It’s about time we review a zero-carb protein supplement.
You read that right, folks.
We’ve done so many reviews, we want to size up a supplement with no carbs at all. VPX Zero Carb SRO Protein seems to fit the bill.
Regardless if you’re in the bodybuilding business, if your’re an all sports athlete, we’re confident this product will help you achieve your fitness goals.
About VPX Zero Carb SRO Protein
According to the manufacturer, VPX Zero Carb SRO Protein powder is a “cutting-edge” product with “isolated proteins that are 99%+ pure and are ultra-rich in potent low molecular weight micro-factions.” Formula notes:
- New SRO whey protein isolate. Should help the consumer build lean muscle mass and incinerate fats.
- Zero carbs. None whatsoever. Nada. Good for getting shredded, sliced and diced.
- Very expensive. $145.15 for a 4.4-lb container. Unless you can find it on sale somewhere.
VPX Zero Carb SRO Protein Supplement Facts (Serious Chocolate, 4.4 lb )
|Serving Size 1 Scoop (23 g)
Servings Per Container 87
|Nutrient||Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value|
|Calories From Fat||5|
|Total Fat||1 g||0%*|
|Saturated Fat||0 g||0%*|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||0 g||0%*|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g||0%*|
|Vitamin B1 (Thiamin HCl)||1 mg||50%|
|Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)||1 mg||50%|
|Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine HCl)||1 mg||50%|
|Vitamin B12 (Methylcobalamin)||3 Ug||50%|
|Other Ingredients: Cold Filtered Cross-flow Quadrafiltration Whey Protein Isolate Proprietary Microfiltration Profile Comprised Of Complete Spectrum Molecular Weights For Sustained Protein Absorption And Increased Nitrogen Retention, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Potassium Phosphate, Tri-sodium Polyphosphate, Guar Gum, Sucralean® Brand Sucralose, Lecithin.
CONTAINS: milk & soy (as a soy lecithin). SRO™ ZERO CARB® does not contain soy protein.
|Directions For Zero Carb SRO: For a great tasting, delicious shake combine two scoops of the all new SRO™ Zero Carb® Protein with 4-6 ounces of cold water (depending on personal preference for desired thickness). For added body, blend two or three ice cubes with Zero Carb®. Use 2-3 servings daily. Always drink 12 to 16 ounces of additional water for each protein shake consumed.|
Experience the Power of Fat-Incinerating Zerotein
Take a hint from the heading, folks: Fat-incinerating Zerotein.
We know you’re as confounded as we are. Let’s take it from the top, shall we?
According to the manufacturer’s official website, their key ingredient called ZPX Zero Carb SRO Protein contains a different kind of whey protein isolate (WPI) known as SpiroFuse Reverse Osmosis or SRO.
Nothing science can’t solve, right?
Time for a little history lesson: VPX was the first protein supplement manufacturer to use a WPI known as cross-flow microilftration a decade ago. Fitness experts and competitors alike frowned upon the idea because whey protein concentrate (WPC) and low-grade Ion Exchange WPI were in use.
Well, VPX has taken the road less traveled yet again, folks.
The company defines its SRO as “99%+ pure and are ultra-rich in potent low molecular weight-micro fractions.”
VPX also utilizes its so-called ZERO CARB SRO flavoring system to kick things up a notch even more. With this, you will enjoy your protein shakes even more.
In other words, VPX Zero Carb SRO Protein has the purest and tastiest whey protein isolates on the planet.
Carb haters and protein lovers everywhere: Unite!
The company is making this product the standard when it comes to low-carb protein supplements. It vouches for a high-protein, low-carb diet because it helps torch more fat and build muscle.
VPX also argues the more carbs you consume, the more insulin (a hormone which uses sugar from carb sources as glycogen) your pancreas produces. For the manufacturer, limiting the amount of insulin with a low-carb diet helps “reduce our body weight and body fat,” per its official website.
On that note, we agree you need to consume an adequate amount of protein (one gram of protein per pound of body weight) to build muscle. However, you need carbs to replenish your depleted glycogen stores after a hard training session.
Bottom line: No carbs, no energy.
Having said that, we advise you get your carbs from whole-grain sources such as brown rice, quinoa, 100% whole-wheat bread, buckwheat, and the like. Consume both whole-food and supplemental sources of protein such as VPX Zero Carb SRO for best results.
Without a doubt, this product will help you achieve your lean muscle-building goals, alluding to the zero carb and decent protein content.
We say “decent” because 20 grams or protein per serving is not the highest in the industry. Other protein powders such as True Grit Protein (25 grams per scoop) and Six Star Pro Nutrition 100% Whey Protein Plus trump VPX Zero Carb Protein by a mile.
This begs us to ask the question: “If VPX loves protein and dislikes carbs that much, why didn’t the manufacturer amp up the amount of protein in VPX Zero Carb SRO Protein?”
We feel 25 grams of protein per scoop would have been a lot better. The low-carb attributes of this product are attractive to many consumers. However, the amount of protein may make them turn to other big-name protein supplements instead.
Nonetheless, you will enjoy the benefits of WPI when you consume VPX Zero Carb SRO Protein.
Whey protein isolate is the purest form of whey (at least 90 percent) with little to no carbs and fats.
In addition, WPI has rapid-fire absorption capabilities and is rich in amino acids – two musts after a grueling training session. Finally, it is also ideal for individuals who are lactose intolerant.
VPX Zero Carb SRO comes in three flavors, which have garnered a lot of positive reviews:
- Graham Cracker – one of the rare protein supplement flavors. If a manufacturer is concocting a rare flavor, it’s like a one-shot deal: Do well, your reputation skyrockets. Do just the opposite, and consumers don’t want anything to do with it. Good news: This is one of the best – if not the best – Graham Cracker flavors we’ve tried. We feel this one gets a 9.5 out of 10. Delicious.
- Serious Chocolate – is it good? Absolutely. Is it seriously good? Not quite. We wouldn’t call it the best-tasting Chocolate-flavored supplement in the market, but it’s pretty solid. We’re giving it nine out of 10.
- Vanilla Dream – honestly, the standards for Vanilla-flavored supplements are BSN SYNTHA-6 and Dymatize ISO100. VPX Zero Carb SRO Protein’s version is awesome, but is not in the aforementioned category. It’s as good as the Serious Chocolate option with a grade of nine out of 10.
Our takeaway on VPX Zero Carb SRO Protein’s flavors: That graham cracker is awesome, but chocolate and vanilla are nothing spectacular… good enough for GAINS.
Now, let’s check out the formula ingredients.
- Total fat, 1 g: Frankly, we were shocked to see this much fat in VPX Zero Carb SRO Protein. Why? When you read “Reverse Osmosis SpiroFuse Filtration (SRO)” on the product’s label, you’d think the manufacturer did away with every gram of fats. Not quite. You can attribute the one gram of fats per serving to its lecithin content, which has good cardiovascular benefits. We’ll take that any time of day.
- Cholesterol, 0 mg: Our heads have been spinning from all the protein supplements we’ve seen with far too much cholesterol content. Some of them have at least 25 percent the daily value (anything more than five percent is too much). We’re happy to report VPX Zero Carb SRO Protein has zero cholesterol. Awesome.
- Sodium, 35 mg: Another ingredient which many protein supplement manufacturers tend to go overboard on. Sodium helps prevent muscle cramps and boost the recovery process, but too much may lead to water retention and, consequently, higher blood pressure. It is safe for individuals with cardiovascular issues to consume VPX Zero Carb SRO Protein because of its low sodium content (although they should also increase their whole-grain and fresh produce intake).
- Potassium 125 mg: This product’s potassium content represents four percent of the daily value, which isn’t high at all. VPX Zero Carb SRO Protein has a fantastic sodium-potassium ratio which will assist in the post-recovery process without compromising your cardiovascular system.
- Total carbohydrate, 0 g: As expected, this supplement has zero carbs (take a hint from the name, folks). It also has zero sugars. For a product to taste this good without any sugar is something to behold. It’s a tribute to the manufacturer. However, you can see for yourself Sucralean Brand Sucralose is responsible for the sweetness of VPX Zero Carb SRO Protein. Just so you know, sucralose is also known as Splenda, an artificial sweetener which fitness experts feel may have detrimental effects on the body’s response to insulin.
VPX Zero Carb SRO Protein is the ultimate no-carb supplement, folks.
If you’ve been searching high and low for a product which will help you build lean muscle mass, this is it. Just imagine protein “99+ percent pure and ultra-rich in potent low molecular weight micro-fractions” feeding your muscles.
Like we already said, we’re a bit hung up on the 20 grams of protein per serving VPX Zero Carb SRO Protein has. If the manufacturer is gung-ho about protein’s role in building muscle and torching fat, why didn’t it increase the amount?
The company advises consumers to consume two scoops to get a more-than-adequate amount of protein. In fairness to VPX, Zero Carb SRO Protein has only 23 grams per scoop (in contrast, MuscPharm Combat 100% Whey and Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey have 31 grams and 31.5 grams, respectively).
Plus, VPX Zero Carb SRO Protein has an impressive 87 servings in a 4.4-lb. container.
To put things in proper perspective, one 5-lb. container of Optimun Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey – one of the most trusted brands around – can only come up with 68 servings.
So, assuming your daily dosage consists of four servings (two shakes), one 4.4-lb. container of VPX Zero Carb SRO Protein can last you for only three weeks.
That’s the downside of having more than one scoop of this high-end protein powder serving, folks – it can put a dent on your wallet.
Don’t be too hard on yourself if you dosed that much, though.
There’s no disputing the excellent quality of the protein. Combine that with the low calorie (VPX Zero Carb SRO Protein has only 80 calories per serving), fats, cholesterol, and carb content, you get a protein supplement which can help you pack on some serious muscle mass and incinerate fat.
This product also comes with additional health benefits:
- It is rich in B Vitamins, which support healthy muscles, nerves, heart, nervous system, digestive system, and immune system (It’s like you’re taking a Vitamin B complex, folks).
- VPX Zero Carb SRO Protein’s calcium content is pegged at 10 percent the daily value. This means it is a good source of this mineral which helps maintain healthy bones, teeth, and blood pressure levels.
- VPX Zero Carb SRO Protein has an ample amount of phosphporus (five percent of the daily value), which helps form healthy bones and improve digestion.
- The lecithin content helps boost cardiovascular health.
The takeaway: VPX Zero Carb SRO Protein is not just about protein. It’s much more than that.
We like the manufacturer’s transparency: All of the ingredients are accounted for. You know what you’re putting in your body.
However, there are some red flags.
We mentioned VPX Zero Carb SRO Protein is sweetened with Sucralean Brand Sucralose, a.k.a. Splenda. If you’ve been scouring fitness reports in the past few years, you should know by now Splenda has been under a lot of scrutiny for the way it affects the body’s response to insulin.
Then there’s tri-sodium polyphosphate (TSP) – an ingredient which may irritate the gastric mucosa (the mucous membrane of the stomach). What’s damning is TSP has even been linked to carcinogenicity. Watch out, folks.
Finally, in a world of skyrocketing supplement prices, VPX Zero Carb SRO Protein doesn’t help in that regard. Get ready to shell out a whopping $145.15 for a 4.4-lb. container.
Ouch. We don’t blame you one bit if you want to buy something else.
VPX Zero Carb SRO Protein Benefits
According to the manufacturer, VPX Zero Carb SRO Protein has the following benefits:
- New SRO whey protein isolate
- WPI processed by Reverse Osmosis SpiroFuse Filtration
- Rich in di-peptide and tri-peptide isolates
- Great taste attributed to VPX flavor experts
In a nutshell, VPX Zero Carb SRO Protein has a unique kind of whey protein isolate and added health benefits which will help you achieve your fitness goals. It’s suitable for bodybuilders looking for a shake to take pre-workout to max out their workout gains, add muscle, and enhance strength — but as we said, there are powders with higher protein content that may be better for these crowds. For athletes looking to strip pounds, the clear benefit here is that ZERO CARB angle… which is a boon to low-carb dieters trying to lose lbs too.
Who Takes It?
VPX Zero Carb SRO Protein powder is intended for athletes and active individuals who are at least 18 years of age who want to build lean muscle mass, lose fat, boost recovery, and meet their daily protein requirements. If you’re using it for fat loss, consider stacking it with a credible fat burner supplement.
Any Side Effects?
We’re happy to report VPX Zero Carb SRO Protein has no glaring side effects. However, those who are allergic to milk, soy, eggs, wheat, tree nuts, and peanuts should steer clear of this product.
The manufacturer also issues a simple warning on the product label:
VPX Zero Carb SRO Protein Summary
- New SRO whey protein isolate. Helps build muscle and torch fat.
- Zero carbohydrates. Those who are on a low-carb diet will benefit.
- Low in calories, fats, cholesterol, sugar, and sodium. Says it all, folks.
- Additional health benefits. More B Vitamins, calcium, phosphorus, and lecithin.
- Good transparency. All ingredients are accounted for.
- Several “dirty” ingredients. Tri-sodium polyphosphate and Sucralean brand sucralose, to be precise.
- Very expensive. $145.15 for a 4.4-lb. container, seems like your average customer can’t afford this.
Pricing & Buying Info
- $145.15 for a 4.4 lbs container
- Available to buy online and in retail
Final Word on VPX Zero Carb SRO Protein
We’re quite impressed with VPX Zero Carb SRO Protein.
Its superior protein quality, zero carbs, low amount of calories, fats, cholesterol, sugar, and sodium make it a cut above the rest. Don’t forget about its additional health benefits.
Too bad it’s not a perfect product. Had the manufacturer used a natural, low-calorie sweetener such as stevia, we would have given it a higher grade.
To close things out, if you want to go high protein and low carb with this product, you literally have to pay the price – it’s one of the most expensive supplements on the market.