Quickly now: Name a reputable protein blend whose ingredients stand out from the rest of the pack.
Well, it’s easier said than done. With the plethora of protein supplements on the market, you’d be hard-pressed to name one.
That’s where BSN SYNTHA-6 comes in. It’s one of those rare protein blends which assure the buyer his or her muscles will remain in an anabolic state with just one look at the ingredients.
This review should leave you flabbergasted, folks.
About BSN SYNTHA-6
BSN bills SYNTHA-6 as “an ultra-premium protein powder with 22g protein per serving,” “BSN’s best-tasting protein on the market,” “the go-to protein for any nutrition or exercise regimen,” and “the high standard of quality protein comes with taste to match, thanks to BSN®’s exclusive flavor technology.” Formula notes:
- Good protein matrix. Combines six protein components.
- High fiber content. Fifteen grams of fiber per serving.
- Comes in nine flavors. Choose from Banana, Chocolate Cake Batter, Chocolate Milkshake, Chocolate Peanut Butter, Cinnamon Bun, Cookies & Cream, Peanut Butter Cookie, Strawberry Milkshake, and Vanilla Ice Cream.
BSN SYNTHA-6 Supplement Facts (5 lbs., Chocolate Peanut Butter)
Serving Size: 1 Rounded Scoop (47.2 g)
Servings Per Container: About 48
Amount Per Serving / % Daily Value
|Calories From Fat||50|
|Total Fat||6 g 9%|
|Saturated Fat||2 g 10%|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Cholesterol 55 mg||55 mg 18%|
|Sodium||220 mg 9%|
|Potassium||300 mg 9%|
|Total Carbohydrates||15 g 5%|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g 20%|
|Protein||22 g 44%|
Ingredients: Protein Matrix Comprised Of (Whey Protein Concentrate [Milk], Whey Protein Isolate, Calcium Caseinate, Micellar Casein, Milk Protein Isolate, Egg Albumin, And Glutamine Peptides), Sunflower Powder (Sunflower Oil, Corn Syrup Solids, Sodium Caseinate, Mono- & Diglycerides, Dipotassium Phosphate, Tricalcium Phosphate, Soy Lecithin, And Tocopherols), Natural & Artificial Flavors, Cocoa Powder Processed With Alkali, Salt And Sodium Bicarbonate), Cellulose Gum, MCT Powder (Medium Chain Triglycerides, Non-Fat Dairy Milk, Disodium Phosphate, And Silicon Dioxide), Lecithin, Salt, Acesulfame Potassium, Sucralose, Papain, And Bromelain.
Directions For Syntha-6:
Recommended Use for Males: Take 1-2 scoops (equaling approx. 22-44 grams of protein) with 4-5 oz. to 8-10 oz. of cold water of any beverage of your choice respectively. Use approximately 4-5 oz. of liquid per 1 scoop of powder. Vary the amount of liquid to achieve your desired flavor an consistency. Drink 1-4 servings daily, or as needed to satisfy your protein or muscle enhancing requirements. To increase your protein intake per serving and to achieve an amazing milk shake taste, use non-fat or low fat milk.
Recommended Use for Females: Take 1 scoop (equaling approx. 22 grams of protein) with 4-5 oz. of cold water or any beverage of your choice. Vary the amount of liquid to achieve your desired flavor and consistency. Drink 1-4 servings daily, or as needed to satisfy your protein or body shaping requirements. To increase your protein intake per serving and to achieve an amazing milk shake taste, use non-fat or low fat milk or your favorite soy beverage.
A Heap of Ingredients in One Powerhouse Protein Supplement
The first time you lay your eyes on the ingredients list of BSN SYNTHA-6, your head will most likely spin. There are plenty of them.
Smart consumers do their research. When you come across a product like this, you got your work cut out for you. But hey, it’ll be worth it in the end (for tips on buying a good supplement, check this out).
Of course, the star of the show here is protein.
BSN SYNTHA-6 has 22 grams of protein per serving. Other noted protein blends such as MusclePharm Combat Protein Powder have the edge here – they have 25 grams of protein per scoop. That alone may sway some buyers to purchase something else.
The good news: Some consumers are not as particular with the amount of protein. They would rather get at least 20 grams of it per serving. For them, it’s all about quality. Quantity comes in second.
BSN SYNTHA-6 has a protein matrix comprised of whey protein concentrate (WPC), whey protein isolate (WPI), calcium caseinate, micellar casein, milk protein isolate, egg albumin, and glutamine peptides.
We say BSN SYNTHA-6’s protein blend is one of the most comprehensive on the market.
Most brands have four to five components in their protein matrix – BSN SYNTHA-6 tops them all with seven. You read that right.
If you’re torn between WPI and WPC, you can’t go wrong with BSN SYNTHA-6. The former is at least 90 percent protein while the latter is 7o to 80 percent protein. WPC has more macronutrient content (like good fats), but has a higher lactose content. WPI is a pure form of protein which has very little carb and fat content.
The manufacturer also throws in some medium-absorbing protein in the form of milk protein isolate and egg albumin for good measure.
Golden Era bodybuilders got a good dose of their protein fix from whole milk. A solitary scoop of egg protein powder yields roughly 24 grams of protein. Good combination right there.
As for the slow-absorbing protein, BSN SYNTHA-6 has calcium caseinate and micellar casein. The former is the by-product of changing the pH of milk. Manufacturers isolate the casein from milk protein and then combine it with calcium hydroxide. The end result is calcium caseinate.
This kind or protein can feed your muscles for up to 10 solid hours. It also has all of the essential amino acids to ensure effective post-workout recovery. You can attribute the high calcium and phosphorus components of BSN SYNTHA-6® to calcium caseinate.
BSN SYNTHA-6® also has micellar casein, the type of slow-absorbing protein which many fitness experts believe is the best of its kind. Among its benefits are premium quality, fat-loss prowess, and muscle retention abilities.
Typically, micellar casein keeps your muscles in an anabolic state for eight hours or so. Because of this, BSN SYNTHA-6 is also an ideal supplement to consume an hour before bedtime. Hard gainers will benefit immensely.
With BSN SYNTHA-6®, you got all of your protein needs covered.
But wait, there’s more.
To complement the excellent protein matrix, the manufacturer also included glutamine peptides. Glutamine – the most abundant amino acid in the body – helps facilitate the protein synthesis process, increase growth hormone levels, and boost the immune system.
It bears repeating: The protein matrix of BSN SYNTHA-6 is one of the best there is.
Let’s now break down the formula ingredients:
- Total Fat, 6 g: BSN SYNTHA-6 has a relatively high fat content. Again, we are not downplaying the important role of this macronutrient (fats assist in the growth and development process as well as help in the digestion of vitamins). It’s just that this product has more of it than the average protein blend (50 of the 200 calories per scoop are from fats). We attribute this to the heap of ingredients, particularly sunflower oil and canola oil (although it’s a good source of good fats, it may also contain a bit of the dreaded trans fats).
- Cholesterol, 55 mg: Just like fats, cholesterol has two kinds: The good and the bad. Just the same, BSN SYNTHA-6’s cholesterol content per serving is at par with most of its competitors.
- Sodium, 220 mg: BSN SYNTHA-6 has a pretty high sodium amount. Lee Hayward said it, folks: An adequate sodium intake can help active individuals prevent muscle cramps and muscular imbalances. However, we advise people who have cardiovascular concerns to consult with their doctor before purchasing BSN SYNTHA-6.
- Potassium, 300 mg: Just like its sodium content, BSN SYNTHA-6’s potassium levels are one of the highest we’ve seen in protein blends. Don’t get us wrong, you need potassium to help maintain healthy blood pressure. Too much of it, however, may result in cardiovascular issues such as low blood pressure and irregular heart rhythms. Again, check with your doctor first if these concern you.
- Total carbohydrates, 15 g: BSN SYNTHA-6’s Chocolate Peanut Butter flavor has 15 grams of carbs per serving. Those who want to build leaner muscle mass would be better off getting a simple whey protein isolate supplement. We like the fact it has five grams of dietary fiber per scoop for better digestion.
BSN SYNTHA-6 may not have the highest protein content, but it certainly has a great protein combination. Like we said, putting together WPI, WPC, calcium caseinate, micellar casein, egg albumin, and milk protein isolate will help keep your muscles in an anabolic state for hours.
You rarely come across a combination as comprehensive as this one. Cheers to the additional glutamine as well.
The cholesterol levels are at par with other protein blends. However, the sodium, potassium, fat, and carbohydrate content of BSN SYNTHA-6 are all relatively high. Even though this is the case, we have to stress their respective amounts are not exorbitantly high.
We’d like to tip our hat off to the manufacturer for a product which supplies 20 percent of the daily requirements for dietary fiber.
You rarely see a protein blend with that much. Like we already pointed out, this bodes well for better digestive health.
We also like the fact BSN SYNTHA-6 has a high calcium and phosphorus content. As you may know by now, these minerals are important for bone and teeth health as well as blood pressure.
On the plus side, BSN is transparent with this product’s ingredients. Proof of this is the absence of any proprietary blends. Consider that a winning proposition for the consumer.
In contrast, the number of ingredients may suggest the presence of fillers and weird exotics. Too bad (for protein supplements without nasty fillers, check out our other reviews here).
Finally, at 20o calories per scoop, BSN SYNTHA-6 is higher than other protein blends in this regard. We also noticed there are 50 calories of fat per serving. If you do the math, it comes each serving is comprised of 25% fats. Still reasonable, considering the ideal meal should have 20 percent fats.
BSN SYNTHA-6 Benefits
The manufacturer’s website says BSN SYNTHA-6 “supports muscle growth, supports muscle protein synthesis, and helps kick-start the recovery process.”
There’s no denying the product can do all these things with its impressive protein matrix consisting of WPI, WPC, calcium caseinate, micellar casein, egg albumin, and milk protein isolates. Making BSN Syntha-6 your go-to protein blend can help you grow lean muscle and boost your recovery.
Who Takes It?
BSN® says this product is meant for “any individual who wants an ultra-premium protein powder to help them reach their nutritional and physique goals.” We say this applies to any athlete or active person who is older than 18 years of age.
Any Side Effects?
While sodium intake is imperative (especially for active individuals), too much of it may be detrimental to those who have cardiovascular issues such as high blood pressure. The same applies to excessive potassium intake, which may affect those who have kidney and cardiovascular concerns.
BSN® is pretty succinct in its warning label:
BSN SYNTHA-6 Summary
- Great protein blend. Combines six kinds of protein for muscle growth.
- Transparent label. What you see is what you get.
- High calcium and phosphorus content. For healthy bones and teeth.
- Great taste. One of the best-tasting protein blends on the market.
- Reasonable price. $49.58 for a 5-lb. container.
- Possible inclusion of fillers. Too many unfamiliar ingredients.
- High sodium and potassium content. Check with your doctor first.
Pricing & Buying Info
- 5-serving container (5-Day Supply): $9.99
- 2.91-lb. container (28-Day Supply): $29.58
- 5-lb. container (48-Day Supply): $49.58
- 10-lb. container (97-Day Supply): $89.98
- Available online and in retail
Final Word on BSN SYNTHA-6
Does BSN SYNTHA-6 live up to its hype? Yes, we think so. We seldom come across a protein blend with a diverse combination such as this one. You are sure to remain in an anabolic state for hours.
Plus, you get a tasty protein blend supplement with a high amount of calcium and fiber. What’s not to like?
It’s not a perfect product by all means – the fairly high sodium and potassium content as well as the possible inclusion of fillers raised our eyebrows.
Nonetheless, we feel the positives outweigh the negatives. It may not be the best protein blend out there (we feel MusclePharm Combat Protein Powder is better), but it’s still worth a shot.