When you buy creatine supplements you usually imagine some smart blend capable of maximizing creatine’s potential but y’all gotta ask yourself: Can creatine stand on its own?
Optimum Nutrition thinks so with its Micronized Creatine Powder and if there’s any brand who knows their stuff it’s the peeps at ON.
Optimum Nutrition boasts of having 99.9% micronized pure creatine but will it make a difference? Let’s go check it out!
About Optimum Nutrition Micronized Creatine
Look, creatine is creatine no matter how you look at it but ON Micronized Creatine seems to focus more on the form of creatine it offers. You know, selling the “I get absorbed faster = faster gains!” hype to creatine devotees. Well, ON’s got plenty of fans (myself included) so I won’t be surprised if no one questions their claims. Formula notes:
- Just Creatine: No blend, no secret sauce. No OTHER ingredients too.
- CreaPure™: Creapure is believed to be the best source of creatine known for quality and purity.
- Micronized: It’s a more absorbable form of creatine so it should also lessen the bloating.
Optimum Nutrition Micronized Creatine Supplement Facts
|Serving Size: 1 Rounded Teaspoon (5g)|
Servings Per Container: Approx. 114
|Ingredients||Amount Per Serving|
|Creatine Monohydrate||5 g|
|Directions for use: Add 1 rounded teaspoon of Micronized Creatine Powder with a glass filled with 8-12 oz of cold water or fruit juice. Then mix it up with a spoon. TIP: Power-up protein, meal-replacement, and weight-gainer shakes with a rounded teaspoon of Micronized Creatine Powder.|
Creatine Loading: Take 1 rounded teaspoon of Micronized Creatine Powder with morning, afternoon, and evening meals and 1 additional rounded teaspoon before going to bed for 4-5 days to help saturate your muscles with creatine.
Creatine Maintenance: Take 1 rounded teaspoon of Micronized Creatine Powder with a meal or immediately after training with your post workout protein shake. TIP: Drink at least eight glasses of water daily when supplementing with creatine. Consuming simple carbohydrates with creatine may help improve overall effectiveness.
Creatine is creatine no matter how fancy it gets
The creatine industry is as saturated as table salt. No really, it is. Companies are running out of fresh new ideas to reinvent the wheel and the supplement industry has reinvented the same wheel over and over again for decades. We like the micronized approach but we’re not sure if it’s worth all the hype. Let’s break down the ingredients in this formula:
- Creatine Monohydrate as CreaPureTM. This is the one and only ingredient in this bottle. It’s sourced from CreaPure and it’s the kind of form you want in any creatine supplement. While being micronized doesn’t necessarily translate to better performance (vs plain creatine), it should make it easier to mix, swallow, and hypothetically reduce bloating.
We love creatine so much you won’t find a single fitness buff to tell you otherwise. Creatine Monohydrate, on its own, is as straightforward and effective on its own. You only really have to worry about the purity or quality but ON took care of that by sourcing it from arguably the best creatine producer in the planet so kudos to that!
What’s the deal with being micronized, though?
Many people seem to think micronization makes you gain more than if you just took any ordinary creatine product but it’s not exactly the case. In fact, the only observable benefit it has is better solubility and reduced bloating as it’s easier absorbed.
Just because it’s easier absorbed doesn’t mean it gets to your muscles faster, though. It just means your creatine is skipping the long line by showing its VIP card to your gut’s bouncer.
The amount of creatine the body absorbs is dependent on your body, not the product itself, and even ordinary creatine is absorbed as much as its micronized counterpart but just at a slower rate. This slow rate of absorption is what causes the bloating we all hate so yeah, we love micronizing creatine but let’s not get ahead of ourselves and say it’s much better than plain creatine.
Optimum Nutrition Micronized Creatine Benefits
It gives what creatine is supposed to provide: Gains, Performance, Recovery, and that feeling of satisfaction knowing your training day just got better.
Who Takes It?
It’s for anyone. Newbies, fanatics, stack builders, you name it. The better question would be who WOULDN’T take it and you got me there. I mean, it’s creatine. It’s probably the most unconditionally loved ingredient in the fitness industry, kinda like the Gandhi of supplements. The micronized benefit might be for those who is eager to find a solution to their lumpy mix or want creatine minus the bloating even if they have to spend a tiny bit more.
Any Side Effects?
The usual suspects include short term weight gain due to water retention and, even if it’s micronized, bloating especially when you take too much.
Optimum Nutrition Micronized Creatine Summary
- Just Creatine. Take it as it was meant to be taken.
- Stackable. Add your favorite ingredients!
- Easier for the gut. Reduced bloating.
- Soluble. No more tired wrists due to excessive shaking and stirring.
- No fluff. No fillers, additives, and colorants.
- Quality brand. Dude, it’s from ON.
- For everyone. Newbies, old lifters, purists, they can all enjoy it.
- Sizes. From 150 to 2000 gram bottles.
- Good price. Premium with a wallet-friendly price range.
- Boring. Some want an absorption-booster in their creatine.
- Same effects. Micronized doesn’t make it really THAT better.
- No flavor. They may not like the taste of pure powder.
Pricing & Buying Info
- 1 bottle (150 g): $5.91
- 300 g: $8.70
- 600 g: $14.43
- 1200 g: $29.74
- 2000 g: $39.99
- Available online and in retail stores
Final Word on Optimum Nutrition Micronized Creatine
Optimum Nutrition Micronized Creatine is as good as any standalone premium creatine brands can get. Like we said, creatine is creatine micronized or not. It might be too normal for some but we think being plain and boring is better for long term. The only factor you should be worried about is the source and form and knowing ON, you’re in good hands.