We have sized up several multivitamins geared toward the serious athlete.
These do more than just fill nutrition gaps. They help increase energy levels and ward off inflammation – two of an athlete’s nemeses.
Let’s see if Controlled Labs Orange Triad is up to the task, folks.
For starters, it has one of the highest Vitamin B12 contents we’ve ever seen.
We’re sure that’s enough to whet your appetite for this review.
About Controlled Labs Orange Triad
Controlled Labs Orange Triad is the “Best Supplement for Serious Athletes,” per its official website. Formula notes:
- Insane Vitamin B12 content. Amazing 10,000 percent of the daily value.
- Athlete-specific ingredients. Help ward off inflammation and boost joint and connective tissue health.
- Large tablets. Some customers compare them to horse pills.
Controlled Labs Orange Triad Supplement Facts (270 Tablets)
|Serving Size: 6 Tablets
Servings Per Container: 45
|Nutrient||Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value|
|Vitamin A (as Alpha and Beta Carotene)||500o IU||100%|
|Vitamin C (as Ascorbic Acid)||600 mg||1000%|
|Vitamin D (as Cholecalciferol)||2000 IU||500%|
|Vitamin E (as D-Alpha, D-Beta, D-Gamma, D-Delta Tocopherols and Tocotrienols)||20 IU||37%|
|Vitamin K (as Phytonadione)||120 mcg||150%|
|Thiamine (as Thiamine HCl)||30 mg||2000%|
|Niacin (as Inositol Hexanicotinate)||100 mg||500%|
|Vitamin B6 (as Pyridoxine)||30 mg||1500%|
|Folic Acid||400 mcg||100%|
|Vitamin B12 (as Methylcobalamin)||600 mcg||10000%|
|Pantothenic Acid (as Calcium-D-Pantothenate)||100 mg||1000%|
|Calcium (as Calcium Citrate, Calcium D-Glucarate, Dicalcium Phosphate)||150 mg||15%|
|Phosphorus (as Dicalcium Phosphate)||60 mg||6%|
|Iodine (as Potassium Iodine)||150 mcg||100%|
|Magnesium (as Magnesium Chelate)||100 mg||25%|
|Zinc (as Zinc Citrate)||30 mg||200%|
|Selenium (as Selenium Chelate)||100 mcg||143%|
|Copper (as Copper Chelate)||500 mcg||25%|
|Manganese (as Manganese Chelate)||3 mg||150%|
|Chromium (as Chromium Chelate)||25 mcg||21%|
|Molybdenum (as Molybdenum Chelate)||50 mcg||67%|
|Potassium (as Potassium Chloride)||50 mg||1%|
|Joint Complex ™||2,000 mg||**|
|Glucosamine Sulfate and Chondroitin Sulfate|
|Flex Complex™||1,550 mg||**|
|MSM (Methyl-sulfonyl-methane), Bromelain and Hyaluronic Acid|
|Digeston and Immune Complex™||1,275 mg||**|
|Echinacea Purpurea Herb Powder, Ginger Root Extract, Quercetin, R-Alpha Lipoic Acid, Giant Knotweed Root Extract, Bilberry Fruit Powder, Blueberry Fruit Extract, Pomegranate Fruit Extract, Grape Seed Extract, Raspberry Seed (fruit), Lycopene, Lutein|
|Vanadium (as Vanadium Citrate)||10 mcg||**|
|Boron (as Boron Citrate)||500 mcg||**|
|Other Ingredients: Stearic Acid, Magnesium Stearate, Croscarmellose Sodium, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Silicon Dioxide, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, and Polyethylene Glycol.|
|Initial (first serving) Directions: Start by taking 1 tablet to assess your individual tolerance. If you experience any unusual occurrence, stop and consult your doctor.
Directions for Regular Use: Take 3 tablets TWICE per day with meals. Take this product daily. Consume at least 1 gallon of water per day. For more details on optimizing your results, please see www.ControlledLabs.com.
Best Supplement for Serious Athletes
You need your multivitamins. Period.
Let us count the ways, folks:
- Ensure long-term health
- Get the recommended daily allowance (RDA) of different nutrients
- Fill nutrition gaps
- Preserve cellular efficiency
- Activate enzymes needed for optimum cellular function
Today’s multivitamins go the extra mile – they help you remain in an anabolic state, improve your joint health, and boost virility, to name a few.
On that note, there are a ton of multivitamins geared toward hard-training athletes. It’s hard to choose one when many of them exceed your expectations.
Let’s see if Controlled Labs Orange Triad can do that.
The manufacturer dubs this multivitamin the “Best Supplement for Serious Athletes,” per its official website.
The folks at Controlled Labs correctly point out years of hard training may take a serious toll on your body – you can compromise your immune system and recovery time.
Have no fear, Controlled Labs Orange Triad is here.
This supplement “combines the most proven and effective vitamins, minerals, and nutrients for supporting optimal digestion, immune system, and joint health into one ‘twice daily’ dietary supplement,” per its official website.
“Twice daily” here refers to the recommended dosage of two three-tablet servings daily.
That amounts to six tablets every day.
Most multivitamins require you to take just two to three daily. You need at least twice that amount to consume the daily values of the nutrients in Controlled Labs Orange Triad.
That also tells us one tablet of Controlled Labs Orange Triad is not as potent as the competition.
As usual, the first thing we look for in a multivitamin is the “All-Natural” or “ISO-Certified” label.
Unfortunately, we didn’t find any on Controlled Labs Orange Triad.
Watch out, folks: that could be a sign this product has synthetic ingredients. You never want those in your body.
Since this product is meant for the serious athlete, the first ingredients which caught our attention are the Vitamin C and Vitamin B content.
These two vitamin groups are vital for impeccable heart health. A healthy heart means everything to the serious athlete.
Among the multivitamins we’ve sized up, Dr. Jim Stoppani’s JYM Vita JYM sets the standard (with an awesome 100 milligrams of each B Vitamin).
Let’s see how Controlled Labs Orange Triad stacks up against JYM Vita JYM, folks:
|JYM Pro JYM||Controlled Labs Orange Triad|
|Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C)||250 mg||600 mg|
|Thiamin (Vitamin B1)||100 mg||30 mg|
|Riboflavin (Vitamin B2)||100 mg||30 mg|
|Niacin (Vitamin B3)||100 mg||100 mg|
|Pantothenic Acid (Vitamin B5)||100 mg||100 mg|
|Pyridoxine (Vitamin B6)||100 mg||30 mg|
We agree with Dr. Stoppani: hard-training athletes need higher doses of B Vitamins because of their cardiovascular health and energy-boosting benefits.
You can see Controlled Labs Orange Triad’s B Vitamin content pales in comparison to JYM Vita JYM’s. However, the former has more than twice the latter’s ascorbic acid content.
The takeaway: Controlled Labs Orange Triad isn’t as effective as other top-notch multivitamins in terms of B Vitamin benefits (despite the former’s mega doses of B Vitamins).
On the bright side, its impressive Vitamin C content (an awesome 1,000 percent of the daily value) can help you ward off the common cold and nasty free radicals (don’t forget ascorbic acid is a potent antioxidant).
Plus, ascorbic acid is also great for regulating blood pressure levels and maintaining good heart health.
On the other hand, Controlled Labs Orange Triad’s Vitamin D content (2,000 IU per serving at 500 percent of the daily value) impressed us.
To put things in proper perspective, JYM Vita JYM has zero Vitamin D content.
Another fierce competitor, Optimum Nutrition OPTI-MEN, lags behind at 375 percent of the daily value.
Just so you know, Vitamin D helps regulate the cardiovascular, immune, and nervous systems.
It’s also critical for good bone health.
If you’re an athlete, you know these things take priority. Be glad Controlled Labs Orange Triad has awesome Vitamin D content.
The good thing about this product is it doesn’t overlook important nutrients. Check them out and their benefits for athletes:
- Vitamin K (120 mcg, 150 percent of the daily value): Helps strengthen bones
- Iodine (as potassium iodine) (150 mcg, 100 percent of the daily value): Helps regulate thyroid function
- Copper (as copper chelate) (500 mcg, 25 percent of the daily value): Helps increase energy levels
- Chromium (as chromium chelate) (25 mcg, 21 percent of the daily value): Helps improve insulin function
We’re stoked they’re in Controlled Labs Orange Triad.
This multivitamin’s selling points are its Joint Complex (two grams per six-tablet serving), Flex Complex (1.55 grams per six-tablet serving), and Digestion and Immune Complex (1.275 grams per six-tablet serving).
“The Joint and Flex Complexes help lubricate joints and cartilage as well as increase the resiliency of connective tissue,” per the manufacturer’s official website.
“The Digestion and Immune Complex includes natural anti-inflammatories, digestive aids, and nutrient-partitioning agents to take your performance to the next level,” per the same source.
We think these inclusions are fantastic. They make Controlled Labs Orange Triad more comprehensive.
Stop and think about their benefits: healthier joints and cartilages plus less inflammation equals one well-conditioned athlete.
On the flip side, these complexes are also shady proprietary blends.
The folks at Controlled Labs reveal the entire complex amount but don’t break down the individual ingredient amounts.
Despite these flaws, Controlled Labs Orange Triad is shaping up to be a competent multivitamin for any hard-training athlete.
Let’s check out the formula ingredients:
- Vitamin A (as alpha and beta carotene), 5,000 IU: A vitamin best known for its eye health benefits. Unknown to many, Vitamin A also helps repair and grow muscles.
- Vitamin C (as ascorbic acid), 600 mg: A popular vitamin known for its ability to keep the common cold at bay. Ascorbic acid also acts as a potent antioxidant, regulates blood pressure levels, and boosts heart health. Controlled Labs Orange Triad’s 1,000 percent of the daily value (anything more than 15 percent is high) trumps those of several competitors.
- Vitamin D (as cholecalciferol), 2,000 IU: If you’re getting insufficient sunlight, Controlled Labs Orange Triad’s 500 percent of the daily value for Vitamin D ought to help. Note this much Vitamin D is one of the more impressive ones among multivitamins.
- Vitamin E (as d-alpha, d-beta, d-gamma, d-delta tocopherols and tocotrienols), 20 IU: A little-known secret, folks: Vitamin E also assists in muscular recovery. It also wards off free radicals and regulates the immune system. Unfortunately, this product’s Vitamin E content (37 percent of the daily value) lags behind other competitors.
- Vitamin K (as phytonadione), 120 mcg: An overlooked vitamin which assists in blood clots, strengthens bones, and boosts heart health.
- Thiamine (as thiamine HCl), 30 mg: Also known as Vitamin B1, thiamine helps increase energy levels and improve cardiovascular health. Controlled Labs Orange Triad can do that for you at a whopping 2,000 percent of the daily value for Vitamin B1.
- Riboflavin, 30 mg: Also known as Vitamin B2, this ingredient helps regulate the immune and digestive systems. Riboflavin also helps ramp up energy levels. If this multivitamin’s incredible 1,765 percent of the daily value for riboflavin doesn’t do the trick, nothing will.
- Niacin (as inositol hexanicotinate), 100 mg: This ingredient is more commonly known as Vitamin B3. It helps boost heart health and improve joint mobility. Take extra caution, folks: some individuals may experience niacin flushing (a tingling sensation in the face and neck areas) if they take this vitamin in high doses.
- Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine), 30 mg: Pyridoxine helps keep homocysteine levels in check for better heart health. Better yet, this vitamin helps regulate sleep cycles to shorten your recovery time. Awesome, huh?
- Folic acid, 400 mcg: Simply known as Vitamin B9, this ingredient helps regulate cholesterol levels and boost heart health.
- Vitamin B12 (as methylcobalamin), 600 mcg: A vitamin which helps increase energy levels and improve cardiovascular health – two critical benefits for athletes. Controlled Labs Orange Triad’s insane 10,000 percent of the daily value for Vitamin B12 is easily one of the most among multivitamins. Awesome.
- Biotin, 300 mcg: Also known as Vitamin B7, this ingredient is sure to improve your hair, skin, and nail health. Plus, biotin helps repair muscle tissue and ward off inflammation.
- Pantothenic acid (as calcium-d-pantothenate), 100 mg: Also known as Vitamin B5, this ingredient helps increase stamina and keep fatigue at bay. Controlled Labs Orange Triad’s awesome 1,000 percent of the daily value for pantothenic acid should help you work out longer and harder.
- Calcium (as calcium citrate, calcium-d-glucarate, dicalcium phosphate), 150 mg: A mineral which helps regulate blood pressure levels, strengthen bones, and boost dental health.
- Phosphorus (as dicalcium phosphate), 60 mg: The good news: some fitness experts believe this mineral can help ramp up endurance levels. The bad news: this multivitamin is barely a significant source of phosphorus at just six percent of the daily value (anything less than five percent is low).
- Iodine (as potassium iodine), 150 mcg: Like we said, iodine helps regulate thyroid function. In addition, it also helps stop bacterial growth dead in its tracks.
- Magnesium (as magnesium chelate), 100 mg: This mineral helps ramp up energy levels, boost heart health, improve sleep quality, and regulate digestion.
- Zinc (as zinc citrate), 30 mg: A mineral which helps increase weight loss, regulate blood sugar levels, and keep free radicals at bay. However, zinc is best known for its ability to raise testosterone levels for increased muscle mass and strength and healthier sexual function.
- Selenium (as selenium chelate), 100 mcg: Helps regulate the immune system and ward off free radicals.
- Copper (as copper chelate), 500 mcg: A mineral which helps ramp up energy and human growth hormone (HGH) levels.
- Manganese (as manganese chelate), 3 mg: This mineral’s abilities to increase testosterone levels and form connective tissue are vital for any hard-training athlete.
- Chromium (as chromium chelate), 25 mcg: This mineral helps regulate insulin activity which complements the muscle growth and fat loss processes.
- Molybdenum (as molybdenum chelate), 50 mcg: A trace mineral which breaks down amino acids and increases energy levels.
- Potassium (as potassium chloride), 50 mg: A mineral which helps regulate blood pressure levels and improve heart health. However, Controlled Labs Orange Triad’s paltry one percent of the daily value for potassium is insignificant.
Joint Complex, 2,000 mg
- Glucosamine sulfate: An aminosaccharide which helps keep inflammation at bay and improve joint health.
- Chondroitin sulfate: A major cartilage component which helps boost joint tissue health.
Flex Complex, 1,550 mg
- MSM (methyl-sulfonyl-methane): A naturally-occurring sulfur compound which helps ward off inflammation and boost nutrient absorption.
- Bromelain: A digestive enzyme derived from pineapples which assists in protein breakdown. Bromelain also helps keep free radical activity in check.
- Hyaluronic acid: functions as a lubricant because of its ability to retain water.
Digestion and Immune Complex, 1,275 mg
- Echinacea purpurea herb powder: A North American coneflower which helps boost the immune system, keep free radicals at bay, and ward off inflammation.
- Ginger root extract: Also helps stop inflammatory and free radical activities dead in their tracks.
- Quercetin: A flavonoid which lowers inflammation, boost heart health, and increase endurance levels.
- R-alpha lipoic acid: A natural antioxidant which helps boost weight loss, regulate blood sugar levels, improve heart health, and stop inflammation dead in its tracks.
- Giant knotweed root extract: More commonly known as Japanese knotweed, this plant extract helps boost cognitive function, regulate blood pressure levels, boost cardiovascular health, and ward off free radicals.
- Bilberry fruit powder: A fruit best known for its ability to improve eyesight. It also helps lower oxidative stress and keep inflammation at bay.
- Blueberry fruit extract: One of the richest sources of antioxidants among fruits.
- Pomegranate fruit extract: A fruit which helps boost heart health and keep free radicals at bay.
- Grape seed extract: Helps strengthen bones, regulate cholesterol levels, regulate the immune system, and boost brain function.
- Raspberry seed (fruit): Helps boost weight loss and immunity. Raspberries also help ward off free radicals.
- Lycopene: A potent antioxidant which helps keep free radical activity at bay. Lycopene also improves eye and heart health.
- Lutein: A carotenoid and antioxidant which filters out UV light from the eyes.
The manufacturer says Controlled Labs Orange Triad is the “Best Supplement for Serious Athletes.”
We say it’s a good multivitamin, but it’s not the best we’ve seen for hard-training athletes.
For now, that distinction belongs to JYM Vita JYM.
Listen, folks: Controlled Labs Orange Triad is great in its own right:
- Amazing Vitamin C content (1,000 percent of the daily value)
- Insane Vitamin B12 content (10,000 percent of the daily value)
- Solid Vitamin D content (500 percent of the daily value)
Like we said, this supplement has one of the highest – if not the highest – Vitamin B12 content we’ve seen.
It’s Vitamin D content also trumps those of JYM Vita JYM and Optimum Nutrition OPTI-MEN.
That’s saying something.
We’re confident these mega doses of Vitamin C, Vitamin B12, and Vitamin D will help boost your heart health and energy levels.
Expect your athletic performance to soar.
Plus, we like the inclusions of underrated ingredients such as Vitamin K, iodine, chromium, and copper.
The most common themes among the ingredients are better heart health, lower inflammation, and protection against free radicals.
Plus, Controlled Labs Orange Triad has ingredients which help improve joint and connective tissue health.
Who wouldn’t want all those?
As an athlete, you will benefit immensely.
Many customers have also raved about this product. They swear by Controlled Labs Orange Triad.
Unfortunately, there are negatives.
The first one we saw was the absence of an “All-Natural” or “ISO-Certified” label.
It bears repeating: this could mean the product has synthetic ingredients. Beware.
Next up are the inclusions of several shady proprietary blends. No way you’d know if you’re underdosing or overdosing on a particular ingredient.
Another issue: customers gripe about the dosage (six tablets daily) and the size of the tablets. Some of them dub these as “horse pills.”
As a manufacturer, the last thing you want is to make it inconvenient for the consumer.
Controlled Labs Orange Triad Benefits
Controlled Labs Orange Triad has the following benefits, per its official website:
- Helps boost overall health
- Improves digestion and joint health
- Regulates the immune system
- Complements athletes’ training programs
We agree with these claims. While it’s not perfect, Controlled Labs Orange Triad is a potent multivitamin which should benefit many athletes.
Who Takes It?
Controlled Labs Orange Triad is intended for healthy and active individuals who are at least 18 years of age who want to improve their overall health, fill nutrition gaps, increase energy levels, ward off inflammation, shorten recovery time, and achieve their daily fitness goals.
Any Side Effects?
Even though Controlled Labs Orange Triad has no glaring side effects, please consult your physician if you feel doubtful about any of its ingredients.
The manufacturer also issues a warning:
Controlled Labs Orange Triad Summary
- Good ingredient combo. Geared toward serious athletes.
- Mega doses of B Vitamins. Helps increase energy levels and boost heart health.
- Insane Vitamin B12 content. At 10,000 percent of the daily value, it’s one of the highest among multivitamins.
- High Vitamin D content. Five hundred percent of the daily value beats some big-name competitors.
- Includes underrated ingredients. Vitamin K, iodine, chromium, and copper, to be specific.
- Joint and Flex Complexes. Help improve joint and connective tissue health.
- Digestion and Immune Complex. Helps ward off inflammation and regulate digestion.
- Good reputation. Many customers swear by it.
- Possible inclusion of synthetic ingredients. No “All-Natural” label. Warning label could be an indication as well.
- Proprietary blends. Manufacturer doesn’t divulge individual ingredient amounts of the three complexes. Boo.
- Inconvenient. Some customers consider consuming six large pills daily a chore.
Pricing & Buying Info
- 1 270-Tablet Bottle (45-Day Supply): $59.99
- Available online and in retail
Final Word on Controlled Labs Orange Triad
As a parting shot, Controlled Labs Orange Triad is a potent (albeit flawed) multivitamin for the hard-training athlete.
Mega doses of Vitamin B as well as anti-inflammatory, heart-healthy, and anti-free radical ingredients all add up.
There’s no question this multivitamin will help improve the serious athlete’s performance.
However, possible inclusion of synthetic ingredients, proprietary blends, and inconvenience issues pull its value down.
To conclude, we recommend you try (and maybe buy) Controlled Labs Orange Triad. If all else fails, there are other multivitamin brands you can buy.