Claiming your signature protein supplement has the most powerful protein formula ever developed may be a stretch.
However, that’s what MuscleTech claims NITRO-TECH to be.
Let’s be honest: This product has long been one of the best-selling protein supplements in the market. We don’t see that changing any time soon.
We can’t wait for this review to get underway, folks.
About MuscleTech NITRO-TECH
According to the manufacturer’s official website, MuscleTECH NITRO-TECH is “The Most Powerful Protein Formula Ever Developed.” Formula notes:
- Thirty grams of protein per serving. Higher than most protein supplements.
- Additional BCAAs, glutamine, and creatine. For more muscle growth.
- Comes in nine flavors. Choose from Cinnamon Swirl, Cookies and Cream, Decadent Brownie Cheesecake, Milk Chocolate, Mocha Cappuccino Swirl, Strawberry, Toasted S’mores, Vanilla, and Vanilla Birthday Cake.
MuscleTech NITRO-TECH Supplement Facts (Cookies And Cream, 4 lbs.)
Serving Size: 1 Scoop (44g)
Servings Per Container Approx. 41
Amount Per Serving / %Daily Value
|Calories From Fat||20|
|Total Fat||2.5 g 4%*|
|Saturated Fat||1.5 g 8%*|
|Cholesterol||70 mg 23%|
|Total Carbohydrate||4 g 1%*|
|Sugars||1 g †|
|Protein||30 g 60%*|
|Calcium||320 mg 32%|
|Sodium||140 mg 6%|
|L-Leucine||3.2 g †|
|(as Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Peptides, L-Leucine, Whey Protein Isolate 97%)|
|L-Isoleucine||1.9 g †|
|(as Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Peptides, L-Isoleucine, Whey Protein Isolate 97%)|
|L-Valine||1.8 g †|
|(as Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Peptides, L-Valine, Whey Protein Isolate 97%)|
|Scientifically Studied Musclebuilder|
|Creatine Monohydrate||3 g †|
Other Ingredients: Isolate Protein & Peptide Blend (Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Peptides, Whey Protein Isolate 97%), Whey Protein Concentrate, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Chocolate Cookie Crumbs (Rice Starch, Sugar Cocoa (Processed With Alkali), Tapioca Starch, Palm Oil, Corn Starch, Natural Flavors, Salt, Sodium Bicarbonate, Soy Lecithin), Calcium Carbonate, Soy or Sunflower Lecithin, Gum Blend (Cellulose, Xanthan, Carrageenan), Enzyplex (Papain, Amylase), Salt, Sucralose, Acesulfame-Potassium
Directions For NITRO-TECH: Mix 1 serving (1 scoop) in 6 oz. or 2 servings (2 scoops) in 12 oz. of cold water or skim milk in a glass or shaker cup. Use between major meals and after exercise. Drink 8 to 10 glasses of water daily. For maximum results, consume 4 scoops of NITRO-TECH® daily for a minimum of six weeks.
MuscleTech NITRO-TECH: The Most Powerful Protein Formula Ever Developed
Take a hint from MuscleTech’s name, folks: its signature protein supplement, NITRO-TECH, is a reflection of fitness technology at its finest.
The manufacturer proudly dubs NITRO-TECH as the “most powerful protein formula ever developed.”
At first glance, we have every reason to believe its claim.
MuscleTech uses a top-notch multi-phase filtration technology to develop NITRO-TECH’s 30 grams of protein per serving, per its official website.
The company says the protein blend is comprised mainly of whey protein isolate (WPI) and whey peptides. Their main advantage? Your system absorbs these high-biological-value proteins at lightning speed for serious muscle mass.
Beacuse of that, the manufacturer says MuscleTech NITRO-TECH is “an ideal choice as a post-workout protein and for igniting muscle protein synthesis any time throughout the day.”
That’s not the end of it.
MuscleTech NITRO-TECH’s whey protein component undergoes a potent multi-phase filtration technology which whittles down the fat and lactose content considerably.
Finally, MuscleTech manufactures NITRO-TECH according to cGMP standards to make sure you get a high-quality product.
Thirty grams of rapid-absorbing protein with the highest biological value? Sure sounds good to us.
What’s more is MuscleTech NITRO-TECH’s protein content has a complete amino acid profile. And get this: each scoop yields 6.9 grams of BCAAs and 5.3 grams of glutamine. Awesome.
Just so you know, Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey (long recognized as one of the best whey protein supplements ever) has 24 grams of protein, 5.5 grams of BCAAs and four grams of glutamine per serving.
MuscleTech NITRO-TECH trumps Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey in all three facets.
That’s no mean feat, folks.
Why is the inclusion of BCAAs and glutamine a key in muscle growth? It’s simple: Both ingredients help reduce muscle breakdown as a result of intense training. The chances of increasing your muscle mass increase significantly when they are included in your whey protein supplement.
It doesn’t stop there.
Each scoop of MuscleTech NITRO-TECH has three grams of creatine monohydrate. Now, we all know what creatine is capable of – increased workout intensity, enhanced performance, and awesome muscle pumps, among others.
Having said that, we’re confident MuscleTech NITRO-TECH will be a tremendous asset in your muscle-building journey.
Now, let’s check out the formula ingredients:
- Total fat, 2.5 g: Slightly higher than the industry average. The inclusion of whey protein concentrates (which have a higher fat content than whey protein isolates) and palm oil played a big factor here. We also noticed the 1.5 grams of saturated fat per serving is higher than normal, but nothing extreme.
- Cholesterol, 70 mg: The cholesterol level is within the industry average. Nothing to be concerned about.
- Total carbohydrate, 4 g: This may throw off some individuals who are really conscious about building lean muscle. Four grams of carbs per serving is not exorbitantly high, folks. For the Cookies and Cream flavor, we attribute this to the rice starch, tapioca starch, and corn starch content for the cookie crumbs and the one gram of sugar per serving.
- Calcium 320 mg: We have yet to find a whey protein supplement which has a higher calcium content than MuscleTech NITRO-TECH® – it supplies you with 32 percent of the daily value for this nutrient. Not only will you build strong muscles, you’ll also build strong bones and teeth. Awesome.
- Sodium, 140 mg: MuscleTech NITRO-TECH’s sodium content is at par with the likes of MusclePharm® Combat Protein Powder. If you have a cardiovascular issue and you feel the sodium content is a bit too high, try consulting your doctor before purchasing.
- L-leucine, 3.2 g: This is the key amino acid in kickstarting the protein synthesis process because of its ability to break down glucose faster than isoleucine and valine. More than three grams per serving will help boost your muscle-building goals.
- L-isoleucine, 1.9 g: For its part, isoleucine is an amino acid which helps increase endurance and repair muscle tissue. You’d always – always – want these benefits in your protein shake.
- L-Valine, 1.8 g: This amino acid helps supply glucose to the muscles for more energy. Another major plus, folks (want more energy? You may want to check out our pre-workout supplement reviews here).
Judging from its protein content alone, MuscleTech NITRO-TECH is one of the premier protein supplements on the market.
Just imagine 30 grams of rapid-absorbing protein with the highest biological value feeding your muscles after a grueling workout. Nothing better than that, folks.
We like the fact MuscleTech NITRO-TECH has 6.9 grams of BCAAs and 5.3 grams of glutamine per serving (sorry, Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey). BCAAs are a key component in the protein synthesis process. They also help increase energy levels.
As for glutamine, studies have shown it can help boost human growth hormone levels. What’s not to like here?
Total fat and sodium content are higher than usual, but it’s not something we’d worry about (unless you have heart issues; in which case, we advise you to seek your doctor’s advice).
Both cholesterol and carbohydrate levels are within reasonable means, so all good there. Plus, getting an additional calcium fix is always a good thing, isn’t it?
Any red flags?
Yep. Let’s start with the number of components under “Other Ingredients.” A tad bit too many for our liking. It may suggest the presence of fillers.
Plus, the product includes carrageenan, which has been linked to inflammation, diabetes, and even cancer. Watch out, folks.
Nonetheless, MuscleTech NITRO-TECH has an excellent combination of ingredients which ought to help you build and maintain muscle mass. We also tip our hats off to the manufacturer for its transparency.
MuscleTech NITRO-TECH Benefits
The manufacturer enumerates the many benefits of MuscleTech NITRO-TECH:
- Whey isolate & peptides as primary source
- Builds 70% more lean muscle than regular whey
- Superior to other whey protein formulas
- Amplifies recovery, performance & strength
MuscleTech cites a six-week study involving 36 subjects. Those who supplemented with MuscleTech NITRO-TECH increased their lean muscle mass by 8.8 lbs. On the other hand, those who consumed regular whey protein increased theirs by just 5.1 lbs.
In addition, test subjects who supplemented with MuscleTech NITRO-TECH increased their bench press by a whopping 34 lbs. Those who relied on regular whey increased theirs by just 14 lbs.
We credit the large discrepancy not only to MuscleTech NITRO-TECH’s 30 grams of protein per serving, but also to the increased BCAA and glutamine servings. Plus, the inclusion of creatine monohydrate was a big factor.
Who Takes It?
According to MuscleTech, “NITRO-TECH is a scientifically-engineered, enhanced whey protein formula designed for all athletes who are looking for more muscle, more strength, and better performance.”
MuscleTech NITRO-TECH is intended for athletes and active individuals who are at least 18 years of age.
Any Side Effects?
After we sized up MuscleTech NITRO-TECH, we found no glaring side effects. Just about the only ingredient we’re iffy about is carrageenan. If you spot a product with this ingredient, it would be a good idea to skip it.
However, MuscleTech NITRO-TECH’s pros far outweigh the cons. If you’re hesitant about any supplement in general, seek your doctor’s advice to help put you at ease.
As a matter of fact, MuscleTech shares the same sentiment:
MuscleTech NITRO-TECH Summary
- Thirty grams of quality protein content per serving. For increased muscle mass and strength.
- Additional BCAAs, glutamine, and creatine content. Helps boost the muscle-building process.
- Great taste. Nine awesome flavors to choose from.
- High calcium content. For building stronger bones and teeth.
- Transparent ingredients. What you see is what you get.
- Possible inclusion of fillers. A tad bit too many ingredients for our liking.
- Carrageenan. Additive which has been linked to inflammation, diabetes, and cancer.
Pricing & Buying Info
- 1 3-Serving Container (3-Day Supply): $11.21
- 1 1-lb. container (10-Day Supply): $14.99
- 1 2-lb. container (21-Day Supply): $29.98
- 1 4-lb. (41-Day Supply) container: $49.58
- 1 10-lb. container (103-Day Supply): $116.99
- Available online and in retail
Final Word on MuscleTech NITRO-TECH
We have every reason to believe MuscleTech NITRO-TECH is what it claims to be – “The Most Powerful Protein Formula Ever Developed.”
Thirty grams of protein and additional BCAAs, glutamine, and creatine, for one.
Many big-name fitness websites consider this product to be one of the best in the market. Yes, we agree. It’s one of the best, but it’s certainly not one of the cleanest. Far too many supplements beat MuscleTech NITRO-TECH in that regard.
Still, the pros far outweigh the cons. Give this a try, folks. Perhaps it can be a good alternative to your regular protein supplement.