How about trying a supplement which takes you back to the Golden Era of Bodybuilding?
Say, UMP Ultimate Muscle Protein?
This product features a top-notch milk protein isolate blend which already combines whey and casein for more fantastic results.
Hey, if guys of the Golden Era got fantastic results from drinking protein shakes featuring milk, we believe you can, too. We can’t wait to review it.
Got milk, folks?
About UMP Ultimate Muscle Protein
UMP Ultimate Muscle Protein’s manufacturer, Beverly International, dubs its signature protein supplement as an “Above-Average Protein” which will help you gain “above-average muscle.” Formula notes:
- Top-notch milk protein isolate content. 80:20 casein to whey protein ratio.
- Bonus ingredients. Medium-chain triglycerides, calcium, and magnesium for better overall health.
- Comes in five delicious flavors. Chocolate, Vanilla, Cookies & Cream, Rocky Road, and Strawberry.
Beverly International UMP Ultimate Muscle Protein (Chocolate, 2 lbs.)
|Serving Size 1 Scoop (31.5 g)|
Servings Per Container About 30
|Nutrient||Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value|
|Calories From Fat||30|
|Total Fat||3.5 g||5%|
|Saturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Total Carbohydrates||4 g||1%|
|Ingredients: Cocoa (Processed With Alkali), Sunflower Oil, Sodium Caseinate, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Soy Fiber, Potassium Citrate, Magnesium Citrate, Medium Chain Triglycerides, Salt, Maltodextrin, Gum Arabic, Soy Lecithin, Mono- And Diglycerides, Sucralose, Acesulfame-K, Potassium Phosphate, Borage Oil, Silicon Dioxide, And Tocopherols (Added To Protect Flavor).|
|Directions for UMP: To make a delicious shake:|
The best times to use UMP are:
Milk Protein for Ultimate Muscle
If you check most protein supplement reviews, most manufacturers put a premium on whey, casein, and protein blends for muscle growth and recovery. An overwhelming minority focus more on milk protein to help you get results.
Please welcome Beverly International UMP Ultimate Muscle Protein into the fold.
This unique supplement’s protein blend is comprised of 90 percent milk protein isolate. Because the protein is from milk, it follows the 80:20 casein to whey ratio (cow’s milk is composed of 80 percent casein and 20 percent whey).
The manufacturer, Beverly International, dubs its milk protein isolate blend as “the right kinds of high-quality protein” which helps you meet your daily protein requirement without resorting to whole foods.
It’s really an old-school edition of today’s protein powder supplement. folks.
UMP Ultimate Muscle Protein has 20 grams of protein per serving, so taking it on a daily basis should suffice. The bad news: It doesn’t have as much protein per scoop as other industry leaders such as MET-Rx Natural Whey and Six Star Pro Nutrition 100% Whey Protein Plus.
You know how protein-conscious today’s consumers are. The moment they see Supplement A with 30 grams of protein per scoop and Supplement B with 20 grams of protein per scoop, they’d grab the former in a heartbeat.
Bottom line: They want their protein powders with more protein.
Not so fast.
Despite some supplements packing a more powerful protein punch than others, it doesn’t mean their protein quality is already superior (ever heard of fillers and amino spiking?). UMP Ultimate Muscle Protein’s milk protein isolate component should help you take a trip down memory lane back to the Golden Era of Bodybuilding.
Bear in mind Arnold and Co. did not have access to top-notch protein supplements back in the day. They were not muscle-bound freaks: They were also smart because they improvised. For instance, Arnold supplemented with a shake made of milk, eggs, and honey to help build muscle mass.
We’re confident milk protein isolate can help you in that regard, folks.
Don’t let the 80:20 casein to whey ratio of milk protein isolate fool you. You may be thinking you need more whey or fast-absorbing protein after a hard workout to get superior results, but take one hard look at the bodybuilders of the 1960s – they certainly got by, didn’t they?
The manufacturer’s official website also says, “The perfect proportions of proprietary proteins are formulated to help jumpstart and then sustain muscle protein synthesis.”
Keeping that in mind, many of today’s fitness experts vouch for a whey and casein combo to help you remain in an anabolic state longer. Milk protein isolate does that. You also get a great calcium fix. What’s not to love here?
In terms of flavor, UMP Ultimate Muscle Protein has one of the best-tasting milk protein isolate formulas we’ve ever tried. We mean it, folks. Get yours today.
Now, let’s take a look at the formula ingredients:
- Fat, 3.5 g: You’d expect a milk protein isolate supplement to have this much fat per serving. If you think about it, it isn’t much considering it’s five percent of the daily value. UMP Ultimate Muscle Protein has medium-chain triglycerides, which help you maintain a healthy weight, increase energy levels, and improve diegestion. Awesome.
- Cholesterol, 5 mg: We’ve come across many protein supplements whose cholesterol levels are a bit too much for our liking. This one keeps it low at two percent the daily value. Kudos to the manufacturer for doing a great job.
- Sodium, 200 mg: The manufacturer indicated “200 g” for sodium in the ingredients list. Obviously, that’s a mistake, folks. Nonetheless, 200 milligrams of sodium per scoop is a bit high considering it’s eight percent of the daily value (anything more than five percent is a bit excessive). Check with your doctor if this concerns you.
- Potassium, 310 mg: Strike two: The manufacturer wrote “310 g” per serving for potassium. We’re just stating the obvious here – it’s supposed to be in milligrams. This much potassium per scoop is valued at nine percent the daily value. Don’t get us wrong, folks. Potassium works in tandem with sodium in regulating water levels and controlling your blood pressure. However, too much of it may be detrimental to those with heart issues. It bears repeating, but please consult your physician if you’re one of them.
- Total carbohydrates, 4 g: UMP Ultimate Muscle Protein’s carb content is low at a measly one percent of the daily value. And get this: The Chocolate flavor has zero sugar. You may wonder why such a great-tasting Chocolate-flavored supplement packs a wallop given that fact. Wonder no more: It’s a credit to the manufacturer. On the flip side, we spotted carrageenan as one of the ingredients of the Strawberry flavor (no wonder it’s the lowest-rated flavor). Just so you know, fitness experts have linked this additive to diabetes, inflammation, and even cancer. Watch out, folks. All things considered, UMP Ultimate Muscle Protein is a valuable asset in building lean muscle mass. Period.
- Calcium, 35 mg: Since UMP Ultimate Muscle Protein is a milk isolate product, it’s pretty obvious the calcium levels are sky high at 35 percent the daily value (higher than the likes of PEScience SELECT Protein). Needless to say, your teeth and bones will benefit a great deal. And let’s not forget about blood pressure – fitness experts say low-fat dairy, along with a heap of fruits and vegetables, helps keep it in check. Perfect.
- Iron, .5 mg: UMP Ultimate Muscle Protein is not a significant source of iron at just two percent the daily value. You can get your iron fix from other supplements instead.
- Magnesium, 110 mg: Not only is this product a great source of calcium, it is also a terrific source of magnesium. Just so you know, the latter mineral also helps maintain strong bones. Plus, it helps prevent high blood pressure and heart issues. It’s a terrific all-around ingredient, folks. If your protein supplement has enough magnesium, consider it a bonus.
Okay, so let’s begin with the 20 grams of protein per serving of UMP Ultimate Muscle Protein. Milk protein isolate is an underrated source of fast- and slow-absorbing protein.
The good news: Casein and whey protein are inherently present in milk protein isolate. Some manufacturers add whey and casein separately, which rouses the ire of some fitness experts – they feel adding casein to whey ruins a good thing.
For instance, some of them believe casein’s slow-digesting properties may cause some digestive discomfort. You don’t get any of that with milk protein isolate.
Check out this product’s egg white protein component as well. This ingredient not only packs a great deal of protein, it also has good fats which complement the medium-chain triglycerides perfectly.
Like we already pointed out, bodybuilders from the Golden Era reaped its benefits. We don’t see any reason why you can’t.
That includes guys like Frank Zane:
One gripe we have is the amount of protein in UMP Ultimate Muscle Protein, which is just 20 grams per serving. It wouldn’t hurt to amp it up a bit more, would it?
We like the fact this product is low in fat, cholesterol, and carbs because it will help you pack on some serious lean muscle mass.
However, those facets are not the most attractive about UMP Ultimate Muscle Protein.
That distinction belongs to the select ingredients we mentioned – namely medium-chain triglycerides, calcium, and magnesium. We feel their addition will help you stay fit as the guys from the Golden Era. Seriously.
Finally, Beverly International displays great transparency – you know how much of each ingredient goes in your body. Awesome.
Despite its good points, UMP Muscle Protein is not a perfect product.
Take its high sodium and potassium content, for instance. Please take our word for it: Too much of either may backfire on your cardiovascular system. Ask your doctor for advice if you have any cardiovascular concerns.
And then there’s the inclusion of that nasty additive known as carrageenan in the Strawberry flavor. We feel the manufacturer could have done away with this. It could have used a potent, low-calorie sweetener such as stevia instead.
In closing, we can’t help but feel suspicious there may be some fillers in this product. Take a look at the number of ingredients. That could be a dead giveaway.
UMP Ultimate Muscle Protein Benefits
According to Beverly International, UMP Ultimate Muscle Protein helps “stimulate both muscle growth and recovery.” The manufacturer lists some of its other benefits:
- Pack on lean muscle mass and torch fat
- Great-tasting formula (we agree wholeheartedly)
- Sustained release helps maintain a positive nitrogen balance for muscle growth
- Increases energy levels and boost the immune system
- One serving has a heap of BCAAs and amino acids which help increase energy and kickstart protein synthesis
- Great solubility
- Can even be taken at night due to milk protein isolate’s casein component
We agree with each and every one of these points. In our opinion, UMP Ultimate Muscle Protein is one of the most versatile milk protein isolate-based supplements we’ve reviewed. We mean it, folks.
Who Takes It?
UMP Ultimate Muscle Protein is meant for athletes, bodybuilders, fitness enthusiasts and active individuals who want to build lean muscle mass, boost recovery, and meet their daily protein requirements.
Any Side Effects?
UMP Ultimate Muscle Protein has no glaring side effects. However, we caution those who have cardiovascular issues to be wary of the sodium and potassium content. We advise these individuals to seek their physician’s advice before purchasing.
Those who are allergic to milk, soy, and egg should refrain from purchasing UMP Ultimate Muscle Protein.
Finally, the manufacturer issues a friendly advice for everyone to follow:
UMP Ultimate Muscle Protein Summary
- Milk protein isolate as the primary protein ingredient. 80:20 casein to whey ratio.
- Helps maintain positive nitrogen balance. Thanks largely to the slow- and fast-absorbing protein combo.
- Delicious. Major understatement, folks.
- Bonus ingredients. High in calcium and magnesium. Also has medium-chain triglycerides.
- Low-calories, Low-fat, low-sugar, and low-carb. Need we say more?
- High in sodium and potassium. Those with cardiovascular issues should take heed.
- Strawberry flavor has carrageenan . Additive under a great deal of scrutiny.
- May have fillers. Number of ingredients could be a dead giveaway.
Pricing & Buying Info
- 1 two-lb. container (30-Day Supply): $35.96
- Available to buy online and in retail
Final Word on UMP Ultimate Muscle Protein
UMP Ultimate Muscle Protein could revolutionize the entire supplement industry with its awesome milk protein isolate component.
Taking a supplement such as this one takes you back to the Golden Era of Bodybuilding. Arnold and Co. knew how to take care of their health; and sometimes you have to do it the Old School Way. It seems UMP Ultimate Muscle Protein is a throwback to the good ‘ol days.
Despite its flaws, this product is worth a shot, folks. We’re confident it will help you achieve your fitness goals and then some.