A low-calorie whey protein supplement with digestive enzymes?
This type of product has gained traction in the past few years. One supplement which has turned heads is CELLUCOR COR-Performance Whey.
It’s one of the top-selling protein supplements on some renowned fitness websites, and with good reason: Its simple protein matrix and digestive enzymes guarantee results.
Buckle up and enjoy the review, folks.
About CELLUCOR COR-Performance Whey
According to the manufacturer, this product “is an optimal source of protein when you’re looking to maintain lean muscle, replenish nutrients after a workout, and indulge your sweet tooth guilr-free.” Formula notes:
- Simple protein matrix. Combines WPI and WPC.
- Presence of digestive enzymes. Has protease and lactase for better digestion and absorption.
- Comes in eight flavors. Choose from Chocolate Peanut Butter, Cinnamon Swirl, Cookies N’ Cream, Mint Chocolate Chip, Molten Chocolate, Peanut Butter Marshmallow, Strawberry Milkshake, and Whipped Vanilla.
CELLUCOR COR-Performance Whey Supplement Facts (Cookies N’ Cream, 4 lbs.)
Serving Size: 1 Level Scoop (35 g)
Servings Per Container: 52
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value*
|Calories From Fat||10|
|Total Fat||1 g 2%|
|Saturated Fat||.5 g 3%|
|Trans Fat||0 g 0%|
|Cholesterol||35 mg 12%|
|Sodium||170 mg 7%|
|Total Carbohydrate||5 g 2%|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g 4%|
|Sugars 2 g||2 g|
|Protein||25 g 50%|
Other Ingredients: COR-Performance™ Whey Protein Matrix (Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate), Natural & Artificial Flavors, Cookie Bites, Cellulose Gum, Cocoa Powder (Processed With Alkali), Xanthan Gum, Salt, Protease, Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium (Ace-K), Protease A-S, Lactase
Directions For COR-Performance Whey: Take one to two scoops of Cellucor COR-Performance Whey Protein with 6-12 oz. (180-360 ml) of cold water or any beverage of your choice. Use approximately 5-6 oz. (150-180 ml) of liquid per one scoop of powder.
Protein and Flavor for Your Muscle-Building Needs
CELLUCOR takes pride in its COR-Performance Whey product. The company puts a premium not only on quality protein content, but the flavor of each product as well.
Hey, if you want to get your customers’ attention, there’s no better way of doing it, is there?
Each scoop of COR-Performance Whey yields 25 grams of protein. Most competitors, such as Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey and MusclePharm Combat 100% Whey Protein, have 24-25 grams of protein per serving. COR-Performance Whey is at par with them in terms of protein content.
Let’s analyze the protein quality. CELLUCOR kept things simple here. The company included just two components – namely whey protein concentrate and whey protein isolate.
This means if you are an active person who wants to remain in an anabolic state for up to eight to 10 hours after your workout, this product is not for you.
Why? There’s no slow-absorbing protein, specifically casein. It’s pretty simple: CELLUCOR COR-Performance Whey is meant to kickstart your recovery process immediately after your workouts.
Whey protein is the most complete and fastest-absorbing protein source known to mankind. This is the kind of nourishment you need after you put your muscles under so much stress due to pumping iron for an hour or so.
Whey protein has been promoted for its benefits since 420 B.C. It’s that tremendous, folks (you can check out our other B5 protein reviews here). Many of today’s health experts believe it’s a superfood for the following reasons:
- Helps maintain blood sugar levels
- Promotes healthy insulin secretion
- Supports the immune system
- Helps maintain healthy blood pressure levels
- Helps boost glutathione (a potent antioxidant) levels
You are sure to benefit from all of these with CELLUCOR COR-Performance Whey.
Both WPC and WPI are high in branch-chained amino acids. They’re also both rapidly absorbed, although WPI has less lactose content because it is the purer form of protein.
Let’s check out the formula ingredients.
- Total fat, 1 g: It bears repeating: You need fats in your body to balance out your carbohydrate and protein intake. CELLUCOR COR-Peformance Whey is a low-fat alternative to some of the other products such as MUSCLE MILK Protein Powder (which has a whopping 12 grams of fat per serving).
- Cholesterol, 35 mg: This product is has a low cholesterol amount. Still a far cry from MyProtein Impact Whey Protein, which has an unbelievable 0 mg of cholesterol per scoop.
- Sodium, 170 mg: We cannot understate the importance of sodium in the recovery process. If you don’t take in enough of it, your muscles might cramp up. CELLUCOR COR-Performance Whey’s sodium amount is not exorbitantly high, but you may want to check with your doctor first if you have any cardiovascular issues.
- Total carbohydrate, 5 g: The amount of carbs is attributed to the wheat and sugar components of CELLUCOR COR-Performance Whey. There are just two grams of sugar per serving.
When we sized up CELLUCOR COR-Performance Whey, one word quickly comes to mind: simplicity.
Its protein matrix is not as fancy as other big-name brands, but it gets the job done. It even made it to the top-selling whey protein lists of some fitness websites. The consumers have spoken.
This product packs a decent protein (25 grams per serving) and calcium punch (15 percent of the daily value). The flavors are also good (but not the best in the industry). For those looking for a protein supplement low in calories, fats, and cholesterol, this one’s a safe bet.
In case you haven’t noticed, CELLUCOR COR-Performance Whey has digestive enzymes protease and lactase. Protease is an enzyme that helps break down protein. On the other hand, lactase is an enzyme which helps break down lactose, a sugar found in milk.
The presence of these enzymes ensure effective digestion and absorption of key nutrients for maximum muscle growth and recovery. Protease and lactase give CELLUCOR COR-Performance Whey an edge over other protein supplements.
Finally, we tip our hats off to the manufacturer for combining good ingredients and practicing transparency.
We also like the fact there are not too many unfamiliar ingredients. That’s always a plus when buying supplements, folks (for a more comprehensive guide on how to purchase supplements, check this out).
CELLUCOR COR-Performance Whey Benefits
The manufacturer says CELLUCOR COR-Performance Whey is “packed with protein to help maintain and build lean muscle.” CELLUCOR takes pride in its dessert-inspired flavors, digestive enzymes, and low carbohydrate and low fat content.
Another great benefit of CELLUCOR COR-Performance Whey is its versatility: it can be consumed as a snack, meal replacement or key ingredient.
Who Takes It?
CELLUCOR COR-Performance Whey is intended for athletes and active individuals. According to the company, it is meant for people who want “to maintain lean muscle, replenish nutrients after a workout, and indulge your sweet tooth guilt-free.”
More specifically, individuals who are looking for a fast-acting, fast-digesting, low-carb and low-cholesterol whey protein supplement should consider CELLUCOR COR-Performance Whey.
Any Side Effects?
The presence of whey protein concentrate in CELLUCOR COR-Performance Whey may suggest the presence of lactose. The 170 milligrams of sodium per serving may also be worth noting for those with cardiovascular concerns.
Finally, those who are allergic to soy, wheat, and milk should also take heed. It is best for these people to check with their doctor first before purchasing this product.
The manufacturer has a warning label for everyone’s benefit:
CELLUCOR COR-Performance Whey Summary
- 25 grams of protein per serving. Combines WPC and WPI.
- Low in calories, fats, and cholesterol. Label says it all.
- Digestive enzymes. Protease and lactase for better digestion and absorption.
- Transparent ingredients. No fillers.
- High calcium content. Good for healthy bones and teeth.
- Sodium content. Check with your doctor if you’re watching your sodium intake.
Pricing & Buying Info
- 1 2-lb. container (26-Day Supply): $29.99
- 1 4-lb. container (52-Day Supply): $49.99
- Available online and in retail
Final Word on CELLUCOR COR-Performance Whey
It seems we have stumbled upon the next big player in the bodybuilding supplement industry. CELLUCOR® COR-Performance Whey keeps things simple with its 25 grams of whey protein concentrate and whey protein isolate per serving.
Consider the fact it has protease and lactase for better absorption and digestion, you have a potent whey protein supplement which nourishes your muscles like greased lightning. It’s also a decent-tasting product which is low in calories, fats, and cholesterol.
With the pros far outweighing the cons, CELLUCOR® COR-Performance Whey is a product that has a lot of promise. It won’t disappoint you.