By now, your head may be spinning from the plethora of protein supplements out there (don’t worry, we can relate). There’s just too much information to absorb, too much research to be done, and sometimes, not much time on your hands.
Some supplements even scare you, based on their prices.
Serious fitness enthusiasts want a great and reasonably-priced protein supp. A bang for our buck. A game changer.
Could MusclePharm Combat 100% Whey possibly be the one? Let’s find out in this review.
About MusclePharm Combat 100% Whey Protein Powder
According to the manufacturer’s official website, MusclePharm Combat 100% Whey says it “delivers fast-digesting protein sources to build and maintain lean muscle mass.” We’ll take that any time of day. Formula notes:
- Quality ingredients. Combination of WPI and WPC for more muscle growth. Love it.
- Low-calorie. A low-calorie, muscle-building supplement? Can we have more, please?
- Comes in five flavors. Try Cookies N’ Cream, Cappuccino, Chocolate Milk, Strawberry, or Vanilla.
MusclePharm Combat 100% Whey Supplement Facts (Cookies N’ Cream, 5 lbs.)
|Serving size: 1 Scoop (32 g)|
Servings per container: 70
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat
Amount Per Serving
1 g (2% DV)
|Saturated Fat||.5 g (3% DV)|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Cholesterol||35 mg (12% DV)|
|Sodium||65 mg (3% DV)|
|Potassium||180 mg (5% DV)|
|Total Carbohydrate||3 mg (1% DV)|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g (0% DV)|
|Protein||25 g (50% DV)|
|Vitamin A||(0% DV)|
|Vitamin C||(0% DV)|
Ingredients: Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Cookie Crumbs (Rice Flour, Sugar, Tapioca Starch, Palm Oil, Cocoa Processed With Alkali, Corn Starch, Salt, Chocolate Liquor, Natural Flavor, Sodium Bicarbonate, Soy Lecithin), Natural and Artificial Flavors, Cellulose Gum, Guar Gum, Xanthan Gum, Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium, Soy Lecithin
Directions: Mix 1 scoop of COMBAT 100% WHEY™ with 8-12 oz. of cold water. Vary the amount of water to achieve desired consistency and taste. To increase your protein intake per serving and achieve a delicious milkshake taste, use milk instead of water. Consume additional servings throughout the day to meet your daily protein requirements. Use in combination with whole food protein sources, a balanced diet, and exercise program.
Protein Never Tasted So Damn Good
Hey, if you’ve tried MusclePharm Combat in Cookies N’Cream flavor before, you’ll get a kick out of its 100% Whey counterpart. The taste is just as good (it’s like chugging on a melted cookies n’ cream protein bar or ice cream).
More importantly, you get to replenish your muscles with 25 grams of quality protein (whey protein isolate and whey protein concentrate) per scoop.
The protein matrix is downright simple, folks.
Check out MusclePharm Combat 100% Whey’s whey protein concentrate (WPC) and whey protein isolate (WPI) components.
Hey, if you can’t make up your mind on which kind of whey to go for, you’ve got the best of both worlds here.
WPC has only a maximum of 80 percent protein (unlike WPI, which has 80 to 90 percent). However, the fact it has more fats and carbs make it bigger on flavor.
Moreover, WPC has beneficial components such as alpha-lactalbumin and immunoglobulins, which help boost the immune system. WPI has neither of these; they’re lost in the microfiltration process it undergoes.
But that doesn’t mean WPI is on the short end of the stick.
Whey protein isolates are the better option for individuals who are lactose intolerant. It’s also a more attractive option for those who want to build lean muscle mass because of the higher protein content (for more top-notch protein reviews, check these out).
The protein content is just the beginning. Let’s check out the other formula ingredients:
- Fats, 1 g: Fats are a caloric-dense macronutrient which help individuals establish a caloric surplus, a.k.a. gain more muscle mass. It is also a more concentrated source of energy than protein and carbs.
- Cholesterol, 35 mg: At first glance, the amount of cholesterol seems miniscule. However, it is not – it makes up 12 percent of the daily value for this nutrient (anything more than five percent may be excessive). Take the necessary precaution if you’re watching your cholesterol levels.
- Sodium, 65 mg: You’re an active person, aren’t you? Well, contrary to what most people think, you NEED sodium. It acts as an electrolyte that balances intracellular and extracellular fluids in your body. If you’re not getting enough sodium, your muscles may cramp up. Learn to find the right balance in terms of your sodium intake, especially if you have concerns about your heart and blood pressure. Better yet, seek advice from a physician.
- Potassium, 180 mg: This mineral works in conjunction with sodium to regulate water levels in the body. Potassium also plays a crucial role in muscle contraction and glycogen storage. At 180 mg per serving, it may be a tad bit much for some people.
- Carbohydrates, 3 g: The carb content of MusclePharm Combat 100% Whey is pretty low at just one percent the daily value. This supplement will be a tremendous asset in your quest for building lean muscle.
- Protein, 25 g: Whoa. This product’s 25 grams of protein per serving represents 50 percent the daily value. That’s insane. Even the likes of MyProtein Impact Whey Protein can’t keep up. Awesome.
We’ve always wondered how a 100% Whey version of MusclePharm Combat – an awesome blended protein powder supplement – will pan out. Judging by the ingredients of MusclePharm Combat 100% Whey’s 5-lb. container, the company has delivered on almost all fronts.
On that note, we want to give the company props for its transparent and clean label. Most people want to know what (and how much of each ingredient) they’re putting in their bodies.
In addition, the manufacturer assures this product is banned-substance tested and has no artificial dyes or colors. Kudos to MusclePharm.
Naturally, you’d first look at the amount of protein. At 25 grams per serving, this product is teeming with this macronutrient.
It measures up to the protein content of most big-name protein supps like Optimum Nutrition, Dymatize, and GNC.
How about the protein quality, you say? Well, we say it’s pretty good – the combination of whey protein isolate and whey protein concentrate ought to amp up your post-workout recovery, despite the absence of a slow-absorbing protein such as casein.
We’re just wondering how more potent MusclePharm Combat 100% Whey could have been had the manufacturer included whey protein hydrolysate – the fastest-absorbing whey of its kind. Had MusclePharm done that, we would have been slack-jawed.
In terms of potency, MusclePharm Combat 100% Whey delivers. Hey, when you think of “whey,” the first thing that comes to mind is muscle, right? Well, you’ll be able to achieve your muscle-building goals with this one.
Twenty-five grams of protein ought to get the job done – especially if you plan to consume more throughout the day. This product also has just 120 calories per serving. Not bad at all.
MusclePharm Combat 100% Whey’s fat content – mainly from palm oil – is rather low at one gram per serving. No trans fats. Beautiful.
We also feel the cholesterol and sodium balance is just about right to aid your post-workout recovery. MusclePharm Combat 100% Whey’s sodium content (65 mg per serving) is enough in that it can prevent you from cramping up yet won’t make your blood pressure soar.
Bear in mind its blended protein counterpart has 150mg of sodium per serving, but that could actually mean it has more (200 grams per serving or so).
We also tip our hat off to MusclePharm for being transparent regarding the sodium content. The company made sure to lower it in order to minimize excess water retention and maximize lean muscle growth. Now that’s what we’re talking about.
Finally, the formulation is spot on. This product has a great combination of nutrients which help you muscle up and achieve your fitness goals (for more products which will help you in this regard, check out the main B5 website) .
It can also serve as a delicious snack (we have yet to find someone who doesn’t like cookies n’ cream). We wouldn’t worry too much about the Acesulfame potassium and Sucralose content – both of these are FDA-approved ingredients.
MusclePharm Combat 100% Whey Benefits
MusclePharm claims its 100% whey protein product “delivers fast-digesting protein sources to build and maintain lean muscle mass.” Music to our ears, right? Absolutely. The combination of whey protein isolate and whey protein concentrate ought to help serious lifters out there pack on more muscle mass.
As previously mentioned, it would have been better had there been some whey protein hydrolysate included. Nonetheless, you can’t go wrong with MusclePharm Combat 100% Whey’s muscle-building formula. Just make sure you’re consistent in your training, nutrition, and sleep for maximum results.
Who Takes It?
MusclePharm Combat 100% Whey is intended for healthy individuals who want to build lean muscle mass, boost recovery, and meet their daily protein requirements.
Any Side Effects?
MusclePharm Combat 100% Whey (5 lbs.) may induce allergies as it has milk and soy. If you’re allergic to either of these components, steer clear.
The manufacturer also lists a warning for MusclePharm 100% Combat Whey for consumers to take note of:
MusclePharm Combat 100% Whey Summary
- Transparent ingredients. What you see is what you get.
- Great formulation. Ingredient combination helps build muscle mass.
- High protein content. 25 grams per serving.
- Low-calorie. Just 120 calories per serving.
- Low-sodium. Just 65 g per serving.
- Possible allergies. Has milk and soy ingredients.
- High cholesterol content. Consult your doctor if this concerns you.
Pricing & Buying Info
- 2-lb. container (30-Day Supply): $26.99
- 5-lb. container (60-Day Supply): $48.99
- Available online and in retail
Final Word on MusclePharm Combat 100% Whey (5 lbs.)
MusclePharm Combat 100% Whey (5 lbs.) has exceeded our expectations in more ways than one. The pros far outweight the cons: Great ingredients, high protein content, low in calories, great taste, and a good price to boot. The cons are relatively minor.
That being said, it would be wise to make MusclePharm Combat 100% Whey your go-to protein source, regardless of the tub size and flavor you choose.
MusclePharm has long been known to manufacture quality supplements, and this one is no exception. You’ll benefit greatly even if you’re not a bodybuilding pro.
To cap everything off, we daresay MusclePharm knocked this one out of the park.