Seriously, when was the last time an international protein powder supplement wowed us? Think about it.
Time’s up. We’re just as stumped as you are. It’s about time there be a major international player in the protein powder supplement game. We feel UK born MyProtein Impact Whey Protein could be it.
We gonna write all about it in this review, so listen up & check it:
About MyProtein Impact Whey Protein
Ladies and gentlemen: We present you MyProtein® Impact Whey Protein from the United Kingdom. It’s a highly-touted protein supplement which has taken North America by storm. The manufacturer bills it as “a quality-assured whey protein powder which delivers exceptional value for money with a remarkable nutritional profile.” Formula notes:
- Solid ingredient profile. Our first impression. Don’t disappoint us, please.
- Just 20 grams of protein? There could be more in them thar shakes.
- Low-calorie. A low-calorie muscle builder? Sounds too good to be real.
MyProtein Impact Whey Protein (Cookies n’ Cream, 5.5 lbs.) Supplement Facts
Serving Size: 1 scoop (25 g)
Servings Per Container: About 100
Amount Per Serving
|Calories from Fat||15|
|%Daily Value *|
|Total Fat||2 g 3%|
|Saturated Fat||1 g 5%|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Cholesterol||0 mg 0%|
|Sodium||35 mg 1 %|
|Total Carbohydrate||1 g 0%|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|
Ingredients: Whey Protein Concentrate, Natural and Artificial Flavoring, Soy Lecithin, Sucralose
Contains Milk & Soy (Lecithin) Ingredients
Directions for Impact Whey Protein: Mix 1 scoop (25 g) with 6-8 fl. oz. of water, milk, or your preferred beverage and consume immediately (Adjust liquid content to suit your preferred thickness). Consume approximately 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight per day. You can achieve this through a combination of high-protein foods and protein supplements. We recommend consuming your daily protein allotment over several small meals spread evenly throughout the day.
The UK’s Leading Protein is as Described, Though We’re Left Somewhat Hanging
Nobody can dispute the fact MyProtein® Impact Whey Protein is one of the cleanest protein shakes of its kind. Don’t believe us? It’s currently the fourth-best protein powder on Labdoor dot com. We all know how thorough those guys are when it comes to analyzing supplements. Trust us – they won’t rank MyProtein® Impact Whey Protein this high if they deem it as a potential threat to our health.
We like the fact the manufacturer included whey protein concentrate – a virtual staple in almost all protein powders. WPC, as it is fondly known, is a complete protein containing all 20 amino acids. It is also closest to the natural form of whey. MyProtein could’ve included whey protein isolate – a component which has a higher concentration of amino acids. Hence, it is more ideal for post-exercise consumption.
And get this: Just 20 grams of protein per scoop? C’mon. Maybe we’re being too harsh here. You can put 2 scoops of powder into your shakes.
But damn, this ain’t Raisin Bran.
Other players in the industry can leave this product dead in its tracks judging on protein content alone (check out MusclePharm® Combat 100% Whey, which has 25 grams of protein per scoop). Let’s be frank here: Many consumers want a high-protein powder supplement to feed and nourish their worn-out muscles.
Ideally, one should consume something like 20 to 25 grams of protein after a vigorous strength-training session. One scoop of MyProtein® Impact Whey Protein may suffice. Our only regret is other protein powders have more protein content.
MyProtein Impact Whey Protein comes in seven awesome flavors in the United States (per Bodybuilding.com):
- Chocolate Caramel – ideal for chocolate lovers who want dat sweet sweet candy taste in their protein shakes.
- Chocolate Mint – if you love chocolate with a minty kick to it, then this flavor is for you.
- Chocolate Smooth – this is the best choice for hardcore chocolate lovers to buy; classic chocolate taste.
- Cookies and Cream – perhaps the safest bet if you’re a finicky buyer. You can’t go wrong with this one.
- Strawberry Cream – another great choice for people with fruity taste buds.
- Vanilla – this, along with chocolate, is the most versatile flavor out there. You can mix it with just about any fruit or ingredient imaginable in your protein shake. The only downside is it is only available in the 5.5-lb. tub.
- Vanilla Raspberry – ever imagined chugging on a healthy version of milkshake after a gruelling workout? Try this one. However, it has the same downside as its Vanilla equivalent.
Our international counterparts have it better: They can purchase MyProtein® Impact Whey Protein in more than 50 incredible flavors (Tiramisu, White Chocolate, Mocha, Latte, Banana, Blueberry Cheesecake, to name a few). Some flavors are even sweetened with stevia. We think that is fantastic. MyProtein® Impact Whey Protein even has an unflavored version. (Or, out of deference to the Brits, shall we say… an unflavoured version…)
Let’s check out the other formula ingredients:
- Calories, 100: One scoop of MyProtein® Impact Whey Protein yields just 100 calories (15 of which are from fats). Awesome.
- Fats, 2 g: Dietary fat helps physically-active people in several ways – it helps regulate bloodflow and heartbeat, among other things. Saturated fats – which help boost the cardiovascular system, liver, and lungs – comprise just one gram per scoop. Here’s what we like: MyProtein® Impact Whey Protein has zero trans fats – the one kind of fatty acid you want to steer clear of.
- Cholesterol, 0 g: This product is an excellent choice in this regard. It will not raise your overall cholesterol levels.
- Sodium, 35 g: You need a certain amount of sodium to prevent muscle cramps. We say this is just about enough.
- Carbohydrates, 1 g: The carb content – all of which is sugar – is pretty much non-existent. You don’t have to fret about putting on excess weight because of too much sugar. This one’s a safe bet.
We’re not going to say the ingredient choices for MyProtein® Impact Whey Protein are the best in the industry. If you’re a regular at a supplement store, you know for a fact protein powders have the same ingredients – protein, fats, cholesterol, sodium, and some carbohydrates. This product is no exception.
The dosages are very good, especially if your main goal is to replenish your muscles after exercising. As previously mentioned, MyProtein® Impact Whey Protein could have had a slightly higher protein content. But hey, if other products such as MuscleTech® Premium Whey Protein only have 20 grams of protein per scoop and be top sellers, why can’t this one? Twenty grams of protein per scoop can be a good or bad thing, depending on how the consumer sees it.
MyProtein® Impact Whey Protein has good potency because the manufacturer uses premium ingredients. This is also a low-calorie supplement – it bodes well for individuals who want to add lean muscle mass. Those who want to add more bulk may be better off by consuming more whole foods.
To top everything off, you get 15 percent of the daily value required for calcium. Not only will your muscles thank you for consuming MyProtein® Impact Whey Protein, but your bones will, too. Good stuff.
On the other hand, MyProtein® claims “Impact Protein also offers 4.5 grams of BCAAs and 3.6g of Glutamine per serving” on its website. Where were these in the ingredient profile? Last time we checked, we couldn’t find them. A proprietary blend. Uh-oh.
Okay, so now we have two gripes about this supplement: a relatively low protein content and several proprietary blends. Why did MyProtein have to conceal two top-notch bodybuilding ingredients (BCAAs and glutamine)? This one’s a head-scratcher, but so easy to correct and improve.
MyProtein Impact Whey Protein Benefits
The main benefit you’ll get from MyProtein® Impact Whey Protein is muscle growth and repair. If you size up the formula ingredients very carefully, protein is the main macronutrient star of this product. More precisely, it is a low-calorie, low-carbohydrate, and zero-cholesterol protein supplement. Simply put, if you want your protein fix, this is the way to go.
You’ll also benefit immensely from the additional BCAA and glutamine content (although the manufacturer concealed them). Protein + BCAAs + glutamine = maximum recovery.
MyProtein® also says, “At just 103 calories per serving, Impact Whey Protein is an ideal companion for supporting a range of athletes, whether amateur, intermediate, or expert.” We agree with this assessment wholeheartedly.
Who Takes It?
According to the manufacturer, “Impact Whey Protein is suitable for any individual who is active, looking to meet their daily individual protein requirements. Whether you are an athlete or a recreational cross-fitter, protein is an integral component of everyone’s diet regimen due to its master role in muscle growth and repair.” That just about sums it up. There’s nothing remarkable really, just solid performance oriented protein. Customer reviews look pretty good, and seem to agree with MyProtein’s claims… although they might be shills.
Any Side Effects?
MyProtein® Impact Whey Protein seems to present no side effects. The warning on the product label simply says, “Keep out of the reach of children.”
Of course, just like any protein supplement, be careful if you have a kidney issue. Best to consult with your physician before taking any protein powder product.
Supplement Name Summary
- Good product for muscle-building. As described.
- Good dosages. Product really geared toward muscle repair.
- Low-calorie. Just 100 calories per scoop.
- High calcium content. Good for the bones.
- Comes in many different flavors. Lots of variety, sound tasty in reviews.
- Reasonable price. Both the 2.2-lb. and 5.5-lb. tubs are good deals
- 20 grams of protein. Nowhere near the highest (nor the lowest, in truth) protein-per-scoop you can get. Some people are fine with less.
- Proprietary blend. No indication of BCAA and glutamine content.
- No whey protein isolate. Could have made it more versatile and improved the protein profile had they included it.
Pricing & Buying Info
- 2.2-lb. container (1 kg) (40-Day Supply): $29.99
- 5.5-lb. tub (2.5 kg)(90-Day Supply): $54.99
- Available online and in retail
- Available on Amazon Prime with prices in range of .03 per gram
Final Word on MyProtein® Impact Whey Protein
If you’re looking for a top-notch protein powder supplement with clean ingredients, then by all means, don’t hesitate to make MyProtein® Impact Whey Protein your go-to source. It is low in calories, has good dosages, and has many varieties – all for a reasonable price.
The major downsides include the 20-gram protein content and inclusion of proprietary blends (we love BCAAs and glutamine, but the manufacturer could’ve been more transparent).
To sum everything up, the pros far outweigh the cons. MyProtein® Impact Whey Protein can help you live a fit lifestyle, so yup, they get a good grade for the effort.