Hey, you know the old saying, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it,” don’t you?
Well, it applies to the bodybuilding supplement industry as well.
Take, for example, Beachbody Performance Recover Post-Workout Formula, a new version of the company’s P90X Results and Recovery Formula.
Buy, borrow, or forget about it?
Another exciting review is in the offing, folks.
About Beachbody Performance Recovery Post-Workout Formula
Beachbody Peformance Recovery Post-Workout Formula “takes advantage of the critical post-training window with the ideal combination of time-released proteins and phytonutrients to help facilitate muscle recovery and reduce muscle breakdown,” per its official website. Formula notes:
- Muscle Recovery Blend. Consists of WPI, pea protein, micellar casein, BCAAs, and l-glutamine.
- Has pomegranate extract and quercetin extract. Rare post-workout ingredients with good benefits.
- Expensive. $69.95 for a 1-lb. container.
Beachbody Performance Recover Post-Workout Formula Supplement Facts (Orange, 1 lb.)
|Serving Size: 1 level scoop (35 g)
Servings Per Container: 20
|Nutrient||Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value|
|Calories From Fat||5|
|Total Fat||0.5 g||1%|
|Total Carbohydrate||10 g||3%|
|Sodium (as Sodium citrate)||150 mg||6%|
|Potassium (as Potassium citrate)||130mg||4%|
|MUSCLE RECOVERY BLEND||23 g||**|
| Whey protein isolate, Pea protein isolate, Micellar casein, [Branched-
chain amino acids (BCAAs): L-leucine, Valine, Isoleucine (2:1:1)],
|OTHER INGREDIENTS: Beet sugar, Natural orange flavor (with other natural flavors), Citric acid, Sodium citrate, Xanthan gum, Stevia leaf extract, Potassium citrate, Annatto extractives (color).|
|How to Use RECOVER Post-Workout Formula: Simply mix with water according to the label instructions, and drink within 30 minutes after exercise.|
Get a Beach Body and Recover Faster at the Same Time
You know the old saying, folks: “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”
BSN, one of the top bodybuilding supplement manufacturers, made that mistake when it re-formulated BSN CELLMASS 2.0 to come up with the dirty-ingredient-laced BSN R3BUILD EDGE.
Could Beachbody Performance have fallen into the same trap when it did away with its vaunted P90X Results and Recovery Formula and concocted Beachbody Performance Recover Post-Workout Formula?
It should be interesting to find out.
Beachbody P90X Results and Recovery Formula was a hit with consumers – they liked its taste and, more importantly, its results.
However, the manufacturer decided to take a different route based on the mantra of famous supplement marketing expert Monty Python, per its official website.
“And now for something completely different,” Python said, per the same source.
For Beachbody Performance, performance is king when you’re talking about post-workout recovery.
“We’ve learned that adequate protein intake takes priority over glycogen restoration, particularly when it comes to shorter workouts like FOCUS T25, The Master’s Hammer and Chisel, and 22 Minute Hard Corps,” per its official webpage.
Beachbody Performance Recover Post-Workout Formula is the perfect manifestation: it has a 2:1 protein-to-carb ratio (20 grams of protein per serving to 10 grams of carbs).
Bear in mind Beachbody Performance is the official sports nutrition supplement of the 2017 IRONMAN North American Series.
It doesn’t take rocket science to figure out the company prioritizes protein over carbs in the supplementation of triathlon competitors.
We find that a bit odd. A triathlon is the ultimate test of stamina and endurance – carbs play the biggest role among the macronutrients. Perhaps the manufacturer should tilt the balance equally.
Nonetheless, the company says the sweeping changes “are our way of making a more effective product that helps you reach your fitness goals faster,” per its official website.
Let’s see about that.
The star of the show of Beachbody Performance Recover Post-Workout Formula is 23 grams per serving of its Muscle Recovery Blend.
Of course, it’s protein that’s king here – there’s whey protein isolate, pea protein isolate, micellar casein, BCAAs, and l-glutamine.
We think this combination is impressive.
“Fast-, intermediate-, and slow-release proteins ensure a constant supply of nutrients to create the optimal environment to improve muscle recovery and promote muscle growth,” per Beachbody Performance’s official website.
Beachbody Performance Recover Post-Workout Formula’s whey protein isolate component (WPI) covers your fast-release protein needs.
Between whey protein concentrate (WPC) and whey protein isolate (WPI), the latter is the purer form of protein (at least 90 percent).
Plus, WPI has less carbs and fats than WPC. It is the ideal protein for individuals who want to build lean muscle mass.
The downside? WPI undergoes a microfiltration process which strips off the excess fats, carbs, and immune-system-boosting immunoglobulins found in WPC.
In addition, WPI is also more expensive than WPC.
So, in terms of protein, the choice depends on your individual needs and fitness goals. Both WPC and WPI have their share of strengths and weaknesses.
As for us, we like WPI’s inclusion in Beachbody Performance Recover Post-Workout Formula.
Next up is pea protein, which is a medium-release protein.
Aside from its decent protein content, pea protein helps boost weight loss, contribute to a healthier cardiovascular system, and regulate blood sugar levels.
It’s also a safe bet for those who are looking for a gluten-free and dairy-free protein source.
And then there’s micellar casein, which is known for its slow-release property.
This kind of casein is the best on the market. Casein protein stays in your system for a good seven to eight hours, making it an excellent choice in terms of muscle preservation.
Of course, no post-workout supplement would be complete without branch-chained amino acids (BCAAs).
Beachbody Performance Recover Post-Workout Formula has a potent 2:1:1 BCAA ratio, similar to Too Fit Rally Natural Post-Workout.
Naturally, the emphasis is on leucine, the most anabolic amino acid.
Leucine is the BCAA which helps kickstart muscle protein synthesis. Without it, you’ll never grow quality muscle mass. Trust us.
The two other BCAAs, isoleucine and valine, complement leucine perfectly.
The former helps restore a positive protein and nitrogen balance for more muscle growth.
On the other hand, the latter helps increase endurance, boost the immune system, and repair muscle tissue.
The final component of Beachbody Performance Recover Post-Workout Formula’s Muscle Recovery Blend is l-glutamine, the most abundant amino acid.
It’s as abundant as it’s versatile.
It helps preserve muscle mass, increase human growth hormone (HGH) levels, improve athletic performance, ward off free radicals, and boost the immune and digestive sytems.
We told you so.
As impressive as the components of the Muscle Recovery Blend are, it’s also a deceiving proprietary blend.
Hey, we never mentioned the actual amounts of each component because there were none to begin with.
That’s what a proprietary blend is – the manufacturer lists the amount of the entire blend and disregards those for the individual ingredients.
It’s nothing more than a fancy marketing tactic which is a disservice to the customers.
Okay, now that we got that off our chests, let’s talk about Beachbody Performance Recover Post-Workout Formula’s 650 milligrams of pomegranate extract (seed) per serving.
“This powerful ellagitanin-rich extract is scientifically shown to promote faster muscle recovery while helping to manage exercise-induced muscle soreness,” per Beachbody Performance’s official website.
Ellegitanins or hydrolysable tannins are “phenolic phytochemicals that show high antioxidant and free-radical scavenging activities,” per Molecular Aspects of Medicine (via the the U.S. National Library of Medicine’s National Institutes of Health).
Anytime a post-workout has added health benefits such as these, we’re all for it.
What’s more is Beachbody Performance Recover Post-Workout Formula is one of the rare post-workouts which has pomegranate. A good number have banaba leaf extract, tart cherry extract, turmeric, and the like.
Pomegranate? We rarely stumble upon a post-workout which has this. We’d like to vouch for its inclusion in more post-workout products.
Another rare post-workout ingredient which Beachbody Performance Recover Post-Workout formula has is 300 milligrams of quercetin (Uncaria elliptica) exract (leaf) per serving.
Quercetin is a potent flavonoid which helps ward off inflammation, strengthen the heart, lower blood pressure, and boost the immune system – all important post-workout benefits.
It bears repeating: can we please have more of this ingredient in more post-workouts?
We hope our pleas don’t fall on deaf ears.
Let’s check out the formula ingredients:
- Calories, 130: Most post-workout supplements’ calorie contents range from zero to 150. Beachbody Performance Recover Post-Workout Formula’s falls within that range. It’s not a low-calorie supplement. However, it’s neither a high-calorie one as well.
- Calories from fat, 5: As the total amount of fats per serving indicates, we wouldn’t be worried about this. The calories from fat per serving are extremely low.
- Total fat, 0.5 g: Any product which has less than five percent of the daily value is considered low in terms of a particular nutrient’s content. Beachbody Performance Recover Post-Workout Formula has less than one percent of the daily value for fats. It’s that low, folks.
- Cholesterol, 10 mg: Ditto for cholesterol. This supplement has only three percent of the daily value for this nutrient.
- Total carbohydrate, 10 g: Beachbody Performance Recover Post-Workout Formula is also a low-carb product at a measly three percent of the daily value for carbs.
- Sugars, 7 g: If this product has only three percent the daily value for carbohydrates, it’s a certainty the amount of sugar is less than that. Kudos to the manufacturer for using stevia leaf extract. All good.
- Protein, 20 g: This macronutrient has been the thrust of Beachbody Performance Recovery Post-Workout Formula all along. The amount of protein is solid, considering a ton of post-workout products don’t include protein to begin with.
- Calcium, 110 mg: Okay. For key minerals such as calcium, you’d want at least 15 percent of the daily value for optimum health benefits. This product’s 10 percent of the daily value for calcium is decent, but it could have been more.
- Iron, 0.6 mg: Beachbody Performance Recovery Post-Workout formula is not a decent source of iron at just four percent of the daily value.
- Sodium (as sodium citrate), 150 mg: We daresay the manufacturer threw in just the right amount of sodium (six percent of the daily value) to help prevent muscle cramps without compromising your blood pressure levels. Bravo.
- Potassium (as potassium citrate), 130 mg: This product is not a significant source of potassium at just four percent of the daily value.
- Pomegranate extract (seed), 650 mg: Helps ward off free radicals, shorten recovery time, and prevent muscle soreness. What more could you ask for? It’s about time more post-workouts include pomegranate.
- Quercetin (Uncaria elliptica) extract (leaf), 300 mg: A flavonoid which has several important post-workout benefits. Our take: it’s vastly underrated.
Like we said, the folks at Beachbody Performance consider protein as king in terms of post-workout supplementation.
We say yes and no.
Yes, because you need protein after a hard workout. Protein is the macronutrient responsible for repairing and building muscle tissue.
No, because not too many post-workouts include protein in their formulas. You see the regular muscle-building post-workout ingredients such as creatine, glutamine, BCAAs, and the like.
Hey, if your post-workout’s protein content has left you hanging, you can always opt for a separate protein shake.
But then again, that may not be the most practical option.
The takeaway: the solution hinges on the consumer. It’s up to him or her if she wants more protein after a hard workout.
As for Beachbody Performance Recover Post-Workout Formula, its protein content is solid for a product of its kind.
The good: the slow- (micellar casein), medium- (pea protein), and fast-acting protein content (whey protein isolate) ensure your body remains in an anabolic state for up to seven or eight hours after your workout.
The bad: the Muscle Recovery Blend is proprietary. Boo.
Nevertheless, we like the inclusions of pomegranate extract and quercetin extract. These are underrated post-workout ingredients which need more recognition.
Beachbody Performance Recover Post-Workout Formula is the unique product which has both.
Other pluses: this supplement is low in fat, cholesterol, carbs, and sugar. It’s also a decent – not outstanding – source of calcium. All good.
We also tip our hats off to the manufacturer for using clean ingredients. We like the fact it used stevia (a natural, plant-based sweetener which helps regulate blood sugar and blood pressure levels) as a sweetener.
Other stubborn supplement companies should take notes here.
Plus, this product has annatto extractives derived from the achiote tree. They help boost digestion and nutrient absorption for better results.
Aside from the proprietary blend, Beachbody Performance Recover Post-Workout Formula’s other negatives are its taste and solubility.
A lot – and we mean a lot – of consumers have been griping about those two issues.
Some of the adjectives we’ve gathered regarding the taste: “one-star,” “gross,” and “awful.”
Those are the kindest, mind you.
Our take: the taste is below average, to put it bluntly. Solubility is also lackluster.
Finally, the 20 servings and the exorbitant price of $69.95 don’t serve the customers any justice whatsoever.
Many of them agree with us, we can tell you that much.
It’s too bad these shortcomings vastly overshadow the product’s upsides.
Beachbody Performance Recover Post-Workout Formula Benefits
Beachbody Performance Recover Post-Workout Formula has the following benefits, per its official website:
- Boosts muscle growth and recovery
- Prevents post-workout muscle soreness
- Improves exercise adaptation
- Boosts muscle glycogen recovery
We agree with all of these claims. You can experience these when you supplement with Beachbody Performance Recover Post-Workout Formula.
Who Takes It?
Beachbody Performance Recover Post-Workout Formula is intended for healthy and active individuals who are at least 18 years of age who want to build muscle mass, shorten recovery time, prevent muscle soreness, increase endurance, and achieve their everyday fitness goals.
Any Side Effects?
We are happy to report Beachbody Performance Recover Post-Workout Formula has no glaring side effects. However, if any of the ingredients make you feel doubtful, please consult your physician before consuming.
Beachbody Performance Recover Post-Workout Formula Summary
- Twenty grams of protein per serving. Muscle Recovery Blend consisting of WPI, pea protein, and micellar casein.
- Has BCAAs and glutamine. For more muscle growth, increased endurance, and muscle preservation.
- Has pomegranate extract and quercetin extract. Rare post-workout ingredients with impressive benefits.
- Has stevia. Plant-based, zero-calorie sweetener with proven health benefits.
- Low in fats, cholesterol, carbs ,and sugars. Says it all, folks.
- Below average taste and solubility. Made us cringe. Seriously.
- Few servings. Just 20 for a one-lb. container.
- Expensive. $69.95 for a one-lb. container.
Pricing & Buying Info
- 1 1-lb. container (20-Day Supply): $69.95
- Available online and in retail
Final Word on Beachbody Performance Recover Post-Workout Formula
Beachbody Performance Recover Post-Workout Formula is the typical post-workout which seems promising.
That is, until you taste it.
No consumer would stick to a potent supplement if the taste leaves much to be desired.
The solubility, price, and serving amount aren’t impressive, either.
Not even Beachbody Performance Recover Post-Workout Formula’s protein content, bonus ingredients, and clean formula are enough to salvage it.
You can still try it, but it won’t be worth it on a long-term basis. You’d be much better off forgetting about it.
The old adage is true, folks – if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.