Maybe you’re looking for a potent eye support formula.
You’ve seen several products, but all they promise are useless quick fixes.
Of course, you want something which guarantees great long-term eye health for a better quality of life.
Enter Jarrow Formulas Vision Optimizer.
This product has glowing credentials. May customers swear by it.
We will find out for ourselves how great this product is in this review.
About Jarrow Formulas Vision Optimizer
Jarrow Formulas Vision Optimizer is the “Multimodal Vision Support Formula” which “supports visual function and ocular antioxidant status,” per its official website. Formula notes:
- Impressive ingedient combo. Manufacturer covers all the bases in terms of eye health.
- Potent dose of taurine. Five hundred milligrams per serving.
- Mega doses of Vitamins B and C. Helps boost long-term health as well.
Jarrow Formulas Vision Optimizer Supplement Facts (90 Capsules)
|Serving Size: 3 Capsules|
Servings Per Container: 30
|Nutrient||Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value|
|Vitamin C (as ascorbic acid)||200 mg||220%|
|Vitamin E (as d-alpha tocopherol)||11 mg†||70%|
|Vitamin B1 (as thiamin mononitrate)||12 mg||1,000%|
|Vitamin B2 (as riboflavin)||10 mg||770%|
|Vitamin B3 (as niacinamide)||100 mg||630%|
|Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine HCl)||12 mg||710%|
|Selenium (as methylselenocysteine)||10 mcg||20%|
|Blackcurrant Extract (Ribes nigrum)(20% polyphenols) (fruit)||100 mg||††|
|Alpha Lipoic Acid||100 mg||††|
|Gamma Tocopherol||100 mg||††|
|Grape Seed Extract (Vitis vinifera L.) (95% polyphenols)||100 mg||††|
|Eyebright (Euphrasia officinalis) (leaf)||100 mg||††|
|Lutein (from esters) (Tagetes erecta) (marigold petal extract)||10 mg||††|
|Zeaxanthin (from esters) (Tagetes erecta) (marigold petal extract)||2 mg||††|
|Other Ingredients: Maltodextrin, magnesium stearate (vegetable source), silicon dioxide and cellulose. Capsule consists of gelatin.|
|Suggested Usage: Take 3 capsules per day with food or as directed by your qualified healthcare professional.|
The Visual Function Supplement
You may have been neglecting your eye health for too long.
After all, you may think you’re young and macular degeneration and the like are still light years away.
Visual impairment can happen any time – a hard hit you take after playing hockey, for instance.
Your eyesight can also suffer if you read in dim light or don’t meet your recommended daily intake for Vitamin A.
Besides, how can you conquer your workouts at the gym if your vision isn’t 100 percent?
Take care of your eyes now.
Enter Jarrow Formulas Vision Optimizer.
The manufacturer dubs it its “Multimodal Vision Support Formula” which “supports visual function and ocular antioxidant status,” per its official website.
We like it. Many vision products focus on quick fixes. With the inclusion of ocular antioxidants, we get the impression the folks at Jarrow Formulas are aiming for long-term ocular health.
The star of the show is 500 milligrams of taurine per serving.
If you’re into post-workout supplementation, you will find this amino acid in many such products.
Here are some of its bodybuilding benefits:
- Helps enhance water balance and nutrient uptake
- Increases alertness
- Boosts heart health
- Helps regulate blood pressure levels
- Keeps dehydration at bay
As you can see, taurine is the perfect post-workout ingredient because of its ability to boost nutrient uptake – a critical facet of the supplementation during the anabolic window.
Now, who would ever have thought a top-notch vision product such as Jarrow Formulas Vision Optimizer would have taurine in it?
It turns out taurine is a must for good eye health, folks.
“Taurine, together with zinc, is also required for proper eye health and vision,” per OrthoMolecular.org.
“A deficiency may impair vision and problems with fat metabolism may appear, and a theory exists that it may also be involved in epilepsy developing,” per the same source.
Good for you if you have been taking a post-w0rkout supplement with taurine. We’re sure it has helped shorten your recovery and maintain good eye health.
It’s clear the manufacturer believes in the power of taurine – it is the most abundant ingredient in Jarrow Formulas Vision Optimizer.
Next up is 300 milligrams of quercetin per serving.
This “is an antioxidant that supports lens architecture,” per Jarrow Formulas’ official website.
Quercetin is also a flavonoid (the substance which is responsible for the vibrant colors of fruits and vegetables).
However, its most impressive benefit is its ability to ward off free radicals.
Researchers say quercetin helps protect the retina (the part of the eye which helps convert the light from the lens to signals, which, in turn, it sends to the brain).
If your retina is out of whack, you won’t be able to see colors clearly.
On the other hand, a healthy retina results in better vision. Quercetin can help you achieve that.
Plus it helps keep cataracts (protein buildup in the lens which results in blurry vision) at bay.
We’re glad it’s in Jarrow Formulas Vision Optimizer.\
This vision supplement also has 100 milligrams of blackcurrant extract from New Zealand per serving.
This ingredient “contains powerful polyphenol antioxidants that reduce eye fatigue and promote eye comfort,” per Jarrow Formulas’ official website.
The secret: blackcurrants are loaded with GLA and linoleic acid, which help promote the eyes’ ability to become accustomed to the dark.
These two substances also help promote better eye blood flow, which explains why your eyes feel more rested when you consume blackcurrant.
Score one for the Jarrow Formulas team.
This supplement has another potent eye antioxidant in alpha lipoic acid (100 milligrams per serving).
Also known as ALA, It is a non-vitamin nutrient which helps increase glutathione (a potent antioxidant) blood levels by as much as 40 percent.
Thus, ALA helps keep free radicals at bay and ward off cataracts.
Free radical buildup in the eyes is caused by two things: overexposure to sunlight and smoking.
When you consume a vision support supplement with ALA such as Jarrow Formulas Vision Optimizer, the said ingredient keeps oxidation at bay.
The result: long-term clear eyesight.
We feel 100 milligrams per serving will go a long way.
Jarrow Formulas Vision Optimizer also has 100 milligrams of gamma tocopherol (a form of Vitamin E) per serving.
Health experts claim Vitamin E is the most potent fat-soluble antioxidant the body produces.
They believe gamma tocopherol helps ward off cataracts and age-related macular degeneration.
In addition, it helps keep uveitis (inflammation of the eye’s middle layer) at bay.
Their findings reveal people who consume Vitamin E regularly have better lens clarity than those who don’t.
With that, we’re stoked Jarrow Formulas Vision Optimizer has gamma tocopherol.
This product also has 100 milligrams of grape seed extract per serving.
Its label says this ingredient is made up of 95 percent polyphenol.
“Grape seed extract supports the strength of capillaries and other blood vessels in the eyes,” per the product’s official website.
We already told you what polyphenol can do for your eyes. When you supplement with Jarrow Formulas Vision Optimizer, you get a double dose of polyphenol because of its blackcurrant extract and grape seed extract components.
Another key ingredient is 100 milligrams of Eyebright (Euphrasia officinalis) per serving.
People have been using this ingredient since the 14th century, and with good reason – it is versatile and effective.
Experts believe Eyebright is a potent anti-inflammatory ingredient. It helps reduce inflammation caused by blepharitis (infection of the eyelash follicles) and conjuctivitis (infection of the membrane lining the eyelids).
Individuals have been using Eyebright for more than 700 years. This tells you it is a potent vision supplement ingredient.
Finally, Jarrow Formulas Vision Optimizer has 10 milligrams of lutein per serving and two milligrams of zeaxanthin per serving.
These “are critical antioxidant carotenoids for the macula of the eyes” and “reduce age-related increases in the lens’ density,” per the manufacturer’s official website.
They are also common ingredients in many vision support supplements. Both of them have proven benefits.
Most of the said products have around 10-20 milligrams of lutein per serving.
On the other hand, most of them have between one to five milligrams of zeaxanthin per serving.
We feel their amounts in Jarrow Formulas Vision Optimizer will suffice.
Let’s check out the formula ingredients:
- Vitamin C (as ascorbic acid), 200 mg: You may have thought Vitamin C was the best remedy for warding off the common cold. You’re right. However, ascorbic acid also acts as a powerful antioxidant which helps maintain healthy blood vessels in the eyes. This product’s 220 percent of the daily value (anything more than 15 percent is high) should be able to do that.
- Vitamin E (as d-alpha tocopherol), 11 mg: This vitamin helps keep uveitis, cataracts, and age-related macular degeneration at bay.
- Vitamin B1 (as thiamine mononitrate), 12 mg: This is far and away the most abundant ingredient in Jarrow Formulas Vision Optimizer at a whopping 1,000 percent of the daily value. Some health experts believe optimum levels of thiamine can help boost night vision.
- Vitamin B2 (as riboflavin), 10 mg: We have several good reasons why you should never take riboflavin for granted: some fitness experts believe a deficiency may result in blurry vision. It may also result in itchy, bloodshot, or watery eyes. Plus, insufficient Vitamin B2 levels may result in fatigued eyes. This supplement’s incredible 770 percent of the daily value for riboflavin should take care of those concerns.
- Vitamin B3 (as niacinamide), 100 mg: Acts as an antioxidant to help ward off cataracts. However, the Mayo Clinic says this B Vitamin may cause blurry vision (ironic, isn’t it?). It may also “increase blood sugar levels” and “the risk of bleeding,” per the same source. Please bear in mind Jarrow Formulas Vision Optimizer has 630 percent of the daily value for Vitamin B3. Take the necessary precaution, folks.
- Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine HCl), 12 mg: According the to the University of Maryland Medical Center, “Women who took 50 mg of Vitamin B6 daily, along with 1,000 mcg of cyanocobalamin (Vitamin B12) and 2,500 mcg of folic acid, reduced their risk of AMD (age-related macular degeneration).” Jarrow Formulas Vision Optimizer’s incredible 770 percent of the daily value for Vitamin B6 makes sure you reap this awesome benefit.
- Selenium (as methylselenocysteine), 10 mcg: This mineral helps ward off age-related macular degeneration and cataracts. Jarrow Formulas Vision Optimizer is a decent source at 20 percent of the daily value.
- Taurine, 500 mg: The main ingredient of Jarrow Formulas Vision Optimizer. A low intake may result in poor vision. We’re confident 500 grams per serving will get the job done.
- Quercetin, 300 mg: A flavonoid which helps keep free radicals and cataracts at bay, protect the retina, and improve eyesight. This much per serving should be optimal.
- Blackcurrant extract (Ribes nigrum)(20 percent polyphenols)(fruit), 100 mg: This woody shrub’s GLA and linoleic acid content helps reduce eye fatigue. The result: better night vision and eye blood flow. Awesome.
- Alpha lipoic acid, 100 mg: Also known as ALA, this nutrient staves off free radical buildup. It also helps keep cataracts at bay. It will help you enjoy long-term clear eyesight.
- Gamma tocopherol, 100 mg: Simply known as Vitamin E, this ingredient is a powerful antioxidant which helps stop cataracts, age-related macular degeneration, and uveitis (inflammation of the eye’s middle layer) in their tracks.
- Grape seed extract (Vitis vinifera L.) (95 percent polyphenols), 100 mg: A vital ingredient which boosts capillary and blood vessel strength in the eyes. It also gives your eyes a potent double dose of polyphenols to reduce ocular inflammation. Fantastic.
- Eyebright (Euphrasia officinalis)(leaf), 100 mg: A time-tested her which helps reduce eye inflammation. We believe this much will go a long way.
- Lutein (from esters)(Tagetes erecta)(marigold petal extract), 10 mg: A common vision support product ingredient acts as an antioxidant. It helps offset the detrimental effects of too much sun exposure and poor nutrition on the eyes.
- Zeaxanthin (from esters) (Tagetes erecta) (marigold petal extract), 2 mg: A component of the macula which helps filter out sunlight. Direct eye exposure to the sun may damage the eyes. Zeaxanthin helps offset that.
The manufacturer hailed Jarrow Formulas Vision Optimizer as its “Multimodal Vision Support Formula,” per its official website.
We feel “multimodal” is the perfect adjective to describe this vision support supplement.
You can also add “versatile” or any related synonym for that matter, folks.
After a thorough analysis, we say Jarrow Formulas Vision Optimizer is a bona fide game changer.
You saw the ingredients. You’ve seen how they can raise antioxidant levels in your eyes for long-term health.
Simply put, this product attacks eye issues from every conceivable angle.
By consuming 500 milligrams of taurine per serving, you have taken the first step in boosting your eye health.
Not only that, it also helps complement your post-workout nutrition (like we said, taurine has many post-workout benefits).
Key 100-milligram servings of blackcurrant extract, ALA, gamma tocopherol, grape seed extract, and Eyebright will go a long way.
These ingredients should help reduce inflammation and eye fatigue, keep free radicals at bay, ward off age-related macular degeneration and cataracts, and improve long-term vision.
The inclusions of proven eye support ingredients such as lutein and zeaxanthin serve as an insurance policy.
We tip our hats off to the manufacturer for the mega doses of Vitamins B and C – these are not only good for your eyes, but your long-term health as well.
We also laud the folks at Jarrow Formulas for their great transparency – they divulge all of the ingredient amounts.
No shady proprietary blends, either. Bravo.
Just about the only red flag we spotted was the possible side effects of its Vitamin B3 content.
Health experts say it may cause blurry vision and increase blood sugar levels and bleeding.
Bear in mind this product has an astonishing 630 percent of the daily value for Vitamin B3.
If this concerns you, please consult a doctor before purchasing Jarrow Formulas Vision Optimizer.
Jarrow Formulas Vision Optimizer Benefits
Jarrow Formulas Vision Optimizer has the following benefits, per its official website:
- Proven Multimodal Vision Support Formula
- Includes 10 milligrams of lutein per serving
- More than 15 vitamins, phytonutrients, and herbs
- Has 100 milligrams of blackcurrant extract per serving
We agree with all of these claims. We believe Jarrow Formulas Vision Optimizer will help boost your long-term eye health.
Who Takes It?
Jarrow Formulas Vision Optimizer is intended for individuals over the age of 18 who want to improve their long-term eyesight.
Any Side Effects?
Jarrow Formulas Vision Optimizer has 630 percent of the daily value for Vitamin B3. While this vitamin has several health benefits, it may also result in poor vision, elevated blood sugar levels, and bleeding.
If you are monitoring your blood sugar levels or have bleeding tendencies, please consult your physician before consuming.
The manufacturer also issues a warning:
Jarrow Formulas Vision Optimizer Summary
- Impressive ingredient combo. Covers all the bases in terms of eye health.
- Potent dose of taurine. Five hundred milligrams per serving, to be precise.
- Double dose of polyphenols. Courtesy of blackcurrant extract and grape seed extract components.
- Includes lutein and zeaxanthin. Two time-tested eye health ingredients.
- Mega doses of Vitamins B and C. Your overall health will also benefit.
- Great transparency. No shady proprietary blends. Thumbs up.
- Good reputation. Customers have given it good marks online.
- High Vitamin B3 content. May increase blood sugar levels and cause poor vision.
Pricing & Buying Info
- 1 Bottle (30-Day Supply): $19.94
- Available online and in retail
Final Word on Jarrow Formulas Vision Optimizer
The verdict is out, folks: Jarrow Formulas Vision Optimizer is a bona fide game changer.
It’s easy to see this product covers all the bases in terms of long-term eye health.
Some supplements resort to quick fixes, but not this one.
Overall, the ingredients are of superior quality. Just be wary of the high Vitamin B3 content, which may result in some side effects.
We highly recommend you buy Jarrow Formulas Vision Optimizer so you can improve not only your eyesight, but your overall quality of life as well.