If you’re sick of seeing those proprietary blends and fillers in whey protein powder supplements, then it may be time to switch to natural whey.
Why? It has clean ingredients and high biological value, for one.
One such product worth sizing up is MET-Rx Natural Whey. We’re pretty stoked about this product, because one look at the ingredients give us the impression it is top-notch.
About MET-Rx Natural Whey
The manufacturer describes MET-Rx Natural Whey as follows:
MET-RX Natural Whey uses specialized filtration processes that reduce the total cholesterol, saturated fat, lactose, and carbohydrates while concentrating the natural proteins.
We utilize state-of-the-art manufacturing techniques to deliver a cutting-edge protein blend that is wholesome and scientifically-advanced – providing a high-quality ultra-filtered whey protein concentrate.
- Twenty-three grams of protein per serving. Combination of whey protein concentrate and whey protein isolate.
- Low-calorie, low-fat, low-cholesterol, and low-carbohydrate . Just a few of the product’s many benefits.
- Sweetened with stevia. Zero-calorie natural sweetener which helps regulate blood sugar levels.
MET-RX Natural Whey Supplement Facts (Chocolate, 5 lbs.)
Serving Size 1 Scoop (33 g)
Servings Per Container About 68
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
|Calories From Fat||20|
|Total Fat||2 g 3%**|
|Saturated Fat||1 g 5%**|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Cholesterol||40 mg 13%|
|Total Carbohydrate||5 g 2%**|
|Sugars||3 g ***|
|Protein||23 g 45%**|
|Calcium||109 mg 11%|
|Iron||0.4 mg 2%|
|Phosphorus||95 mg 10%|
|Magnesium||15 mg 4%|
|Sodium||55 mg 2%|
|Potassium||140 mg 4%|
|Stevia Extract||170 mg ***|
|(Stevia Rebaudiana) (Leaf)|
Ingredients: Protein Blend (Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate), Cocoa, Fructose, Natural Flavors, Soy Lecithin, Stevia Extract
Contains Milk And Soy Ingredients.
Directions For Natural Whey: For adults, take one (1) scoop (33 g), one to two times daily. Serious athletes should consume 1-2 scoops twice per day for maximum muscle support, with at least 1-2 scoops taken immediately after exercise. As a reminder, discuss the supplements and medications you take with your health care providers.
MET-Rx Natural Whey: Fuel for the LEGIT STRONG
MET-Rx, the manufacturer of Natural Whey, defines “legit” as “dedication” and “ignoring the fads and quick fixes.” The company dedicates itself to these two things because as its marketing slogan says, “You can’t fake strong.”
Well, you can’t fake strong with MET-Rx Natural Whey, folks.
Honestly, we wish more natural whey protein powder supplements hit the shelves. Why? Take a hint from the word “natural” – it’s clean, pure, and has high biological value. Plus, they are ideal for lean muscle bodybuilding, since they are low in carbs and high in protein.
Did we mention they also taste great?
Our initial impression of MET Rx Natural Whey is pretty good, to say the least.
An excerpt from Health Guidance reveals some of the other benefits of whey protein:
“Whey protein is an excellent energy booster. Larger muscle areas which require excess of protein are provided by whey protein isolate. Since the calorie intake is low, it does not cause stomach upset. Hence this supplement is suitable for weight loss and controlled diets.”
The manufacturer’s official website enumerates the reasons why MET-Rx Natural Whey’s protein content is a cut above the rest:
- MET-Rx Natural Whey Protein has excellent protein sources including ultrafiltered Whey Protein Concentrate (WPC). According to the company, this microfiltration process reduces total cholesterol, saturated fat, lactose, and carbohydrates.
- The product has active natural whey peptides and microfactions such as Beta-lactoglobulin, Alpha-lactalbumin, Glycomacropeptides, and Lactoferrin.
- MET-Rx Natural Whey’s instantized whey protein content makes the powder more soluble for easy mixing.
- Combination of whey protein concentrate and whey protein isolate for quick delivery of amino acids to the muscles which kickstarts the protein synthesis process.
- Each serving of MET-Rx Natural Whey has five grams of BCAAs (in contrast, MyProtein Impact Whey Protein – an industry leader – has 4.5 grams of BCAAs per serving).
MET-Rx Natural Whey provides you with 23 grams of protein per serving. Even though that’s 45 percent of the daily value for this macronutrient, it’s not the highest in the industry (stellar brands such as Optimum Nutrition™ Gold Standard 100% Whey and Jay Robb Whey Protein have slightly higher protein content).
Nonetheless, MET-Rx Natural Whey does not lag behind in terms of protein quality.
The combination of whey protein concentrate and whey protein isolate is downright simple. Other whey protein brands include whey protein hydrolysates, which is fine because it is the fastest-absorbing kind of whey. However, its addition ups the cost considerably.
On that note, MET-Rx Natural Whey may not have any whey protein hydrolysates, but it still doesn’t come cheap ($80.49 for a five pound container). Look no further than natural whey protein’s high biological value as the reason why.
We’re confident MET Rx Natural Whey’s WPC and WPI combination plus the five grams of BCAAs per serving will help you pack on lean muscle mass.
This product comes in two flavors:
Chocolate – some customers swear by the taste of MET-Rx Natural Whey’s chocolate flavor. They say it’s one of the best-tasting chocolate-flavored whey protein powder supplements they’ve ever tried. We agree with them, but it’s not as good as the likes of Universal Nutrition Animal Whey™. In fact, MET-Rx Natural Whey’s version is a tad bit sweet. You can offset that by adding more milk to your protein shake.
- Vanilla – Decent vanilla flavor, but it doesn’t rank as one of the exemplary ones in the market. We give this one seven out of 10.
One of our regrets is MET-Rx Natural Whey’s lack of variety – we wish the manufacturer came up with more flavors. We, for one, would have loved a cookies and cream-, cinnamon bun- or mocha cappuccino-flavored version.
Now, let’s check out the formula ingredients:
- Total fat, 2 g: Right on the industry average. Most of the fat content comes from MET-Rx Natural Whey’s whey protein concentrate content.
- Cholesterol, 40 mg: Pretty modest cholesterol content, but not as minimal as MyProtein Impact Whey Protein (which has zero cholesterol).
- Total carbohydrate, 5 g: At two percent the daily value for carbohydrates, MET-Rx Natural Whey is a good low-carb option for those who want to build lean muscle mass. Sugar content is a three grams per serving. Get this, folks: the manufacturer uses stevia as MET-Rx Natural Whey’s sweetener. That is always – always – a major plus.
- Calcium, 109 mg: MET-Rx Natural Whey is a decent source of calcium (the 11 percent daily value proves our point). However, it isn’t as high as other protein supplements such as Quest Protein Powder (which has a whopping 35 percent the daily value for calcium).
- Iron, 0.4 mg: MET-Rx Natural Whey is not a significant source of iron as it only has two percent the daily value for this mineral.
- Phosphorus, 95 mg: This mineral works in conjunction with calcium in maintaining healthy bones and teeth. It seems to us the manufacturer focused on this health benefit as calcium and phosphorus are the two most abundant minerals found in MET-Rx Natural Whey.
- Magnesium, 15 mg: A mineral which is vital in maintaining muscle and nerve function and a healthy immune system (that’s one of whey protein’s major benefits, folks).
- Sodium, 55 mg: Admittedly, this is one of the ingredients we’re always leery of. Yes, sodium can help boost the recovery process because you lose a lot of electrolytes during intense exercise. However, too much of it may not be good for those with cardiovascular issues. The manufacturer lived up to its promise of keeping the sodium content within reasonable limits. Well done, guys.
- Potassium, 140 mg: A key mineral which helps regulate blood pressure levels. Just like sodium, too much of it may be detrimental to those with heart issues. Consult a doctor if the potassium content concerns you.
Note: MetRx Natural Whey is just that, natural — not to be confused with Met Rx far more “engineered” state of the art Ultramyosyn whey, which uses microfiltration and ultrafiltration processes to create protein powder that is lower in fat and higher in all protein, including BCAA; Ultramyosyn also supplies more precise levels of microfractions & bioactive peptides, including immunoglobulins.
Here’s our take on MET Rx Natural Whey: Keeping it simple does wonders.
Its protein blend – composed of whey protein concentrate and whey protein isolate – yields 23 grams per serving. A combination of WPC and WPI is high in amino acids and has quality protein content which will help you build lean muscle mass.
Putting WPC and WPI together helps make up for the other’s shortcomings (for instance, WPI is the purer form of whey but has a tendency to taste bitter – WPC is bigger on flavor because it has more macronutrient content).
- We also praise MetRx for including five grams of BCAAs per serving. Topping the likes of MyProtein Impact Whey Protein in that regard is no mean feat.
MET-Rx Natural Whey’s filtration process kept the cholesterol, saturated fat, and carb content low – major pluses for a whey protein powder supplement. We also like the fact this product is low in sodium (other manufacturers may want to take notes).
Natural whey protein powder offers additional health benefits, and this supplement is no exception – its calcium and phosphorus content will help you maintain strong bones and teeth.
We also give props to the company for utilizing stevia as the main sweetener of MET-Rx Natural Whey. Stevia is plant-based and helps regulate blood pressure and blood sugar levels.
If you spot a top-notch whey protein supplement sweetened with stevia without any fillers on the store shelf, grab it. This is a recording.
Oh, and the beta-lactoglobulin, alpha-lactalbumin, glycomacropeptide, and lactoferrin content?
No need to be confused. They are biological components of whey protein which help enhance the immune system. All good, folks.
Any red flags?
Just about the only one we can think of is the potassium content (140 mg per serving). It isn’t exorbitantly high, but those with cardiovascular issues may want to take heed (too much potassium may be detrimental to those individuals).
Oh, yeah. The taste – while very good, in our opinion – may not be appealing to some, just based on some other reviews we read.
All in all, MET-Rx Natural Whey is a top-of-the-line whey protein supplement. It offers a great combination of ingredients with no fillers and proprietary blends. Awesome.
MET Rx Natural Whey Benefits
Here are the benefits of MET-Rx Natural Whey:
- Twenty-three grams of protein per serving
- Five grams of BCAAs per serving
- Reduced cholesterol, saturated fat, lactose, and carbohydrate content
- Easy mixing, dispersion, and solubility
There’s no disputing you get all of these benefits from MET-Rx Natural Whey and more. Get yours today, folks.
Who Takes It?
MET-Rx Natural Whey is intended for athletes and active individuals who are at least 18 years of age who want to build lean muscle mass, boost the recovery process, and meet their daily protein requirements.
Any Side Effects?
MET-Rx Natural Whey has no glaring side effects. However, the manufacturers advise those who are allergic to milk and soy, pregnant women, and individuals who are taking medication to take heed:
MET-Rx Natural Whey Summary
- Twenty-three grams of protein per serving. Combination of WPC and WPI for lean muscle growth.
- Five grams of BCAAs per scoop. Helps kickstart the protein synthesis process.
- Low-calorie, Low-fat, Low-carb, and low-cholesterol. Just a few of its many benefits.
- Sweetened with stevia. The safest no-calorie sweetener in the market.
- No fillers and proprietary blends. Just clean ingredients for long-term health.
- Potassium content. Not too high, but may be of some concern to those with cardiovascular issues.
- Lack of variety. Comes in just two flavors, most protein powder products give you more (maybe the “Natural” angle makes it harder to have a ranbow of freakin’ fruit flavors, ya heard??)
Pricing & Buying Info
- 1 two lb (32 oz) container (27-Day Supply): $38.99
- 1 five pound container (68-Day Supply): $80.49
- Available to buy online and in retail all over the place; Amazon (lowest price we saw, with Prime free shipping anyway), GNC, even freakin’ Walmart!
Final Word on MET-Rx Natural Whey
We feel really good about MetRx Natural Whey. So good, it just might dethrone Optimum Nutrition’s version.
We’re serious, folks.
This is a whey protein powder supplement with heaps of pros and virtually no cons. Not only do we encourage you to give it a try, we suggest you include it in your supplement stack without any reservations.