Maybe you’ve been looking long and hard for a good alternative to whey protein.
You could be one of those who want a solid, dairy-free alternative.
Fear not, MuscleMeds CARNIVOR Beef Protein Isolate is here.
lf you’re a bona fide beef lover, you’ve stumbled upon the right review, folks. Plus, if you’re a serious lifter, you can enjoy the benefits of beef with a different twist.
We’re stoked. We know you are, too.
About MuscleMeds CARNIVOR Beef Protein Isolate
MuscleMeds CARNIVOR Beef Protein Isolate is “The World’s First Pharmaceutical Grade All-Beef Protein Isolate” which gives you “The Power of Beef at the Speed of Whey,” per its official website. Formula notes:
- Twenty-three grams of beef protein isolate per serving. Accounts for 46 percent of the daily value.
- Has 20 times more creatine than steak. Helps increase muscle mass and improve athletic performance.
- Zero fats and cholesterol.What more could you ask for?
MuscleMeds CARNIVOR Beef Protein Supplement Facts (Chocolate, 4.1 lbs. [1848 grams])
|Serving Size: 1 Scoop (36.4 g)|
Servings Per Container: 56
|Nutrient||Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value|
|Calories From Fat||0|
|Total Fat||0 g||0%†|
|Total Carbohydrate||8 g||3%†|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g||4%†|
|Ingredients: CARNIVOR BPI [Hydrolyzed Beef Protein Isolate, Creatine Monohydrate, BCAAs (L-Leucine, L-Valine, L-Isoleucine), Anabolic Nitrogen Retention Technology™ Intermediates: GKG (Glutamine-Alpha-Ketoglutarate), OKG (Ornithine-Alpha-Ketoglutarate), AKG (Alpha-Ketoglutarate), and KIC (Alpha-Ketoisocaproate)], Maltodextrin, Cocoa, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Salt, Silica, Acesulfame Potassium, and Sucralose.|
|Directions For Carnivor: For a delicious protein shake, mix 1 scoop of CARNIVOR with 6-8 fl. oz. of cold water in a shaker bottle. Protein may foam after mixing. Take 1-2 times daily.|
The Power of Beef at the Speed of Whey
Perhaps you’ve tried several bodybuilding protein supplements before. Whether it’s whey, casein, or the blended variety, protein works. Period.
How about trying some beef protein for a change?
Hey, many individuals love beef – who wouldn’t?
It’s rich in protein, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B6, zinc, selenium, iron, niacin, and phosphorus, for starters.
Plus, beef meat is also a natural source of popular bodybuilding supplement ingredients creatine and taurine.
Don’t forget beef – particularly grass-fed beef – is rich in glutathione, an antioxidant which helps ward off nasty free radicals.
Lastly, many fitness experts also believe beef helps build muscle mass, improve exercise performance, and maintain healthy iron levels (a mineral which assists in muscular contraction).
Awesome, isn’t it?
Now, ever imagine chugging on a beef protein supplement after a hard workout?
There’s always a first time, folks.
Enter MuscleMeds CARNIVOR Beef Protein Isolate.
If this product can product the aforementioned benefits of beef protein, it could be mentioned in the same breath as the likes of Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey.
The manufacturer dubs CARNIVOR Beef Protein Isolate “The World’s First and No. 1-Selling Beef Protein Isolate,” per its official website.
The folks at MuscleMeds say athletes and bodybuilders consume a lot of beef “to help build muscle and increase strength,” per the same source.
Nobody can dispute that. Ask the Golden Era of Bodybuilding icons. They ate a lot of lean protein as part of a balanced nutrition plan.
The good news: you can reap the full benefits of beef protein isolate today.
MuscleMeds’ official website cites a study researchers presented at the 2015 International Society of Sports Nutrition (ISSN) in Austin, TX.
The website claims athletes who supplemented with MuscleMeds CARNIVOR Beef Protein isolate “gained an average of 7.7 lbs. of muscle mass, while increasing strength.”
When they took MuscleMeds CARNIVOR Beef Protein Isolate for eight weeks (while exercising five times weekly during that span), they “had an impressive 6.4 percent average increase in lean body mass,” per the same source.
These same test subjects also increased their overall strength by 20 percent, their bench press one-rep max by more than 45 lbs., and their deadlift by more than 90 lbs., per the company’s official website.
Okay, let’s delve deeper into this product’s CARNIVOR BPI formula.
The components are hydrolyzed beef protein isolate, creatine monohydrate, and the branch-chained amino acids (BCAAs) l-leucine, l-isoleucine, and l-valine.
First of all, we like MuscleMeds CARNIVOR Beef Protein Isolate’s 23 grams of protein per serving.
This much is right on the industry average. It also nips at the heels of big-name competitors such as the aforementioned Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey (24 grams per serving).
We believe 23 grams per scoop will help you build and repair muscle mass and meet your daily protein requirements.
Time and again, the manufacturer downplays other protein sources such as whey, soy, milk, and egg – it even claims MuscleMeds CARNIVOR Beef Protein Isolate is “more concentrated than whey.”
The folks at MuscleMeds claim their beef protein isolate product “achieves the highest level of protein product purity (at) 99 percent.”
In contrast, the best whey protein isolate supplements could muster is 90 percent.
Get a load of this, folks: the manufacturer also includes Anabolic Nitrogen Retention Technology factors (ANRT) to make the formula more potent.
These factors (glutamine-alpha-ketoglutarate, ornithine-alpha-ketoglutarate, alpha-ketoglutarate, and alpha-ketoisocaproate) recycle amino acids “back toward the muscle-building pathway and prevent the buildup of debilitating scavengers such as ammonia,” per the company’s website.
We rarely come across a protein supplement which has ANRT. It’s one of the major selling points of MuscleMeds CARNIVOR Beef Protein Isolate. Make no mistake about it.
In addition, “each serving of CARNIVOR supplies 20 times more creatine than whole beef sources to help saturate your muscles for explosive strength and growth.”
If you’ve never taken a creatine supplement before, you’re missing out.
Just so you know, creatine helps increase muscle mass and athletic performance, regulate blood sugar levels, boosts brain health, and delays the onset of post-exercise fatigue.
Not too many protein supplements have creatine. MuscleMeds CARNIVOR Beef Protein Isolate’s 2.5 grams per serving is certainly a respectable amount for that product category.
In fact, it even trumps many post-workout supplements in that regard. Wow.
If that wasn’t enough, the company throws in a generous serving of branch-chained amino acids (BCAAs) to “promote a positive nitrogen balance, increase protein synthesis, decrease catabolism, improve workout performance, and reduce muscle fatigue,” per its official website.
With that, check out the other benefits of MuscleMeds CARNIVOR Beef Protein Isolate:
- More concentrated than steak by 350 percent
- Loaded with muscle-building amino acids
- Zero fat and zero cholesterol
- Hydrolyzed for a faster absorption rate
The company’s advanced hydrolysis process also piqued our interest – it filters out unwanted fat and cholesterol and retains valuable protein and amino acids.
This process also results in a fast-absorbing kind of protein – the kind which gives the more popular whey protein isolate (WPI) a run for its money.
All in all, it seems MuscleMeds CARNIVOR Beef Protein Isolate is making a serious claim as the go-to beef protein supplement source.
Let’s check out the formula ingredients:
- Calories, 120: MuscleMeds CARNIVOR Beef Protein Isolate’s 120 calories per serving won’t compromise your fitness goals. In fact, we’re confident it will help complement them.
- Total fat, 0 g: You were expecting more fat than usual because of the beef protein isolate source, weren’t you? Well, the manufacturer’s advanced hydrolysis process did a good job in removing the excess fat and retaining valuable protein and amino acids. Awesome.
- Cholesterol, 0 mg: Wow. Any time a beef protein isolate has zero cholesterol, you have to tip your hat off to the manufacturer. Job well done, guys.
- Total carbohydrate, 8 g: MuscleMeds CARNIVOR Beef Protein Isolate’s main carb source is maltodextrin, a by-product of corn, rice, or starch with fast-absorbing prowess due to its high glycemic index (GI) rating. This, in turn, creates a more anabolic and muscle-building environment. Nice. On the other hand, this product is not a significant source of dietary fiber at four percent of the daily value. Although it has no sugar, it does have the artificial sweetener sucralose (a.k.a. Splenda), which experts have linked to certain side effects. Boo.
- Protein, 23 g: MuscleMeds CARNIVOR Beef Protein Isolate supplies your muscles with 46 percent of the daily value for protein, which is awesome. Combine that with 2.5 grams of creatine per serving and added BCAAs, you are guaranteed to build more muscle in conjunction with regular training, sound nutrition, and ample rest.
- Sodium, 370 mg: The second red flag we spotted. Fifteen percent of the daily value is sure to help prevent muscle cramps, but it is a tad high (anything more than 15 percent is high). Those who are monitoring their sodium intake should steer clear of this product and purchase another one which has five percent or less the daily value for sodium.
- Potassium, 250 mg: This mineral helps improve cardiovascular health and regulate blood pressure levels. Unfortunately, MuscleMeds CARNIVOR Beef Protein Isolate is not a significant source of potassium at just seven percent of the daily value.
If you’ve been looking long and hard for a dairy-free protein supplement alternative, MuscleMeds CARNIVOR Beef Protein Isolate is the perfect choice.
Simply put, you can’t go wrong with “The Power of Beef at the Speed of Whey.”
Try 23 grams of hydrolyzed beef protein isolate with 99 percent product purity to start things off.
We’re flat-out impressed with a product that has the muscle-building benefits of beef yet has the speed of whey protein.
When you add 2.5 grams of creatine per serving and an additional dose of BCAAs, expect to build solid muscle mass.
That’s not the end of it.
The addition of ANRT nitrogen retention factors such as glutamine-alpha-ketoglutarate sealed the deal for us.
Like we said, not too many protein supplements have these. Grab the opportunity, folks.
This protein supplement’s estimated eight grams of maltodextrin per serving is a terrific bonus.
This polysaccharide’s fast-absorbing prowess will help increase your energy levels and build more muscle mass. Believe it.
We’re confident you will gain muscle mass, increase your strength, and top your personal best lifts like the test subjects in The Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition.
MuscleMeds CARNIVOR Beef Protein Isolate also has zero fats and cholesterol. Fantastic.
The manufacturer’s transparency is also off the charts – there are no shady proprietary blends to speak of.
On the flip side, MuscleMeds CARNIVOR Beef Protein Isolate is high in sodium at 15 percent of the daily value. Like we mentioned, those who are monitoring their sodium intake should steer clear.
We also spotted a dirty ingredient in sucralose (a.k.a. Splenda), which has several side effects. Boo.
Perhaps the biggest issue with MuscleMeds CARNIVOR Beef Protein Isolate is its taste – many customers have given it mixed feedback.
That factor was the only thing which held most of them back. Such a pity.
MuscleMeds CARNIVOR Beef Protein Isolate Benefits
MuscleMeds CARNIVOR Beef Protein Isolate has the following benefits, per its official website:
- More concentrated than steak by 350 percent
- Better concentration than whey protein isolate
- Undergoes ANRT technology to recycle aminos for more muscle growth
- Loaded with muscle-building amino acids from pure beef
- Has 2.5 grams of creatine per serving
- Helps increase muscle mass and exercise capacity
We agree with all of these claims. MuscleMeds CARNIVOR Beef Protein Isolate is shaping up to be an attractive dairy-free protein option. The competition better watch out.
Who Takes It?
MuscleMeds CARNIVOR Beef Protein Isolate is intended for healthy and active individuals who are at least 18 years of age who want to build muscle mass and meet their daily protein requirements.
Any Side Effects?
MuscleMeds CARNIVOR Beef Protein Isolate has a high sodium amount (15 percent of the daily value). Those who are monitoring their sodium intake are better off purchasing a protein supplement with less sodium (five percent or less of the daily value).
In addition, this product also has sucralose (a.k.a. Splenda), an artificial sweetener with several side effects.
If these, or any other ingredient, make you feel doubtful, please consult your physician before purchasing.
The manufacturer also issues a warning:
MuscleMeds CARNIVOR Beef Protein Isolate Summary
- Twenty-three grams of beef protein isolate per serving. Accounts for 46 percent of the daily value for protein.
- More concentrated than whey protein. Ninety-nine percent to 90 percent.
- Utilizes ANRT technology. Recycles amino acids to help build more muscle mass.
- Has 20 times the creatine amount of steak. Helps increase muscle mass and improve athletic performance.
- Added BCAAs. Helps boost protein synthesis, repair muscle tissues, and increase endurance.
- Has maltodextrin. Complex carbohydrate which helps boost anabolism.
- Zero fats and cholesterol. Awesome.
- Taste. Customers have given it mixed feedback.
- High in sodium. Fifteen percent of the daily value.
- Dirty ingredient. Has sucralose (a.k.a. Splenda), an artificial sweetener with several side effects.
Pricing & Buying Info
- 1 2-lb. bag (28-Day Supply): $47.99
- 1 4-lb. bag (56-Day Supply): $81.99
- 1 8-lb. bag (100-Day Supply): $139.99
- Available online and in retail
Final Word on MuscleMeds CARNIVOR Beef Protein Isolate
We’ve never seen anything like MuscleMeds CARNIVOR Beef Protein Isolate before.
Most likely neither have you.
Well, it’s a winner, folks. The pros outweigh the cons. Once you add this to your supplement stack, expect more muscle growth and better athletic performance.
Now, if you can’t get past its so-so taste, you can always go back to good ‘ol-fashioned whey protein.