Could anything possibly be better than a supplement which carries the name of Arnold Schwarzenegger?
We doubt it.
This is why MusclePharm’s Arnold Schwarzenegger Series’ IRON WHEY Protein is worth sizing up in this review. Nobody is more passionate about fitness than Arnie, so this product is a reflection of what he stands for – a quality whey protein supplement which ought to take you back to the glorious Golden Era of Bodybuilding.
Buckle up and enjoy the ride, folks.
About Arnold IRON WHEY Protein
According to the MusclePharm, Arnold IRON WHEY Protein “is a high-quality formula that delivers large amounts of naturally-occurring amino acids the body needs daily.” Formula notes:
- High-quality protein. Combination of WPC, WPI, and whey protein hydrolysates.
- Twenty-two grams of protein per serving. Decent, but not the most in the industry.
- Taste. Has gotten mixed reviews from customers .
MusclePharm Arnold Schwarzenegger Series IRON WHEY Supplement Facts (Chocolate, 5 lbs.)
Serving Size: 32.4g (1 scoop)
Servings Per Container: 70 (2.27 kg / 5 lb)
Amount Per Serving %DV*
|Calories From Fat||9|
|Total Fat||1 g 2%|
|Saturated Fat||0.5 g 3%|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Cholesterol||30 mg 10%|
|Sodium||160 mg 7%|
|Potassium||225 mg 11%|
|Total Carbohydrate||6 g 5%|
|Dietary Fiber||0.5 g 2%|
|Protein||22 g 44%|
|Vitamin A||12.04 IU 0.40%|
|Vitamin C||0 mg 0%|
|Calcium||90.19 mg 9%|
|Iron||0.63 mg 4.5%|
Other Ingredients: 100% Whey Protein Blend (Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Hydrolysate), Cocoa Powder, L-Glycine, L-Taurine, L-Glutamine, L-Leucine, L-Isoleucine, L-Valine, Maltodextrin, Xanthan Gum, Guar Gum, Cellulose Gum, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Salt, Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium, Flax Seed Oil Powder, Lactase
Directions For Iron Whey: As a dietary supplement, mix one to two servings (1 to 2 scoops) of IRON WHEY with 8-12 fl. oz. of cold water. Vary the amount of water to achieve your desired consistency and taste. Consume 1-3 times a day. IRON WHEY can be taken immediately before and/or after your workout. To increase your protein intake per serving and achieve a delicious milkshake taste, use skim or low fat milk instead of water.
Grow Your Legacy with Arnold IRON WHEY Protein
If there’s a sure-fire way of luring customers to purchase a product, the manufacturer taps a high-profile endorser.
Now, when it comes to bodybuilding and protein supplements, no endorser is as high-profile as seven-time Mr. Olympia and three-time Mr. Universe winner Arnold Schwarzenegger. Nobody can dispute that.
MusclePharm launched the Arnold Schwarzenegger Series in September 2013. Since then, MusclePharm and Arnold have achieved two spectacular milestones:
1. Best5Supplements gave a 4-star review to the fat burner Arnold IRON CUTS
2. Arnold IRON WHEY Protein took the fitness & bodybuilding world by storm
Arnie discussed his enthusiasm for his supplement line on his official website:
After meeting with the MusclePharm team, learning about the company, and spending time with the founders, I knew they were the perfect partners to start a line of nutritional supplements and continue promoting fitness around the world.
Their passion for sports nutrition and science fits perfectly with my mission to help everyone discover the benefits of health and nutrition.
I’m excited to partner with MusclePharm on the exclusive on the exclusive Arnold Series and develop this line of nutritional supplements that not only carry my name but also represent my lifelong commitment to fitness.
Well said, Mr. Schwarzenegger. Well said.
Judging by the name itself, Arnold IRON WHEY Protein seems to have a lot of promise. Let’s begin with the protein content.
Each scoop packs 22 grams of protein. The product lags behind other renowned brands such as Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey and Dymatize ISO100, which have 24 grams and 25 grams of protein per serving, respectively.
Sometimes, it’s not just about the quantity, folks. It’s also about the quality.
Arnold IRON WHEY Protein’s protein components are whey protein concentrate, whey protein isolate, and whey protein hydrolysate. The manufacturer’s way of setting its product apart from the rest of the field?
The key word here is “more.” MusclePharm’s formula emphasizes nitrogen retention for more muscle growth. The company’s ultra-microfiltered whey protein is the key source of nitrogen. It delivers key, naturally-occurring amino acids to the muscles.
Once the amino acid levels in the muscles increase, nitrogen retention occurs. This, in turn, results in muscle protein synthesis.
- We believe the combination of WPC, WPI, and whey protein hydrolysate not only helps in nitrogen retention and protein synthesis, it also assists in rapid nourishment and recovery after a hard workout.
WPC and WPI are both rich in amino acids (although WPI absorbs faster). So, if it’s nitrogen retention and muscle growth you want, Arnold IRON WHEY Protein is more than up to the task, folks…
But only if the protein shake is palatable, ‘nah mean?
Arnold Iron Whey comes in four flavors:
- Chocolate – the most common flavor among protein supplements. Arnold IRON WHEY Protein’s version has gotten mixed reviews from consumers: Some say it tastes great while others think it’s too sweet. Some even think it doesn’t mix well and tastes horrible. We give it a 7.5/10 stars.
- Vanilla – this one has also gotten mixed reviews, although we feel it’s better than Chocolate. In our opinion, Vanilla gets 8/10 stars.
- Strawberry Banana – while it’s not perfect, this flavor is Arnold IRON WHEY Protein’s best. If you combine a scoop with milk, it’s like you’re chuggingon a strawberry millkshake. Pretty good. We say it gets an 8.5/10.
- Cookies N’ Cream – We daresay MusclePharm formulates one of the best-tasting Cookies N’Cream flavors in the market. It’s neck and neck with Strawberry Banana in terms of taste. This one doesn’t disappoint.
Now, let’s check out the Arnold Iron Whey ingredients:
- Total fat, 1 g: This is the amount of fats you’d expect to see in a whey protein isolate supplement. MusclePharm’s excellent ultra microfiltration process makes sure the fat content per serving stays within reasonable limits. Job well done here.
- Cholesterol, 35 mg: Again, we tip our hats off to the company’s ultra microfiltration process which helped limit the cholesterol amount per serving. It’s not as low as other supplements such as MyProtein Impact Whey Protein, but we’ll take it.
- Sodium, 160 g: A bit of a red flag here. MusclePharm’s line of supplements don’t have the lowest amount of sodium (although they’re not excessive). Sodium is important in the recovery process, but if you have a cardiovascular issue, it would be best to consult your physician before purchasing.
- Potassium, 225 mg: The average protein supplement does not exceed 200 milligrams per scoop. Arnold IRON WHEY Protein does. The good news: Potassium helps regulate blood pressure. The bad news: Too much of it may be deterimental to cardiovascular health. Seek you doctor’s advice if this concerns you.
- Total carbohydrate, 6 g: If you want a low-carb option, Arnold IRON WHEY Protein isn’t for you. For one, the whey protein concentrate (WPC) content contributes to the amount of carbs per serving. Next, you also have to consider this product has maltodextrin, a complex carbohydrate ideal for post-workout consumption. Finally, the sugar content accounts for 2.5 grams per serving.
Arnold IRON WHEY Protein’s combination of whey protein concentrates, whey protein isolates, and whey protein hydrolysate will ensure your muscles get enough amino acids for the positive-nitrogen-balance muscle-growth formula MusclePharm is emphasizing.
You get 22 grams of quality protein per scoop. Each kind of whey protein ensures rapid nourishment and better recovery for your muscle and immune system after a hard training session.
We like the fact Arnold IRON WHEY Protein has several BCAAs such as l-glutamine, l-leucine, l-isoleucine, and l-valine.
Glutamine – the most abundant amino acid in the body – helps increase human growth hormone levels. On the other hand, leucine is the most important amino acid in terms of protein synthesis. Without it, you can kiss your muscle-building aspirations goodbye.
Again, kudos to the manufacturer for keeping the fat and cholesterol content within reasonable limits. Plus, the inclusion of maltodextrin (a complex carbohydrate) and lactase (a digestive enzyme) ensures better post-workout recovery.
Did you also notice flaxseed oil powder is an ingredient of Arnold IRON WHEY Protein? Not only does this product contain high-quality whey protein, it also has good fats.
We’re not surprised one bit flaxseed oil is in Arnold IRON WHEY Protein.
Bear in mind this product has Arnold Schwarzenegger’s name on it. He is a Golden Era icon, and we know he and his contemporaries took flaxseed oil for better, long-term health.
On the other hand, MusclePharm has a tendency to add more sodium and potassium in its supplements. If you have any medical issue, we advise you to consult your doctor before consuming Arnold IRON WHEY Protein.
The inclusion of some artificial flavors may also raise some eyebrows. Take xanthan gum, for instance. It is a polysaccharide which is used as a food additive. While it may cause some digestive discomfort in some, it is relatively safe when taken in small amounts.
Other than that, we didn’t spot any suspicious-looking ingredients. We tip our hats off to the manufacturer for being transparent. No proprietary blends whatsoever – Arnold wouldn’t like that one bit.
Arnold Iron Whey Protein Benefits
MusclePharm describes Arnold IRON WHEY Protein’s benefits as follows:
Arnold IRON WHEY Protein is a high-quality formula that delivers large amounts of naturally-occurring amino acids the body needs daily. Regardless of age or physical activity level, whey protein is essential for every nutrition regimen because it is the body’s catalyst for muscle growth and protein synthesis.
Trade up to a purer, more superior protein supplement that will help fuel your workout performance while also maximizing recovery time.
We agree Arnold IRON WHEY supplies the body with quality amino acids for a positive nitrogen balance, muscle growth, and better recovery.
Other key ingredients such as maltodextrin, glutamine, flax seed oil powder, and lactase will give you a taste of the Golden Era of Bodybuilding for better long-term results.
Who Takes It?
Arnold IRON WHEY Protein is intended for athletes and active individuals who want to get strong, increase muscle mass, boost recovery, and meet daily protein requirements. Of course, with the Arnold name, you know it’s great for body building, too.
Any Side Effects?
Arnold IRON WHEY Protein by MusclePharm has no glaring side effects. Customers who have a history of cardiovascular issues should note the somewhat high sodium and potassium content. It is best to consult a doctor if this applies to you.
In addition, the product contains milk and soy. Those who are allergic to those food sources are advised to steer clear:
Lastly, the manufacturer reminds everyone Arnold IRON WHEY Protein is not supposed to be considered a primary source of nutrition:
Arnold IRON WHEY Protein Summary
- High-quality whey protein. For muscle growth and recovery.
- Quality ingredients. Glutamine, maltodextrin, and flaxseed oil powder, to name a few.
- Low-fat and low-cholesterol. Always a plus.
- Transparent ingredients. No proprietary blends.
- Taste. Has received mixed reviews from consumers.
- Somewhat high sodium and potassium content. Seek doctor’s advice when necessary.
- Twenty-two grams of protein per serving. Decent, but not the highest in the industry.
- Inclusion of artificial ingredients. Artificial flavors, for one. Not too many, though.
Pricing & Buying Info
- 1 7-Serving Container (7-Day Supply): $8.15
- 1 1.5 lb Container (21-Day Supply): $21.97
- 1 2 lb Container (30-Day Supply): $35.99
- 1 5 pound Container (70-Day Supply): $55.25, (best deal)
- Available to order online and buy in retail, inc. GNC & Amazon, prices vary
Final Word on Arnold IRON WHEY Protein
Arnold IRON WHEY Protein by Muscle Pharm lives up to its promise in delivering a high-quality whey protein formula for naturally promoting a positive nitrogen balance, resulting in protein synthesis and muscle growth.
You also can’t go wrong with benefits from ingredients such as maltodextrin, flaxseed oil powder, and lactase. Like we already pointed out, it’s like a trip back to the Golden Era of Bodybuilding, when Arnold and Co. made a name for themselves.
While Arnold IRON WHEY Protein carries the name of the most iconic bodybuilder in history, it also has it flaws. Having said that, it lags behind other protein supplements with superior quality (grass-fed, organic, sweetened with stevia, etc.).
Nonetheless, Arnold IRON WHEY Protein gets good ratings here on B5 as a solid protein shake formula. You can even grow your own legacy once you make this a staple in your supplement stack.