We’ll wait for the day when another MuscleTech product can unseat MuscleTech NITRO-TECH POWER as the manufacturer’s best protein supplement to date.
Are those days numbered?
Let’s see if MuscleTech Lab Series 100% Whey Advanced has something to say about that.
This protein powder relies on its Protein Blend comprised of whey peptides and whey protein isolate.
That should be enough to pique your interest for another exciting review.
About MuscleTech Lab Series 100% Whey Advaned
MuscleTech Lab Series 100% Whey Advanced “is engineered by some of the world’s top sports nutrition researchers to utilize whey peptides and isolates for superior absorption, digestibility, easier mixing, and high levels of branch-chained amino acids (BCAAs) – the building blocks of muscle,” per its official website. Formula notes:
- Protein Blend. Comprised of whey peptides and whey protein isolate.
- Twenty-five grams of protein per scoop. Helps build muscle mass and meet your daily protein requirement.
- High cholesterol content. Twenty-three percent of the daily value.
MuscleTech Lab Series 100% Whey Advanced Supplement Facts (Delicious Strawberry, 2.2 kg)
|Serving Size: 1 Scoop (34 g)
Servings Per Container: 66
|Nutrient||Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value|
|Calories From Fat||25|
|Total Fat||2 g||3%*|
|Saturated Fat||1.5 g||8%*|
|Total Carbohydrate||3 g||1%*|
|Ingredients: Protein Blend (Whey Peptides, Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Isolate 97%), Whey Protein Concentrate, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Gum Blend (Cellulose Gum, Xanthan Gum, Carrageenan), Salt, Red Beet Juice (Color), Acesulfame-Potassium, Malic Acid, Citric Acid, Sucralose.|
|Directions For 100% Whey Advanced: Mix 1 scoop with 6 oz. of cold water or skim milk in a glass or shaker cup. Use between major meals and before and after exercise. Read the entire label before use and follow directions provided.|
Protein Backed By Scientific Research
We’ve reviewed some MuscleTech products here on B5.
One bodybuilding supplement which first comes to mind is MuscleTech After Build, a post-workout with four grams of leucine and three grams of creatine per serving.
It’s one of the best MuscleTech products we’ve sized up.
Another one is MuscleTech NITRO-TECH POWER, a protein supplement with an insane 30 grams of protein and 7.4 grams of BCAAs per scoop.
We dubbed it MuscleTech’s “best protein supplement to date.”
Let’s see if MuscleTech Lab Series 100% Whey Advanced can do it one better.
This product and the aforementioned MuscleTech After Build comprise the vaunted MuscleTech Lab Series duo.
The manufacturer describes its Lab Series as “a complete line of advanced products that promises extreme efficacy, with key ingredients validated by scientific research,” per its official website.
Hey, any time a company backs up its scientific claims, it’s always a plus for the consumer.
“MuscleTech Lab Series 100% Whey Advanced is engineered by some of the world’s top nutrition researchers to utilize whey peptides and isolates for superior absorption, digestibility, easier mixing, and high levels of branch-chained amino acids (BCAAs),” per its official website.
Sure sounds good to us, folks.
Leading the charge is an impressive 25 grams of protein per serving.
This product’s Protein Blend is comprised of whey peptides, whey protein isolate, and whey protein isolate 97 percent.
Whey peptides are by-products of protein molecules. They are shorter chains of amino acids with rapid-fire absorption properties for better results in and out of the gym.
Not only that, but whey peptides “have one of the highest biological values (BV) of any protein source,” per MuscleTech’s official website.
Check out some of the other benefits of whey peptides:
- Increase insulin-like growth factor (IGF-1) levels
- Regulate endocrine hormone response
- Help maintain positive nitrogen balance for more muscle growth
- Provide a rich source of antioxidants
- Regulate immune system function
- Boost gastrointestinal health
We’re confident you’ll reap all of these when you supplement with MuscleTech Lab Series 100% Whey Advanced.
We also like the inclusion of whey protein isolates (WPI) in its Protein Blend.
Just so you know, WPI is the purer form of whey protein (roughly 85-90 percent) compared to whey protein concentrate (also known as WPC, and is around 75-80 percent protein).
With that, expect lower levels of carbs and fats (and lactose) when you consume WPI – it’s a perfect complement to your lean muscle-building goals.
The downside: whey protein isolate is lower in immune-system-boosting properties than whey protein concentrate.
This is due to the extra processing WPI undergoes. Because of this, WPI is also more expensive than WPC (which is also present in MuscleTech Lab Series 100% Whey Advanced).
Do these make WPI an inferior form of protein?
Not at all.
For your reference, the folks at MuscleTech indicate the BCAA and protein content of different protein sources on their official website:
|Whey protein isolate||22%||9%|
|Soy protein isolate||17%||8%|
Well, we highlighted whey protein isolate for a simple reason: it emerges as the best source of BCAAs and leucine (the most anabolic amino acid).
While WPI didn’t edge casein, milk, and egg protein by much, it is still the best go-to protein if you want faster recovery and more muscle mass.
On that note, we’re glad it’s in MuscleTech Lab Series 100% Whey Advanced.
Unfortunately, it lags behind the likes of MuscleTech NITRO-TECH POWER:
|MuscleTech NITRO-TECH POWER||MuscleTech Lab Series 100% Whey Advanced|
|Protein per serving||30 grams||25 grams|
|BCAAs per serving||7.4 grams||5.6 grams|
While MuscleTech Lab Series 100% Whey Advanced is trying to make a statement, it’s clear MuscleTech NITRO-TECH is the better option.
The takeaway: MuscleTech Lab Series 100% Whey Advanced fails to unseat MuscleTech NITRO-TECH as the manufacturer’s best protein supplement.
On the flip side, MuscleTech protein supplements are known for their high cholesterol levels and filler content.
We hate to break it to you, folks, but this trend continues with MuscleTech Lab Series 100% Whey Advanced.
This protein supplement’s Delicious Strawberry flavor has 23 percent of the daily value for cholesterol (anything 15 percent or more has a high value).
It also has dirty ingredients in sucralose (a.k.a. Splenda) and carrageenan, both of which have several side effects.
In our opinion, the 5.6 grams of BCAAs and 4.4 grams of glutamine per scoop somehow help offset that.
Still, it’s not the cleanest protein powder out on the market. We’re clamoring for an advanced formula without those nasty fillers.
Let’s check out the formula ingredients:
- Calories, 130: Most protein supplements have between 100 to 150 calories per serving. Clearly, MuscleTech Lab Series 100% Advanced Whey falls right smack in the middle. There’s no way it will compromise your nutrition goals.
- Calories from fat, 25: Twenty-five calories of fat per serving isn’t high by any stretch, folks. You can breathe a sigh of relief now.
- Total fat, 2 g: Still need more convincing? This much represents a paltry three percent of the daily value for this macronutrient (anything less than five percent has a low value). Thus, MuscleTech Lab Series 100% Whey Advanced is a low-fat protein supplement.
- Saturated fat, 1.5 g: We’ll put it this way, folks: this product’s saturated fat content is neither low nor high. As long as you follow the manufacturer’s recommended daily intake, you’ll be fine.
- Cholesterol, 70 mg: Now, it gets tricky. MuscleTech Lab Series 100% Advanced Whey’s 23 percent of the daily value for cholesterol is a red flag. If you’re monitoring your cholesterol intake, skip this one.
- Total carbohydrate, 3 g: This product’s three grams of carbs per serving represents a minuscule one percent of the daily value. So, if you’re looking for a protein supplement which complements your low-carb nutrition plan perfectly, this is it.
- Sugars, 2 g: This much sugar per scoop isn’t high at all. We’re more concerned about the inclusion of sucralose (a.k.a. Splenda), an artificial sweetener which has several side effects. Like we said, this is a common trend among MuscleTech supplements.
- Protein, 25 g: This is the undisputed star of the show, folks. We’re confident this much will help you achieve your muscle-building goals. A combo of whey peptides and whey protein isolate smothered with some whey protein concentrate should give you a fast return on your investment. ‘
- Calcium, 95 mg: Just like MuscleTech Lab Series 100% Whey Advanced’s saturated fat content, its calcium component is neither high nor low. MuscleTech NITRO-TECH POWER is a better calcium source at 21 percent of the daily value.
- Sodium, 150 mg: Whew. Good thing the manufacturer didn’t go overboard on the sodium content. This supplement’s six percent of the daily value for sodium won’t compromise your blood pressure levels, for sure.
When you look at the name MuscleTech Lab Series 100% Whey Advanced, you’d think it’s the ultimate, top-notch protein supplement.
We hate to break it to you, folks: it isn’t.
Like we already pointed out, MuscleTech NITRO-TECH POWER is the better option. It still reigns supreme as the best protein powder the company has manufactured.
However, this doesn’t mean MuscleTech Lab Series 100% Whey Advanced is a slouch.
We believe its 25 grams of protein per scoop (consisting mostly of whey peptides and WPI) will help you muscle up and meet your daily protein requirement.
Whey peptides are a great choice. They have a high biological value (BV) and fast absorption rate – two things you want in a whey protein supplement.
We also like the extra health benefits whey peptides offer (better immune system and gastrointestinal health, antioxidant protection, etc.).
The 5.6 grams of BCAAs per scoop are also respectable – this much should help you remain in an anabolic state and shorten your recovery time.
Oh, don’t forget about the 4.4 grams of glutamine per scoop, folks.
This essential amino acid has several important health benefits:
- Improves gut function
- Helps ward off nasty free radicals
- Regulates blood sugar levels
- Increases muscle mass and athletic performance
- Helps enhance focus and concentration
We laud the manufacturer for this product’s low fat, carb, and sodium content.
We also give props to the company for its transparency – it divulges all of the ingredient amounts. No shady proprietary blends, either. Bravo.
Plus, many customers say this protein supplement (especially the Triple Chocolate Brownie and Delicious Strawberry flavors) tastes divine.
Price-wise, MuscleTech Lab Series 100% Whey Advanced isn’t so bad at $57.99 for a 2.2-kg, (4.84-lb.) container (considering the whey peptide and WPI content).
On the other hand, the folks at MuscleTech should have toned down on MuscleTech Lab Series 100% Whey Advanced’s high cholesterol content (23 percent of the daily value).
They should have skipped the sucralose and carrageenan (a food additive with carcinogenic properties) inclusions as well.
We would have preferred stevia (a natural plant-based sweetener which helps lower blood pressure and blood sugar levels), thank you very much.
All in all, MuscleTech Lab Series 100% Whey Advanced – while not the best protein supplement the company has produced – is a solid choice.
MuscleTech Lab Series 100% Whey Advanced Benefits
MuscleTech Lab Series 100% Whey Advanced has the following benefits, per its official website:
- Fully-disclosed formula with no proprietary blends
- Third-party tested for high quality
- No banned substances
We agree with most of these claims. Despite its few flaws, MuscleTech Lab Series 100% Whey Advanced is still a solid protein supplement.
Who Takes It?
MuscleTech Lab Series 100% Whey Advanced is intended for healthy and active individuals who are at least 18 years of age who want to increase muscle mass, meet their daily protein requirements, shorten recovery time, and achieve their daily fitness goals.
Any Side Effects?
MuscleTech Lab Series 100% Whey Advanced has 23 percent of the daily value for cholesterol, which is high. If you are monitoring your cholesterol levels, we advise you to try a different protein supplement.
This product also contains sucralose (a.k.a. Splenda) and carrageenan, which both have several side effects (obesity, carcinogenicity, etc.).
If these, of any other ingredient, make you feel doubtful, please consult your physician before purchasing.
The manufacturer also issues a warning:
MuscleTech Lab Series 100% Whey Advanced Summary
- Protein Blend. Combo of whey peptides and whey protein isolate (WPI).
- Twenty-five grams of protein per serving. Represents 50 percent of the daily value.
- Whey peptide component. High biological value (BV) and absorption rate.
- 5.6 grams of BCAAs per serving. Help shorten recovery time and boost long-term health.
- 4.4 grams of glutamine per serving. Helps increase muscle mass and improve gut function.
- Low in fats, carbs, and sodium. All good.
- Great reputation and taste. Many customers swear by it.
- High cholesterol content. Represents 23 percent of the daily value.
- Dirty ingredients. Has sucralose (a.k.a. Splenda) and carrageenan.
Pricing & Buying Info
- 1 907-gram Container (26-Day Supply): $29.99
- 1 2.2-kg. Containter (66-Day Supply): $57.99
- Available online and in retail
Final Word on MuscleTech Lab Series 100% Whey Advanced
We have a confession to make: we thought MuscleTech Lab Series 100 % Whey Advance would fail to meet lofty expectations.
It turns out we were wrong.
For starters, let 25 grams of protein, 5.6 grams of BCAAs, and 4.4 grams of glutamine per scoop do the talking for us.
Plus, it tastes great.
We recommend you buy MuscleTech Lab Series 100% Whey Advanced and reap its benefits today.
To close things off, we urge the manufacturer to come up with a more advanced and cleaner formula (without the fillers) for better results.
Leave a Reply