If you want a comprehensive pre-workout formula, MYOGENIX HYPERSHOCK is right up your alley. Few competitors can measure up to its insane ingredient amounts, as you’ll find out in this review.
About MYOGENIX HYPERSHOCK
MYOGENIX HYPERSHOCK is “The Most Comprehensive Pre-Workout Formula on the Market” and “a fully-loaded concentrate with nearly 14,000 mg of active ingredients designed to target the four critical elements of nutrient loading before a workout: muscle growth, endurance, explosive strength, mental stamina,” per its official website. Formula notes:
- Comprehensive pre-workout formula. Manufacturer wasn’t kidding.
- Insane vitamin B6 and vitamin B12 amounts. Combined 5,250 percent of the daily value.
- Poor transparency and fillers. Product’s biggest chinks.
MYOGENIX HYPERSHOCK Supplement Facts (Berry Fusion, 453 grams)
|Serving Size: 1 Scoop (23 g)
Servings Per Container: 20
|Nutrient||Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value|
|Total Carbohydrate||6 g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g||0%|
|Vitamin C (As Ascorbic Acid)||500 mg||833%|
|Vitamin B6 (As Pyridoxine Hydrochloride)||30 mg||1,500%|
|Folate (As Folic Acid)||500 mcg||125%|
|Vitamin B12 (As Cyanocobalamin)||225 mcg||3,750%|
|BCAAs (Branched Chain Amino Acids)||3,300 mg||**|
|Leucine, Isoleucine, Valine|
|L-Citrulline (99% Pure)||3,000 mg||**|
|Micronized Creatine Monohydrate, Betaine Anhydrous, MagnaPower™ (Magnesium Creatine Chelate)|
|CarnoSyn® (Beta-Alanine)||1,500 mg||**|
|NitroPep™ from Whey Hydrolysate||1,300 mg||**|
|Glutamic Acid, Aspartic Acid, Lysine, Threonine, Proline, Alanine, Serine, Phenylalanine, Cysteine, Arginine, Methionine, Glycine, Histidine, Tryptophan|
|Explosive Energy Formula||460 mg||**|
|Caffeine Anhydrous & Sustained Release Caffeine, Rhodiola Rosea Extract 5%, Naringin, L-Theanine|
|Other Ingredients: Cane Sugar, Whey Protein Hydrolysate, Fructose, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Citric Acid, Silicon Dioxide, Tricalcium Phosphate, Calcium Silicate, Sucralose, Dipotassium Phosphate, Monosodium Phosphate, Magnesium Oxide, Cellulose Gum, Fruit and Vegetable Juice (for Color), Xanthan Gum, FD&C Red 40, Carrageenan.|
|Directions: As a dietary supplement, mix one serving (1 scoop/23 g) with 8-12 oz. of water and consume on an empty stomach, prior to exercising. To assess your tolerance, start with 1/2 the recommended serving size (1/2 scoop) for the first few workouts.|
The Most Comprehensive Pre-Workout Formula on the Planet
There are times when you need a good pick-me-up prior to a hard workout. A cup of Joe will suffice. However, a good pre-workout supplement can do more (on that note, check out our list of the best pre-workout products on the market).
We’ve seen some impressive pre-workouts. Here are some of those which have stood out so far:
- 4 Gauge
- ALTIUS by Jacked Factory
- Bucked Up by DAS LABS
- PULSE by Legion
- Juggernaut X by INFINITE LABS
We’re sure you’ll agree with us. These bodybuilding pre-workouts pack a serious wallop, to say the least. We’re hoping MYOGENIX HYPERSHOCK can also help you crank out more reps at the gym.
The manufacturer dubs this supplement its “Extreme Pre-Workout” and “The Most Comprehensive Pre-Workout Formula on the Market.” Judging by its impressive array of ingredients, we say it’s one legit marketing tagline.
The company’s website also says,”HYPERSHOCK is a fully-loaded concentrate with nearly 14,000 mg of active ingredients designed to target the four critical elements of nutrient loading before a workout: muscle growth, endurance, explosive strength, mental stamina.”
That’s flat-out impressive. Whenever a post-workout covers all the bases, the higher your chances of conquering your workouts on a consistent basis. Our first impression: MYOGENIX HYPERSHOCK seems to fit the bill perfectly.
BCAAs (Branched-Chain Amino Acids): Leucine, Isoleucine, Valine; 3,300 milligrams
Consider it a huge bonus whenever your pre-workout supplement has branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs).
Let’s break down their impressive benefits:
- Increase muscle protein synthesis
- Boost fat loss
- Support hormone balance during intense exercise
- May ramp up strength levels
- Ward off fatigue
- Keep muscle soreness and muscle loss at bay
- Improve insulin sensitivity
You can clearly see BCAAs cover the crucial elements of nutrient loading which the manufacturer described. Long story short, BCAAs help your body remain in an anabolic state in and out of the gym. They are an invaluable part of any supplement stack.
We like their inclusion in MYOGENIX HYPERSHOCK. The amount (3.3 grams per 23-gram scoop) is solid for a pre-workout. Unfortunately, the manufacturer doesn’t break down the individual amounts of each BCAA. We give this shady proprietary blend a huge thumbs down.
Assuming this product follows the typical 2:1:1 BCAA ratio, it comes down to roughly 1.65 grams of l-leucine and 825 grams each of l-isoleucine and l-valine per serving. That much should go a long way.
L-Citrulline (99 Percent Pure), 3,000 milligrams
MYOGENIX HYPERSHOCK has a decent three grams of l-citrulline per serving. This is a non-essential amino acid and precursor of nitric oxide.
This means l-citrulline is a powerful vasodilator. In fact, the Gatoride Sports Science Institute’s official website says, “L-citrulline supplementation may enable a higher level of extracellular l-arginine and enhanced N.O. (nitric oxide) availability.”
When you consume this amino acid, expect improved blood flow and nutrient uptake, increased muscle pumps, and healthier blood pressure levels.
Make no mistake about it: l-citrulline is one of the most popular pre-workout supplement ingredients on the market today. Three grams isn’t optimal for a pre-workout (the likes of Optimum PRO PRE have a whopping six grams of l-citrulline per scoop), but it will help.
MagnaPump, 2,275 milligrams
MYOGENIX HYPERSHOCK’s MagnaPump blend takes up 2.275 grams per serving. Its components are micronized creatine monohydrate, betaine anhydrous, and MagnaPower (magnesium creatine chelate).
We love the inclusion of creatine in a pre-workout supplement. Let’s rattle off its key benefits:
- Provides energy to muscle cells
- Increases exercise performance
- Ramp up muscle growth
- Enhance cognitive function
- Regulate blood sugar levels
- Keeps fatigue at bay
Just like BCAAs, creatine covers the manufacturer’s four critical elements of nutrient loading prior to training. It’s a versatile ingredient, to say the least.
Creatine monohydrate is the most efficient and cheapest of its kind on the market. If you’re looking for creatine, this should be your go-to.
However, some experts say creatine monohydrate has poor solubility. That’s why the manufacturer included magnesium creatine chelate, which has better bioavailability. With two kinds of creatine in MYOGENIX HYPERSHOCK, you’re sure to reap their full benefits.
For its part, betaine anhydrous is an amino acid found naturally in wheat bran, quinoa, beets, spinach, and amaranth grain. It helps improve cardiovascular function, ramp up energy levels and power, may increase muscle mass and fat loss, and boost liver function and digestion.
Plus, the International Journal of Medical Sciences’ January 2, 2014 issue (via NCBI.NLM.NIH.gov) says, “Betaine is another widely-used dietary supplement that has also been shown to enhance exercise performance in resistance-trained individuals.” We agree with this assessment. Betaine anhydrous is a pre-workout ingredient with a proven track record.
Unfortunately, MYOGENIX HYPERSHOCK’s MagnaPump blend is proprietary in nature. It would have been better if the company revealed all of the ingredient amounts.
CarnoSyn (Beta-Alanine), 1,500 milligrams
Beta-alanine is another proven pre-workout supplement ingredient. This naturally-occurring beta amino acid helps buffer muscle carnosine levels. When this happens, expect increased work capacity and a greater resistance to exercise fatigue.
Long story short, you’ll be able to work out longer and harder when you supplement with beta-alanine. MYOGENIX HYPERSHOCK’s 1.5 grams of beta-alanine per serving is right on the industry average for pre-workout supplements.
What’s more is the journal Nutrition Research’s May 2014 issue (via ResearchGate.net) confirms a beta-alanine supplement which also includes caffeine, creatine, amino acids, and B vitamins “is both safe and efficacious in recreationally-active men.”
The good news: MYOGENIX HYPERSHOCK contains all of those ingredients. On that note, we’re positive recreationally-active individuals and bodybuilding enthusiasts will rejoice.
NitroPep from Whey Hydrolysate, 1,300 milligrams
MYOGENIX HYPERSHOCK’s NitroPep blend (from whey hydrolysate) takes up 1.3 grams per 23-gram scoop. Bear in mind this product already has the BCAAs and essential amino acids (EAAs) l-leucine, l-isoleucine, and l-valine. The NitroPep blend contains the other six essential amino acids (histidine, lysine, methionine, phenylalanine, threonine, and tryptophan).
Your body cannot synthesize essential amino acids. Therefore, you must obtain them from whole foods and supplements. MYOGENIX HYPERSHOCK is one pre-workout supplement which is your go-to for EAAs.
Amino acids are the building blocks of protein. Not only are they important in increasing muscle mass, but they also help store and transport nutrients, repair muscle tissue, and regulate metabolism, among other things.
MYOGENIX HYPERSHOCK’s NitroPep blend should help you establish a delicate balance between your daily essential and non-essential amino acid intake.
The downside: this blend is proprietary in nature. This is the third proprietary blend we’ve stumbled upon. It looks like the manufacturer’s transparency is taking a huge hit by the minute.
Taurine, 1,000 milligrams
We’ve said it before, and we’ll say it again: we love taurine for its versatility. Check out what this amino acid can do for your body:
- Keeps oxidative stress at bay
- Boosts fat loss
- Improves insulin sensitivity and exercise performance
- Increases testosterone levels
- Shortens recovery time
- Regulates heart health
- Improves sleep quality
- Enhances cognitive function
One gram per serving is just about right for a pre-workout supplement. We’re sure that much will help you achieve your fitness goals.
L-Tyrosine, 530 milligrams
This is a non-essential amino acid and precursor of the neurotransmitters epinephrine, dopamine, and norepinephrine. These, in turn, help nerve cells communicate.
Perhaps l-tyrosine’s most impressive pre-workout benefit is its ability to increase exercise performance and keep stress levels in check. However, some experts say modern research on l-tyrosine remain inconclusive.
Nevertheless, l-tyrosine should help increase your mental focus for your toughest workouts.
Explosive Energy Formula, 460 milligrams
MYOGENIX HYPERSHOCK’s Explosive Energy Formula takes up 460 milligrams per scoop. Its components include caffeine anhydrous and sustained-release caffeine, Rhodiola rosea extract (five percent), naringin, and l-theanine.
Caffeine anhydrous is the pure, powdered version of caffeine. While caffeine has its upsides (increased energy levels, more fat loss, improved physical performance, etc.), it also has downsides (jitters, spike-crash effect, nervousness, and sleeplessness.
As for Rhodiola rosea, is a colorful herb which helps ward off fatigue, boost heart health, keep anxiety at bay, stifle free radical activity, and increase endurance. All of these are excellent pre-workout benefits.
On the other hand, naringin is a bioflavonoid found naturally in grapefruits. It helps ward off free radicals, regulate cholesterol levels, improve nutrient absorption, and boost the fat-burning prowess of caffeine. These two latter benefits ought to help improve the efficacy of any pre-workout supplement.
MYOGENIX HYPERSHOCK’s final key ingredient is l-theanine, an amino acid and natural ingredient of green tea. It helps quell anxiety and neutralize the stimulatory effects of caffeine.
We like the inclusion of l-theanine in any bodybuilding product with caffeine (such as Performix TCP and Hydroxycut SX-7 Onyx Non-Stimulant). Any time an ingredient can offset jitters and nervousness, we’ll take it.
This blend is proprietary – the fourth in MYOGENIX HYPERSHOCK. The main issue: you don’t know how much caffeine you’re consuming. Even with l-theanine around, it would help if a pre-workout supplement reveal its caffeine content.
MYOGENIX HYPERSHOCK is indeed comprehensive in scope. We’re certain its impressive combination of ingredients will help perk you up for your workouts.
Unfortunately, its four proprietary blends and filler content (cane sugar, sucralose, FD&C Red No. 40, and carrageenan) get in the way of its ascent to the top of the pre-workout mountain.
Let’s check out the formula ingredients:
- Calories, 50: MYOGENIX HYPERSHOCK is a low-calorie pre-workout supplement at just 50 per serving.
- Total carbohydrate, 6 g: This product is low in carbs at just two percent of the daily value (a maximum daily value of five percent is minuscule).
- Dietary fiber, 0 g: MYOGENIX HYPERSHOCK has no fiber content whatsoever.
- Sugars, 5 g: This pre-workout supplement’s five grams of sugar per serving isn’t an over-the-top amount at all.
- Protein, 2 g: Credit MYOGENIX HYPERSHOCK’s protein content to its whey protein hydrolysate component at two grams per scoop. This much won’t do much to ramp up your amino acid levels before a hard workout.
- Vitamin C (as ascorbic acid), 500 mg: MYOGENIX HYPERSHOCK is an incredible source of vitamin C at a whopping 833 percent of the daily value. This ingredient is a powerful antioxidant which helps ward off free radicals. It also helps regulate blood pressure levels, improve heart health, boost vision, and keep the common cold at bay. Not too many pre-workouts have this much vitamin C. Better take advantage.
- Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine hydrochloride), 30 mg: This pre-workout is also teeming with vitamin B6 at an amazing 1,500 percent of the daily value (an amount you’ll more likely to find in energy boosters and multivitamins). This B vitamin helps keep homocysteine levels (a non-protein amino acid detrimental to heart health) in check for improved cardiovascular function.
- Folate (as folic acid), 500 mcg: MYOGENIX HYPERSHOCK has solid vitamin B9 levels at 125 percent of the daily value. This B vitamin helps ramp up hemoglobin levels, synthesize DNA, boost heart health, quell anxiety, and grow and maintain muscle mass.
- Vitamin B12 (as cyanocobalamin), 225 mcg: This B vitamin helps increase energy levels and improve cardiovascular function. There’s no question MYOGENIX HYPERSHOCK is the king of vitamin B12 content among pre-workouts at an astonishing 3,750 percent of the daily value.
- Calcium, 100 mg: MYOGENIX HYPERSHOCK has so-so calcium content at 10 percent of the daily value.
- Magnesium, 30 mg: This pre-workout supplement has average magnesium content at eight percent of the daily value.
- Sodium, 25 mg: MYOGENIX HYPERSHOCK is not a significant source of sodium at a measly one percent of the daily value.
- Potassium, 25 mg: This product is also not a significant source of potassium at a paltry one percent of the daily value.
- L-citrulline (99 percent pure), 3,000 mg: A non-essential amino acid which helps ramp up nitric oxide levels for improved blood flow, increased muscle pumps, and healthier blood pressure levels.
- CarnoSyn (beta-alanine), 1,500 mg: A naturally-occurring beta amino acid which helps buffer muscle carnosine levels. The result: greater work capacity and improved ability to delay the onset of exercise fatigue.
- Taurine, 1,000 mg: A versatile amino acid which helps ward off oxidative stress, boost fat loss, ramp up testosterone levels, shorten recovery time, and improve cardiovascular function and sleep quality.
- L-tyrosine, 530 mg: A non-essential amino acid and precursor of the neurotransmitters epinephrine, dopamine, and norepinephrine which helps increase exercise performance and keep stress levels in check.
BCAAs (branched-chain amino acids), 3,300 mg
- Leucine: The most anabolic amino acid which helps kickstart the muscle protein synthesis process. Leucine also helps increase fat loss and preserve muscle mass.
- Isoleucine: A BCAA which helps regulate blood sugar levels, produce hemoglobin, shorten recovery time, maintain a positive nitrogen balance, increase energy levels, and repair muscle tissue.
- Valine: A BCAA which helps regulate the immune system, improve sleep quality, quell anxiety, increase endurance, and repair muscle tissue.
MagnaPump, 2,275 mg
- Micronized creatine monohydrate: A natural ingredient which helps muscle cells produce energy, improve exercise performance, increase muscle mass, regulate blood sugar levels, enhance cognitive function, and ward off fatigue. Creatine monohydrate is the most efficient of its kind on the market.
- Betaine anhydrous: An amino acid which helps boost heart health, increase energy levels, power, fat loss, and muscle mass; and regulate liver function and digestion.
- MagnaPower (magnesium creatine chelate): This is magnesium bonded to creatine for better absorption (a shortcoming of creatine monohydrate).
NitroPep from Whey Hydrolysate, 1,300 mg
- Glutamic acid: An essential amino acid which helps boost digestion, increase muscle mass and athletic performance, ward off free radicals, and regulate blood sugar levels.
- Aspartic acid: Also known as l-aspartate, this amino acid plays a key role in the Krebs cycle. Here, the body synthesizes other amino acids such as lysine, arginine, methionine, and threonine. L-aspartate helps ward off fatigue and boost focus.
- Lysine: An essential amino acid which helps regulate the immune system and plays a key role in collagen (the protein found in connective tissue) production.
- Threonine: An essential amino acid which helps the body maintain its proper protein balance. Threonine is also a precursor of the amino acids glycine and serine, which both play a key role in collagen and muscle tissue production.
- Proline: This amino acid helps produce collagen and cartilage, maintain joint flexibility, and break down protein.
- Alanine: An amino acid which helps convert glucose into energy and balance glucose and nitrogen levels.
- Serine: A non-essential amino acid which helps regulate neurological and central nervous system (CNS) function and increase energy levels.
- Phenylalanine: An essential amino acid and precursor or the neurotransmitters norepinephrine, dopamine, and epinephrine. Phenylalanine helps regulate the central nervous system and enhance cognitive function.
- Cysteine: This amino acid is a precursor of the powerful antioxidant glutathione. Cysteine also helps produce collagen and maintain healthy skin.
- Arginine: A semi-essential amino acid which helps increase nitric oxide levels and muscle pumps, improve blood flow, and promote healthy blood pressure levels.
- Methionine: An essential amino acid which helps the body eliminate excess fats and produce creatine.
- Glycine: A non-essential amino acid which helps create muscle tissue and regulate the central nervous and digestive systems.
- Histidine: An amino acid which helps maintain tissue health and improve sexual function.
- Tryptophan: This amino acid is a precursor of serotonin, which helps enhance cognitive function. L-tryptophan also helps quell anxiety, which makes it a popular sleep supplement ingredient.
Explosive Energy Formula, 1,000 mg
- Caffeine anhydrous and sustained release caffeine: The pure, powdered form of caffeine which helps increase energy levels, boost fat loss, improve liver function, ward off free radicals, and improve exercise performance. Caffeine may also result in jitters, nervousness, and sleeplessness.
- Rhodiola rosea extract 5 percent: An herb which helps improve cardiovascular function, keep stress levels in check, ward off fatigue, and increase endurance and antioxidant protection.
- Naringin: A bioflavonoid which helps enhance the fat-burning prowess of caffeine, boost nutrient absorption, regulate cholesterol levels, and keep free radicals at bay.
- L-theanine: An amino acid and natural ingredient of green tea which helps quell anxiety and offset the stimulatory effects of caffeine.
Now you know why the manufacturer dubbed MYOGENIX HYPERSHOCK “The Most Comprehensive Pre-Workout Formula on the Planet” – it has a ton of ingredients.
The good news: most of the components will make a profound difference and help you achieve your pre-workout goals.
The bad news: MYOGENIX HYPERSHOCK is not a perfect product. Far from it.
First off, we love the inclusion of key ingredients such as BCAAs, l-citrulline, creatine monohydrate, CarnoSyn Beta-Alanine, taurine, and l-tyrosine. Their combined benefits include increased muscle protein synthesis, focus, exercise performance, and muscle pumps; greater resistance to exercise fatigue, and more fat loss.
We also love l-theanine, an amino acid which helps offset the stimulatory effects of caffeine. We hope other pre-workout supplement manufacturers follow suit.
MYOGENIX HYPERSHOCK is unique in its own right. For one, it contains all nine essential amino acids (EAAs). Only a few pre-workouts boast of that attribute.
This supplement also is an insane source of vitamin C (833 percent of the daily value), vitamin B6 (1,500 percent of the daily value), and vitamin B12 (3,750 percent of the daily value). In fact, its high B vitamin levels easily trumps those of other energy boosters.
On the flip side, MYOGENIX HYPERSHOCK’s caffeine content may result in jitters, nervousness, and sleeplessness, like we earlier mentioned.
The manufacturer also does a poor job in terms of transparency and cleanliness. Note MYOGENIX HYPERSHOCK has four shady proprietary blends. It also has several fillers (cane sugar, fructose, sucralose, FD&C Red No. 40, and carrageenan). Thumbs down.
We get the impression the company tries to do too much. It compromised its integrity in the process.
Don’t get us wrong; MYOGENIX HYPERSHOCK certainly has its strong suits. Unless the manufacturer irons out the kinks, this product’s glaring loopholes won’t make it a contender in the pre-workout category.
MYOGENIX HYPERSHOCK Benefits
MYOGENIX HYPERSHOCK “is a fully-loaded concentrate with nearly 14,00 mg of active ingredients designed to target the four critical elements of nutrient loading before a workout: muscle growth, endurance, explosive strength, and mental stamina,” per its official website.
Who Takes It?
The manufacturer intended MYOGENIX HYPERSHOCK for healthy and active individuals who are at least 18 years of age who want to increase energy levels, stamina, muscle pumps, and focus; boost fat loss, and achieve their daily fitness goals.
Any Side Effects?
MYOGENIX HYPERSHOCK contains cane sugar, an ingredient which may cause headaches, nausea, upset stomach, and sleeplessness.
This pre-workout supplement also has fructose, a component which may increase weight gain and blood sugar levels.
MYOGENIX HYPERSHOCK also has sucralose (a.k.a. Splenda), an artificial sweetener which may increase weight gain.
This product’s Berry Fusion flavor has FD&C Red No. 40, an artificial food coloring which experts have linked to carcinogenicity. It also has carrageenan, a food additive with carcinogenic and inflammatory properties.
Finally, MYOGENIX HYPERSHOCK contains caffeine anhydrous, the pure and powdered form of this stimulant which may cause sleeplessness, nervousness, restlessness, and the like.
If these, or any other ingredient, make you feel doubtful, please consult your physician before buying MYOGENIX HYPERSHOCK.
The manufacturer also issues a warning:
MYOGENIX HYPERSHOCK Review Summary
- Impressive ingredients. They don’t call it the “Most Comprehensive Pre-Workout Formula on the Market” for nothing.
- Three grams of l-citrulline per scoop. For increased vasodilation and muscle pumps.
- Complete essential amino acid profile. Rare pre-workout supplement which can boast of this claim.
- Insane vitamin C levels. Eight hundred thirty-three percent of the daily value.
- Incredible vitamin B6 and vitamin B12 amounts. Combined 5,250 percent of the daily value.
- L-theanine. Helps offset the stimulatory effects of caffeine.
- Flavor options. Comes in Orange, Pink Lemonade, and Berry versions.
- Poor transparency. Contains four proprietary blends. Thumbs down.
- Fillers. Cane sugar, fructose, sucralose, carrageenan, and FD&C Red No. 40. Two thumbs down.
- Caffeine content. Proverbial double-edged sword.
- Reputation. Not as known as other big-name pre-workouts.
Pricing & Where to Buy
- 1 453-gram Container (20-Day Supply): $37.99
- Available online and in retail
Final Word on MYOGENIX HYPERSHOCK
“The Most Comprehensive Pre-Workout Formula on the Planet” is powerful. Make no mistake about it. The ingredients speak volumes. Expect increased energy levels, muscle pumps, and focus, among other things.
MYOGENIX HYPERSHOCK is the Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde of pre-workouts: the cons may not be as many as the pros, but they’re too glaring for our liking.
You can still try MYOGENIX HYPERSHOCK, but do so at your own risk. Better yet, opt for a cleaner pre-workout formula until such time the manufacturer gets its act together.