Hey, looking for a post-workout supplement which can give you an edge like no other?
Try Bluebonnet Extreme Edge Post Workout.
Catchy name, in our opinion. However, is the rest of it as good as it sounds? Does it live up to the hype?
Gear up for another exciting review, folks.
About Bluebonnet Extreme Edge Post Workout
Bluebonnet Extreme Edge Post Workout “has the muscle-building 3:! ratio of protein to carbohydrates that primes muscles for outstanding growth and development during the recovery phase,” per its official website. Formula notes:
- Twenty-eight grams of protein per serving. High protein content for a post-workout supplement.
- Features grass-fed whey protein . One of the rare post-workout supplements to do so.
- Has sunflower lecithin and stevia. Two ingredients with great health benefits.
Bluebonnet Extreme Edge Post Workout Supplement Facts (Atomic Chocolate, 1.12 lbs.)
|Serving Size: 1 Scoop (42.5 g)
Servings Per Container: 24
|Nutrient||Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value|
|Calories From Fat||10|
|Total Fat||1 g||2|
|Saturated Fat||<1 g||3|
|Total Carbohydrate||9 g||3|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g||3|
|Calcium (from whey)||120 mg||12|
|Phosphorus (from whey)||80 mg||10|
|Magnesium (from whey)||15 mg||6|
|Sodium (from whey)||115 mg||7|
|Potassium (from whey)||240 mg||9|
|Muscle Mass Fuel Stack ♦ (As 3:1 Ratio of Undenatured, rBGH-Free, Cross-Flow Microfiltered Whey Protein Isolate/Concentrate, and Complex Carbohydrates with Long Chain Glucose Polymers from Waxy Maize and Maltodextrin)||37 g||*|
|Extreme Muscle Repair & Volumizing Stack ♦ (As L-Glutamine [Free-Form Amino Acid], BCAAs [From Whey Protein Isolate/Concentrate, and 4:1:1 ratio, L-Leucine, L-Isoleucine, and L-Valine], and Bromelain [Pineapple, 600 GDU/g])||6.5 g||*|
|Cellular Hydration Stack ♦ (Providing Naturally Occurring Electrolytes [Potassium, Sodium, Calcium, Phosphorus and Magnesium] from Undenatured, rBGH-Free, Cross-Flow Microfiltered Whey Protein Isolate and Whey Protein Concentrate)||570 mg||*|
|Other Ingredients: Natural Flavors (Vanilla Bean or Chocolate), Dutch Cocoa (chocolate flavor only), Non-GMO Sunflower Lecithin, Cellulose, Xylitol (chocolate flavor only), Stevia Extract (Reb A), MCT Oil.
Get the Post-Workout Edge You Need
So many – and we mean many – post-workout supplements claim they can give you an edge.
Honestly, a good number of them are full of B.S.
But, wait: could another promising post-workout product give you a different kind of edge?
Please give it up for Bluebonnet Extreme Edge Post Workout.
Let’s be honest: the manufacturer isn’t that well-known, but the product’s name is one of the catchiest we’ve seen.
One thing that gives this product the edge over its competitors is 28 grams of whey protein concentrate (WPC) and whey protein isolate (WPI) per serving.
Bluebonnet Extreme Edge Post Workout “has the muscle-building 3:1 ratio of protein to carbohydrates that primes muscles for outstanding growth and development during the recovery phase,” per its official website.
It’s not that often we come across a post-workout supplement with this kind of protein-to-carbohydrate ratio. MyProtein Hurricane XS’s disparity (30 grams of protein, 22 grams of carbs) doesn’t even match up.
Bluebonnet Extreme Edge Post Workout’s foundation is “the world’s finest whey protein,” per its official website.
The manufacturer says it derives this whey protein “from grass-fed cows that have never been treated with rBGH or antibiotics,” per the same source.
Just so you know, here are some benefits of consuming grass-fed beef products:
- Helps ward off free radicals
- Boosts cardiovascular health
- Improves blood sugar levels
Bluebonnet Extreme Edge Post Workout is one of the rare (extremely rare!) post-workout supplements which has grass-fed whey protein. We’re impressed.
Not only that, this supplement’s whey protein content undergoes cross-flow microfiltration, a process which strips off the excess fats and lactose and retains the valuable immunoglobulins (which help boost the immune system).
Bluebonnet Extreme Edge Post Workout’s impressive protein component comprises three-fourths of its 37-gram Muscle Mass Fuel Stack.
At first glance, this stack looks like a proprietary blend (where manufacturers don’t disclose the amount of each individual component).
However, if you look closely, it’s made up of protein and carbs. You’ll see in the upper half of the ingredient label the manufacturer indicates Bluebonnet Extreme Edge Post Workout’s protein (28 grams per serving) and carb (nine grams per serving) amounts.
The carbohydrate component is comprised of complex carbs from long-chain glucose polymers from waxy maize and maltodextrin – two popular post-workout carbohydrates.
Waxy maize is a starch derived from barley, rice, or corn. Some fitness experts believe it helps replenish depleted muscle glycogen stores faster than other carb sources.
Plus, they also say waxy maize helps boost protein absorption for more muscle growth. If that’s the case, we’re glad it’s in Bluebonnet Extreme Edge Post Workout.
For its part, maltodextrin is a food additive used as thickener or preservative in many post-workout products.
Bluebonnet Extreme Edge Post Workout also has an Extreme Muscle Repair & Volumizing Stack – ugh – proprietary blend (y0u know we can’t stand these), which makes up 6.5 grams per serving.
Why do we say it’s a proprietary blend? Simple: the manufacturer didn’t disclose the precise BCAA amounts.
Many post-workout manufacturers show how much leucine, isoleucine, and valine amounts their products have (don’t believe us? Check out our post-workout reviews here).
Unfortunately, Bluebonnet Nutrition didn’t. What a shame.
Bluebonnet Extreme Edge Post Workout’s last blend is its Cellular Hydration Stack, which makes up 570 milligrams per serving.
Now, this is not a proprietary blend. Why? The manufacturer breaks down the different minerals where it gets the product’s electrolytes from. All of these minerals’ precise amounts are listed in the ingredients list. Awesome.
Let’s check out the formula ingredients:
- Calories, 160: Bluebonnet Extreme Edge Post Workout is not your typical low-calorie post-workout supplement. In fact, it has a high calorie count due to its protein and carb components.
- Calories from fat, 10: This product’s fat content isn’t that high, in our opinion. There are only 10 calories derived from fats.
- Total fat, 1 g: Like we said, Bluebonnet Extreme Edge Post Workout is low in fats at just two percent of the daily value (anything less than five percent is considered low).
- Saturated fat, less than 1 g: This product has a low saturated fat content at just three percent of the daily value. If you’re monitoring your saturated fat intake, you can breathe a sigh of relief.
- Cholesterol, 40 mg: As much as we’ve been praising this product for a few post-workout supplement milestones, we just ran into its first red flag. Unfortunately, Bluebonnet Extreme Edge Post Workout is bordering on a high cholesterol content at 13 percent of the daily value (anything more than 15 percent is considered high). If you’re monitoring your cholesterol intake, ask your doctor for advice before purchasing.
- Total carbohydrate, 9 g: This product is low in carbs at just three percent of the daily value. Most of its carb content lies in its waxy maize and maltodextrin contents.
- Dietary fiber, 1 g: Bluebonnet Extreme Edge Post Workout’s fiber content is attributed to bromelain, a digestive enzyme derived from pineapple. It should help boost nutrient absorption – a critical factor during the 30-minute post-workout anabolic window.
- Sugars, 0.5 g: This supplement has just 0.5 grams of sugar per serving, which is not high by any stretch of the imagination.
- Protein, 28 g: Bluebonnet Extreme Edge Post Workout trumps a good number of regular protein supplements with its 28 grams of protein per serving. In fact, it’s almost right up there with MyProtein Hurricane XS (30 grams per serving). Can you say, “Muscle up?”
- Calcium (from whey), 120 mg: Consider it a bonus if your post-workout supplement can supply you with some extra calcium for healthier bones, teeth, and blood pressure levels. Fortunately, Bluebonnet Extreme Edge Post Workout – whose calcium content is valued at 12 percent of the daily value – does just that. Cheers.
- Phosphorus (from whey), 80 mg: This product is also a good source of phosphorus at 10 percent of the daily value. Among this mineral’s post-workout benefits are protein formation, improved digestion, cellular repair, and better nutrient utilization.
- Magnesium (from whey), 15 mg: Bluebonnet Extreme Edge Post Workout is not a significant source of magnesium at six percent of the daily value. Magnesium helps improve bone health, blood pressure levels, and cardiovascular health.
- Sodium (from whey), 115 mg: We’re glad the manufacturer didn’t put in too much sodium. You need the precise amount to help boost post-workout recovery (prevent muscle cramping, for instance) without compromising blood pressure levels. Seven percent of the daily value is not that high, although it would have been better to have lowered it to no more than five percent (for the sake of those who are monitoring their sodium intake).
- Potassium (from whey), 240 mg: This mineral helps boost cardiovascular health and maintain healthy blood pressure levels. Bluebonnet Extreme Post Workout’s potassium content is valued at nine percent of the daily value. We feel this is the utmost potassium levels should reach. Anything more is a tad bit excessive (too much potassium can compromise heart health).
Extreme Muscle Repair & Volumizing Stack, 6.5 g
- L-glutamine: The most abundant amino acid in the body. Glutamine is considered a staple post-workout ingredient because of its ability to preserve hard-earned muscle mass, restore a positive nitrogen balance, and increase human growth hormone (HGH) levels. Furthermore, it helps boost the immune and digestive systems. What’s not to love?
- L-leucine: The king of branch-chained amino acids (BCAAs) because of its ability to kickstart the muscle protein synthesis process. We love Bluebonnet Extreme Edge Post Workout’s 4:1:1 BCAA ratio. Any time you have a product whose leucine content is four times as much as its valine and isoleucine, you should consider it for more muscle growth. Too bad the manufacturer didn’t disclose the exact amount of each BCAA it included.
- L-isoleucine: The BCAA which helps restore a positive nitrogen balance and repair muscle tissue.
- L-valine: This BCAA also helps repair muscle tissue. Another great post-workout benefit is its ability to increase exercise endurance.
- Bromelain (pineapple, 600 GDU/g): As earlier mentioned, bromelain is a digestive enzyme derived from pineapple. It should help speed up the absorption of nutrients.
We’ve liked almost everything we’ve seen from Bluebonnet Extreme Edge Post Workout so far.
Let’s start things off with 28 grams of whey protein concentrate (WPC) and whey protein isolate (WPI) per serving.
This product places a high emphasis on protein – look no further than the 3:1 protein-to-carb ratio in its 37-gram Muscle Mass Fuel Stack.
The good thing about this product is not just the amount of protein, but also the quality of protein.
It’s rare to come across a post-workout supplement with grass-fed whey protein. If you’re talking about a regular protein supplement, it’s fairly common.
However, if the manufacturer categorizes the product as a post-workout, it’s a different story, folks. Grass-fed whey in this category is something you don’t see every day, that’s for sure.
We’re thrilled the manufacturer’s cross-flow microfiltration process did away with the excess fats and lactose sugars which can lead to cramping. Plus, the immune-boosting immunoglobulins are intact. Bravo.
Now, you can be sure Bluebonnet Extreme Edge Post Workout will help replenish your depleted glycogen stores with its waxy maize component.
You need fast-acting protein and carbs after a tough workout. Waxy maize helps complete the equation.
We like the inclusion of glutamine and the 4:1:1 BCAA ratio. Not only will you build muscle mass with four times more leucine per serving, but you will also preserve it with glutamine around.
We also like this product’s Cellular Hydration Stack as some sort of an icing on the cake, if you will.
Different minerals derived from grass-fed whey protein will serve as electrolytes. These will help replenish your body after your training.
The manufacturer even included sunflower lecithin (a source of good fats for better cardiovascular health) and stevia (natural plant-based sweetener which helps regulate blood sugar and blood pressure levels). Wow.
Hey, what can we say? The ingredient combination is impressive, to say the least.
However, there are spoilers.
First is the proprietary Extreme Muscle Repair & Volumizing Stack blend, where we don’t know the exact amounts of the individual BCAAs (leucine, isoleucine, and valine).
Finally, the warning label says an undisclosed ingredient “is listed by the state of California as a carcinogen and/or reproductive toxicant.”
Yikes. Watch out, folks.
Bluebonnet Extreme Edge Post Workout Benefits
Bluebonnet Extreme Edge Post Workout has the following benefits, per its official website:
- Muscular growth and development
- Helps prevent muscle breakdown
- Helps decrease recovery time
- Reduces muscle soreness
We agree with all of these claims. Bluebonnet Extreme Edge Post Workout will help you achieve your post-workout goals so you can be better prepared for your next workout.
Who Takes It?
Bluebonnet Extreme Edge Post Workout is intended for healthy and active individuals who want to achieve their post-workout goals, grow muscle mass, and recover faster.
Any Side Effects?
Although Bluebonnet Extreme Edge Post Workout has no glaring side effects, we urge consumers to be wary of its somewhat high cholesterol content (13 percent of the daily value).
If you are monitoring your cholesterol levels, ask your physician for advice before purchasing.
The manufacturer also issues a warning:
Bluebonnet Extreme Edge Post Workout Summary
- High protein content. Twenty-eight grams of WPC and WPI per serving.
- 3:1 protein-to-carb ratio. For optimum recovery.
- 4:1:1 BCAA ratio. For more muscle growth.
- Grass-fed whey protein. High-quality form of whey which has excellent health benefits.
- Cross-flow microfiltered. Less excess fats and lactose sugar and more immunoglobulins.
- Has bromelain. Digestive enzyme derived from pineapple for better nutrient absorption.
- Includes sunflower lecithin and stevia. Two ingredients with great health benefits.
- Good ingredient combination. Helps you achieve your post-workout goals.
- Somewhat high in cholesterol. Thirteen percent of the daily value.
- Proprietary blend. Manufacturer doesn’t disclose precise BCAA amounts. Boo.
- Dirty ingredient. Warning label reveals product has an undisclosed ingredient which is a carcinogen.
- Expensive. $39.58 for a 2.25-lb. container on Amazon.
- Manufacturer not well-known. Easier to trust more reputable brands.
Pricing & Buying Info
- 1 1.12-lb. Container (24-Day Supply): $21.99
- 1. 2.25-lb. Container (48-Day Supply): $39.58
- Available online and in retail
Final Word on Bluebonnet Extreme Edge Post Workout
Bluebonnet Extreme Edge Post Workout has the makings of a great product.
Great ingredient combo, 28 grams of protein per serving, grass-fed whey content, etc.
However, the cholesterol content, a proprietary blend, a dirty ingredient, and the price lowered our lofty expectations.
Yes, Bluebonnet Extreme Edge Post Workout can give you an edge, but approach with caution.