Are you a goal-driven person who wants to optimize performance in and out of the gym?
Well, Optimum Nutrition Performance Whey may just be the perfect protein supplement for you.
This product has a protein blend composed of whey protein concentrate, whey protein isolate, hydrolyzed whey protein concentrate, and whey protein isolate for improved recovery. It’s just one of the many benefits it has.
Sounds this will be an exciting review, won’t it?
About Optimum Nutrition Performance Whey
According to the manufacturer, Optimum Nutrition Performance Whey is an ultra-filtered protein blend with great and easy solubility. The company puts a premium on the product’s ability to give you “ON quality at an exceptional value.” Formula notes:
- Diverse protein complex. 22 grams of protein per scoop, including Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate, Hydrolyzed Whey Protein Isolate, Hydrolyzed Whey Protein Concentrate
- Has turmeric and good fats. Ingredients which help boost long-term health.
- Comes in two flavors. Namely Chocolate Shake and Vanilla. Welp, that’s pretty damn boring but it’s not all about flavor, right?
Optimum Nutrition Performance Whey Supplement Facts (Chocolate Shake, 4 lbs.)
Serving Size 1 Rounded Scoop (39 g)
Servings Per Container 50
|Amount Per Serving / % Daily Value *|
|Calories From Fat||35|
|Total Fat||4 g 6%|
|Saturated Fat||2.5 g 13%|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Cholesterol||90 mg 30%|
|Sodium||140 mg 6%|
|Total Carbohydrate||9 g 3%|
Ingredients: Protein Blend (Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate, Hydrolyzed Whey Protein Isolate, Hydrolyzed Whey Protein Concentrate), Creamer (Glucose Syrup Solids, Coconut Oil, Sodium Caseinate, Di-Potassium Phosphate, Silicon Dioxide, Titanium Dioxide, Mono- And Diglycerides, Turmeric And Annatto Extracts, Artificial Flavors), Medium Chain Triglycerides, Cocoa (Processed With Alkali), Natural And Artificial Flavors, Lecithin, Acesulfame Potassium, Sucralose
Directions For Performance Whey:
Ultra-Concentrated Whey Protein Shot – Mix one rounded scoop of Performance Whey™ with 3-4 ounces of cold water or milk for 15-20 seconds.
Whey Protein Shake – Add one rounded scoop of Performance Whey™ to a glass or shaker cup filled with 6-8 ounces of cold water, milk, or juice. Mix for 20-30 seconds.
Optimize Your Performance
Optimum Nutrition continues to amaze us.
The company’s Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey continues to be one of the trendsetters in the protein supplement industry. When you think of whey protein, it’s the first one that comes to mind.
And then there’s Optimum Nutrition Platinum Hydrowhey – the purest from of whey which has the fastest rate of absorption (and dents your wallet the most).
However, if you want to optimize your performance, Optimum Nutrition Performance Whey is your best bet.
According to the manufacturer’s official website, this supplement “is designed to provide goal-driven individuals with a versatile combination of mixability, convenience, and value along with ON’s legendary quality.”
Optimum Nurition Performance Whey is instantized, which means it has great solubility. Whether you mix it in three or eight ounces of water doesn’t matter. You will still get the same slick, smooth milkshake taste.
Consumers will reap the benefits of this product before and after training, as a snack, “or any other time that you need a quick shot of premium protein,” per the manufacturer.
Each scoop of Optimum Nutrition Performance Whey has 22 grams of protein – the least among the company’s three whey protein products we mentioned.
Why is that, you ask?
Our hunch is the amount of protein per serving is tied up to the goal of the intended consumer. In this case, it’s a “goal-driven” individual who wants a convenient protein source in and out of the gym.
Optimum Nutrition Performance Whey is an all-around protein supplement.
You can consume it before and/or after training, at work, or wherever you are. If this protein was solely intended for post-workout replenishment, we’re guessing the amount of protein would be amped up.
Now, on to the protein blend.
Each scoop of Optimum Nutrition Performance Whey has a combination of whey protein concentrate and whey protein isolate. Each type of whey is rich in BCAAs and is fast-absorbing (although the latter is faster), making it the ideal type of protein for post-workout consumption.
What makes this product a cut above the rest is the inclusion of hydrolyzed whey protein concentrate and hydrolyzed whey protein concentrate. When you say “hydrolyzed,” it means the microfiltration process breaks the protein down into smaller peptides for quicker absorption.
Hydrolyzed whey is the fastest-absorbing protein of its kind, folks. Your bloodstream absorbs regular whey in 30 minutes or so. On the other hand, you can expect to reap the benefits of they hydrolyzed version in 15 minutes.
Not only that, hydrolyzed whey protein may improve nitrogen retention. This means it gives your body a positive nitrogen balance for more muscle growth. Plus, it also boosts recovery faster than regular whey.
The takeaway? Optimum Nutrition Performance Whey is a valuable asset in boosting your recovery and keeping your body in an anabolic state even when you’re not in the gym.
Whether you’re working at the office or hanging out with your family at the park, this product can help you achieve your fitness goals wherever you are (check out Arnold IRON Whey, another awesome product with whey protein hydrolysate).
Now, let’s check out the formula ingredients:
- Total fat, 4 g: You’d expect a supplement with whey protein concentrate to have a bit more fat than usual. Four grams per serving isn’t a lot (six percent the daily value). You may be concerned about the 2.5 grams of saturated fat per scoop. However, this products’ fat sources are coconut oil and medium-chain triglycerides, both of which are good sources of healthy fats for your cardiovascular system, folks.
- Cholesterol, 90 mg: If a nutrient’s daily value percentage exceeds 20 percent, then it is considered high. Optimum Nutrition Performance Whey’s cholesterol content is a whopping 30 percent. Check with your doctor first if you have any cardiovascular or cholesterol issues.
- Sodium, 120 mg: You need sodium to replace the electrolytes you lose during intense exercise. At five percent the daily value for this nutrient, this product provides an ample amount without compromising the cardiovascular system.
- Total carbohydrate, 9 g: At first glance, it sure seems to us Optimum Nutrition Performance Whey is not a viable low-carb option since it has nine grams of carbs per scoop. Again, the key here is to pay attention to the daily value percentage – the product only has three percent, so it is not considered high at all. Sugar content isn’t high at three grams per serving, either.
Optimum Nutrition Performance Whey provides you with 22 grams of top-notch WPI, WPC, hydrolyzed whey protein concentrate, and hydrolyzed whey protein isolate to amp up your recovery and keep your body in an anabolic state wherever you go – it is truly a versatile protein.
We like the fact the product’s coconut oil and medium-chain triglyceride content provides you with good fats – a must for good health. Other protein supplements such as Arnold IRON WHEY include good fats such as flaxseed oil. We think that’s pretty awesome and we hope the trend will continue.
While the carbohydrate and sodium content isn’t extreme, the amount of cholesterol is. Granted, you need good cholesterol for optimum cardiovascular health. However, you have to keep your overall cholesterol level within reasonable limits. If this product’s cholesterol content concerns you, ask your doctor for professional advice.
Check this out, folks: Optimum Nutrition Performance Whey has turmeric extract. In case you don’t know what turmeric is, it is a powerful herb which is part of the ginger family. It has a very powerful anti-inflammatory effect – something you need when you are recovering from an intense session at the gym.
If there’s one ingredient we recommend, it’s turmeric. If you’re not getting your turmeric fix, you can always get it in tea form.
On the other hand, an ingredient which caught our eye is titanium dioxide, something you rarely see in today’s protein supplements. It is a food additive which helps improve the product’s texture. It is considered safe by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
All in all, Optimum Nutrition Performance Whey has a good combination of ingredients which will help you achieve your fitness goals. It has no fillers and proprietary blends to speak of. Job well done, Optimum Nutrition.
Optimum Nutrition Performance Whey Benefits
The manufacturer enumerates the benefits of Optimum Nutrition Performance Whey on its official website:
- Ultra-filtered and concentrated
- 100% whey protein complex
- Easy mixing and solubility
- Delicious milkshake taste in as little as three to four oz. of water
- Excellent quality at reasonable prices
We agree with all of these claims. With Optimum Nutrition Performance Whey, you get a supplement with a unique concentrated formula that’s convenient and a good return on your investment, folks.
Who Takes It?
As we previously mentioned in the preceding sections, Optimum Nutrition Performance Whey is meant for “goal-driven” individuals who want convenience and value in their protein supplement.
Optimum Nutrition Performance Whey will help athletes and active individuals alike in achieving their fitness goals. More specifically, the product will help them remain in an anabolic state and improve their recovery time.
Any Side Effects?
While Optimum Nutrition Performance Whey has no glaring side effects, individuals who are lactose intolerant should seek their doctor’s advice because of its lactose content.
People who have cardiovascular concerns should also check with their physicians first as Optimum Nutrition Performance Whey’s cholesterol content is higher than usual for a protein powder supplement.
Optimum Nutrition Performance Whey Summary
- One hundred percent whey protein complex. Combination of regular whey and hydrolyzed whey for faster recovery.
- Has good fats. Coconut oil and medium-chain triglycerides for good cardiovascular health.
- Contains turmeric extract. Herbal ingredient which helps amp up recovery.
- Great solubility. Easy to mix with just three to four oz. of water.
- High in cholesterol. Content is 30 percent of the daily value for this nutrient.
- Lack of variety. Comes in just two flavors.
- Somewhat expensive. $80.49 for a four-lb. container.
Pricing & Buying Info
- 1 two-lb. container (25-Day Supply): $47.49
- 1 four-lb. container (50-Day Supply): $80.49
- Available online and in retail
Final Word on Optimum Nutrition Performance Whey
As a parting shot, all we can say is Optimum Nutrition is a unique whey protein supplement.
Consider the fact it is ultra-filtered and concentrated. It also has a 100% whey protein complex which is beneficial for recovery and so much more.
Plus, you have health-boosting ingredients such as coconut oil and turmeric thrown in. What’s not to love, folks?
Well, there’s the cholesterol content and the price.
Seriously, you should consider Optimum Nutrition Performance Whey if you’re a goal-driven person who wants to optimize performance. You can take our word for it.