If you’re vegan or vegetarian, you may be on the market for a good plant-based protein supplement. This Amazing Grass Protein & Kale review will give you the lowdown on a product which may be right up your alley.
About Amazing Grass Protein & Kale
Amazing Grass Protein & Kale is “a simple blend of plant-based protein combined with organic leafy greens including kale,” per its official website. Formula notes:
- Twenty grams of protein per scoop. Plant-based protein from peas, chia, and quinoa.
- Contains one cup of leafy, green vegetables. Easy way to get your vegetable fix.
- Below average taste. Customers’ biggest gripe so far.
Amazing Grass Protein & Kale Supplement Facts (Smooth Chocolate, 495 grams)
|About 15 servings per container
Serving size: 1 scoop (37 g)
|Nutrient||Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value|
|Total Fat||2.5 g||3%|
|Saturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||11 g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g||10%|
|Total Sugars||5 g|
|Includes 5 g Added Sugars||10%|
|Vitamin A||100 mcg||10%|
|Vitamin K||69 mcg||60%|
|Vitamin C||0 mg||0%|
|Ingredients: Organic Protein & Greens Blend (Pea Protein, Kale, Barley Grass, Wheat Grass, Alfalfa, Quinoa, Chia), Organic Cane Sugar, Organic Cocoa, Natural Flavor, Sea Salt, Monk Fruit Extract, Xanthan Gum|
|Suggested Use: Mix one serving with 12 or more oz. of water, juice, or mixed into your favorite smoothie. Scoop, stir, smile!|
Plant-Based Protein With Nutritious Greens
We’ve reviewed some plant-based protein supplements here on B5. There are plenty of vegans and vegetarian bodybuilding enthusiasts who are on the market for protein powders which pack a serious wallop.
Taking the plant-based route when it comes to protein has several impressive benefits:
- Offers an allergen-free alternative
- Supplies the body with dietary fiber, vitamins, and minerals
- Ramps up metabolism
- Balances the body’s natural pH levels
- Contains no artificial growth hormones
If you haven’t tried plant-based protein supplements, now would be a great time to do so. Perhaps the most impressive we’ve seen to date is Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Plant. Its 24 grams of protein per scoop from organic pea protein, organic brown rice protein, and organic sacha inchi protein can help you build serious muscle mass.
Some post-workout supplements also offer plant-based alternatives. A good example is Natural Force Organic Recovery Nectar. If you want a 100 percent all-natural product to boost your post-workout results, this one should help.
On that note, we’re confident Amazing Grass Protein & Kale should also help you achieve your fitness goals. This product is one of the most popular (if not the most popular) plant-based protein supplements around. Its more than eight thousand reviews on Amazon should serve as hard evidence. Its Smooth Chocolate flavor offers you more than just protein – it also has organic leafy greens which take your health to the next level.
“A simple blend of plant-based protein combined with organic leafy greens including kale, the latest nutrition powerhouse to be grown on our family farm in Kansas. With a smooth chocolate flavor and satisfying texture, this dynamic duo of protein + greens is a convenient way to get the whole-food nutrition your body needs with an amazing flavor your taste buds will love,” per its official website.
Bear in mind many bodybuilding supplement manufacturers lace their products with all sorts of fillers (examples include MuscleTech 100% Protein Plus Isolate and BETANCOURT MUSCLE SERUM). As much as possible, steer clear of these. The more natural a supplement is, the better. We’re hoping Amazing Greens Protein & Kale can meet that criteria and exceed everybody’s expectations.
Formulation, 33 grams
One scoop of Amazing Greens Protein & Kale packs 33 grams various nutrients. It has 20 grams of protein per 33-gram scoop (which means one scoop is roughly 67 percent protein).
Interestingly enough, the manufacturer didn’t indicate the equivalent daily value for protein on the label. We’re certain Amazing Greens Protein & Kale packs a solid 40 percent of the daily value for protein (a minimum daily value of 15 percent is high). This much should help you muscle up, shorten your exercise recovery time, and meet your daily protein requirements.
Amazing Greens Protein & Kale’s protein blend has three components: pea protein, chia protein, and quinoa protein. If you’re a health food nut, these should excite you to no end.
On average, one cup of peas yields nine grams of protein. That’s roughly 18 percent of the daily value for protein, which is still high. Not only does it help you build muscle, but it also has other impressive health benefits:
- Increases fat loss
- Boosts cardiovascular function
- Improves renal health
- Promotes healthy blood sugar levels
Plus, pea protein also helps increase muscle thickness. “The consumption of pea protein promotes gains in biceps brachii thickness and especially in beginners or people returning to weight training,” per the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition’s January 21, 2015 issue (via NCBI.NLM.NIH.gov). Ergo, pea protein is a good choice for muscling up on arm day at the gym.
As for chia, it’s a seed whose health benefits date back to thousands of years. In fact, Aztec warriors consumed them to ramp up their energy levels. Twenty-eight grams of chia seeds give you around four to five grams of protein. Unfortunately, chia seeds don’t have the sterling reputation which pea protein does in terms of athletic performance and muscle-building. Even if you consume 25 grams of it daily for two weeks, you won’t experience a significant increase in athletic performance, per The FASEB Journal’s April 1, 2016 issue.
Nevertheless, chia seeds are a tremendous source of antioxidants, vitamins (particularly vitamin E), minerals (calcium, potassium, and magnesium), omega 3 ALA, and dietary fiber. Check out their long-term health benefits:
- Ward off free radicals
- Boost digestion
- Improve cardiovascular and dental health
- Regulate blood sugar levels
- Strengthen bones
- Ramp up muscle mass and fat loss
Even if chia seed comes up short in the athletic performance department, it still helps improve your overall health. We’ll take that any time of day.
The last protein component is quinoa, a flowering plant and a member of the amaranth family. One cup gives you around eight grams of protein (roughly equal to 16 percent of the daily value). You can see pea protein and quinoa are neck and neck when it comes to protein content. We’re positive quinoa’s protein content will help you make the important transition from a catabolic (muscle breakdown) state to an anabolic (muscle-building) one after a grueling workout.
Quinoa is also a great source of dietary fiber, minerals, and vitamins. “Quinoa is also a good source of B vitamins riboflavin and folic acid compared to other grains, similar in amounts of thiamine, but lower in niacin on average,” per the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations’ official website. The takeaway: quinoa is clearly more than just protein. It’ll help shore up your long-term health as well.
Overall, we love Amazing Grass Protein & Kale’s protein blend. Twenty grams of protein per serving plus amazing health benefits are a tremendous package deal. Not only will you muscle up, but you’ll give your body the nutrients they deserve. It just doesn’t get any better than that.
Their health benefits are just the proverbial tip of the iceberg. As the product’s name clearly implies, it has kale – a leafy green vegetable which has gained serious traction among fitness enthusiasts. Check out what it can do for you:
- Wards off inflammation
- Improves heart health
- Boosts detoxification
- Keeps free radicals at bay
Kale is an amazing source of vitamin K and iron. No wonder Amazing Grass Protein & Kale has a solid 60 percent of the daily value for the former and 35 percent of the daily value for the latter. Vitamin K helps ward off free radicals, strengthen bones, and regulate blood clots. For its part, iron helps form hemoglobin and enzymes, transport oxygen to the body’s different organs, and boost liver function. We’re certain you’ll reap all of these magnificent benefits when you supplement with Amazing Grass Protein & Kale.
You’ll also find other natural ingredients in this product such as barley grass, wheat grass, and alfalfa. Their combined benefits include improved immune and digestive system function, better liver health, increased energy levels and protection against free radicals, more weight loss, lower cholesterol levels. You just cannot pass up on these.
Our first impression: Amazing Grass Protein & Kale contains solid amounts of protein and greens which should help take your health to the next level. Unfortunately, it has a few flaws (cane sugar inclusion, below-average taste, and small serving size). We’re afraid these will take a heavy toll on this product’s final grade.
Let’s check out the formula ingredients:
- Total fat, 2.5 g: Amazing Grass Protein & Kale is a low-fat supplement at just three percent of the daily value (a maximum daily vale of five percent is low).
- Saturated fat, 0.5 g: This supplement is low in saturated fats at just 0.5 grams per scoop. However, the manufacturer didn’t indicate the daily value for this nutrient. Strange, to say the least.
- Trans fat, 0 g: Amazing Grass Protein & Kale has no trans fat content whatsoever.
- Cholesterol, 0 mg: This supplement doesn’t have any cholesterol content, either. This is great.
- Sodium, 390 mg: Amazing Grass Protein & Kale has high sodium levels at 17 percent of the daily value (from sea salt). If you’re monitoring your salt intake, consult your doctor before buying this product.
- Total carbohdyrate, 11 g: This product is low in carbs at a measly four percent of the daily value. It should complement any low-carb nutrition plan perfectly.
- Dietary fiber, 3 g: Amazing Grass Protein & Kale has moderate dietary fiber intake at 10 percent of the daily value. This much can still help regulate cholesterol and blood sugar levels, promote regular bowel movement, and improve heart health.
- Total sugars, 5 g (includes added sugars 5 g): This product has moderate sugar content at 10 percent of the daily value. The principal sugar sources are cane sugar and monk fruit extract. Some experts say cane sugar provides minerals such as magnesium, calcium, potassium, and iron. However, detractors say it’s nothing more than empty calories like brown and white sugar. The company should’ve used monk fruit extract exclusively – it helps boost weight loss, boost liver and heart function, ward off free radicals, and regulate blood sugar, cholesterol, and triglyceride levels.
- Protein, 20 g: Amazing Grass Protein & Kale gives you a solid 40 percent of the daily value for protein (although the manufacturer doesn’t divulge this on the supplement facts). The combination of organic pea protein, chia protein, and quinoa protein should help you muscle up, fill your nutrition gaps, and meet your daily protein requirements. It’s a safe bet for vegans and vegetarians alike.
- Vitamin A, 100 mcg: This supplement is a decent source of vitamin A at 10 percent of the daily value. This vitamin helps improve vision, regulate immunity, keep free radicals at bay, and strengthen bones and teeth.
- Vitamin K, 69 mcg: Amazing Grass Protein & Kale is a solid source of vitamin K at 60 percent of the daily value (mainly from its kale content). This vitamin helps regulate blood clots, regulate blood sugar levels, and regulate immune and digestive system function.
- Vitamin C, 0 mg: Amazing Grass Protein & Kale has no vitamin C content whatsoever.
- Calcium, 80 mg: This product’s calcium levels are bordering on low at just six percent of the daily value.
- Iron, 6 mg: Thanks to its superb kale content, Amazing Greens Protein & Kale gives you an impressive 35 percent of the daily value for iron. This mineral helps keep anemia at bay, regulate body temperature, produce hemoglobin, enhance cognitive function, and improve sleep quality.
- Potassium, 250 mg: This supplement’s potassium levels are bordering on low at just six percent of the daily value.
Amazing Grass Protein & Kale has received so much hype from customers since its launch. On paper, it looks like a solid plant-based protein supplement which can also boost your long-term health. Did it exceed expectations? No, it didn’t. The intangibles (transparency, high sodium levels, cane sugar inclusion, small serving size, and below average taste) got in the way.
Nevertheless, Amazing Grass Protein & Kale supplies your muscles with an impressive 20 grams of protein per scoop. This much represents a solid 40 percent of the daily value (it’s just strange the manufacturer doesn’t indicate this on the supplement facts). Expect increased muscle mass and shorter recovery time as a result. Vegans and vegetarians who want to muscle up will rejoice.
You can’t go wrong with the plant-based trio of organic pea protein, chia protein, and quinoa protein. Not only do they yield above average protein content, but they also have a plethora of other health benefits (improve cardiovascular and renal function, healthier blood sugar levels, increased antioxidant protection, energy levels, and fat loss; and stronger bones.
If you need to go to the local juice bar to get your kale fix, you don’t need to with Amazing Grass Protein & Kale. This product is a tremendous source of this powerful leafy, green vegetable. The proof is in the pudding: it supplies you with an impressive 60 percent of the daily value for vitamin K and 35 percent of the daily value for iron. We love it.
We also love this product’s low fat (three percent of the daily value), cholesterol (zero percent of the daily value), and carb content (four percent of the daily value). These should bode well for excellent long-term health.
On the other hand, Amazing Grass Protein & Kale’s sodium levels are high at 17 percent of the daily value. If you’re monitoring your salt intake, please consult a physician first before purchasing this product.
This supplement also has inconsistent transparency – the company doesn’t reveal the daily value for protein and saturated fats. This move is a bit of a head scratcher.
The inclusion of cane sugar was also questionable. Some experts say it’s a good source of minerals such as magnesium, calcium, and iron. However, naysayers insist it’s nothing more than just empty calories. With these, the jury on cane sugar is still out. Like we said, the manufacturer should’ve used monk fruit extract exclusively – it’s a natural sweetener with the better track record.
The serving size (15 servings) isn’t all that great, either. Customers say it isn’t enough to justify this supplement’s $32.99 price tag. We agree wholeheartedly.
Finally, consumers’ biggest gripe of Amazing Grass Protein & Kale is its taste – they say it’s like chugging on grass with only a hint of the Smooth Chocolate flavor. We agree wholeheartedly. What’s the use of reaping all of its health benefits if you can’t get past the taste to begin with? It doesn’t make sense to us.
For all its worth, Amazing Grass Protein & Kale is a decent yet overhyped bodybuilding supplement. It’s not the powerhouse product many people hoped it was. While it’s a respectable alternative source of protein and other nutrients, it comes up short in many areas. The manufacturer has its work cut out for it, to say the least. If it doesn’t get its act together, customers are better off buying a better plant-based protein supplement such as Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Plant.
Amazing Grass Protein & Kale Benefits
Amazing Grass Protein & Kale has the following benefits, per its official website:
- Yields 20 grams of protein per serving
- Contains one cup of leafy, green vegetables
- Boasts of USDA Certified Organic certification
- Contains no gluten, dairy, grains, and stevia
We agree with all of these claims. While Amazing Grass Protein & Kale is not a perfect product, it can give you some impressive health benefits.
Who Takes It?
The manufacturer intended Amazing Grass Protein & Kale for healthy and active individuals who are looking for an alternative source of protein. These people also aim to build muscle mass, shorten exercise recovery time, fill nutrition gaps, meet their daily protein requirements, and achieve their daily fitness goals.
Any Side Effects?
Amazing Grass Protein & Kale contains 17 percent of the daily value for sodium, which is a high amount. If you’re monitoring your salt intake, please consult your doctor before buying this product.
Amazing Grass Protein & Kale Review Summary
- Twenty grams of protein per scoop. Equal to solid 40 percent of the daily value.
- Plant-based protein. Great alternative protein source from peas, chia, and quinoa for vegans and vegetarians.
- Kale content. Yields impressive 60 percent and 35 percent of the daily value for vitamin K and iron, respectively.
- Equal to one cup of leafy green vegetables. It just doesn’t get any better than that.
- Low in fats, cholesterol, and carbs. These bode well for long-term health.
- Has monk fruit extract. Natural sweetener which helps increase fat loss, keep free radicals at bay, and improve liver and heart health.
- High sodium content. Equal to 17 percent of the daily value.
- Cane sugar inclusion. The jury is still out on this sweetener.
- Small serving size. Price of $32.99 isn’t enough to justify the small 15-serving size.
- Below average taste. Far and away, this is the customers’ biggest gripe of this product. We agree.
Pricing & Where to Buy
- 1 495-gram container (15-Day Supply): $32.99
- Available online and in retail
Final Word on Amazing Grass Protein & Kale
Amazing Grass Protein & Kale is the perfect example of a product which sounds too good to be true: combining plant-based protein and one cup of leafy, green vegetables seems to be the perfect antidote for long-term health. It’s a good formula.
However, you can’t reap its benefits if you can’t get past the taste, for one. High sodium content, sugar cane inclusion, and a below average taste set off a domino effect which pull this product’s value down. Nonetheless, we recommend you try it, but with reservations. If all else fails, buy a better plant-based protein supplement such as Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Plant. Without a doubt, that is the better deal.
Leave a Reply