What do Russell Westbrook, Rob Gronkowski, and Giancarlo Stanton have in common?
Yes, they’re elite world-class athletes. They’re rich and famous. Anything else? Well, they’re the athlete endorsers of Six Star 100% Whey Protein Plus, a whey protein supplement like no other.
We say this because it has 30 grams of protein per serving. It also has key muscle-building ingredients such as creatine monohydrate and glutamine. Is it a worthy addition to your supplement stack?
Let’s find out if it is indeed the smarter choice.
About Six Star 100% Whey Protein Plus
Part of the Muscletech Elite Series sports nutrition supplements, Six Star 100% Whey Protein Plus “is the smarter choice to help support recovery and fuel training.” Packed with scientifically-researched key ingredients that build more muscle and increase strength, 100% Whey Protein Plus is scientifically superior to regular protein. Delivering quality BCAAs, glutamine, and creatine, Six Star provides the delicious premium protein formulas you need that fit any active lifestyle.” Formula notes:
- Good ingredients. WPC, WPI, BCAAs, creatine monhydrate, glutamine and maltodextrin.
- Product’s selling points. Manufacturer claims test subjects gained four times more muscle mass.
- Includes carrageenan. An additive which may result in some digestive discomfort.
Six Star 100% Whey Protein Plus Supplement Facts (5 lbs., Triple Chocolate)
Serving Size: 1 Scoop (49g)
Servings Per Container: Approx. 46
Amount Per Serving
%Daily Value *
|Calories From Fat||25|
|Total Fat||3 g 5%*|
|Saturated Fat||1 g 5%*|
|Cholesterol||75 mg 25%|
|Total Carbohydrate||8 g 3%*|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g 4%*|
|Sugars||2 g †|
|Protein||30 g 60%*|
|Calcium||230 mg 23%|
|Iron||1.1 mg 6%|
|Sodium||190 mg 8%|
|Creatine Monohydrate||2.5 g †|
Other Ingredients: 100% Whey Protein Plus Blend (Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate, 97% Whey Protein Isolate, Hydrolyzed Whey Protein Isolate, L-Leucine, L-Isoleucine, L-Valine, L-Glutamine), Maltodextrin, Cocoa Powder (Processed With Alkali), Natural And Artificial Flavors, Gum Blend (Cellulose Gum, Xanthan Gum, Carrageenan), Calcium Carbonate, Soy or Sunflower Lecithin, Salt, Sucralose, Acesulfame-Potassium
Directions For Whey Protein Plus: Mix 1 to 2 servings (1 to 2 scoops) in 5 to 10 oz. of cold water or skim milk, according to taste, in a glass or shaker cup. Use between major meals and before and after exercise. Drink 8 glasses of water daily for general good health. Read the entire label before use and follow directions provided.
All-Stars Believe Six Star 100% Whey Protein Plus is the Smarter Choice
Famous athletes Russell Westbrook of the NBA’s Oklahoma City Thunder, Rob Gronkowski of the NFL’s New England Patriots, and Giancarlo Stanton of MLB’s Miami Marlins are the athlete endorsers of Muscletech Elite Series Six Star 100% Whey Protein Plus.
What do all of them have in common? They’re all dedicated professionals who take care of their bodies. For them, cutting corners is a big no-no. With the help of Six Star 100% Whey Protein Plus, you could be as fit as they are.
Let’s start with the protein content. Thirty grams per serving, to be exact.
We like that. Most whey protein supplements have between 20-25 grams of protein per serving. Six Star 100% Whey Protein Plus takes it to the next level. More protein will help you build more lean muscle and boost the recovery process. Your muscles will never be happier.
As for the protein matrix, there’s nothing out of the ordinary – you see the usual whey protein concentrate and whey protein isolate components. Both kinds have high amounts of BCAAs, great solubility, and rapid absorption. You need these after a hard workout. No question about it.
What’s unique about Six Star 100% Whey Protein Plus’ protein matrix are the three kinds of whey protein isolates – regular whey protein isolate, 97 percent whey protein isolate, and hydrolyzed whey protein isolate. With the exception of rapid absorption and a purer form of whey, we don’t see anything about them which will make the product stand out from the rest of the pack.
On the other hand, we like the added BCAAs and glutamine. The former help stimulate protein synthesis and increase workout intensity. For its part, the latter has anti-catabolic and growth hormone benefits. Throw those 30 grams of whey protein into the equation, and you’re in anabolic heaven.
Six Star 100% Whey Protein Plus comes in five yummy shake flavors, according to us and some credible looking online reviews:
- Cookies & Cream – one of the most popular whey protein supplement flavors. It’s not the best version we’ve tried, but very good, nonetheless.
- Salted Caramel – a rare flavor among today’s protein supps. You want some caramel goodness after a hard workout? Come and get it, folks. In our opinion, this is the best flavor in the Six Star 100% Whey Protein Plus lineup.
- Strawberry Cream Smoothie – perhaps you want a smoothie after training. This is the option for you. We feel it’s tied with the Cookies & Cream flavor as the second-best.
- Triple Chocolate – your head could be spinning with all of the chocolate-flavored whey protein supplements on store shelves. This one, while not the best in the industry, is good. Maybe an 8.5 out of 10.
- Vanilla Cream – pretty decent option for vanilla lovers. We’d rate it around 7.5 out of 10.
Now, let’s check out the formula ingredients:
- Total fat, 3 g: This is within the industry average for a WPI/WPC combo. If it were solely a WPI supplement, the fat content would be lower. However, the presence of WPC ups that number a bit. Again, fats aren’t the enemy. You just have to consume the good types (monounsaturated, polyunsaturated, etc.).
- Cholesterol, 75 g: Not an eye-popping number, but it could be a bit lower. Just like fats, cholesterol isn’t the enemy. You just have to consume it within reasonable limits.
- Total carbohydrate, 8 g: If you’re seeking a low-carb whey protein supplement, Six Star 100% Whey Protein Plus isn’t the option for you. First, WPC has some carb content. Second, this product has maltodextrin, a very good post-workout carbohydrate. Third, you can attribute part of the carb content to the sugar sources, particularly the gum blend, sucralose, and acesulfame potassium. We like this carb matrix, although we’re a bit leery of the carrageenan content. More on that later.
- Calcium, 230 mg: At 23 percent of the daily value for calcium, this product can also help promote healthy bones and teeth. Awesome.
- Iron, 1.1 mg: This mineral helps transport oxygen to your blood cells. Iron can also help ward off fatigue. Good bonus in any protein supplement.
- Sodium, 190 mg: Not as high as some protein supplements such as Vega Sport Performance Protein, but it’s getting there. Sodium can help prevent muscle cramping, but too much of it may be detrimental to people with cardiovascular concerns. Ask for your doctor’s advice if this concerns you.
- Creatine monohydrate, 2.5 g: Aside from Six Star 100% Whey Protein Plus’ maltodextrin content, another distinguishing factor is creatine monohydrate. People who have been working out and taking creatine for years know about its immense benefits, namely increased muscle mass and increased work capacity. You can’t go wrong with a whey supplement supercharged with creatine monohydrate. It’s always a win-win situation.
Six Star 100% Whey Protein Plus has an advanced whey protein concentrate and whey protein isolate blend which yields an impressive 30 grams of protein per serving. Throw in the additional creatine monohydrate and glutamine, and voila: A protein powder that is helpful for anyone seeing anabolic muscle growth, from bodybuilding types to weekend warriors.The product is also relatively low in fats and cholesterol, so all good. Like we already pointed out, Six Star 100% Whey Protein Plus is not ideal for those who want a low-carb supplement. Nevertheless, it should help boost the recovery process with its maltodextrin content, a carbohydrate derived from rice, corn, and potato starch. Remember: You need protein and carbs before and after a hard workout. You can save the good fats for your regular meals and snacks.
- We can’t help but be leery of the carrageenan content of Six Star 100% Whey Protein Plus. It is an additive which may results in intestinal and digestive issues. If you have any digestive health concerns, ask your doctor for professional advice.
Likewise, talk to your physician if you’re concerned about the sodium content. At 230 mg per serving, it’s worth noting for those who have cardiovascular issues (for a comprehensive guide on how to purchase supplements, check this out).
Six Star 100% Whey Protein Plus Benefits
The manufacturer claims Six Star 100% Whey Protein Plus can help the consumer gain 70 percent more lean muscle than regular whey protein. In fact, the company conducted several tests to prove its point.
The company also says the same subjects increased their strength significantly. The evidence? They increased their bench press by an average of 34 lbs. in just six weeks when they supplemented with Six Star 100% Whey Protein Plus. In contrast, those who consumed regular whey protein jacked up their bench press by a “measly” 14 lbs. after the same period.
Finally, the manufacturer’s official website says the test subjects “gained an incredible 4 times more muscle than subjects using a placebo (8.8 vs 2.0 lbs.).”
It’s hard to argue with the manufacturer’s claim. The cream of the crop in terms of muscle-building ingredients are included in Six Star 100% Whey Protein Plus: WPC, WPI, creatine monohydrate, glutamine, BCAAs, and maltodextrin. No wonder the company takes pride in its potent core ingredients.
Who Takes It?
Six Star 100% Whey Protein Plus is for athletes and active individuals who are at least 18 years of age and who want to increase muscle mass and boost their recovery.
Any Side Effects?
Six Star 100% Whey Protein Plus’ sodium content (230 mg per serving) may be of some concern for individuals who have cardiovascular issues. This much sodium may also result in more water retention, which may be detrimental for those who want a less bloated physique.
The carrageenan content may also result in intestinal and digestive discomfort for certain individuals. Ask your doctor for advice before consuming.
The manufacturer also warns people younger than 18 years of age and pregnant women not to consume Six Star 100% Whey Protein Plus. Furthermore, the product should not be taken as a sole source of nutrition:
Six Star 100% Whey Protein Plus Summary
- Good protein matrix. Combines WPC and WPI for lean muscle growth.
- Creatine monohydrate. Increases muscle mass and work capacity.
- Glutamine. Can help boost growth hormone levels.
- Maltodextrin. Post-workout carb for better and faster recovery.
- Sodium content. May be a bit too high for those with cardiovascular issues.
- Carrageenan. An additive which may cause digestive discomfort.
Pricing & Buying Info
- 1 2 pound container (18-Day Supply): $19.96
- 1 5 pound container (46-Day Supply): $49.99
- Available to buy online and in retail, inc. GNC, Amazon and big chains like Walgreen’s
Final Word on Six Star 100% Whey Protein Plus
Wonder no more how Russell Westbrook, Rob Gronkowski, and Giancarlo Stanton went about building their muscular physiques: training, sound nutrition, sleep, and Six Star 100% Whey Protein Plus. It’s a solid product which packs 30 grams of muscle-building protein per serving. Key ingredients such as creatine monohydrate, maltodextrin, glutamine, and BCAAs will help boost the recovery process.
It’s not a perfect product, by all means (the carrageenan content is a red flag). If you’re an active individual with no known health issues, Six Star 100% Whey Protein Plus should be a good product to include in your supplement stack.