ON’s Gold Standard Pre-Workout is definitely making noise in the preworkout scene. Known for their famous 100% Whey Protein, ON’s Gold Standard Preworkout is pressured to be more than just ON’s other brand of supplements.
We see plenty of good stuff at the get-go. It seems the bottle isn’t the only thing made of gold here.
A bit questionable on the pricing but let’s take an objective look at the Gold Standard Pre-Workout formula itself. You can then decide if it really is as good as gold.
About ON Gold Standard Pre-Workout
Gold Standard Pre-Workout is making heads turn and it’s not just because of the damn fancy bottle. Packed with carefully selected premium ingredients and formulated with the right type of blends, ON’s entry in the PWO market is definitely worth craning your neck and seeing what it gets you bro! Formula notes:
- Premium ingredients: Creapure®, AstraGIN®, and CarnoSyn® are top of the line ingredients known for purity and effectiveness.
- Banned Substance Free: Great news for competitive lifters.
- Subjective price: This can be expensive or a bargain depending on how much you take per day.
Gold Standard Pre-Workout Supplement Facts
|Serving Size: 1 Scoop (10 g)
Servings Per Container: 30
|Ingredients||Amount Per Serving|
|Vitamin D (Cholecalciferol)||500 IU (125% DV)|
|Vitamin B1 (Thiamin HCl)||2.0 mg (133% DV)|
|Niacin (Nicotinic Acid)||20 mg (100% DV)|
|Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine HCl)||2 mg (100% DV)|
|Folic Acid||200 mcg (50% DV)|
|Vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin)||10 µg (360% DV)|
|Panthothenic Acid (D-Calcium Pantothenate)||10.0 mg (100% DV)|
Creatine Monohydrate (Creapure®)
AstraGIN® Proprietary Blend [Astragalus membranaceus Extract (root) & Panax notoginseng Extract (root)]
| 3 g
Beta-Alanine (As CarnoSyn®)
|Energy & Focus Complex
|Other Ingredients: Natural & Artificial Flavors, Citric Acid, Silicon Dioxide, Calcium Silicate, Caffeine (from Tea and/or Coffee Bean), Gum Blend (Cellulose Gum, Xanthan Gum, Carrageenan), Sucralose, Malic Acid, Tartaric Acid, Acesulfame Potassium, FD&C Red #40.|
|Directions: Mix each scoop with 6-8 oz of water and consume 20-30 minutes before training. Start with 1 scoop or less to assess your tolerance. DO NOT EXCEED 2 SCOOPS PER DAY.|
ON Gold Standard is a solid pre-workout capable of granting you gold standard performance.
With an above average formulation for the right price, the ON Gold Standard Preworkout is up there with the best PWOs in the business. Let’s take a closer look at what they’re packing:
- Vitamin B6 and B12: A small chink in its armor, ON uses inferior forms of B6 and B12. (the P-5-P and methylcobalamin forms of these B Vitamins are way better, respectively.)
- Vitamin D. The preferred natural form (D3) as a T-booster due to easier absorption.
- Vitamin B1, B3, and B9: Likely added as performance boosters.
- Panthothenic Acid: Good for recovery purposes.
- Creapure®: Top of the line brand for Creatine Monohydrate brand known for its purity hence the name.
- AstraGIN®: A premium absorption catalyst, we’re guessing it works like Black Pepper except it’s not black pepper. (we like Black Pepper extract for its bonus fat-burner activity)
- L-Citrulline Malate: Great addition to any PWO to fight fatigue. Works well with AstraGIN®, allegedly, although we don’t see evidence backing up that claim.
- CarnoSyn®: The highest quality beta-alanine on the market. The key difference is how long the effects last with CarnoSyn® and studies show CarnoSyn lasts up to 3 times longer in the blood. So yeah, longer tingles too bro.
Energy and Focus Complex
- Acetyl-L-Carnitine HCl: The best form of carnitine (ALCAR) when it comes to nootropic brain-boosting effects. It also helps metabolize fat for energy much like L-Carnitine
- N-Acetyl-L-Tyrosine: Also known as NALT, this is the right form of tyrosine for brain benefits, especially in stressed-out people. NALT is the form used by leading mental domination nootropic stacks, so it’s a great sign to see it in Gold Standard.
- Caffeine: Great stimulant and ON is proud to say it only gets it from natural sources.
- Citrus Bioflavonoids: Often cited for aiding muscle recovery, they may also help to maintain brain function via antioxidant activity.
The formulation is as solid as gold.
What we initially love about ON is how they showed each ingredient’s dosage which means they don’t want to keep their customers guessing or browsing for answers. They tell you what’s in your tub unlike other companies who likes the idea of using prop blends.
Ingredient choices are mostly great and while they do have their own share of hiccups, it’s not like it’ll make much of a difference anyway. I mean, those B-Vitamins aren’t really the highlight of the show, ‘nah mean? We care more about what can make us lift more and feel good afterwards.
Their Muscle Matrix and Performance Composite blends are definitely premium, especially with CarnoSyn and CreaPure, probably two of the best ingredients in any preworkout formulation. The stuff they put in here complement each other unlike other formulas that just dump random amounts just to make their labels look great. Yeah, we can mention some of them here but we ain’t into advertising stuff for free.
Their Energy and Focus Complex falls a bit (only a little bit!) short on function. Although we only notice this because it’s mixed right in with two premium blends. Although to be honest, a little bit of tweaking wouldn’t hurt the quality or hike the price up so much. I mean, it’s ON so it’s almost given the products aren’t cheap, ‘ya know?
Dosages are good enough but could be better especially with Citrulline as the guys in my gym would laugh at me if they found out I’m only taking 1.5 g. This could be easily remedied by taking two scoops but at the cost of emptying your tub faster. For the benefits and quality of ingredients we say it’s worth the price.
ON GOLD STANDARD PRE-WORKOUT Benefits
It’s definitely worth its name. It gets you energized, pumped, and provides decent amount of focus. It delivers on its promises and duly recommended for bros who like to buy from great companies. It can even help get your gains up. Talk about loading up ammo for them guns.
Who Takes It?
Their “Banned Substance Free” label tells you this preworkout is for serious lifters who like to compete without getting featured on Oprah as the next “Armstrong.” ON also made sure their caffeine sources are as natural as possible to somehow reduce the chances of us getting jittery or crashed.
Any Side Effects?
Except the usual tingling due to Beta-Alanine, especially with two scoops, nothing else worth noting as a side effect. The dosage for Caffeine isn’t really that high compared to most we see but if you’re sensitive, you might get the shakes.
ON Gold Standard Pre-Workout Summary
- Transparent dosage. Allows you to stack without guessing the numbers.
- Premium formulation. Ingredients work together and quality of each is above average.
- Can be “affordable.” Quality is at par with top-tier PWOs but with a decent price range.
- Good for newbies. Not too complex or too high-powered so it’s noob friendly.
- Not enough caffeine. Vets may shrug the caffeine at one scoop.
- Won’t last long. One tub may not be enough to last 2 weeks for most.
- Can be “expensive.” Two scoops is ideal but shortens the lifespan of the product.
Pricing & Buying Info
- 1 bottle (2-4 weeks): $25-$30
- Available online and in retail stores
Final Word on ON Gold Standard Pre-Workout
ON Gold Standard Pre-Workout is definitely more than a shiny golden bottle. Smart ingredient choices and blends backed by one of the best companies in the business, this is a great entry for ON in the preworkout market. The only issue we see is whether you identify as a one-scoop or a two-scoop.
If you’re a one-scoop then the tub should last a month but two-scoopers might realize why it’s called GOLD standard. We’re talking at least $50 a month for 30 days of training but seriously, it’s worth it if you can afford it.