If you want a testosterone booster which has insane amounts of B vitamins, WEIDER PRIME should be right up your alley. This review gives you the lowdown and more.
About WEIDER PRIME
The manufacturer considers WEIDER PRIME its “Healthy Testosterone Support” which aims to “improve performance” and “reduce body fat,” per its official website. Formula notes:
- Insane vitamin B6 and vitamin B12 amounts. Five hundred percent and 2,000 percent of the daily value, respectively.
- Extra health benefits. Will boost heart health, strengthen bones, and improve antioxidant protection, among other things.
- Potency. Not as powerful as some of the leading t-boosters on the market.
WEIDER PRIME Supplement Facts (60 capsules)
|Serving Size: 2 Capsules|
Servings Per Container: 30
|Nutrient||Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value|
|Vitamin D3 (as cholecalciferol)||400 IU||100%|
|Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine hydrochloride)||10 mg||500%|
|Vitamin B12 (as metyhlcobalamin)||120 mcg||2000%|
|Calcium (as dicalcium phosphate)||35 mg||4%|
|Zinc (as mono L-methionine sulfate)(L-OptiZinc®)||15 mg||100%|
|Chromium (as chromium picolinate)(Chromax®)||200 mcg||167%|
|Diindolymethane (DIM)||50 mg||**|
|Ashwagandha Extract (root)(KSM-66®)||675 mg||**|
|Cordyceps Extract (mycelia)||390 mg||**|
|Piperine (from Black Pepper)(Bioperine®)||5 mg||**|
|Other ingredients: Gelatin Capsule (bovine), Silicon Dioxide, Magnesium Stearate.|
|Directions: Use 2 capsules with food, morning or afternoon.|
Healthy Testosterone Support
If you’re a man in your thirties, supplementing with a top-notch testosterone booster should help you make some serious gains. Testosterone is the male sex hormone whose levels decline once a male reaches his thirties. When you ramp up your testosterone levels, great things happen:
- Increased muscle mass, strength, energy levels, and fat loss
- Shorter recovery time
- Improved libido and cardiovascular function
- Enhanced cognitive function
There’s no way you should pass up on these incredible benefits. Reaping them beyond your thirties should improve your overall quality of life. That’s why you should check out some of the best t-boosters on the market. Prime Male has emerged as the best among the lot because of is premium d-aspartic acid content, among other things.
On that note, it should be interesting to see if we can mention WEIDER PRIME in the same breath. The manufacturer dubs it its “Healthy Testosterone Support” which aims to “improve performance” and “reduce body fat,” per its official website.
So many bodybuilding supplement manufacturers make that same claim. However, the name “Weider” should ring a bell among fitness enthusiasts. We’re talking about Joe Weider, the co-founder of the International Federation of Bodybuilders (IFBB) and creator of Mr. Olympia. Mr. Weider’s name is synonymous with quality and excellence. We’re hoping WEIDER PRIME exceeds everybody’s lofty expectations.
Ashwagandha Extract (Root)(KSM-66), 675 milligrams
One serving of WEIDER PRIME consists of two capsules. Leading the charge are 675 milligrams of ashwagandha extract (root)(KSM-66) per serving. This is an Indian adaptogenic herb which you can also find in many nootropics.
Experts believe KSM-66 is teeming with withanolides, its active ingredient. Because of this, KSM-66 is the perhaps the most potent ashwagandha brand on the market today. The secret lies in the inclusion of ashwagandha roots, which help you reap its full spectrum of benefits:
- Increases testosterone levels, strength, endurance, and fat loss
- Keeps stress, cortisol (stress hormone), and cholesterol levels in check
- Improves sleep quality and exercise performance
- Enhances mental cognition
In terms of ashwagandha root extract’s testosterone-boosting prowess, the November 28, 2013 issue of Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine (via NCBI.NLM.NIH.gov) says, “Treatment with the ashwagandha root extract resulted in a higher level of testosterone and a concomitant increase in serum levels of LH among infertile men having suboptimal testosterone levels before therapy.”
While some t-booster components such as d-aspartic acid and fenugreek extract have received mixed reactions from fitness experts, ashwagandha root extract has put their doubts to rest. After all, people have been using it for the past six thousand years or so (a testimony to its effectiveness). We’re stoked WEIDER PRIME has the ashwagandha extract (root)(KSM-6). It should blow you away.
Cordyceps Extract (Mycelia), 390 milligrams
This ingredient refers to a Chinese mushroom which has made an impact since the 15th century. The October 24, 2106 issue of Austin Andrology (via ResearchGate.net) vouches for its testosterone-boosting potential and role as an aphrodisiac. It says cordyceps “has the potential to modulate reproductive activity and restore the impaired reproductive function by directly affecting the release of sexual hormones such as testosterone from Leydig cells and estrogen and progesterone from granulosa or theca cells.”
The reality: most studies on its testosterone enhancement abilities involved animal subjects. Nevertheless, there are high hopes it can make a difference in humans.
On the other hand, cordyceps has powerful anti-inflammatory properties, per the December 5, 2014 issue of Oriental Pharmacy and Experimental Medicine (via NCBI.NLM.NIH.gov). It also has other important health benefits:
- Regulates blood sugar levels and immunity
- Boosts cardiovascular and renal function
- Keeps fatigue at bay
While cordyceps’ effects on testosterone levels have some question marks, its other benefits easily offset them. We’re confident 390 milligrams per two-capsule serving will go a long way.
Diindolymethane (DIM), 50 milligrams
Diindolymethane is a compound present in vegetables such as cauliflower, Brussels sprout, broccoli, and kale. DIM releases good estrogen metabolites which attach to the proteins testosterone uses. This, in effect, raises testosterone levels. Plus, DIM keeps aromatase (an enyzme which converts testosterone to estrogen) activity in check.
Some experts believe DIM can ramp up muscle mass and help one lean out in tandem with regular training. Plus, they say it also has an anti-aging effect.
DIM also has powerful antioxidant properties. More specifically, it helps provide antioxidant protection for the prostate. Long story short, DIM not only helps raise testosterone levels, but it also helps boost prostate health. That’s good news all around for virile men everywhere. We’re confident WEIDER PRIME’s 50 milligrams of DIM per serving will do the job.
Piperine (From Black Pepper)(BioPerine), 5 milligrams
WEIDER PRIME has five milligrams of piperine (from black pepper)(BioPerine) per two-capsule serving. This component promotes “better nutrient absorption,” per the manufacturer’s official website.
Australian researchers combined BioPerine with curcumin (the yellow naturally-occurring chemical present in turmeric) in a study involving rat and human subjects in 1998. Since curcumin has poor absorption properties, they theorized combining it with BioPerine should help. Their conclusion: BioPerine “effectively enhanced the delivery of actives through the gastrointestinal tract.”
No wonder you can find BioPerine in many bodybuilding supplements such as Beast Sports Super Sauna and Hourglass. Its efficiency speaks for itself: by improving nutrient bioavailability, it boosts overall results. We’re glad it’s in WEIDER PRIME.
Vitamin D3 (as Cholecalciferol), 400 IU
WEIDER PRIME has 400 IU of vitamin D3 (as cholecalciferol) per serving. This gives you 100 percent of the daily value for vitamin D (a minimum daily value of 15 percent is high).
You normally associate vitamin D with stronger bones, better heart health, and increased antioxidant protection. However, it does have the potential to ramp up testosterone levels.
The journal Hormone and Metabolic Research published a study in March 2011 (via NCBI.NLM.NIH.gov) involving healthy and overweight men who supplemented with vitamin D for one year and a placebo group. The study concluded, “Compared to baseline values, a significant increase in total testosterone levels, bioactive testosterone, and free testosterone levels were observed in the vitamin-D-supplemented group.” It’s clear vitamin D supplementation helps increase testosterone levels. We’re confident WEIDER PRIME’s 400 IU of vitamin D (as cholecalciferol) per serving will complement its other components perfectly.
Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine hydrochloride), 10 mg
WEIDER PRIME has 10 milligrams of vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine hydrochloride) per serving. This gives you an incredible 500 percent of the daily value for this vitamin. In fact, you can find this much in many leading multivitamins on the market.
Unfortunately, studies on vitamin B6 as a testosterone-boosting component involving human subjects are limited (although some experts say it helps produce androgens, which, in turn, raises testosterone levels). The good news: you can still reap its other crucial health benefits:
- Regulates immune and nervous system function
- Improves metabolism
- Maintains proper hormone levels in the body
- Boosts cardiovascular function
Five hundred percent of the daily value for vitamin B6 is a sure bet. It’ll help boost your long-term health.
Vitamin B12 (as Methylcobalamin), 120 micrograms
WEIDER PRIME has 120 micrograms of vitamin B12 (as methylcobalamin) per serving. This much yields an otherworldly 2,000 percent of the daily value for this vitamin.
It turns out vitamin B12 isn’t much help in terms of ramping up testosterone levels. However, it has one key benefit which complements improved libido (one of the results of increased testosterone levels): improved semen quality.
“Thus far, the mainstream published studies (clinical, in vivo, or in vitro) present the positive effects (approximately 23 studies) of vitamin B12 on semen quality in primarily increasing sperm count and secondarily, improving sperm motility and reducing sperm DNA damage, though there are still a few in vivo system studies (three studies) that have deliberated some adverse/blunted effects. As a result, vitamin B12, typically at the normal or therapeutic doses, is vital for adequate semen quality,” per the June 9, 2017 issue of Biomolecules (via NCBI.NLM.NIH.gov).
Vitamin B12 also has other vital functions in the body:
- Keeps free radicals at bay
- Increases energy levels
- Boosts heart health
- Regulates immune system function
- Plays a key role in the formation and maintenance of red blood cells
You can’t go wrong with an insane 2,000 percent of the daily value for vitamin B6. WEIDER PRIME’s ashwagandha extract, DIM, and vitamin D components should help ramp up your testosterone levels. For its part, vitamin B12 should help improve your performance at the gym and boost your long-term health.
Calcium (as dicalcium phosphate), 35 milligrams
WEIDER PRIME’s eighth component is calcium, which takes up 35 milligrams per two-capsule serving. This is equal to just four percent of the daily value for this mineral (a maximum daily value of five percent is low).
Fitness enthusiasts link calcium to stronger bones, healthier blood pressure levels, and better heart health. However, it may be an underrated testosterone booster.
There haven’t been too many studies associating calcium with testosterone levels. However, the June 2009 issue of Biological Trace Element Research (via Springer.com) published a study involving men who supplemented with calcium and trained for 90 minutes five times weekly. The study concluded, “Our results show that training results in increased testosterone levels in athletes and the increase is greater if accompanied by calcium supplementation, which may be useful for increasing overall athletic performance.” This is exciting news for men who exercise and supplement with calcium regularly.
Unfortunately, WEIDER PRIME’s scant four percent of the daily value for calcium won’t do much. Had it had a daily value of at least 15 percent, it would’ve made a difference.
Zinc (as Mono-L-Methionine Sulfate)(L-OptiZinc), 15 milligrams
WEIDER PRIME contains 15 milligrams of zinc (as mono-l-methionine sulfate)(L-OptiZinc) per two-capsule serving. This supplement features L-OptiZinc, “a unique mineral chelate that pairs zinc with the amino acid l-methionine. Research studies show that L-Optizinc is better absorbed than other forms of zinc and that plasma levels remain higher compared to other zinc forms,” per InterHealthUSA’s official website (the manufacturer of L-OptiZinc).
If there’s one mineral which can make a difference in your testosterone levels, it’s zinc. Researchers have linked insufficient zinc intake to low testosterone levels. “Serum testosterone concentrations, seminal volume, and total seminal zinc loss per ejaculate are sensitive to short-term zinc depletion in young men,” per the July 1, 1992 issue of The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
Plus, “Exhaustion exercise led to significant inhibition of both thyroid hormones and testosterone concentrations, but that four-week zinc supplementation prevented this inhibition in wrestlers,” per the February-April 2006 issue of Neuro Endocrinology Letters (via NCBI.NLM.NIH.gov).
The clear takeaway: if you want to maintain optimum testosterone levels, better include zinc in your supplement stack. The good news: zinc isn’t just about ramping up testosterone levels. Let’s rattle off its key benefits:
- Strengthens bones
- Wards off free radicals
- Enhances cognitive function
- Boosts fat loss
- Regultes immunity
- Increases energy levels
- Improve sleep quality
Zinc is one versatile mineral. We’re positive WEIDER PRIME’s 100 percent for the daily value should give you a fast return on your investment.
Chromium (as Chromium Picolinate)(Chromax), 200 micrograms
WEIDER PRIME’s last key component is chromium (as chromium picolinate)(Chromax), which takes up 200 micrograms per serving. “Chromax is a perfect nutrient to formulate into products positioned to address many of the health and lifestyle needs that are of increasing concern to the population. These unmet needs include: cognitive function, weight management, food cravings, mood and support for healthy glucose metabolism,” per Nutrition21’s official website (the manufacturer of Chromax).
Experts consider chromium picolinate the best source of this mineral. Chromium is popular among bodybuilding enthusiasts because of its role in producing insulin (an anabolic hormone which regulates blood sugar levels). It also helps keep cholesterol levels in check and boost heart health. Perhaps its most impressive benefit among bodybuilders is its ability to increase lean body mass (which complements the muscle-building benefits of increased testosterone levels).
On that note, we’re confident WEIDER PRIME’s solid 167 percent of the daily value for chromium will help you reap all of these impressive health benefits.
Let’s check out the formula ingredients:
- Vitamin D3 (as cholecalciferol), 400 IU: Contemporary research findings suggest vitamin D can increase testosterone levels. Not only that, but it also helps strengthen bones, improve cardiovascular function, and keep free radicals at bay. One hundred percent of the daily value for vitamin D should do the trick.
- Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine hydrochloride), 10 mg: There have been limited studies on vitamin B6’s prowess as a testosterone booster (which is questionable at best). Nevertheless, WEIDER PRIME’s incredible 500 percent of the daily value for vitamin B6 should help shore up nervous and immune system function, boost metabolism, maintain proper hormone levels in the body, and improve heart health.
- Vitamin B12 (as methylcobalamin), 120 mcg: While vitamin B12 isn’t of much help in raising testosterone levels, it does help improve semen quality. Vitamin B12 also helps ward off free radicals, ramp up energy levels, boost cardiovascular and immune system function, and help form and maintain red blood cells. An insane 2,000 percent of the daily value for vitamin B12 should exceed your expectations, and then some.
- Calcium (as dicalcium phosphate), 35 mg: WEIDER PRIME is not a significant source of calcium at a paltry four percent of the daily value.
- Zinc (as mono l-methionine sulfate)(L-OptiZinc), 15 mg: Zinc has a proven track record of ramping up testosterone levels. Plus, it helps strengthen bones, keep free radicals at bay, enhance cognitive function, increase fat loss and energy levels, regulate immunity, and improve sleep quality.
- Chromium (as chromium picolinate)(Chromax), 200 mcg: This mineral helps produce insulin (an anabolic hormone which helps regulate blood sugar levels) and increase lean body mass. Plus, it helps keep cholesterol levels in check and improve cardiovascular function.
- Diindolymethane (DIM), 50 mg: This is a compound present in cruciferous vegetables which helps ramp up testosterone levels. It also helps keep aromatase (an enzyme which converts testosterone to estrogen) activity in check. DIM’s other benefits: it helps increase lean muscle mass (which makes it a perfect to WEIDER PRIME’s chromium component), slow down the aging process, keep free radicals at bay, and boost prostate health.
- Ashwagandha extract (root)(KSM-66), 675 mg: This Indian adaptogenic herb helps ramp up testosterone levels, strength, endurance, and fat loss; keeps cortisol (stress hormone) and cholesterol levels in check, improves sleep quality and exercise performance, and boost mental function.
- Cordyceps extract (mycelia), 390 mg: While this Chinese mushroom has the potential increase testosterone levels, most studies involved animal subjects. Nonetheless, it helps keep inflammation at bay, regulate blood sugar levels, boost immunity, improve heart and kidney health, and ward off fatigue.
- Piperine (from black pepper)(BioPerine), 5 mg: This component helps improve nutrient absorption for better overall results.
The manufacturer dubbed WEIDER PRIME as the “Healthy Testosterone Support” which helps “improve performance” and “reduce body fat,” per its official website. These benefits all start with increased testosterone levels. When this happens, expect increased muscle mass and strength as well as improved libido.
The verdict: on paper, WEIDER PRIME can help ramp up testosterone levels, but for some reason, if falls short of expectations. Many customers’ reviews attest to this. They say it didn’t work for them. That’s somewhat puzzling, considering this product has some proven testosterone-boosting ingredients.
Take, ashwagandha extract, vitamin D3, and zinc, for instance. Among WEIDER PRIME’s ingredients, these have the best track records in terms of ramping up testosterone levels.
Unfortunately, some of the components aren’t as stellar in this regard. These include vitamin B6, vitamin B12, diindolymethane (DIM), and cordyceps extract. Luckily, they have other benefits which make up for this. These include improved cardiovascular function and prostate health, increased energy levels and muscle mass, and better resistance against fatigue.
WEIDER PRIME, in particular, has one of the highest vitamin B6 (500 percent of the daily value) and vitamin B12 (2,000 percent of the daily value) among testosterone boosters. You can find these amounts in many energy boosters and multivitamins. They’re that impressive.
The inclusion of 200 micrograms of chromium per two-capsule serving was also a nice touch. This mineral helps increase lean muscle mass – a benefit which many bodybuilders want. It also helps keep cholesterol levels in check and improve heart health.
The manufacturer also scores high marks in terms of transparency – it breaks down all of the ingredient amounts. We also found no fillers in WEIDER PRIME. These bode well for customers. Two thumbs up.
Like we said, just about WEIDER PRIME’s only chink is potency: it’s simply not the most powerful testosterone booster on the market. Not by a long shot. You’re better off trying some of the best testosterone booster supplements money can buy. These include the aforementioned Prime Male and EVLTEST.
On that note, we’re hoping the manufacturer comes up with a more powerful formulation sooner than later. Until such time, WEIDER PRIME will continue wallowing in mediocrity.
WEIDER PRIME Benefits
WEIDER PRIME has the following benefits, per its official website:
- Features clinically-tested ingredients
- Increases lean body mass, focus, strength, and energy levels
- Shortens recovery time
- Keeps stress levels in check
While we agree with most of these claims, WEIDER PRIME is not the most potent testosterone booster on the market today. Fortunately, its other health benefits help pick up the slack.
Who Takes It?
The manufacturer intended WEIDER PRIME for healthy and active males who want to increase testosterone levels, muscle mass, and strength; boost fat loss, improve performance, keep stress levels in check, shorten recovery time, and achieve their daily fitness goals.
Any Side Effects?
While WEIDER PRIME has no glaring side effects, please consult your doctor if you feel doubtful about any of its ingredients.
The manufacturer also issues a warning:
WEIDER PRIME Review Summary
- Proven t-boosting ingredients. Zinc, vitamin D3, and ashwagandha extract, to be precise.
- Insane vitamin B6 and vitamin B12 levels. Five hundred percent and 2,000 percent of the daily value, respectively.
- Extra health benefits. Improves heart health, boosts prostate function and metabolism, wards off free radicals, strengthens bones, and ramps up energy levels.
- Chromium inclusion. Helps increase lean body mass and complements the diindolymethane component perfectly.
- BioPerine. Black pepper fruit extract which helps improve bioavailability and boost overall results.
- Excellent transparency. Manufacturer breaks down all of the ingredient amounts.
- Clean ingredients. You won’t find any fillers in WEIDER PRIME.
- Potency. Many customers say WEIDER PRIME simply doesn’t work.
Pricing & Where to Buy
- 1 60-capsule bottle (30-Day Supply): $28.99
- Available online and in retail
Final Word on WEIDER PRIME
It bears repeating: Joe Weider, the co-creator of Mr. Olympia, is synonymous with excellence. However, we cannot say the same thing for his signature testosterone booster. WEIDER PRIME looks good on paper, but it doesn’t exceed expectations like the other more powerful t-boosters on the market.
Look at the bright side: WEIDER PRIME’s other ingredients will give you extra health benefits so you can achieve your long-term fitness goals. We recommend you try WEIDER PRIME, but with some reservations. The likes of Prime Male and EVLTEST should give you a faster return on your investment.