If you want a solid whey protein supplement, MuscleTech 100% Whey Protein Plus Isolate could be worth considering. We’re sure you’ll love its whey protein isolate and whey peptide combo, as you’ll find out in this review.
About MuscleTech 100% Whey Protein Plus Isolate
MuscleTech 100% Whey Protein Plus Isolate is “an ultra-pure, rapidly-absorbed and quickly-digested protein that allows you to recover faster, build more lean muscle mass and get better results from your training sessions,” per its official website. Formula notes:
- Twenty-five grams of protein per scoop. Equal to 50 percent of the daily value.
- WPI and whey peptide combo. Goes beyond the usual muscle-building benefits.
- Fillers. Contains sucralose and carrageenan.
MuscleTech 100% Whey Protein Plus Isolate Supplement Facts (Double Rich Chocolate, 2.2 kg.)
|Serving Size: 1 Scoop (35 g)
Servings Per Container: Approx. 65
|Nutrient||1 Scoop||%DV||2 Scoops||%DV|
|Calories From Fat||20||35|
|Total Fat||2 g||3%*||4 g||6%*|
|Saturated Fat||1 g||5%*||2 g||10%*|
|Cholesterol||70 mg||23%||140 mg||47%|
|Total Carbohydrate||2 g||1%*||4 g||1%*|
|Protein||25 g||50%*||50 g||100%*|
|Calcium||160 mg||16%||320 mg||32%|
|Iron||0.8 mg||4%||1.6 mg||9%|
|Sodium||120 mg||5%||240 mg||10%|
|Ingredients: Premium Protein Blend (Whey Peptides, Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Isolate 97%), Cocoa (Processed with Alkali), Soy or Sunflower Lecithin, Salt, Gum Blend (Cellulose Gum, Xanthan Gum, Carrageenan), Calcium Carbonate, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Silicon Dioxide, Acesulfame-Potassium, Sucralose.|
|Directions: Mix 1 scoop with 6 oz. of cold water or skim milk in a glass or shaker cup. Mix 2 scoops with 12 oz. of water. Use between major meals and before and after exercise. Read the entire label before use and follow directions provided.|
Clinically-Researched Gains in Muscle Size and Strength
We’ve reviewed some MuscleTech protein supplements here on B5. Here are some of them:
- MuscleTech Lab Series 100% Whey Advanced
- MuscleTech NITRO-TECH POWER
- MuscleTech NITRO-TECH
- MuscleTech Premium Gold 100% Whey Protein
The good: all of them have impressive protein (we’re talking about at least 25 grams of protein per scoop) and BCAA content. Some, such as MuscleTech Lab Series 100% Whey Advanced, are also easy on the taste buds. That’s a huge bonus for any customer.
The bad: all of them have fillers. Unfortunately, this has been MuscleTech’s reputation. We have yet to see a clean protein supplement from their product line. We hope that will change with MuscleTech 100% Whey Protein Plus Isolate.
This product’s biggest selling point is its 25-gram Premium Protein Blend which combines whey protein isolate (WPI) and whey peptides. The result: “An ultra-pure, rapidly-absorbed and quickly-digested protein that allows you to recover faster, build more lean muscle mass and get better results from your training sessions,” per its official website.
We like that. The sooner you replenish your worn-out muscles with high-quality protein after a tough workout, the better. MuscleTech 100% Whey Protein Plus Isolate seems to have a lot of promise. We hope it exceeds our lofty expectations.
Premium Protein Blend, 25 grams
MuscleTech 100% Whey Protein Plus Isolate’s Premium Protein Blend takes up 25 grams per 35-gram scoop. The sub-components are whey peptides, whey protein isolate, and whey protein isolate 97 percent.
Whey protein isolate (also known as WPI), is 90 to 95 percent protein (in contrast, whey protein concentrate or WPC is 70 to 85 percent protein). This is the end product of a special process which filters out the excess carbs, fats, and lactose.
Since WPI has a higher protein and lower carb and fat amount than WPC, it is more ideal for bodybuilding enthusiasts who want to muscle up and lean out. The downside: WPI has a slightly bitter taste. It also has a lower immunoglobulin concentration (which shores up the immune system) and higher price than WPC.
As for whey peptides, these are protein fractions which the manufacturer derived from whole whey protein molecules. They have a slew of fitness benefits.
According to the Austin Journal of Nutrition and Food Sciences’ official website, these include “increased release of insulin-like growth factor, improved overall endocrine hormone response, increased nitrogen utilization and retention, increased intracellular glutathione and anti-aging antioxidants, improved immune function, improved gastrointestinal health, and increased rate of muscle growth.”
The manufacturer also quotes a university study on its official website which revealed “peptides spike insulin faster than regular whey protein and, in an eight-hour window, athletes were shown to have recovered faster.” Long story short, whey peptides are an excellent way of shortening your recovery time due to its ability to create a fast insulin spike.
If you’re still not convinced the company’s official website also says, “Whey peptides have one of the highest biological values (BV) of any protein source, a measure of how much a protein’s amino acids your body absorbs and retains – the higher the value, the more muscle-building potential.”
We agree with these assessments. Any time a protein source has superior biological value, you should consider it. If you have serious muscle-building aspirations, whey peptides are a great asset.
The company’s website also claims MuscleTech 100% Whey Protein Plus Isolate’s Premium Protein Blend features “the purest forms of whey protein you can feed your body. With a process that uses precision technology to remove lactose, ash and fat, this amazing formula delivers the major bioactive protein fractions.”
The proof is in the pudding: MuscleTech 100% Whey Protein Plus Isolate has just two grams per serving each of carbs and fats. While these are good, it doesn’t measure up to the WPI content of the likes of EFX Sports Training Ground Isolate, which has a measly 0.5 gram and one gram of fats and carbs, respectively.
After a thorough analysis, we say MuscleTech 100% Whey Protein Plus Isolate’s Premium Protein Blend is solid. You get 25 grams of muscle-building protein with excellent biological value and a fast absorption rate per serving. What’s not to love here?
Well, it turns out MuscleTech 100% Whey Protein Plus Isolate has high cholesterol levels at 23 percent of the daily value (a daily value of at least 15 percent is high). Plus, it contains notorious fillers such as sucralose and carrageenan. These are traits which any serious supplement junkie shouldn’t love. As for us, that one clean MuscleTech protein supplement remains elusive.
Despite these chinks, MuscleTech 100% Whey Protein Plus Isolate is still worth a shot. However, we’re hoping this manufacturer cleans up its act once and for all.
Let’s check out the formula ingredients:
- Calories, 130: Protein supplements in general have 100 to 150 calories per scoop. MuscleTech 100% Whey Protein Plus Isolate falls smack in the middle. It won’t compromise your nutrition goals in any way.
- Calories from fat, 20: MuscleTech 100% Whey Protein Plus Isolate is a low-fat supplement at just 20 calories from fats per serving.
- Total fat, 2 g: It bears repeating: this is a low-fat protein supplement at just three percent of the daily value per 35-gram scoop (a maximum daily value of five percent is low).
- Saturated fat, 1 g: MuscleTech 100% Whey Protein Plus Isolate is low in saturated fats at just five percent of the daily value.
- Cholesterol, 70 mg: This product is high in cholesterol at 23 percent of the daily value. If you’re monitoring your cholesterol intake, you’re better off buying a protein supplement with lower cholesterol levels. The American Heart Association also recommends making certain lifestyle changes.
- Total carbohydrate, 2 mg: MuscleTech 100% Whey Protein Plus Isolate is low in carbs with a daily value of just one percent. It should complement any low-carb nutrition plan perfectly.
- Sugars, 2 g: This protein supplement is low in sugar at just two grams per 35-gram scoop.
- Protein, 25 g: MuscleTech 100% Whey Protein Plus Isolate’s Premium Protein Blend harnesses the powers of whey protein isolate and whey peptides. This combo has superior digestion and a high biological value (BV) for excellent long-term results. Twenty-five grams per serving should help you in your muscle-building quest over the long haul.
- Calcium, 160 mg: MuscleTech 100% Whey Protein Plus Isolate is a solid source of calcium at 16 percent of the daily value. This mineral helps regulate blood pressure levels, improve heart health, and strengthen bones.
- Iron, 0.8 mg: MuscleTech 100% Whey Protein Plus Isolate is not a significant source of iron at just four percent of the daily value.
- Sodium, 120 mg: The manufacturer doesn’t go overboard on the sodium content at just five percent of the daily value – an amount safe for those who are monitoring their sodium intake.
The manufacturer claims MuscleTech 100% Whey Protein Plus Isolate’s combo of whey protein isolate (WPI) and whey peptides has rapid absorption prowess for bigger muscle mass and shorter recovery time.
After a thorough analysis, we agree with the manufacturer’s claims. Twenty-five grams of protein per serving is a sure-fire way to build muscle and meet your daily protein requirements. Many top-notch protein supplements such as NutraBio Muscle Matrix Protein have this much. MuscleTech 100% Whey Protein Plus Isolate is right up there with them in this regard.
Whey protein isolate is an excellent go-to if you want to muscle up and lean out. You can’t go wrong with its 90 percent protein makeup. If you’re iffy about too much carbs, lactose, and fats, WPI is the answer.
As for whey peptides, you cannot dispute their many health benefits. In fact, they go way beyond mere muscle building (they also help increase immunity, ward off free radicals, improve gastrointestinal function, and slow down the aging process). We recommend you make whey peptides a part of your supplement arsenal to combat catabolism.
We also like MuscleTech 100% Whey Protein Plus Isolate’s 16 percent of the daily value for calcium. This much should help strengthen your bones, promote healthy blood pressure levels, and boost cardiovascular function.
The manufacturer’s transparency is also off the charts – it breaks down all of the ingredient amounts and doesn’t resort to shady proprietary blends. We give this a huge thumbs-up.
This product also enjoys a tremendous reputation among customers. They say it works. Plus, they also say it’s easy on the taste buds. We agree. In fact, we think it’s just as good as Bodybuilding.com Signature 100% Whey Protein.
Alas, this supplement manifests MuscleTech’s biggest Achilles heel: fillers. MuscleTech 100% Whey Protein Plus Isolate contains sucralose (an artificial sweetener which has links to obesity) and carrageenan (a food additive which experts believe has carcinogenic properties).
Our take: stevia, a natural sweetener which helps regulate blood pressure levels, would have been the better alternative.
This product also has high cholesterol levels at 23 percent of the daily value. If you’re monitoring your cholesterol intake, better skip this one.
MuscleTech 100% Whey Protein Isolate is also on the pricey side: one 2.2-kg. container (65 servings) costs $79.99. Like we said, whey protein isolate supplements are traditionally more expensive due to the additional microfiltration process they undergo. This one’s no exception (although it’s one of the more affordable WPI supplements).
All in all, MuscleTech 100% Whey Protein Plus Isolate is a solid yet flawed protein supplement. It’ll give you great results, but there are plenty of cleaner protein powders on the market (such as Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Plant). Make sure to spread out your options before choosing the supplement which fits your long-term fitness goals.
MuscleTech 100% Whey Protein Plus Isolate Benefits
MuscleTech 100% Whey Protein Isolate has the following benefits, per its official website:
- Protein sources with excellent biological value
- Whey protein isolate and whey peptide combo
- Fast insulin response
- Shorter recovery time
- Increased muscle mass and strength
We agree with all of these claims. While MuscleTech 100% Whey Protein Plus Isolate is not a perfect supplement, it can still help you in these regards.
Who Takes It?
The manufacturer intended MuscleTech 100% Whey Protein Plus Isolate for healthy and active individuals who want to increase muscle mass and strength, shorten recovery time, fill nutrition gaps, meet their daily protein requirements, and achieve their daily fitness goals.
Any Side Effects?
MuscleTech 100% Whey Protein Plus Isolate has high cholesterol levels at 23 percent of the daily value. It also contains sucralose (an artificial sweetener which may increase weight gain) and carrageenan (a food additive which health experts say has carcinogenic properties).
If these, or any other ingredient, make you feel doubtful, please consult your physician before buying MuscleTech 100% Whey Protein Plus Isolate.
The manufacturer also issues a warning:
MuscleTech 100% Whey Protein Plus Isolate Review Summary
- Twenty-five grams of protein per scoop. Equal to solid 50 percent of the daily value.
- WPI and whey peptide combo. Fast-absorbing protein combo with excellent biological value.
- Solid calcium amount. Equal to 16 percent of the daily value.
- Excellent transparency. Manufacturer reveals all of the ingredient amounts.
- Great reputation. Customers have sung this product’s praises online.
- Awesome taste. Consumers say its easy on the taste buds. We agree.
- Flavor options. Comes in refreshing Double Rich Chocolate and French Vanilla flavors.
- High in cholesterol. Equal to 23 percent of the daily value.
- Fillers. Contains sucralose (a.k.a. Splenda) and carrageenan.
- Slightly expensive. One 2.2-kg. container costs $79.99.
Pricing & Where to Buy
- 1 2.2-kg. Container (65-Day Supply): $79.99
- Available online and in retail
Final Word on MuscleTech 100% Whey Protein Plus Isolate
MuscleTech 100% Whey Protein Plus Isolate’s Premium Protein Blend boasts of WPI and whey peptides, which go beyond the usual muscle-building benefits. That’s always a huge plus among customers.
That’s not to say this product won’t help you muscle up and recover faster: you can’t go wrong with an impressive 25-grams of high-quality protein per scoop.
Alas, the manufacturer laces the formula with several fillers and ups its cholesterol content to boot. It could have done more research, that’s for sure.
We recommend you buy MuscleTech 100% Whey Protein Plus Isolate, but with some reservations. Like we said, there are heaps of cleaner protein formulas out on the market.