The world of fat burning supplements can seem overwhelming if you’re just starting your weight loss journey. In this Best Fat Burners for Beginners guide, we’re going to cover the best ingredients for supporting fat burning that are effective and beginner-friendly. These ingredients are proven to incinerate fat and they are ideal for those just starting out with fat-burning supplements.
Table of Contents
Quick List: Best Fat Burners for Beginners
The best fat burners for beginners are an ideal combination of scientifically-proven ingredients and a dosage level that is strong but not so much so that it causes jitters or other side effects. We’ll dive more into this later, but for now here is a quick list of the Best Fat Burners for Beginners:
|#1. Performance Lab SPORT Fat Burner – A top-notch fat burner that gets recognition time and time again, Performance Lab SPORT fat burner is a stimulant-free supplement with the research to back it up. Performance Lab website
|#2. Instant Knockout – Made with MMA fighters in mind, Instant Knockout is a great fat burner for beginners as it suppresses appetite and safely increases energy levels. Instant Knockout website
|#3. Hourglass – For women looking for a tried-and-true fat burner, nothing beats Hourglass. This unique fat-burning formula helps to slim and tone while keeping those hunger pangs away. Hourglass website
|#4. Slimvance Stimulant-Free – This GNC-based supplement is far from all talk. Third-party tested, Slimvance has been shown in a clinical setting to increase fat burning and result in successful weight loss without the use of stimulants. Slimvance website
|#5. Shred JYM – Researched and created by doctor and long-time fitness trainer, Dr. Jim Stoppani, Shred JYM contains the ingredients and dosages you need for serious fat burning. Shred JYM Website
Or, read on to learn about the Best Fat Burners for Beginners.
Guide to What Beginners Should Look for in a Fat Burner
Before we jump into the most effective fat-burning ingredients and supplements, let’s discuss what every person who is new to supplements needs to look for when buying a fat burner in 2018.
To achieve the best fat-burning results, supplement beginners should look for supplements that provide the following:
- Research-Backed Benefits: The best fat burners for beginners will contain ingredients that have been shown to have promising results from clinical trials. Some of the best ways to find this research is through government-sponsored websites such as NCBI or a simple Google search.
- Additive-Free: When buying a fat burner, take a look at the label. Do you see a long list of tough-to-pronounce compounds under the heading “other ingredients?” Try to avoid artificial coloring, preservatives, and fillers when buying fat-burning supplements.
- Proper Dosage Levels: It’s not enough to have the best fat-burning ingredients; if you want to see results, you’ll also need a properly-dosed supplement. Take a look at the label and be wary of supplements that use a proprietary blend, which doesn’t tell you how much of each ingredient was used.
- Stimulant-Free: Most fat-burners are stimulant-based, which means they are going to contain ingredients such as caffeine and yohimbine that can raise blood pressure and increase anxiousness in some people. Most of the time, these stimulants are harmless, but if you have a sensitivity to stimulants or you just want to access your tolerance, go with a stimulant-free fat burner.
- Premium Quality: Top-shelf ingredients like branded and patented forms tend to be better tolerated and more effective — helping beginners to stay on track and see results that keep them on their weight loss journey.
What Ingredients Should People look for in the Best Fat Burners for Beginners?
Now that you know what to look for in a fat burner, let’s review ingredients in diet pills that have been shown in scientific studies to support fat burning and overall weight loss.
Green Tea Extract
The power of green tea has been known for thousands of years, but only recently has science caught up. Green tea extract contains a compound called epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), which is an incredibly strong antioxidant thought to be the source of many of the benefits of green tea.
- Aside from supporting your cardiovascular health, studies show that green tea extract can also trigger fat loss by increasing your metabolic response or rate of calorie burning. The more calories you burn, the more fat you lose.
Green Tea Extract is available in powder and capsule form, but most commonly found alongside the other ingredients on this list. Green tea extract can also be found in caffeinated and decaffeinated form, depending on your preference.
Cayenne Pepper Extract
Within the same spicy peppers or seasoning that you put on food, there is a compound called capsaicin. Not only does capsaicin give cayenne peppers their intensely hot taste, but it is also a potent fat-burning extract. This stimulant-free fat burner is one of the most popular supplement ingredients for weight loss. Capsaicin has been shown to suppress your appetite, helping you feel fuller longer while avoiding hunger pangs.
Capsaicin has also been proven to spike your natural metabolism. As we mentioned above, an increased rate of caloric expenditure is key to fat loss.
- Capsimax® is the most bioavailable form of capsaicin thanks to its microbeadlet technology, which boosts absorption and protects your stomach from cayenne “burning” side effects. More importantly, Capsimax® is standardized to 2% capsaicinoids, and it’s been used in many of the cited studies that prove its benefits.
Coleus forskohlii, a member of the mint family, is native to regions in Thailand and Nepal. Coleus forskohlii has long been used as a health and wellness aid in traditional medicine, but modern science has discovered that within this plant, there is a compound called forskolin. The source behind the weight loss benefits, forskolin helps you burn more fat in a few ways:
First, it boosts your body’s production of cyclic adenosine monophosphate (cAMP), which then triggers the usage of stored fat as an energy source. Forskolin has also been suggested to increase your natural metabolic rate, helping you to burn more calories throughout the day. Best of all, forskolin is an ideal fat burner for beginners because it’s stimulant-free.
- Forslean® is the ideal brand to use as it has been standardized to 20% forskolin. Like Capsimax, Forslean® has been used in several scientific studies and it’s raved about on weight loss forums.
HMB is a derivative of the muscle-building and anti-catabolic amino acid, leucine. HMB is often used when bodybuilders are going through a cutting phase or when they want to become as lean and defined as possible. This always follows a bulking phase when the goal is to become as big as possible.
Cutting, like weight loss, requires a lower calorie diet as well as an increase in exercise. If you eat too few calories and exercise too much, you put yourself at risk for muscle catabolism or losing muscle, not fat. This is where HMB can help.
This stimulant-free fat burner has been shown to increase metabolic rate, helping to burn more calories and fat, while protecting your hard-earned muscle tissue from protein breakdown or catabolism.
- HMB (ß-Hydroxy ß-Methylbutyrate) can be used by anyone who wants to lose weight and gain muscle at the same time. While there is no preferred brand, it’s important to make sure that your HMB supplement contains a three-gram dosage per serving as this was the same amount used in clinical studies.
How your body digests nutrients plays an important role in whether or not you gain, hold, or lose weight. Chromium is an essential nutrient that helps with a variety of processes in the human body especially when it comes to weight loss. In particular, chromium picolinate assists with the production and utilization of insulin, a hormone that is responsible for making sure glucose gets used or stored.
When you want to lose fat, you’ll want glucose to be used up. Chromium picolinate has been shown to promote glucose metabolism, or the usage of glucose as energy. Studies show that when used as a part of a consistent exercise and diet program, chromium picolinate can support fat burning and a healthy weight loss.
- Chromium is a stimulant-free fat burner that is great on its own, but far better when taken as a fat-burning stack. Regardless of whether or not you use it as a stand-alone supplement or as a stack, check the label and make sure each serving provides at least 1,000 mg (1 gram).
Green Coffee Extract
For coffee lovers out there, did you know that coffee beans aren’t naturally brown? Before the coffee you love gets that roasted shade of brown, they are green. It’s the roasting process that turns them brown and increases caffeine content.
Green coffee beans contain high levels of a compound called chlorogenic acid (CGA), and it’s this extract that has been getting plenty of attention in the world of weight loss. Once you roast the beans, the levels of CGA decrease, which is why keeping your coffee green is important for fat loss.
Chlorogenic acid has been shown to increase the usage of fatty acids for energy production. The more our muscles and cells use fatty acids for energy, the greater the rate of fat loss. Much like chromium, CGA has also been shown to promote glucose metabolism, or using glucose for energy.
- Green coffee bean extract should contain at least 20% of chlorogenic acid (CGA), which can easily be confirmed by taking a look at the supplement label. Green coffee bean contains naturally low levels of caffeine – only 20 mg compared to the 200 mg dose of a cup of coffee – but you can also find a decaffeinated version, if you’re sensitive to stimulants.
Speaking of coffee: What’s the reason that most people drink one or two cups of coffee in order to start their day? The answer is caffeine. Caffeine is the most widely-consumed psychoactive drug in the entire world. Whether through coffee, tea, or supplements, people love caffeine due to its energy-boosting and nootropic (brain boosting) benefits. But caffeine can do more than increase your energy levels.
Caffeine is a tried-and-true weight loss ingredient. It has been shown to suppress your appetite, increase your metabolism, block fat from being stored, and support overall weight loss.
This Asian fruit has a thick rind that supplies an active weight loss ingredient called Hydroxycitric Acid (HCA). It is believed to work by blocking the storage of fat, supporting the breakdown and metabolism fat, and potentially by helping with appetite balance.
For beginners, Garcinia is a good stim-free, well-tolerated fat burner with broad reaching weight loss bioactivities that help produce motivational results.
Bioperine® Black Pepper Extract
Finally, we have black pepper extract, or rather an extract found within called piperine. This ingredient is found within nearly every type of supplement, especially fat burners. Why? Promising research suggests that piperine may help to increase how you metabolism nutrients, improving the rate of bioavailability.
One study found it increased bioavailability up to 3,000%! Since piperine helps to enhance the digestion and usage of nutrients, it can help to turn a normal fat burner into a super-charged fat-burning supplement. When buying a fat burner for beginner, make sure that you see piperine on the ingredient list.
- Bioperine® is the ideal brand to use since it has been standardized for 95% piperine, ensuring a high level of potency and effectiveness.
How Best 5 Supplements Rates and Ranks the Best Fat Burners for Beginners
For general information on purchasing high-quality supplements, please check out the Best 5 How to Buy a Good Supplement guide. In terms of the best fat burners for beginners, here are the criteria we used in our ratings:
- Research – We look for human-based studies that demonstrate real results while being safe with no side effects
- Quality – We don’t accept low-grade fat-burning supplements so we focus on premium ingredients that work
- Healthy – Effectiveness isn’t enough; our preferred fat burners must also support your health, not take away from it
- Cleanliness – Clean supplements are a must; we only choose ones that are free of fillers, artificial colors, synthetics or preservatives
- Combinations – Single ingredients are okay, but we prefer solid and strong blends with a proven background
- Service – We always find brands that provide a good return policy, shipping, and strong customer support
- Value – Finally, we always ask ourselves, “Does this supplement have real value?” – In other words, we make sure you are getting what you pay for every time
We also consider which companies have a strong online presence and good reputation. These manufacturers stand behind their products.
Best Fat Burners for Beginners
#1: Performance Lab SPORT Fat Burner
Performance Lab SPORT Fat Burner is an ideal fat burner for beginners. It’s stimulant-free, allowing you to test your tolerance to fat-burning supplements with a scientifically-formulated and clean-label product. Combined with a healthy diet and consistent exercise program, Performance Lab SPORT fat burner is an excellent way to support fat-burning for those who are not familiar with weight loss supplements.
Performance Lab SPORT Fat Burner Summary
|Ingredients: Coleus Forskohlii (Forslean®) 250 mg, HMB (ß-Hydroxy ß-Methylbutyrate) 1000 mg, Cayenne Pepper Extract (Capsimax®) 50 mg, Black Pepper Extract (BioPerine®) 2.5 mg
|Clean Label: Yes. Vegan friendly, stim-free, synthetic additive-free, soy-free, gluten-free, allergen-free. No synthetic colors, additives or preservatives.
|Advanced Delivery: Yes. Natural, vegan, prebiotic-infused Plantcaps® (tapioca)
|Price: $50, one-month supply
|Any Deals? Yes, $95 for 2 boxes, $135 for 3 Boxes
|Service: 24/7 support, get a reply in 30 minutes, 30-day money-back guarantee
|Official Website: www.performancelab.com
|Read our in-depth Performance Lab SPORT Fat Burner review
#2: Instant Knockout
Instant Knockout is a strong thermogenic with an array of proven yet safe stimulants backing it up. You’ll enjoy the fat burning power of many of the ingredients we mentioned above as well as a few others that will kickstart fat loss. Despite its intense formula, Instant Knockout is still a safe fat burner for beginners. It provides a nice introduction to stimulant-based fat burners to help you achieve results.
Instant Knockout Summary
|Full ingredient list: Vitamin B6 5 mg, Vitamin B12 10 mcg, Zinc 10 mg, GTF Chromium 100 mcg,Green Tea Extract 500 mg,Green Coffee Extract ( 100 mg, Cayenne Powder 100 mg, Glucomannan 1800 mg,Caffeine Anhydrous 300 mg,Black Pepper Extract 10 mg.
|Clean Label: No. Contains Gelatin, Silicon dioxide, titanium dioxide, magnesium stearate, FD&C Red 40.
|Advanced Delivery: Yes. Uses black pepper extract for better bioavailability.
|Stimulant Free: No. Contains caffeine.
|Price: 1 bottle (1 month): $59
|Any Deals? 2 bottles plus free delivery to USA and UK: $118
|Service: 90-Day “Iron Clad” money-back product guarantee
|Official Website: www.instantknockout.com
|Read our in-depth Instant Knockout review
Hourglass is a very potent fat burner that is made for women who have no prior experience with thermogenic supplements. If you want to get lean, build lean muscle, and still have that curvy shape, Hourglass is the fat burner for you. Like all of our Best 5 Fat Burners for Beginners, Hourglass is packed with many of the ingredients on our list such as Capsimax® and green tea extract. If you’ve been hesitant to try a fat burner, let Hourglass show you how effective thermogenic can be for results.
|Full ingredient list: Vitamin D3 1000 IU, Vitamin B6 4 mg, Vitamin B12 10 mcg,
Chromium 125 mcg, Glucomannan 1500 mg, Green Tea Extract 500 mg, Cayenne Pepper Extract (as Capsimax®)100 mg, Guarana 100 mg, Black Pepper Extract (as Bioperine®) 5 mg
|Clean Label: Yes and no. Contains gelatin so it’s not vegan friendly, but it contains no synthetic colors, additives or preservatives.
|Advanced Delivery: Yes. Uses Bioperine®.
|Stimulant Free: No. Contains green tea and guarana.
|Price: $50 for 150 capsules (one-month supply)
|Any Deals? Yes, $150 for 3-month supply (3 Boxes) +1 FREE BOX and free worldwide shipping
|Service: 60-day money-back guarantee
|Official Website: www.hourglassfit.com
|Read our in-depth Hourglass review
#4: Slimvance Stimulant-Free
Slimvance Stimulant-Free might be free of caffeine and other stimulants, but it’s backed by proven science. With a strong foundation in Ayurvedic herbs, Slimvance Stimulant-Free has not one, but two human-based studies to back up its effectiveness for fat burning. Shown to support fat loss on the scale and inches, Slimvance Stimulant-Free is a highly reliable fat burner for beginners.
Slimvance Stimulant-Free Summary
|Full ingredient list: Slimvance® Patented Blend 450 mg: Moringa oleifera leaf extract, Murraya koenigii leaf extract, curcuma longa root extract (Curcuminoids = 31.5 mg)
|Clean Label: No. Titanium Dioxide (Mineral Whitener) and artificial colors (FD&C Red #3, FD&C Yellow #6).
|Advanced Delivery: No. Not vegan-friendly.
|Stimulant Free: Yes. All natural, stim-free formula.
|Price: $59.99 for 60 capsules (60 servings, a 30-day supply)
|Any Deals? Yes. Buy 1, get 50% off a second bottle (might be a limited time offer).
|Service: Since it is sold at GNC, you get GNC customer support.
|Official Website: www.slimvance.com
|Read our in-depth Slimvance Stimulant-Free review
#5: Shred JYM
Shred JYM is the immensely popular, proven, and respected fat-burning supplement from Dr. Jim Stoppani. Appearing on high-profile websites such as Bodybuilding.com, Dr. Stoppani knows his stuff. Sick of the low-grade and under-dosed supplements on the market, he created his own: Shred JYM is his answer for next-level fat burning. Boasting a three-stage stack of the most proven thermogenics, Shred JYM is an effective yet safe fat burner that is ideal for beginners.
Shred JYM Summary
|Full ingredient list: Acetyl-L-Carnitine HCI 1.5 g, L-Tyrosine 500 mg, Green Tea Leaf Extract 500 mg, Caffeine Anhydrous 200 mg, Cayenne Pepper Fruit extract (Capsimax®) 50 mg, Synephrine – Advantra-Z®) 20 mg
|Clean Label: Yes and no. Contains gelatin so it’s not vegan friendly, but it contains no synthetic colors, additives or preservatives.
|Advanced Delivery: No.
|Stimulant Free: No. Contains caffeine and green tea.
|Price: 240 Capsules (60 Servings) for $35.46
|Any Deals? Maybe. Bodybuilding constantly has buy-one-get-one half off deals so keep checking the website.
|Service: 24/7 support, 30-day money-back guarantee
|Official Website: www.bodybuilding.com
|Read our in-depth Shred JYM review
Best Fat Burners for Beginners Conclusion
When you are first discovering fat burners (and supplements in general), you are hit with a tidal wave of options. Fat burners can help you achieve your goals of weight loss, cutting, and lean muscle building, but you have to know what to look for. The best fat burners for beginners are transparent; you know what you’re getting from the moment you pick up the bottle.
- The 5 Best Fat Burners for Beginners discussed in this guide are easy-to-understand and easy-to-use for those who have never picked up a supplement bottle before.
Not only are these fat burners effective and proven by science, but they are also safe and free of the side effects often associated with fat burners and thermogenics geared toward those with previous experience. Give one of the Best 5 fat burners for beginners a try; you can choose from stimulant-based and stimulant-free.
Either way, you’re sure to find a fat burner that provides real results that get you off to a good start on your weight loss journey.