With all the vision supplements out on the market, we don’t blame you if you’re confused.
Well, we’re always here to help, folks.
We have a good feeling you should put Blackmores Macu-Vision on your shortlist.
It’s an Aussie supplement, mind you. Supplements from down under have a stellar reputation.
We’re confident we can include Blackmores Macu-Vision in that same stratosphere.
Enjoy the review, as usual.
About Blackmores Macu-Vision
Blackmores Macu-Vision “is a source of antioxidant nutrients. It helps defend against free radical damage in the macular region of the retina and the lens of the eye,” per its official website. Formula notes:
- Science-backed ingredients. Obviously patterned after a National Eye Institute study known as AREDS 2.
- No glaring weaknesses. Perhaps the only one is its unknown reputation.
- Affordable. One 90-tablet bottle costs roughly $30.93.
Blackmores Macu-Vision Supplement Facts (90 Tablets)
|Serving Size: 1 Tablet
Servings Per Container: 90
|Nutrient||Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value|
|Ascorbic acid (Vitamin C)||250 mg||*|
|d-alpha tocopheryl acid succinate (Vitamin E 2oo IU)||165 mg||*|
|Zinc oxide (zinc 40 mg)||49.8 mg||*|
|Cupric oxide (copper 1 mg)||1.3 mg||*|
|Ingredients: No added yeast, gluten, wheat, milk derivatives, preservatives, artificial colours, flavours or sweeteners.|
Adults – Take 1 tablet daily with main meal, or as professionally prescribed.
Children – Not recommended for children under 18 years of age.
Antioxidant Formula for Macular Eye Health
We hope you’ve read our B5 vision product reviews, folks.
You’ll notice the trend nowadays is to bombard your eyes with antioxidants.
That’s the sure-fire way of optimizing macular health.
Take Herbs of Gold Macu-Guard With Bilberry 10000, for instance – it has a ton of antioxidants from bilberry fruit extract, lutein, zeaxanthin, vitamin C, and copper.
Had it not been for the price ($44.41 per 60-tablet bottle), we would have given it a perfect grade.
Now, make way for another Aussie vision product – Blackmores Macu-Vision.
This supplement “is a source of antioxidant nutrients. It helps defend against free radical damage in the macular region of the retina and the lens of the eye,” per its official website.
Sure sounds good to us. We hope Blackmores Macu-Vision exceeds our expectations.
This product keeps it simple. It has only four key ingredients.
Obviously, Blackmores Macu-Vision’s antioxidant arsenal isn’t as exhaustive as the competition’s.
You won’t find staple ingredients such as bilberry extract, lutein, and zeaxanthin here.
Instead, you’ll find four components which should make a difference.
It’s quite obvious the inspiration behind Blackmores Macu-Vision is The Age-Related Eye Disease Study (AREDS), a clinical study which the National Eye Institute sponsored in October 2001.
“The specific daily amounts of antioxidants and zinc used by the study researchers were 500 milligrams of vitamin C, 400 International Units of vitamin E, 15 milligrams of beta-carotene, 80 milligrams of zinc as zinc oxide, and two milligrams of copper as cupric oxide,” per the institute’s official website.
It’s no coincidence these are the same ingredients found in Blackmores Macu-Vision (with the exception of beta-carotene or vitamin A).
According to the Cleveland Clinic’s official website, the National Eye Institute reformulated the AREDS formula because the high amount of zinc may result in nausea as well as stomach, urinary tract, and kidney stone issues.
Furthermore, the institute removed beta-carotene from the original formula because of its link to lung carcinogenicity issues among former smokers.
First up is 250 milligrams of ascorbic acid (vitamin C) per serving (one tablet).
Perhaps you’ve long associated vitamin C with the common cold.
Well, it can do more than that. Much more.
For starters, ascorbic acid is a powerful antioxidant which helps protect the eyes from free radical damage.
It also helps form connective tissue in the cornea, the front part of the eye which refracts light and supplies roughly two-thirds of the eye’s optical power.
Not only that, but it also helps improve blood vessel health. This includes the capillaries found in the retina.
Ascorbic acid also helps ward off cataracts and glaucoma.
Don’t forget about vitamin C’s other important health benefits:
- Helps boost the immune system
- Improves heart health
- Regulates blood pressure levels
- Improves skin health
- Repairs cartilage
Two hundred fifty milligrams of vitamin C per serving is right on the industry average.
We say it’s optimal for healthy eyesight.
The second key ingredient is 165 milligrams of d-alpha tocopheryl acid succinate (vitamin E) per serving.
Some experts hail this as the best form of vitamin E because it is teeming with antioxidants.
Well, we’re absolutely thrilled it’s in Blackmores Macu-Vision.
For starters, vitamin E is known for keeping macular degeneration at bay. Some experts say it can reduce the possibility by as much as 25 percent.
Plus, vitamin E helps stop cataracts dead in their tracks. This ingredient’s ability to protect the intraocular lens against free radical damage is the key.
Vitamin E also has other crucial health benefits:
- Helps protect cells against oxidation
- Improves circulation
- Plays a key role in red blood cell formation
- Increases vitamin K utilization in the blood clotting process
You can be sure Blackmores Macu-Vision’s potent antioxdidant combo of vitamin C and vitamin E will boost your macular health like no other.
The third key component is 49.8 milligrams of zinc oxide per serving.
Okay, your jaw may have dropped when you read that one. We don’t blame you.
Zinc oxide is a rare vision support supplement ingredient. On that note, you may be wondering what’s it doing in Blackmores Macu-Vision.
Well, it’s there to help ward off macular degeneration.
Some eye health experts say zinc works best when it works in combination with other eye health ingredients (especially copper).
Don’t forget about zinc’s other vital health benefits:
- Increases testosterone levels
- Improves sleep quality
- Wards off nasty free radicals
- Increases immunity
- Regulates blood sugar levels
- Improves heart and liver health
- Repairs muscle tissue
You can see for yourself zinc is a Jack of all trades.
The final ingredient of Blackmores Macu-Vision is 1.3 milligrams of cupric oxide (copper 1 milligram) per serving.
In a nutshell, copper also acts as an antioxidant for better vision and protection against age-related macular degeneration.
Copper binds with zinc. When joined together, they form a potent combo for optimum eye health.
All in all, Blackmores Macu-Vision is a simple and straightforward eye health supplement which should give you a good return on your investment.
Let’s check out the formula ingredients:
- Ascorbic acid (vitamin C), 250 mg: A powerful antioxidant which helps form connective tissue in the cornea, regulate eye blood vessel health, and ward off cataracts and glaucoma. Vitamin C also helps improve heart health, regulate the immune system, repair cartilage, and keep the common cold at bay.
- D-alpha tocopheryl succinate (vitamin E 200 IU), 165 mg: The best form of vitamin E because of its impressive antioxidant profile. This ingredient helps stop macular degeneration and cataracts dead in their tracks. Vitamin E also helps boost circulation, assist in red blood cell formation, and protect cells against oxidation.
- Zinc oxide (zinc 40 mg), 49.8 mg: Combines with zinc to help keep age-related macular degeneration at bay. Zinc also helps ramp up testosterone levels, improve sleep quality, regulate the immune system, boost heart and liver health, and repair muscle tisue.
- Cupric oxide (copper 1 mg), 1.3 mg: A form of copper which binds with zinc for better protection against age-related macular degeneration and improved overall vision health.
If you’ve long wanted to have a vision support supplement which is the embodiment of AREDS 2, you’ve found it, folks.
From the get-go, the manufacturer emphasized the antioxidant content of Blackmores Macu-Vision for impeccable eye health.
Granted, it’s not as exhaustive as other vision support products, but it’ll get the job done.
You can’t go wrong with vitamin C, a component which has gained serious traction in many eye health supplements.
It’s abilities to improve connective tissue and blood vessel health in the eyes is second to none.
For its part, vitamin E is a sure-fire way to keep cataracts and age-related macular degeneration (AMD) at bay.
The combined powers of zinc and copper further decrease the chances of getting AMD. Nothing could be better than that.
You will also reap the other health benefits of the four ingredients. These range from improved heart health, a stronger immune system, and so much more.
We also give props to the folks at Blackmores for their transparency – they reveal all of the ingredient amounts.
No shady proprietary blends and fillers, either. Blackmores Macu-Vision is a clean vision supplement from top to bottom.
The price for a 90-tablet bottle is also reasonable at approximately $30.93.
That’s a good bargain, folks – one purchase will last you three months or so.
We found no glaring weaknesses in Blackmores Macu-Vision (perhaps the lone exception is its unknown reputation). It’s a simple eye health supplement worth your while.
Blackmores Macu-Vision Benefits
Blackmores Macu-Vision has the following benefits, per its official website:
- Helps preserve macular eye health
- Improves overall vision
- Has natural vitamin E which has better absorption properties than its synthetic counterpart
We agree with all of these claims. Blackmores Macu-Vision can help improve your long-term eye health in more ways than one.
Who Takes It?
The manufacturer intended Blackmores Macu-Vision for individuals who are at least 18 years of age who want to preserve macular eye health, improve long-term vision, and improve their overall quality of life.
Any Side Effects?
The manufacturer cautions against large intakes of zinc on its warning label:
If this, or any other ingredient, makes you feel doubtful, please consult your physician before purchasing.
Blackmores Macu-Vision Summary
- Good ingredient combo. Reminiscent of those used in AREDS 2.
- Has vitamin C and vitamin E. Two vitamins which help shore up eye health.
- Has zinc and copper. Potent combo helps keep age-related macular degeneration at bay.
- Great transparency. Manufacturer reveals all of the ingredient amounts. Thumbs up.
- Clean ingredients. Typical Aussie supplement – clean as a whistle. Awesome.
- Affordable. One 90-tablet bottle costs roughly $30.93.
- Unknown reputation. Just about the lone chink in its armor.
Pricing & Buying Info
- 1 90-Tablet Bottle (90-Day Supply): $30.93
- Available online and in retail
Final Word on Blackmores Macu-Vision
We’re on a roll, folks.
We’ve been sizing up quality vision supplements one after the other. Count Blackmores Macu-Vision as one of them.
Hey, if the manufacturer patterned your eye health supplement’s ingredients after a renowned study (such as AREDS 2), it’s worth it.
With that, we highly recommend you buy Blackmores Macu-Vision and enjoy healthy eyesight for years to come.