intestines without giving you that bloated feeling. As a result, you will experience increased endurance, per the manufacturer.
Contemporary studies seem to approve of cluster dextrin as a post-workout ingredient. According to the Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness‘ October 2014 issue (via NCBI.NLM.NIH.gov), An “HBCD (highly-branched cyclic dextrin) drink may attenuate the stress hormone response, and reduce the urinary cytokine levels following exhaustive exercise.”
The dreaded stress hormone cortisol may compromise your post-workout gains. Consuming a post-workout shake with cyclic dextrin should help you ward this off.
The impressive feature of the Recovery Carb Blend components is their ability to act synergistically. Once dextrose replenishes depleted glycogen stores and stimulates insulin levels, Carb10 and Cluster Dextrin balance the latter action, per CORE Nutritionals’ official website. Above all, no bloated feeling whatsoever.
We were impressed with CORE Nutritionals PWO’s Recovery Carb Blend. You won’t only replenish depleted glycogen stores, but you’ll also shorten your recovery time, for sure.
Whey Protein Isolate, 24 grams
Next up are 24 grams of cold-processed microfiltered non-GMO whey protein isolate (WPI) per serving.
Once again, the manufacturer emphasizes the importance of the crucial post-workout window. After a hard training session, “your body is in a state of negative protein balance – i.e., catabolism,” per the manufacturer. Enter whey protein isolate.
Also known as WPI, this ingredient is approximately 90 to 95 percent protein (compared to whey protein concentrate [WPC], which is only 70 to 85 percent protein).
WPI undergoes a special microfiltration process to reduce the excess fats and carbs. It has a faster absorption rate than WPC. In addition, WPI is the better protein alternative for individuals who are lactose intolerant.
CORE Nutritionals PWO’s 24 grams of cold-processed, microfiltered WPI per serving should help feed your muscles in rapid-fire fashion. Whey protein is a tremendous source of branch-chained amino acids (BCAAs). These assist in protein synthesis, muscle tissue repair, and endurance.
The good news: CORE Nutritionals PWO has five grams of free-form leucine per serving. We like it. This much will help you build muscle mass. Bear in mind leucine – the most anabolic amino acid – helps kickstart protein synthesis.
Unknown to many, leucine isn’t just about growing muscle. Numerous studies suggest leucine also helps preserve muscle mass and torch fat. It does the latter by signaling the release of a special appetite-suppressing hormone from the hypothalamus. Leucine can be an asset to your weight-loss aspirations as well.
Plus, leucine helps preserve muscle mass. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition’s July 20, 2011 issue says a protein supplement with higher leucine content helps keep muscle loss at bay. We couldn’t agree more.
Finally, CORE Nutritionals PWO has an ingredient we’ve never seen in a post-workout product: Velositol.
According to the manufacturer’s official website, it is a “patented complex of amylopectin/chromium” and “is effective in significantly enhancing skeletal muscle protein synthesis when combined with whey protein (vs. whey alone).”
Long story short, Velositol helps enhance the muscle-building benefits of whey protein. In fact, the manufacturer cites a study which revealed muscle protein synthesis “had nearly doubled” among the test subjects who consumed whey protein and Velositol. That could be you. Think about it. We are stoked CORE Nutritionals PWO has Velositol.
The takeaway: CORE Nutritionals PWO’s top-notch carb and protein content should help you conquer your post-workout plateaus over the long haul. It’s an impressive post-workout which deserves a spot in your supplement stack.
Let’s check out the formula ingredients:
- Calories, 249: Most post-workout supplements without protein and carbs usually have between zero and 150 calories per serving. For those such as CORE Nutritionals PWO, anything more than 200 per serving is common. We’re sure its 249 calories per serving won’t compromise your fitness goals. In fact, they will complement them, depending on how you eat and train.
- Total fat, 1 g: This supplement is not a significant source of fats at just five percent of the daily value (a maximum daily value of five percent is low).
- Cholesterol, 12 mg: So many bodybuilding supplements – not just post-workouts – go overboard on their cholesterol content (the American Heart Association advises the public to take the necessary precautions against high cholesterol levels). We’re stoked CORE Nutritionals PWO keeps its cholesterol in check at just four percent of the daily value.
- Total carbohydrate, 36 g: Even though CORE Nutritionals PWO’s Recovery Carb Blend takes up 36 grams per 69-gram serving, the carbohydrate content isn’t off the charts at 13 percent of the daily value ( daily value of at least 15 percent is high). As a matter of fact, it’s only borderline high. However, the sugar content (18 grams per serving) raised our eyebrows. We also question the inclusion of sucralose (a.k.a. Splenda), as fitness experts have linked this artificial sweetener to certain side effects.
- Protein, 24 g: This post-workout’s protein content ranks right up there with the ranks of big-name protein supplements such as Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey (even though you need two scoops to reach the 24-gram serving of the former). This much will help you ease into an anabolic state after your last rep. You can’t go wrong with a solid 48 percent of the daily value for protein.
- Calcium, 80 mg: There isn’t much calcium in CORE Nutritionals PWO at just six percent of the daily value. If you want more calcium, try using milk as your base liquid.
- Chromium (as Chromium Histidinate/Chromium Picolinate), 1 mg: We hail CORE Nutritionals PWO as the undisputed king of post-workout supplements in terms of chromium content – a whopping 2,857 percent of the daily value. Look no further than its Velositol component as the main source. This mineral helps complement insulin activity and maintain normal metabolism. Fitness experts believe you need only a small amount of chromium (for the average adult, a minimum amount of 25 to 35 micrograms daily will suffice). With this supplement, you may be getting too much. Consult your physician if this concerns you.
- Sodium, 67 mg: CORE Nutritionals PWO is the kind of post-workout which won’t compromise your blood pressure levels because of its low salt content (just three percent of the daily value). Even those who are monitoring their sodium intake can consume this product.
- Potassium, 184 mg: This product is not a significant source of potassium at just four percent of the daily value.
- Free-form L-leucine, 5 g: It bears repeating: this much leucine per serving will help boost muscle protein synthesis. It’s right on the industry average for post-workout supplements. Expect muscle growth in conjunction with sound nutrition, regular training, and enough sleep.
- Velositol (Chromium/Amylopectin Complex), 2 g: Any time a post-workout supplement has an ingredient which helps boost the effectiveness of its whey protein content, you grab it. CORE Nutritionals happens to be one of the rare post-workouts which has Velositol. It’s a rare find, to say the least.
The verdict is out: CORE Nutritionals PWO is one legit Post-Workout Recovery Matrix. You can tell right off the bat this is a quality post-workout supplement just by looking at the ingredients.
Where can you find a post-workout which has a legume-based (pea-based) carb known as Carb10? On that note, is there another post-workout which harnesses the power of Velositol?
Clearly, those are CORE Nutritionals PWO’s main strengths and selling points – they help make it stand out from the rest of the crowded post-workout market. Indeed, this post-workout takes the high road.
CORE Nutritionals PWO’s Recovery Carb Blend (dextrose, Carb10, and Cluster Dextrin) is an impressive blend. We’re confident it will help replenish glycogen stores, increase energy, and shorten recovery time without the dreaded bloated feeling.
On the other hand, no one can dispute the fact 24 grams of cold-filtered, microfiltered non-GMO whey protein isolate (WPI) will help build and replenish your worn-out muscles after training. Throw in Velositol’s whey-protein-enhancing benefits, your should build muscle mass like never before. We’re confident this ingredient will help you reap the benefits of whey protein tenfold.
If test subjects nearly doubled their muscle protein synthesis when they consumed a combo of whey and Velositol, we’re sure you will also enjoy the same benefit.
Add a solid five grams of free-form leucine (the most anabolic amino acid) per serving into the mix, and you’ve got a winning muscle-building recipe. CORE Nutritionals PWO is one anabolic post-workout supplement.
Other pluses: CORE Nutritionals PWO is low in fats, cholesterol, and sodium. These bode well for your long-term health.
Get this: this product has the highest amount of chromium we’ve ever seen in a post-workout at an astonishing 2,857 percent of the daily value.
As a precautionary measure, you may be getting too much chromium from CORE Nutritionals PWO (fitness experts believe females need 25 micrograms daily while men need 35 micrograms daily). It’s always best to consult your doctor before making a purchase.
We also give the manufacturer high marks for its transparency – it reveals all of the ingredient amounts. No shady proprietary blends, either. That gets a huge thumbs-up from us.
Customers have also given CORE Nutritionals PWO high marks online. They swear by it. They also say it’s one of the best-tasting post-workout supplements they’ve ever tried. We couldn’t agree more.
On the flip side, we don’t like the inclusion of sucralose (a.k.a. Splenda), an artificial sweetener which has certain side effects. Stevia, a natural plant-based sweetener which helps regulate blood pressure, would have been the better option.
CORE Nutritionals PWO Benefits
CORE Nutritionals PWO has the following benfits, per its official website:
- Fast-acting Recovery Carb Blend
- Twenty-four grams of protein per serving
- Has free-form leucine and Velositol to maximize muscle recovery
- Increased protein synthesis
- Great taste
We agree with all of these claims. CORE Nutritionals PWO is one solid post-workout supplement can help you achieve your post-workout goals and then some.
Who Takes It?
The manufacturer intended CORE Nutritionals PWO for healthy and active individuals who are at least 18 years of age who want to build muscle mass, shorten recovery time, increase endurance, and achieve their daily fitness goals.
Any Side Effects?
While CORE Nutritionals PWO is an excellent source of chromium (2,857 percent of the daily value), you only need a small amount of this mineral.
In addition, this product has sucralose (a.k.a. Splenda), an artificial sweetener which fitness experts have linked to several side effects.
If these, or any other ingredient makes you feel doubtful, please consult your physician before buying CORE Nutritionals PWO.
The manufacturer also issues a warning:
CORE Nutritionals PWO Review Summary
- Great ingredient combo. Dextrose, Carb10, Cluster Dextrin, WPI, free-form leucine, and Velositol.
- Recovery Carb Blend. Helps replenish depleted glycogen stores fast without the bloated feeling.
- Twenty-four grams of protein per serving. Courtesy of cold-processed, microfiltered, and non-GMO WPI content.
- Five grams of leucine per serving. The most anabolic amino acid.
- Has Velositol. Rare post-workout ingredient which helps harness the power of whey protein.
- Excellent source of chromium. King of chromium among post-workouts. Could be a double-edged sword, however.
- Low in fats, cholesterol, and sodium. These bode well for long-term health.
- Great transparency. No shady proprietary blends. Huge thumbs-up.
- Awesome reputation. Customers have sung this post-workout’s praises.
- Flavor options. Comes in delicious Chocolate, Chocolate Brownie, Peanut Butter Toffee, and Vanilla Cake varieties.
- Dirty ingredient. Has sucralose (a.k.a. Splenda), an artificial sweetener which has links to obesity.
Pricing & Buying Info
- 1 4.26-lb. (1,932-gram) Container (28-Day Supply): $64.99
- Available online and in retail
Final Word on CORE Nutritionals PWO
Like we said, this so-called “Post-Workout Recovery Matrix” is legit: you get a great Recovery Carb Blend, 24 grams of WPI per serving, five grams of free-form leucine per serving, and a great bonus in Velositol. Bottom line: this product will help you build muscle and recover faster. It’s also easy on your taste buds.
With its sucralose inclusion as its lone chink, CORE Nutritionals PWO is one solid post-workout supplement – it will help you conquer that crucial post-workout anabolic window. We highly recommend you buy it and reap its benefits today.