Quick, what’s a good multivitamin option for today’s active woman?
For supplement junkies, the first product which comes to mind is Optimum Nutrition Opti-Women.
Just like its male counterpart (Optimum Nutrition Opti-Men), this multivitamin has earned an excellent reputation among customers.
We’re eager to find out why.
Buckle up for another exciting review, folks.
About Optimum Nutrition Opti-Women
Optimum Nutrition Opti-Women “combines 23 vitamins and essential minerals with 17 specialty ingredients to create a comprehensive multivitamin for the active woman,” per its official website. Formula notes:
- Comprehensive formula. Covers most of the needs of today’s active woman.
- Contains 17 specialty ingredients. Has benefits which no other multivitamin has.
- Good reputation. Customers have given this product high marks online.
Optimum Nutrition Opti-Women Supplement Facts (60 Capsules)
|Serving Size: 2 Capsules
Servings Per Container: 30
|Nutrient||Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value|
|Vitamin A (as Beta Carotene, Vitamin A Palmitate)||5,000 IU||100%|
|Vitamin C (as Ascorbic Acid)||250 mg||417%|
|Vitamin D (as Cholecalciferol)||600 IU||150%|
|Vitamin E (as D-Alpha Tocopheryl Succinate)||100 IU||333%|
|Vitamin K (as Phytonadione)||80 mcg||100%|
|Thiamin (as Thiamin Hydrochloride)||20 mg||1,333%|
|Niacin (as Niacinamide)||20 mg||100%|
|Vitamin B6 (as Pyridoxine Hydrochloride)||20 mg||1,000%|
|Folic Acid||600 mcg||150%|
|Vitamin B12 (as Cyanocobalamin)||100 mcg||1,667%|
|Pantothenic Acid (as D-Calcium Pantothenate)||20 mg||200%|
|Calcium (as Calcium Carbonate, Citrate)||150 mg||15%|
|Iron (as Iron A.A. Chelate)||18 mg||100%|
|Iodine (as Kelp)||200 mcg||133%|
|Magnesium (as Magnesium Oxide, Aspartate)||75 mg||19%|
|Zinc (as Zinc Citrate)||15 mg||100%|
|Selenium (as Selenomethionine)||70 mcg||100%|
|Copper (as Copper Gluconate)||2 mg||100%|
|Manganese (as Manganese Gluconate)||5 mg||250%|
|Chromium (as Chromium GTF)||120 mcg||100%|
|Molybdenum (as Molybdenum A.A. Chelate)||70 mcg||93%|
|Dong Quai (Angelica Sinensis) 4:1 Root Extract||80 mg||†|
|Chasteberry (Vitex Agnus-Castus) 4:1 Berry Extract||50 mg||†|
|Garcinia Extract (Garcinia Cambogia)(Rind)(Standardized to 52% HCA)||50 mg||†|
|Uva Ursi, Powdered (Leaf)||50 mg||†|
|Horse Chestnut Extract (Aesculus Hippocastanum)(Root)(Standardized to 20% Aescin)||25 mg||†|
|Alpha-Lipoic Acid||20 mg||†|
|Butcher’s Broom, Powdered (Root)||15 mg||†|
|Ostivone® (as Isopropoxy Isoflavone)||10 mg||†|
|Grape Seed Extract (Vitis Vinifera)(Seed)(Standardized To 95% Polyphenols)||10 mg||†|
|Deodorized Garlic, Powdered (Bulb)||10 mg||†|
|Citrus Bioflavonoids (Fruit)||10 mg||†|
|Soy Isoflavones||2 mg||†|
|Lycopene (as LYC-O-MATO® Natural Tomato Lycopene)||250 mcg||†|
|Alpha Carotene||93.5 mcg||†|
|Other Ingredients: Hypromellose, Magnesium Stearate, Calcium Phosphate, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Silica.|
|Directions For Opti-Women: As a dietary supplement for women, consume 2 capsules daily with food.|
The Women’s Multivitamin
Bodybuilding supplements and multivitamins are great ways to achieve your fitness goals and fill those nutrition gaps.
Make no mistake about it.
If you’re a health-conscious male, we suggest you try Optimum Nutrition Opti-Men. It’s one of the most comprehensive male multivitamins on the market.
If more than 75 vitamins and minerals combined with anabolic and virility ingredients don’t turn heads, nothing will.
Hey, let’s not forget about the ladies, shall we?
Make way for Optimum Nutrition Opti-Women – the so-called “Women’s Multivitamin,” per the manufacturer’s official website.
This product “combines 23 vitamins and essential minerals with 17 specialty ingredients to create a comprehensive multivitamin for the active woman,” per the same source.
Awesome. The more comprehensive a multivitamin is, the better.
The first thing we look for in a multivitamin is a label which says “ISO-Certified” or “All-Natural.”
If the supplement has neither of those labels, we’re hoping we can find one which says it complies with cGMP (“Current Good Manufacturing Practice”) standards (such as the one on JYM Vita JYM).
These are your assurances the multivitamin has natural ingredients.
Unfortunately, we didn’t find any of these labels on Optimum Nutrition Opti-Women.
That could be a potential red flag for synthetic ingredients, folks. Watch out.
When we scanned this multivitamin’s ingredients list, the main components didn’t come as a shock to us.
Many such products place a premium on Vitamin C and the B Vitamins because they are arguably the most necessary for many bodily functions.
Optimum Nutri-Women’s main nutrient is a whopping 1,667 percent of the daily value (20 milligrams per serving) for Vitamin B12 (cyanocobalamin).
To put things in perspective, anything more than 15 percent of the daily value is high.
Check out some crucial Vitamin B12 benefits, folks:
- Helps ramp up energy levels
- Boosts memory
- Regulates the nervous system
- Improves heart, skin, nail, and heart health
We’re confident these will serve the modern active woman well.
Some of the other B Vitamins of Optimum Nutrition Opti-Women aren’t far behind in terms of potency (with the exceptions of Vitamin B5 and Vitamin B9):
- Thiamin (Vitamin B1): 20 milligrams per serving (1,333 percent of the daily value)
- Riboflavin (Vitamin B2): 20 milligrams per serving (1,176 percent of the daily value)
- Pyridoxine hydrochloride (Vitamin B6): 20 milligrams per serving (1,000 percent of the daily value)
The takeaway: These supercharged B Vitamin levels will help the active woman increase her energy levels, boost heart health, and keep free radicals at bay.
Granted, although these are not as potent as the B Vitamin formula of the aforementioned JYM Vita JYM (which has an insane 100 milligrams per B Vitamin), we’re confident they’ll get the job done.
When you take a look at their daily values, you know what we’re talking about.
As for Vitamin C (ascorbic acid), Optimum Nutrition Opti-Women has an impressive 250 milligrams per serving (417 percent of the daily value).
Vitamin C also has an awesome array of benefits:
- Regulates blood pressure and blood sugar levels
- Wards off free radicals
- Boosts heart health
- Stops the common cold dead in its tracks
- Keeps cataracts at bay
Is there any active woman wouldn’t want these?
We doubt it.
We also found the usual components such as Vitamin D, Vitamin E, calcium, magnesium, zinc, and selenium.
Don’t get us wrong, we’re thrilled they’re part of Optimum Nutrition Opti-Women because of what they can do for the long-term health of the ladies.
However, far too many multivitamins already have them.
On the opposite end of the spectrum, Optimum Nutrition Opti-Women has some of the ingredients which some competitors miss out on:
- Vitamin K, 80 mcg (100 percent of the daily value): A vitamin which helps strengthen bones, improve cardiovascular health, regulate enzyme function and blood clotting, and keep free radicals at bay.
- Iodine (as kelp), 200 mcg (133 percent of the daily value): Helps boost thyroid function and impede bacterial growth.
- Chromium, 120 mcg (100 percent of the daily value): Helps regulate insulin function for lean muscle growth and fat loss.
- Copper (as copper gluconate), 2 mg (100 percent of the daily value): Helps ramp up energy and human growth hormone (HGH) levels and improve bone, nerve, and cardiovascular health.
Again, you see a plethora of benefits for the active woman. We’re glad the folks at Optimum Nutrition included these underrated and lesser-known ingredients.
Now, let’s take a sneak peek at some of the 17 specialty ingredients geared toward optimal health for active ladies.
The first one which caught our eye is dong quai, which some health experts dub the “female ginseng.” Optimum Nutrition Opti-Women has 80 milligrams per serving.
Perhaps its most impressive benefit for women is its ability to regulate estrogen levels.
This ingredient also helps ease menstural discomfort because of its impressive antispasmodic properties.
We’re sure these are enough to raise the ladies’ eyebrows.
Dong quai helps detoxify the body, improve circulation, and regulate blood pressure levels.
Finally, it also acts as an aphrodisiac.
Dong quai is one awesome inclusion in Optimum Nutrition Opti-Women, that’s for sure.
Another key specialty ingredient is 50 milligrams of chasteberry per serving.
Also known as vitex, this fruit helps active women in several ways:
- Helps reduce PMS symptoms
- Lowers uterine fibroid levels
- Boosts fertility
- Balances estrogen and progesterone levels
- Lowers menopause symptoms
Wow. It’s clear this ingredient packs a wallop. Not too many multivitamins have this one. Ladies, better grab the opportunity.
This product also has 50 milligrams of garcinia extract (Garcinia cambogia) per serving.
This ingredient (a Southeast Asian fruit) is a popular thermogenic and found in many fat burners.
Garcinia extract has an active ingredient known as hydroxycitric acid (HCA). Many health experts believe this is the one behind this fruit’s potent thermogenic effects.
Unfortunately, these experts have also linked Garcinia cambogia to certain side effects (liver and digestive issues, fatigue, nausea, etc.).
We believe we just stumbled upon Optimum Nutrition Opti-Women’s second red flag.
Another unfamiliar multivitamin ingredient is 50 milligrams of uva ursi per serving.
This is an herb which helps boost urinary tract, kidney, and liver health. It also aids in weight loss and muscle relaxation.
For its part, the key ingredient horse chestnut extract (25 milligrams per serving) caught our attention.
It helps improve vein health, ward off inflammation, enhance fertility, boost circulation, and stop free radicals dead in their tracks.
Once again, Optimum Nutrition Opti-Women successfully nailed important benefits for the active woman.
We think its other key ingredients are just as impressive.
All in all, this multivitamin is the real deal for the ladies.
Let’s check out the formula ingredients:
- Vitamin A (as beta carotene, Vitamin A palmitate), 5,000 IU: A vitamin which helps shore up eye and bone health. Little-known fact about beta carotene: it also assists in the muscle growth process.
- Vitamin C (as ascorbic acid), 250 mg: An antioxidant which helps stop free radicals dead in their tracks, ward off the common cold, and produce collagen (the protein found in connective tissue).
- Vitamin D (as cholecalciferol), 600 IU: If you have insufficient Vitamin D levels due to lack of sunlight exposure, Optimum Nutrition Opti-Women’s 150 percent of the daily value should go a long way in shoring up your heart health.
- Vitamin E (as D-alpha tocopheryl succinate), 100 IU: A vitamin which helps ward off free radicals, boost metabolism, and improve cardiovascular health.
- Vitamin K (as phytonadione), 80 mcg: Helps keep blood clotting issues at bay, strengthen bones, and boost heart health.
- Thiamin (as thiamin hydrochloride), 20 mg: Also known as Vitamin B1, this is the second-biggest ingredient of Optimum Nutrition Opti-Women. Its 1,333 percent of the daily value makes improved heart health and increased energy levels a sure thing, ladies.
- Riboflavin, 20 mg: This multivitamin’s mega dose of Vitamin B2 (1,176 percent of the daily value) ought to help regulate your immune and digestive systems. Plus, its thyroid health benefits go hand in hand with this product’s iodine component. All good.
- Niacin (as niacinamide), 20 mg: More popularly known as Vitamin B3, this ingredient helps improve cardiovascular health and joint mobility. Warning: this vitamin may result in “niacin flushing” (tingling sensation in the face and chest) in some individuals.
- Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine hydrochloride) 20 mg: A vitamin known for its abilities to improve cardiovascular health regulate sleep cycles.
- Folic acid, 600 mcg: Also known as Vitamin B9, this ingredient helps ward off birth defects in pregnant women (please consult your doctor before purchasing this product if you’re an expectant mother). It also helps regulate blood pressure levels.
- Vitamin B12 (as cyanocobalamin), 100 mcg: Meet Optimum Nutrition Opti-Women’s biggest ingredient at an insane 1,667 percent of the daily value. Better heart health and increased energy levels are no longer a pipe dream.
- Biotin, 250 mcg: The ladies will love this ingredient (also known as Vitamin B7) because of its ability to regulate skin, nail, and hair health. Plus, it also helps ward off inflammation.
- Pantothenic acid (as D-calcium pantothenate), 20 mg: Also known as Vitamin B5, this ingredient helps increase one’s stamina and boost the immune system.
- Calcium (as calcium carbonate, citrate), 150 mg: A popular mineral which helps regulate blood pressure levels and improve bone and dental health.
- Iron (as iron A.A. chelate), 18 mg: A mineral which plays a key role in delivering oxygen to the muscles for peak exercise performance. Perfect for the active woman.
- Iodine (as kelp), 20 mcg: Helps boost thyroid function and ward off bacterial growth. We think this is a perfect complement to Optimum Nutrition Opti-Women’s riboflavin (Vitamin B2) component.
- Magnesium (as magnesium oxide, aspartate), 75 mg: Primarily known for its cardiovascular health benefits, magnesium also helps boost hydration, increase energy levels, improve flexibility, strengthen bones, and improve sleep quality.
- Zinc (as zinc citrate), 15 mg: A mineral which helps boost weight loss, regulate blood sugar levels, and keep free radicals at bay.
- Selenium (as selenomethionine), 70 mcg: A trace mineral which is also instrumental in optimal thyroid function. Together with Vitamin B2 and iodine, this mineral forms a potent triumvirate for your thyroid.
- Copper (as copper gluconate), 2 mg: A mineral which helps ramp up energy and human growth hormone (HGH) levels.
- Manganese (as manganese gluconate), 5 mg: A mineral which helps form connective tissue for shorter exercise recovery time.
- Chromium (as chromium GTF), 120 mcg: A mineral which helps regulate insulin activity for increased muscle tone and fat loss.
- Molybdenum (as molybdenum A.A. chelate), 70 mcg: Helps increase energy levels and process waste products in the kidneys.
- Dong quai (Angelica sinensis) 4:1 root extract, 80 mg: Also known as the “female ginseng,” this well-rounded ingredient which helps regulate estrogen levels, ease menstrual discomfort, detoxify the body, regulate blood pressure levels, and act as an aphrodisiac.
- Chasteberry (Vitex agnus-castus)4:1 berry extract, 50 mg: a plant which helps lower PMS symptoms, regulate uterine fibroid levels, boost fertility, balance estrogen and progesterone levels, and lower menopause symptoms.
- Garcinia extract (Garcinia cambogia) (rind)(standardized to 52 percent HCA), 50 mg: A Southeast Asian fruit known for its thermogenic effects. It is also found in many fat burner supplements. However, many questions arise regarding its potency.
- Uva ursi, powdered (leaf), 50 mg: An herb which helps improve urinary tract, kidney, and liver health.
- Horse chestnut extract (Aesculus hippocastanum)(root)(standardized to 20 percent aescin), 25 mg: An ingredient which helps regulate vein health, keep inflammation at bay, enhance fertility, and improve circulation.
- Alpha-lipoic acid, 20 mg: A potent antioxidant which helps enhance the benefits of Vitamins C and E. It also helps improve skin health.
- Butcher’s broom, powdered (root), 15 mg: An herb which acts as a remedy for varicose veins and hemorrhoids.
- Ostivone (as isopropoxy isoflavone), 10 mg: A bioflavonoid which helps enhance calcium absorption and boost bone health.
- Grape seed extract (Vitis vinifera)(seed)(standardized t0 95 percent polyphenols), 10 mg: An ingredient which helps regulate blood pressure and blood sugar levels, improve cardiovascular health, and strengthen bones.
- Deodorized garlic, powdered (bulb), 10 mg: Garlic is best known for its antioxidant and cardiovascular health benefits.
- Citrus bioflavonoids (fruit), 10 mg: These act as potent antioxidants which also stymie viral activity and inflammation.
- Soy isoflavones, 2 mg: These are organic compounds which also act as antioxidants. They also help balance hormone levels and regulate blood cholesterol and blood pressure levels.
- Lycopene (as LYC-O-MATO Natural Tomato Lycopene), 250 mcg: A natural compound found in tomatoes which help boost heart health, ward off free radicals, and improve ocular (eye) health.
- Lutein, 250 mcg: A popular vision support supplement ingredient which helps negate the effects of poor nutrition and sunlight overexposure on the eyes.
- Alpha carotene, 93.5 mcg: An ingredient which is a precursor to Vitamin A. It helps improve eye health and shore up your body’s antioxidant defense.
- Cryptoxanthin, 22.8 mcg: A carotenoid responsible for the colors of many fruits and vegetables. It’s also another potent antioxidant and precursor to Vitamin A.
- Zeaxanthin, 18.7 mcg: A component of the macula (the part of the retina which is responsible for our center of vision) which helps protect the eyes from direct sun exposure.
At the beginning of our review, we pointed out Optimum Nutrition Opti-Women is the manufacturer’s “Women’s Multivitamin.”
Well, it turns out it’s more – much more – than that.
In fact, we feel it’s the ultimate multivitamin for active women on the market today.
Besides, many women have spoken – they have sung Optimum Nutrition Opti-Women’s praises in online reviews. They swear by it.
It looks like we’re on the same page, folks.
You start with the mega doses of B Vitamins, you know it’s a sign of good things to come.
Like we said, Optimum Nutrition Opti-Women has many of the usual vitamins and minerals you find in similar supplements.
The inclusions of Vitamin K, iodine, chromium, and copper help make it unique.
However, the main distinctive feature of Optimum Nutrition Opti-Women is its 17 specialty ingredients.
No ifs and buts about it.
Here’s the thing: they make this product the unique women’s multivitamin formula it is. Without them, it has no clear identity.
We dare you to find a multivitamin which has dong quai, chasteberry, Garcinia cambogia, uva ursi, and horse chestnut extract.
Just so you know, here are some of their combined benefits:
- Less menstrual discomfort
- Balanced estrogen levels
- Improved fertility
- Better varicose vein health
Bottom line: they’re unique to the modern and active woman. What more can the ladies ask for?
Throw in some alpha-lipoic acid, butcher’s broom, Ostivone, deodorized garlic, citrus bioflavonoids, lycopene, lutein, and zeaxanthin, you’ve got one healthy, well-rounded lady.
We love the manufacturer’s transparency. Unlike its male counterpart, Optimum Nutrition Opti-Men, this supplement has no proprietary blends.
Just makes us wonder why the folks at Optimum Nutrition are more transparent to the women?
Think about it.
Too bad Optimum Nutrition Opti-Women is not a perfect product.
For one, it doesn’t have the “ISO-Certified” or “All-Natural Label” we were looking for.
Like we said, it could be a sign the multivitamin has synthetic ingredients. We certainly hope not.
Another red flag is the inclusion of Garcinia cambogia, a controversial fruit and thermogenic. Many health experts say they’re not convinced of its fat-burning prowess.
As far as drawbacks are concerned, that’s just about it.
All in all, Optimum Nutrition Opti-Women is the multivitamin for the active woman.
We say that with conviction, folks.
Optimum Nutrition Opti-Women Benefits
Optimum Nutrition Opti-Women has the following benefits, per its official website:
- Gender-specific multivitamin
- Contains 23 vitamins and minerals
- One hundred fifty percent of the daily value for folic acid
- Eighteen milligrams of iron per serving
- Has 17 specialty ingredients
- Manufactured with Vegetarian Society-approved vegetable capsules
We agree with all of these claims. Optimum Nutrition Opti-Women is a serious contender as the go-to multivitamin for the modern active woman.
Who Takes It?
Optimum Nutrition Opti-Women is intended for healthy and active women who are at least 18 years of age who want to increase energy levels, fill nutrition gaps, improve their overall health, and achieve their daily fitness goals.
Any Side Effects?
Optimum Nutrition Opti-Women has 100 percent of the daily value for Vitamin B3 or niacin, an ingredient which may cause an itching or tingling sensation in the face and chest areas in some individuals.
This multivitamin also has Garcinia extract (Garcinia cambogia), a thermogenic ingredient which may produce gastrointestinal discomfort.
If these, or any ingredient, make you feel doubtful, please consult your physician before purchasing.
The manufacturer also issues a warning:
Optimum Nutrition Opti-Women Summary
- Impressive ingredient profile. Perfect for the modern active woman.
- Mega doses of several B Vitamin ingredients. Helps increase energy levels and boost heart health.
- Contains 23 vitamins and minerals. Comprehensive in scope.
- Has 17 specialty ingredients. Makes for a healthier, well-rounded lady.
- Great transparency. Manufacturer reveals all of the ingredient amounts. Bravo.
- Good reputation. Customers have given this product high marks online.
- Possible inclusion of synthetic ingredients. No “All-Natural” or “ISO-Certified” label.
- Has Garcinia extract. Controversial thermogenic which some experts deem obsolete.
Pricing & Buying Info
- 1 60-Capsule Bottle (30-Day Supply): $14.99
- 1 120-Capsule Bottle (60-Day Supply): $25.99
- Available online and in retail
Final Word on Optimum Nutrition Opti-Women
Well, aren’t you impressed yet?
Optimum Nutrition Opti-Men blew us away because of its comprehensive formula for the modern man.
For its part, Optimum Nutrition Opti-Women does it one better: it’s a more transparent formula which suits the active woman’s needs.
While the latter is not a perfect product, it certainly is close to becoming one.
Nevertheless, Optimum Nutrition Opti-Women sets the bar high – really high.
We highly recommend the ladies buy this product and enjoy a healthier lifestyle for years to come.