Back in the 20th century olden days, being a big, dumb male was completely acceptable.
In many cases, it was even attractive. [SEE: Anything starring David Hasselhoff]
Unfortunately, this is the 21st century.
And with today’s constant access to digital news and information, not only are men expected to be BIG & RIPPED, but we also have to be INFORMED & SMART & CONSIDERATE and all that stupid shit.
So what do we do? We take a supplement that enhances both testosterone and the mind. Cellucor P6 Black tries to be that supplement.
About Cellucor P6 Black
Not to be confused with P6 Chrome, PM, Red, or Xtreme, P6 Black is the Cellucor answer for enhancing testosterone with a nootropic edge. However, if you learned anything from our previous Cellucor reviews, then you know that not all is as it seems with this manufacturer… Formula notes:
- “NOOTROPIC TESTOSTERONE TECHNOLOGY”: Cellucor adds a nootropic element to this “legendary anabolic agent.” Plus, the dramatic use of “Technology” is always fun.
- High-Potent T-Boosters: For healthier male hormones, bigger muscles, and a potential, unadvertised increase in libido.
- Messy Label: Shady prop blends, standardization issues, questionable ingredients, and “dirty” additives are some red flags.
Cellucor P6 Black Supplement Facts
|Serving Size: 3 Capsules
Servings Per Container: 30
|Ingredients||Amount Per Serving|
|Vitamin D (as Cholecalciferol)||1,666 IU (416% DV)|
|Vitamin B6 (as Pyridoxal 5-Phosphate)||2 mg (100% DV)|
|Magnesium (as D-Aspartic Acid Magnesium Chelate)||135 mg (33% DV)|
|Zinc (as Zinc Monomethionine)||30 mg (200% DV)|
|Copper (as Copper Bis(Glycinate) Chelate)||2 mg (100% DV)|
|Nootropic Testosterone Matrix||2,105 mg|
|D-Aspartic Acid Magnesium Chelate, D-Serine, Alpha GPC (L-alpha-glycerylphosphorylcholine), 3,3’-Diindolylmethane, Androstenolone|
|Vitamin & Mineral Support Blend||191 mg|
|Zinc Monomethionine, Copper Bis(Glycinate) Chelate, Cholecalciferol, Pyridoxal 5-Phosphate|
|Androgen Support Matrix||167 mg|
|Mucuna pruriens Seed Extract (standardized for L-Dihydroxyphenylalanine), Andrographis paniculata Aerial Parts Extract (standardized for Andrographolides content)|
|Other Ingredients: Gelatin, Vegetable Cellulose, Silicon Dioxide, Magnesium Stearate, Titanium Dioxide, FD&C Red #40, FD&C Blue #1, FD&C Yellow #6.|
P6 Black stacks top-notch T-boosters with a few WTF-ers and a lot of artificial coloring.
Cellucor features The Good, The Bad, and ‘The Fuck? in this formula. At least P6 Black opens with some manly vitamins & minerals:
- Vitamin D (as Cholecalciferol). Proven T-booster in high-potent D3 form.
- Vitamin B6 (as P-5-P). Top form of a (potentially) T-boosting mood-enhancer.
- Magnesium (as D-Aspartic Acid Magnesium Chelate). Magnesium and D-AA-CC are notable T-boosters (especially D-AA-CC).
- Zinc (as Monomethionine). The manliest mineral in terms of T, yet Zinc Citrate is better.
- Copper (as Copper Bis(Glycinate) Chelate). Perhaps to balance the Zinc:Copper ratio…? Utilized in a number of biochemical reactions in the body.
Essentially, we’re looking at a nice dose of D3 T-boosting with a potent ZMA twist… and, well, copper. But what about the blends?
Nootropic Testosterone Matrix, 2,105 mg
The meat of the formula, encompassing both personalities of P6 Black’s T-nootro identity.
T-Boosters: D-AA-CC, Diindolylmethane, and Androstenolone. D-AA-CC qualifies as our #1 Best5 T-Booster, especially in this well-absorbed form. Diindolylmethane and Androstenolone are questionable at best: The former is believed to block estrogen and the latter is a natural pre-cursor to testosterone.
Nootropics: D-Serine and Alpha-GPC. D-Serine requires dosage of around 2,045-2,727 mg to maybe improve cognition… There’s definitely not enough here. Alpha-GPC seems to increase acetylcholine in the brain, which is important for memory and learning… but Citicoline (our #1-ranked nootropic) does the same and a whole lot more.
Androgen Support Matrix, 167 mg
First of all, 167 mg is low, even for two ingredients (at least, these two):
- Mucuna Pruriens. Our #3 Best5 T-Booster and standardized (but for what??). Shown to boost T by 39% in men with low sperm counts—but don’t expect those results at this dosage.
- Andrographis Paniculata. Standardized (again, doesn’t give % standardization… lift the RED FLAG), but lack of research & low dosage holds it back… Oh, and the fact that it’s only used as a common cold treatment.
How to know you’re looking at a Cellucor product:
- Few Quality Ingredients surrounded by WTF
- Standardized Herbs without their % standardizations represented.
- Proprietary Blends mask dosages for both the quality and WTF
- The Label says “Cellucor”… Derp!
P6 Black showcases all of the classic Cellucor tropes here.
But, like the other Cellucor formulas we’ve reviewed thus far, most of the formula still makes sense: D-AA-CC, Vitamin D, Zinc & Mucuna Pruriens are Best5 favorites (and in quality form!), and the ZMA combo looks top-notch, as well.
The nootropics, Alpha-GPC & D-Serine, are common ingredients in brain supplements (despite questionable efficacy)—at least B6 is a proven mood enhancer.
However, the formula quickly loses traction with its strange other ingredients—Andrographis is neither T-booster nor nootropic—and questionable prop blend dosages.
Plus there’s no reason to withhold the deets on your standardizations—if anything, Cellucor should be proud to show this info.
Unless there’s something else Cellucor isn’t telling us…
Woah, okay, put the tin foil hat down. We’re not suggesting any diabolical plots on behalf of P6 Black (or are we…?), but the lack of formula transparency is becoming an annoying theme with their products.
Murtaugh knows how we feel about prop blends:
Cellucor P6 Black Benefits
But Cellucor must be doing something right, right?
Its website seems to think so, making 5 BIG claims with P6 Black:
- Boosts Testosterone Levels
- Increases Strength
- Supports Metabolic Function
- Enhances Motivation
- Elevates Focus and Clarity
We’ll give it a thumbs up on the first 3, especially with the high number of favorable user reviews. The formula definitely has the testosterone angle covered with adequately dosed, high-potent T-boosters—additionally, many users report improvements in the sack, as well.
However, we’re hesitant to call P6 Black a true nootropic.
Perhaps the healthier male hormone profile will indirectly enhance the mind, but the quote-unquote “nootropics” in this formula seem a waste of capsule space. Any immediate improvements in Motivation, Focus, and Clarity are most likely gifted from our deceitful friend, Señor Placebo.
Who Takes It?
Mature Bodybuilders. We’re dealing with male hormones here, so the healthy 18-24 y.o. gym-cub (who’s at peak T-level) won’t benefit much from this product. Additionally, the nootropic angle suggests P6 Black wants to be stacked with pre-workouts to give your exercise more mind-muscle connection. It’s a noble cause, but other T-boosters target the same muscle+testosterone areas more effectively than P6 Black.
Any Side Effects?
On the label, Cellucor warns that certain ingredients can cause acne, hair loss, aggressiveness, irritability, and even increased estrogen levels.
Again, we’re dealing with male hormones here, so use at your own discretion—if your hormones are fine, then don’t funk with them.
For the record, user reports of side effects are low.
Cellucor P6 Black Summary
- Potent T-Boosting. Tried & true T-boosters in top forms.
- Supports Anabolic Metabolism. For bigger GAINS & bigger MUSCLES, yo.
- Positive User Reviews. In regards to improved strength and sex.
- Hidden Dosages & Standards. These prop blends are BIG RED FLAGS.
- Questionable Ingredients. Androstenolone? Andrographis? Por que??
- Unnecessary Ingredients. Artificial Colors + Titanium Dioxide = pointless.
- Price. This shit’s expensive as shit.
Pricing & Buying Info
- 90 capsules (~1 month): $69.90
- 180 capsules: $149.95
- Available online and in retail stores
Final Word on Cellucor P6 Black
Cellucor P6 Black makes the cut for one simple reason: It works. For the modern Renaissance man, P6 Black fails in the nootropic department, but it offers decent T-boosting for any man. If you already bought it, you’ll be aight, bro. If you’re thinking about it… meh, you can do better for cheaper.