How about trying a post-workout which can give you an instant surge of nutrients?
Take a hint from the name, folks: BIOTEST Surge Recovery might be the answer to your prayers.
The manufacturer claims this supplement can help boost muscle protein synthesis and replenish glycogen stores.
That’s just the tip of the iceberg.
Enjoy the review, folks.
About BIOTEST Surge Recovery
BIOTEST Surge Recovery is “The Original Scientific Workout Formula” which “is designed to stimulate anabolism and jumpstart recovery when it’s most important for making progress – post-workout,” per its official website. Formula notes:
- Simple ingredients. Combines whey protein, maltodextrin, and leucine.
- Twenty-four grams of protein per serving. Helps build and repair muscle mass.
- Bonus ingredients. Rich in calcium, phosphorus, and potassium.
BIOTEST Surge Recovery Supplement Facts (Chocolate, 1,408 grams)
|Serving Size: 2 Scoops (88 g)
Servings Per Container: 16
|Nutrient||Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value|
|Calories From Fat||70|
|Total Fat||8 g||12%|
|Saturated Fat||3 g||15%|
|Total Carbohydrate||43 g||14%|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g||8%|
|Vitamin A||170 IU||3%|
| Produced Via Carbohydrate Fermentation.
100% Non-Animal, Non-Hair Origin.
|INGREDIENTS: Whey Hydrolysate Complex (Hydrolyzed Whey Protein Phospholipid Concentrate, Enzymes), Maltodextrin, D-Glucose, Creamer (Corn Syrup Solids, Sunflower Oil, Sodium Caseinate, Dipotassium Phosphate, Soy Lecithin, Sodium Silico Aluminate, Tocopherols, Artificial Flavor, Artificial Color), Cocoa (Alkalized), L-Leucine, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Potassium Chloride, Sucralose.|
|RECOMMENDED USE: Choose dose amount based on body weight. Pour the desired number of scoops into cold water and either stir or shake. Consume during or immediately after training.|
The Original Scientific Workout Formula
Quick, name an effective bodybuilding post-workout supplement which is high in protein.
We can’t blame you if you’re stumped. After all, most products in the post-workout category do not contain protein (just the usual creatine, BCAAs, glutamine, electrolytes, etc.).
First that comes to mind is Kris Gethin’s KAGED MUSCLE RE-KAGED, a bona fide game changer, folks.
Another one is MyProtein Hurricane XS, straight from the United Kingdom.
Now, step aside for BIOTEST Surge Recovery.
The manufacturer dubs it as “The Original Scientific Workout Formula,” per its official website.
“Surge Recovery is designed to stimulate anabolism and jumpstart recovery when it’s most important for making progress – post-workout,” per BIOTEST’s official website.
It also “stimulates a hormonal surge that drives high concentrations of anabolic and anti-catabolic nutrients deep into the muscle cell,” per the same source.
Those two words – anabolic and anti-catabolic – are music to any fitness enthusiast’s ears.
The manufacturer says, “your body gets worse for a few hours” after a tough workout.
We completely agree. You put your body through a lot of stress and wear and tear during that time.
More specifically, the folks at BIOTEST say the rate of protein breakdown and depleted glycogen stores after training may get in the way of your progress.
Worse, prolonged catabolic periods may result in soreness, fatigue, and muscle atrophy (shrinkage), per the company’s webpage.
Here’s the thing: instead of just waiting for your body to recuperate, you can prevent these from happening in the first place.
You need to wise up and pounce on your post-workout anabolic window by chugging on a quality post-workout shake.
“Right after a workout, ingest a precise, science-backed formula that rapidly fuels your body with exactly what it needs and nothing it doesn’t,” per the manufacturer.
Enter BIOTEST Surge Recovery.
Hey, what better way to feed your muscles than with 24 grams of protein per serving (two scoops)?
This product’s Whey Hydrolysate Complex is comprised of hydrolyzed whey protein phospholipid concentrate and enzymes.
You may know what whey protein concentrate (WPC) and whey protein isolate (WPI) are by now (the former is 80 to 90 percent protein at most while the latter is at least 90 percent protein).
But what exactly is hydrolyzed whey protein phospholipid concentrate?
According to the American Dairy Products Institute, it “is a product obtained through the microfiltration of whey which concentrates whey proteins and whey phospholipids.”
Let’s get this straight: whey is one of the two proteins found in milk. Once it undergoes a microfiltration process, you get a by-product which is a combination of whey proteins and whey phospholipids.
To simplify matters, it’s still whey protein – the best protein source for building lean muscle mass.
Who can argue with its high glutamine and BCAA content and fast absorption rate (which is what you need during the post-workout anabolic window)?
We believe the 24 grams of protein in BIOTEST Surge Recovery is optimal. Even though it takes two scoops to reach this amount, this product’s protein content is right up there with the likes of Optimum Whey Gold Standard 100% Whey.
The downside: when you consume two scoops every time after a workout, you use up the product faster.
BIOTEST Surge Recovery also has 43 grams of carbohydrates per serving (two scoops).
The lone carb source here is maltodextrin, a by-product of corn starch, rice starch, wheat, or potatoes.
This ingredient has a high glycemic index, which means it has a fast absorption rate.
Again, that bodes well for your post-workout results.
The last major component of BIOTEST Surge Recovery is five grams of leucine per serving.
You should know by now leucine is the most anabolic amino acid because of its ability to kickstart the muscle protein synthesis process.
Simply put, folks: no leucine, no muscle.
Plus, leucine also helps preserve muscle mass, restore a positive nitrogen balance, regulate blood sugar levels, and torch fat (by triggering the release of an appetite-suppressing hormone from the hypothalamus).
Clearly, leucine is not only anabolic, it is also versatile.
We’re glad it’s in BIOTEST Surge Recovery.
Let’s check out the formula ingredients:
- Calories, 350: Most post-workouts without the extra protein and carb content have between zero and 150 calories. Since BIOTEST Surge Recovery is the exception to the norm, it is somewhat of a high-calorie post-workout.
- Calories from fat, 70: We’ll use the total fat portion of the ingredients list as basis for our analysis. On that note, BIOTEST Surge Recovery’s fat content is bordering on high.
- Total fat, 8 g: Twelve percent of the daily value for fats is teetering on the brink of high (anything more than 15 percent is considered high). If you’re particular about your fats intake, then this is not the supplement for you.
- Saturated fat, 3 g: BIOTEST Surge Recovery is high in saturated fats at 15 percent of the daily value. Skip this product if you are monitoring your cholesterol levels (which can skyrocket with too much saturated fat intake).
- Cholesterol, 120 mg: Unfortunately, BIOTEST Surge Recovery’s cholesterol levels are off the charts at 40 percent of the daily value. Please see our advice in the saturated fat section.
- Total carbohydrate, 43 g: Two scoops of BIOTEST Surge Recovery yield 14 percent of the daily value for carbs, which is teetering on the brink of high. If you’re on a low-carb diet, skip this one.
- Dietary fiber, 2 g: This supplement is a so-so source of fiber at eight percent of the daily value. If you purchase BIOTEST Surge Recovery, you can complement your fiber intake by eating more whole grains, fruits, and vegetables.
- Sugars, 19 g: This much sugar isn’t overkill, but it’s somewhat high, in our opinion. What makes it worse is the sugar source: sucralose. Also known as Splenda, this artificial sweetener has been linked to obesity and other side effects. Boo.
- Protein, 24 g: BIOTEST Surge Recovery’s protein amount will help you build lean muscle mass – make no mistake about it. The only thing which gnaws at our conscience is it takes two scoops to reach this amount.
- Vitamin A, 170 IU: This supplement is not a significant source of Vitamin A at just three percent of the daily value.
- Calcium, 280 mg: Now, we’re talking. If you want to boost your bone and teeth health and regulate your blood pressure levels, BIOTEST Surge Recovery should help – its 28 percent of the daily value for calcium is optimal.
- Iron, 2.5 mg: This product is also a solid source of iron at 14 percent of the daily value. Most people know iron helps transport oxygen throughout the body. However, this mineral also helps improve muscle contraction. Awesome.
- Phosphorus, 290 mg: BIOTEST Surge Recovery is also a great source of phosphorus at 29 percent of the daily value. This mineral helps improve energy flow, boost digestion, delay the onset of post-exercise fatigue, maximize protein utilization, and improve brain health. Fantastic.
- Magnesium, 50 mg: This product is a decent source of magnesium at 13 percent of the daily value. Magnesium helps increase energy levels, improve digestion, prevent muscle discomfort, regulate levels of calcium and potassium, and boost heart health. Awesome.
- Sodium, 80 mg: Many post-workout supplements go overboard on their sodium levels. Not this one. At three percent of the daily value, BIOTEST Surge Recovery is safe even for those who are monitoring their sodium intake.
- Potassium, 600 mg: BIOTEST Surge Recovery is high in potassium at 17 percent of the daily value. This mineral helps regulate sodium levels in the body, maintain healthy blood pressure levels, and improve cardiovascular health.
Take BIOTEST Surge Recovery for what it means, folks.
This product gives you an instant rush of nutrients which will help you take your post-workout results to the next level.
When you talk about whey protein and maltodextrin, the first thing that should come to mind is fast absorption.
That’s precisely what you need after a grueling gym session.
Hey, the manufacturer said it: the more potent your post-workout supplement is, you’ll shorten your recovery time, build more muscle mass, improve performance, and increase energy levels.
We feel BIOTEST Surge Recovery can help you achieve those.
Like we already pointed out, the 24 grams of protein per serving (courtesy of hydrolyzed whey protein phospholipid concentrate enzymes) will help you build and repair muscle.
Throw in the five grams of leucine per serving, and you will grow even more muscle mass in conjunction with regular training, sound nutrition, and enough rest.
The 43 grams of carbohydrates per serving (from maltodextrin) will also help supercharge your recovery and replenish your glycogen stores.
Our takeaway: BIOTEST Surge Recovery is simple and effective.
Plus, we like the added doses of calcium, iron, phosphorus, magnesium, and potassium. This supplement is also low in sodium.
Hey, anytime a clean post-workout has added health benefits, you grab it off the shelf.
We also commend the manufacturer for its transparency – it lists all of the ingredient amounts. No shady proprietary blends, either. Awesome.
However, this product is not perfect, folks.
First of all, it is high in fats, saturated fats, and cholesterol. It’s also somewhat high in sugar.
Take our word for it: if you are monitoring your intake of these nutrients, better skip BIOTEST Surge Recovery.
Lastly, it has a dirty ingredient in sucarlose (a.k.a. Splenda), which, like we said, has been linked to several side effects.
BIOTEST Surge Recovery Benefits
BIOTEST Surge Recovery has the following benfits, per its official website:
- Helps kickstart the recovery process
- Stops protein breakdown
- Helps increase muscle protein synthesis
- Helps replenish glycogen stores
We agree with all of these claims. BIOTEST Surge Recovery will help you achieve your post-workout goals and then some.
Who Takes It?
BIOTEST Surge Recovery is intended for “bodybuilders and all serious lifters; strength, combat, and endurance athletes, and CrossFitters and hard-training military personnel,” per its official website.
Any Side Effects?
While BIOTEST Surge Recovery has no glaring side effects, we encourage those who have cardiovascular issues to steer clear of this product, alluding to its high fat, saturated fat, and cholesterol levels.
In addition, BIOTEST Surge Recovery has sucralose (a.k.a. Splenda), an artificial sweetener which has been linked to obesity and other side effects.
If these, of any other ingredient, concern you, please seek your physician’s advice before purchasing.
The manufacturer also issues a warning:
BIOTEST Surge Recovery Summary
- Simple ingredients. Whey protein, maltodextrin, and leucine.
- Twenty-four grams of protein per serving. Helps build and repair muscle mass.
- Forty-three grams of carbs per serving. Maltodextrin content helps replenish depleted glycogen stores.
- Five grams of leucine per serving. Optimal amount of the most anabolic BCAA.
- Bonus ingredients. Rich in calcium, iron, phosphorus, magnesium, and potassium.
- Low in sodium. Just three percent of the daily value.
- Great transparency. No shady proprietary blends. Bravo.
- Awesome taste. Customers swear by it.
- Good reputation. Consumers have given it good reviews online.
- High in fats, saturated fats, and cholesterol. Skip this product if you have cardiovascular issues.
- Somewhat high in sugar. Nineteen grams per serving.
- Dirty ingredient. Has Splenda, an artificial sweetener linked to obesity and other side effects.
Pricing & Buying Info
- 1 1,408-gram (3.10-lb.) Container (16-Day Supply): $35.95
- Available online and in retail
Final Word on BIOTEST Surge Recovery
We like BIOTEST Surge Recovery.
First and foremost, its simplicity piqued our interest. Far too many post-workouts resort to fancy – and occasionally worthless – ingredients.
This product harnesses the power of whey protein, maltodextrin, and leucine. Combine those with key minerals such calcium, phosphorus, and potassium, and you’ve got it made.
Even if BIOTEST Surge Recovery has a few flaws (high in fats, saturated fats, cholesterol, and sugar plus the presence of Splenda), we still recommend you try it.
It’s not the best post-workout on the market, but it will produce results.