If you’ve been in beast mode at the gym all year long, maybe you should take a break and rest more.
After all, you grow muscle outside of the gym. Ask any fitness expert out there.
It would be interesting to find out if Animal PM can help you shore up your recovery efforts.
Enjoy the review, folks.
About Animal PM
Animal PM is “The Nighttime Anabolic Recovery Vitamin Stack” and “complete sleep support for the hard-training athlete,” per Animal Pak’s official website. Formula notes:
- Impressive ingredient combo. Manufacturer covers all the bases in terms of sleep and recovery.
- Bonus ingredients. Exceptional source of Vitamin B6, magnesium, and zinc.
- Expensive. $52.95 for a 30-pack container.
Animal PM Supplement Facts (30 Paks)
|Serving Size: 1 Pack|
Servings Per Container: 30
|Nutrient||Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value|
|Vitamin B6 (as Pyridoxine HCl)||10.5 mg||525%|
|Magnesium (as oxide)||450 mg||113%|
|Zinc (as oxide)||30 mg||200%|
|GH Boosting Complex||3000 mg|
|Gamma- Aminobutyric Acid (GABA)||**|
|Arginine Alpha- Ketoglutarate (AKG)||**|
|Alpha Glycerylphosphoryl- choline (GPC)||**|
|Immune & Recovery Complex with SuperSerum™ & Sustamine™||2500 mg|
|EAA Blend (Leucine, Valine, Isoleucine, Lysine HCl, Arginine HCl, Histidine, Theronine, Methionine, Phenylalanine)||**|
|Beef Serum Albumin Concentrate||**|
|L-Alanyl L- Glutamine||**|
|Sleep & Relaxation Complex||1250 mg|
|Valerian Root Powder||**|
|Chamomile Root Powder||**|
|Mucuna Pruriens (seed) (standardized for 15% L-dopa)||**|
|Hops (strobile) (Humulus Lupulus)||**|
|OTHER INGREDIENTS: Dicalcium phosphate, maltodextrin, microcrystalline cellulose, gelatin, stearic acid, silicon dioxide, magnesium stearate, titanium dioxide, FD&C blue #1, soy lecithin, FD&C red #3, pharmaceutical glaze.|
|Directions For Animal PM: Take a single pack 30-45 minutes before bed. For best results, take on an empty stomach. If you are using an evening protein shake allow 30 minutes for digestion before taking Animal PM. Animal PM can be stacked with any other product in the Animal line, including foundational staples like Pak, Flex and Omega and cycled products such as Stak or Test.|
The Nighttime Anabolic Recovery Stack
It’s safe to say the best time of day for a seasoned lifter like you is going to the gym.
Making that transition to beast mode is always exciting, isn’t it?
Maybe that’s why you like Universal Nutrition’s Animal Pak line of products – they summon your inner beast like no other bodybuilding products could.
Regardless of your choice, you need to pay attention to your sleep and recovery if you want to grow muscle.
Please welcome Animal PM into the fray.
The manufacturer correctly points out training, eating right, and supplementing smart can only take you so far – sleep is a vital part of the equation.
“With the crushing stresses of heavy iron and the toxic environment that surrounds us in this crazy world, eating right and doing your due diligence with your Pak and protein powder only go so far,” per its official website.
“You can train like a maniac, but the growth you seek happens outside the gym. Sleep time, put quite simply, equals growth time,” per the same source.
How we wish most gym rats realize this truth.
The folks at Universal Nutrition dub Animal PM their “Nighttime Anabolic Recovery Vitamin Stack,” per their official website.
At first glance, it seems to us this product has everything you could want in a potent and sleep and recovery formula.
It’s almost as comprehensive as its joint support formula counterpart, Animal Flex.
“Loaded with relaxation and sleep enhancers, immune support, essential aminos, and patented recovery agents, a single pack of Animal PM taken prior to bedtime delivers a dose of nutrients designed to lock you into the muscle-building zone during slumber,” per the manufacturer’s website.
Wow. This product could very well live up to its lofty claim.
Most Animal Pak products are loaded with ingredients. They also have shady proprietary blends. This one is no exception, folks.
Word of caution: if you prefer a simple sleep and recovery formula, Animal PM is not the best choice for you.
First up is three grams of the GH Boosting Complex per serving.
“This complex consists of specialized natural growth hormone (GH) boosters,” per the company’s official website.
That’s music to every serious lifters ears.
This GH Boosting Complex has the following ingredients:
- Gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA): an amino acid which functions as a neurotransmitter. Bodybuilders have been using this because of its ability to increase growth hormone levels.
- Arginine alpha-ketoglutarate (AKG): a non-essential amino acid which helps produce nitric oxide in the liver. It helps increase exercise performance because of its ability to break down waste products such as ammonia.
- Ornithine HCl: The manufacturer claims this amino acid can also increase growth hormone levels.
- T-tryptophan: An essential amino acid which helps amps up growth hormone levels and keep stress hormone (cortisol) levels in check. It also acts as a precursor of serotonin, a substance which plays a key role in producing melatonin (which helps regulate mood and sleep).
- Alpha glycerylphosphorylcholine (GPC): A metabolite which helps increase growth hormone levels. The manufacturer also claims Alpha-GPC helps increase focus and boost liver health.
Awesome. All of these can help your growth hormone levels skyrocket, folks. No wonder the manufacturer put a premium on them.
Next up is 2.5 grams of the Immune & Recovery Complex with SuperSerum & Sustamine per serving.
The first ingredient which caught our eye is glutamine, a timeless post-workout ingredient.
Check out its benefits, folks:
- Helps preserve muscle mass
- Boosts protein synthesis
- Replenishes glycogen stores
- Increases growth hormone levels
- Boosts muscle cell hydration
- Helps keep protein breakdown in check
- Regulates the digestive and immune systems
- Helps ward off free radicals
As you can see, glutamine has a ton of recovery benefits.
Even if Animal PM doesn’t have the optimal amount of glutamine (unlike post-workout supplements, some of which have five grams or so per serving), we feel its inclusion will go a long way.
We also think this product’s EAA (Essential Amino Acid) Blend is awesome.
Here, you will find time-tested bodybuilding ingredients such as branch-chained amino acids (which help boost protein synthesis and repair muscle tissue) and l-arginine (an amino acid precursor of nitric oxide, which helps improve blood flow).
“To enhance and maximize recovery, supplementations with the right form of amino acids are a must for hard-training athletes. The use of EAAs can heighten the anabolic process and hasten muscular recovery,” per Animal Pak’s official website.
If you’re a lifter who has been taking EAAs for quite some time, you know these are words to live by.
The Immune & Recovery Complex with SuperSerum & Sustamine also features Immunolin, “a purified immunoglobulin isolate that contains beneficial growth factors, immune-regulating cytokines, as well as other immuno-proteins,” per the company’s website.
We’re stoked Animal PM has Immunolin.
The final component of its Immune & Recovery Complex with SuperSerum is Humanofort, “a proprietary embryonic peptide matrix” which has heaps of growth factors, per the manufacturer’s official website.
The folks at Animal Pak enumerate Humanofort’s other benefits:
- Helps increase testosterone levels
- Improves endocrine function
- Boosts adrenal hormone health
- Shortens recovery time
- Improves sleep quality
To our knowledge, Humanofort has no known side effects. Plus, we think its benefits are fantastic.
Aren’t you glad it’s in Animal PM?
Animal PM’s final blend is 1.25 grams of its Sleep & Relaxation Complex per serving.
This product “contains powerful herbs like valerian root and chamomile which have been used for centuries because of their ability to naturally promote relaxation,” per Animal Pak’s website.
“Coupled with l-theanine, an amino acid that is found naturally in green tea and is known for its ability to support sleep quality and enhanced mental acuity, and humulus lupulus, also known as hops, which has been used traditionally to support sleep quality,” per the same source.
Animal PM also has Mucuna pruriens, a tropical legume which helps increase levels of l-dopa, an amino acid precursor of dopamine (which helps ensure proper brain function).
The manufacturer claims these ingredients will help you feel more relaxed as you get ready to tuck yourself in.
With these, you can say goodbye to those sleepless nights when your mind is racing like mad – your recovery will take off as a result.
Let’s check out the formula ingredients:
- Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine HCl), 10.5 mg: One of Vitamin B6’s main benefits is its ability to maintain healthy hormone levels in the body. That ensures you have an ample supply of growth hormones for proper recovery. Vitamin B6 also helps regulate the nervous system, which takes a hit from all of the pounding inside the gym. Animal PM is an unbelievable source of Vitamin B6 at a whopping 525 percent of the daily value.
- Magnesium (as oxide), 450 mg: This mineral is popular for its cardiovascular-boosting benefits. However, its best recovery benefits include its abilities to improve sleep quality and decrease muscle discomfort. Animal PM is also a great source of magnesium at 113 percent of the daily value.
- Zinc (as oxide), 30 mg: Another abundant mineral found in Animal PM. Zinc helps improve mental function. It also wards off chronic fatigue and nasty free radicals. You are sure to reap these benefits because this product has an astonishing 200 percent of the daily value for zinc.
GH Boosting Complex, 3000 mg
- Gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA): Functions as a neurotransmitter and helps increase human growth hormone levels.
- Arginine alpha-ketoglutarate (AKG): This non-essential amino acid helps increase exercise performance because it helps reduce ammonia levels in the liver.
- Ornithine HCl: Another amino acid which can amp up growth hormone levels.
- T-tryptophan: Helps increase growth hormone levels and reduce cortisol levels for optimum recovery. L-tryptophan also helps increase the amount of melatonin (which helps regulate mood and sleep) in your body.
- Alpha glycerylphosphorylcholine (GPC): A metabolite which helps increase growth hormone levels, increase focus, and boost liver health.
Immune & Recovery Complex with SuperSerum & Sustamine, 2500 mg
- L-glutamine: An amino acid which helps preserve muscle mass, increase human growth hormone levels, regulate the digestive system, keep muscle breakdown in check, and ward off free radicals.
- EAA Blend (leucine, valine, isoleucine, lysine HCl, arginine HCl, histidine, threonine, methionine, phenylalanine): “This blend supplies the body with only the purest amino acids needed for recovery,” per the manufacturer’s official website.
- Beef serum albumin concentrate: Fitness experts believe this milk protein helps keep free radicals at bay.
- L-alanyl l-glutamine: Also known as Sustamine, this dipeptide helps delay the onset of fatigue and improve exercise performance.
Sleep & Relaxation Complex, 1250 mg
- Valerian root powder: a time-tested ingredient which helps promote calmness and improve sleep quality.
- Chamomile root powder: A plant powder which also helps calm the mind. Fitness experts also believe t helps the muscles and joints relax.
- Mucuna pruriens (seed) (standardized for 15% L-dopa): a precursor of dopamine, which helps improve brain function.
- Hops (strobile) (Humulus lupulus): A plant which helps promote relaxation and improve sleep.
- L-theanine: “An amino acid that is found naturally in green tea and is known for its ability to support sleep quality and enhanced mental acuity,” per Animal Pak’s official website.
For all intents and purposes, it sure seems to us Animal PM is one of the most comprehensive sleep formula on the market.
Remember, we also praised Animal Flex – a joint support product – for its comprehensiveness. In the end, we gave it high marks.
Can Animal PM follow suit?
We like the manufacturer’s emphasis on sleep and recovery for more muscle growth and better results.
It’s obvious it based Animal PM’s ingredients on this philosophy.
The GH Boosting Complex, Immune & Recovery Complex with SuperSerum & Sustamine, and Sleep & Relaxation Complex are all impressive in their own right.
We broke down the ingredients for you. We feel the folks at Animal Pak covered all the bases.
Unfortunately, they resorted to shady and deceiving proprietary blends – they divulged the main blend amounts but didn’t do the same for the individual components.
For that, we give the manufacturer a big, fat F in terms of transparency.
Don’t get us wrong here. Many customers say Animal PM worked for them. However, around one out of five consumers insist on the opposite.
In fact, they insist Animal PM either kept them up longer or gave them nightmares.
We find these claims hard to believe because the manufacturer included a heap of ingredients which improve sleep and maximize recovery.
But as they say, the customer is always right. We’ll take their word for it.
We can trace these supposed side effects to the proprietary blends – you have no idea how much of each ingredient goes in your body.
Nevertheless, we love the insane amounts of Vitamin B6, magnesium, and zinc.
These will help you recover and boost your long-term health. Guaranteed.
On the other hand, the manufacturer also included several dirty ingredients (FD&C Blue No. 1 and FD&C Red No. 3). Experts have linked them to certain side effects.
Not good at all.
Finally, Animal PM doesn’t come cheap: one container with 30 packs costs $52.95, per its official website.
The takeaway: Animal PM doesn’t deliver on its promise as much as Animal Flex does.
Supplement Name Benefits
Animal PM has the following benefits, per its official website:
- Nighttime recovery formula geared toward lifters
- Helps promote relaxation and improve sleep quality
- Includes powerful recovery ingredients
- Helps increase muscle growth and recovery during sleep
We agree with these claims. While Animal PM has its share of flaws, it can help shorten your recovery time.
Who Takes It?
Animal PM is intended for “athletes who have occasional trouble falling asleep” and “those that toe the fine line between training intensity and insanity,” per Animal Pak’s official website.
Any Side Effects?
Some consumers say Animal PM kept them up longer or gave them nightmares. In addition, it has several dirty ingredients (FD&C Blue No. 1 and FD&C Red No. 3).
If any of its ingredients make you feel doubtful, please do not hesitate to consult your physician before purchasing.
The manufacturer also issues a warning:
Animal PM Summary
- Impressive ingredient combo. One of the most comprehensive sleep and recovery formulas on the market.
- GH Boosting Complex. Helps complement the release of growth hormone during sleep for more muscle mass.
- Contains l-glutamine. The most abundant amino acid.
- Has valerian root powder and chamomile root powder. Time-tested ingredients which help promote relaxation and improve sleep quality.
- Bonus ingredients. Teeming with Vitamin B6, magnesium, and zinc.
- Proprietary blends. Manufacturer doesn’t divulge individual ingredient amounts. Thumbs down.
- Dirty ingredients. Contains artificial colorings with reported side effects.
- Not as potent. Some consumers say it did the opposite of what it was supposed to do.
- Expensive. One 30-pack container costs $52.95.
Pricing & Buying Info
- 1 30-Pack Container (30-Day Supply): $52.95
- Available online and in retail
Final Word on Animal PM
After reviewing Animal Flex, we had high expectations for Animal PM.
Unfortunately, this sleep and recovery product failed to meet them.
Hey, it’s still a decent product – the ingredients are top-notch and it has a lot of Vitamin B6, magnesium, and zinc.
Now, should you pay $52.95 for a product with proprietary blends, dirty ingredients, and reported side effects?
We don’t think so.