If you want a tasty and effective pre-workout, MuscleTech Lab Series Pre-Build could be right up your alley. This review will help you size up another up-and-coming player in the bodybuilding supplement industry.
About MuscleTech Lab Series Pre-Build
Muscle Tech Lab Series Pre-Build is the “Clinically-Dosed Max Strength Pre-Workout which delivers “the most explosive neurosensory experience,” per its official website. Formula notes:
- Impressive ingredient combo. Covers just about all of the pre-workout bases.
- Great reputation. Customers have been raving about its taste and upsides..
- Laden with fillers. Contains sucralose, carrageenan, and FD&C Blue No. 1.
MuscleTech Lab Series Pre-Build Supplement Facts (Gummy Worm, 30 servings)
|Serving Size: 1 Scoop (8 g)
Servings Per Container: Approx. 30
|Nutrient||1 scoop||%DV||2 scoop||% DV|
|Total Carbohydrate||<1 g||0%*||<1 g||0%*|
|Sodium||10 g||<1%*||20 g||<1%*|
|Performance & Endurance Compound|
|CarnoSyn® Beta-alanine||1.6 g||†||3.2 g||1%*|
|Taurine||500 mg||†||1 g||1%*|
|L-Citrulline||1.5 g||†||3 g||1%*|
|ViNitrox™ Grape juice extract (as Vitis vinifera) and Apple skin extract (as Malus pumila)
Standardized for 95% Polyphenols
|250 mg||†||500 mg||1%*|
|Sensoril® Ashwagandha extract (as Withania somnifera)(root and leaf)||62.5 mg||†||125 mg||1%*|
|Betaine anhydrous||1.25 g||†||2.5 g||1%*|
|Energy + Matrix|
|Caffeine anhydrous||175 mg||†||350 mg||1%*|
|Choline bitartrate||100 mg||†||200 mg||1%*|
|Galangal extract (as Alpinia officinarum)(root)||150 mg||†||300 mg||1%*|
|TeaCrine® (supplying 40% theacrine)||62.5 mg||†||125 mg||1%*|
|Yohimbe extract (as Pausinystalia yohimbe)(bark)
Standardized for 6% yohimbine
|20 mg||†||40 mg||1%*|
|Ingredients: Citric Acid, Silicon Dioxide, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Malic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sucralose, Acesulfame-Potassium, Gum Blend (Cellulose gum, Xanthan gum, Carrageenan, Dextrose), FD&C Blue No. 1.|
|Directions: Please read the entire directions before consuming and follow the tolerance assessment protocol. Assess your tolerance first by mixing 1 serving (1 scoop) with 8 oz. of cold water and downing it about 30 minutes before your daily workout. Once tolerance has been assessed, increase the dosage to 2 scoops mixed with 16 oz. of water before working out. Do not exceed 2 scoops in a 24-hour period. Maintain an adequate state of hydration during use.|
The Clinically-Dosed Max Strength Pre-Workout
We reviewed MuscleTech VaporX5 RIPPED recently. It’s one of the versatile pre-workout supplements on the market which can double as a fat burner mainly because of its l-carnitine l-tartrate and green coffee components. It’s a practical option for many customers – they get two supplements for the price of one.
Unfortunately, we discovered the manufacturer laced MuscleTech Vapor X5 RIPPED’s Icy Rocket Freeze flavor with fillers (sucralose, carrageenan, and FD&C Blue No. 1). That’s a huge turn-off.
If you read our MuscleTech 100% Whey Protein Plus Isolate review, we griped about this manufacturer’s propensity for to include fillers. We said we hope the company changes this disturbing trend sooner than later. So far, it has yet to happen.
We’re hoping it makes a complete turnaround with MuscleTech Lab Series Pre-Build, an up-and-coming pre-workout.
The manufacturer calls this supplement its “Clinically-Dosed Max Strength Pre-Workout which delivers “the most explosive neurosensory experience,” per its official website. Now, that’s a description which packs a serious wallop. Let’s see if the company backs it up.
MuscleTech Lab Series Pre-Build has several blends. The first time you look at them, you know what to expect: increased endurance and muscle pumps, more muscle mass, enhanced cognitive function, and ramped-up energy levels. It’s the same as MuscleTech VaporX5 RIPPED in that regard. Well done.
The best part: these are not shady proprietary blends we’re talking about. Indeed, honesty is the best policy. MuscleTech Lab Series Pre-Build is off to a great start. It seems it’s one pre-workout supplement which can cover all the bases.
Performance & Endurance Compound
MuscleTech Lab Series Performance & Endurance Compound features 1.6 grams of CarnoSyn Beta-Alanine and 500 milligrams of taurine per eight-gram scoop.
Beta-alanine is one of the most common pre-workout supplement ingredients. This naturally-occurring beta amino acid helps buffer muscle carnosine levels. When that happens, you’ll be able to ward off fatigue and work out longer and harder. We love beta-alanine. It’ll help you crank out more reps at the gym, for sure.
We say 1.6 grams per serving will go a long way. It’s at par with many competitors such as Bodybuilding.com Signature Pre-Workout (which has 1.5 grams per scoop).
We also love taurine for one simple reason: versatility. Let’s rattle off its key health benefits:
- Enhances cognitive function
- Improves sleep quality
- Boosts cardiovascular function
- Shortens recovery time
- Wards off oxidative stress
- Ramps up testosterone levels
- Improves insulin sensitivity
- Increases fat loss
You can clearly see taurine supplementation covers many fitness areas. If there’s one amino acid you must include in your stack, it’s taurine.
The journal Advances in Physical Education’s August 17, 2011 issue (via SCIRP.org) says, “Taurine supplementation has been shown to increase exercise time-to-exhaustion, with doses of two to six grams/day for one week suggested to be beneficial.”
It also says 500 milligrams in a pre-workout supplement “may have been too low to elicit an improvement in endurance performance.” Here’s the thing: even if experts consider MuscleTech Lab Series Pre-Build’s taurine content low, its other components (particularly caffeine) can pick up the slack.
We like the Performance & Endurance Compound. Expect CarnoSyn Beta-Alanine to increase your endurance more than taurine. Nonetheless, they should work great in tandem to give you great results.
No pre-workout formula would be complete without those muscle pump benefits. Leading the charge for MuscleTech Lab Series Pre-Build’s Pump Matrix is 1.5 grams of l-citrulline per serving.
Just like beta-alanine, l-citrulline is another popular pre-workout ingredient. This is a non-essential amino acid which helps increase vasodilation and nitric oxide production. Many bodybuilding enthusiasts can’t live without it because of its ability to increase muscle pumps.
Since l-citrulline helps improve blood flow, it also helps promote healthy blood pressure levels. That’s one impressive bonus right there.
Unfortunately, this supplement’s l-citrulline content pales in comparison to the likes of Optimum Nutrition PRO PRE, which has an otherworldly six grams per scoop). If you want insane muscle pumps, there are other products which produce better results than MuscleTech Lab Series Pre-Build.
As for this product’s ViNitrox Grape Extract component, it takes up 250 milligrams per serving. Grape extract is a rare pre-workout ingredient, so it doesn’t have the proven muscle pump benefits of l-citrulline.
Nevertheless, some studies say it shows promise in terms of exercise endurance. With that, the inclusion of ViNitrox Grape Extract should also complement MuscleTech Lab Series Pre-Build’s sub-par taurine content.
This blend’s third component is 62.5 milligrams of Sensoril Ashwagandha Extract (as Withania somnifera)(root and leaf) per eight-gram scoop. This adaptogen has several important health benefits:
- Increases energy levels and muscle mass
- Boosts mental cognition
- Improves heart health
- Regulates endothelial function
- Ramps up testosterone levels
- Incinerates fat
It sure seems to us Sensoril Ashwagandha Extract is a bona fide Jack of all trades. We’re glad it’s in MuscleTech Lab Series Pre-Build.
All in all, the Pump Matrix isn’t as potent as other pre-workouts on the market. Two hundred fifty milligrams of ViNitrox Grape Extract 1.5 grams of l-citrulline per scoop aren’t enough to offset the more powerful muscle pump benefits of other pre-workouts.
MuscleTech Lab Series Pre-Build’s Muscle-Building Matrix features a solitary ingredient: 1.25 grams of betaine anhydrous per serving.
This is an amino acid and natural ingredient of whole foods such as amaranth grain, quinoa, spinach, beets, and wheat bran. Betaine anhydrous helps boost heart health and digestion, improve liver health, and increase fat loss and power.
Studies also say betaine anhydrous ramps up growth hormones and improves insulin response in animal subjects. This could be a good sign for future studies involving human subjects.
In fact, the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition’s March 14, 2013 issue says, “Six weeks of betaine supplementation improved body composition, muscle size, work capacity, attenuated a rise in HCTL, tended to improve power, but not strength, in resistance-trained men.”
Many pre-workouts have 1.5 grams of betaine anhydrous per serving or so. That means MuscleTech Lab Series Pre-Build is right on the industry average. We’re confident you’ll reap the full benefits of this ingredient.
Energy + Matrix
MuscleTech Lab Series Pre-Build’s Energy + Matrix blend features 175 milligrams of caffeine anhydrous and 100 milligrams of choline bitartrate per scoop.
Caffeine anhydrous is the pure, powdered form of this ingredient (arguably the most popular stimulant in the world). Caffeine has several key benefits:
- Increases energy levels
- Boosts fat loss
- Improves physical performance
- Regulates blood sugar levels and liver function
- Keeps free radicals at bay
- May increase longevity
However, caffeine is a double-edged sword: it may cause nervousness, jitters, a spike-crash effect, and sleeplessness in some individuals. MuscleTech Lab Series’ Pre-Build’s caffeine content is equal to just over one cup of coffee. If you’re sensitive to caffeine, skip this one.
For its part, choline bitartrate is a popular nootropic. You can find it naturally in broccoli, peanuts, fish, meat, and eggs. It is a precursor of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine, which helps regulate the nervous system, boost memory. Choline also improves vision and may also help ramp up energy levels.
We’re confident MuscleTech Lab Series Pre-Build’s Energy + Matrix blend will live to its billing. If you need that jolt prior to a hard workout, this should help.
One advantage MuscleTech Lab Series Pre-Build has over other pre-workout supplements is its Neuro-Sensory Blend, which features three key ingredients: galangal extract, TeaCrine, and yohimbe extract.
This product has 150 milligrams of galangal extract (as Alpinia officinarum)(root) per scoop, another rare pre-workout component. This is a root crop and Chinese herb which is similar to ginger. It helps ward off free radicals, boost digestion, circulation, and immunity; and improves skin and hair health.
On the other hand, TeaCrine is “a nature-identical compound” which “delivers energy, mental clarity, and improved motivation and mood,” per its official website.
Experts have conducted few studies involving TeaCrine and human subjects. If you’re iffy about this ingredient, you can breathe a sigh of relief: the journal Nutrients‘ November 7, 2015 issue (via NCBI.NLM.NIH.gov) says, “The theacrine-containing dietary supplement TheaTrim does not significantly alter heart rate or blood pressure in healthy men or women.”
The final component of the Neuro-Sensory Blend is 20 milligrams of yohimbe extract (as Pausinystalia yohimbe)(bark) per serving. It’s a staple ingredient in MuscleTech pre-workouts (even MuscleTech VaporX5 RIPPED has it).
This herbal ingredient helps improve sexual function, regulate blood pressure and blood sugar levels, and boost alertness.
The Neuro-Sensory Blend is the most impressive ingredient group of MuscleTech Lab Series Pre-Build. In fact, we daresay it’s its main selling point. It will help you stay locked in for your workouts, for sure.
We were right: MuscleTech Lab Series Pre-Build covers all of the pre-workout bases. Although the manufacturer claims each ingredient is clinically-dosed, we feel some of them (particuarly l-citrulline and taurine) come up a tad bit short.
Plus, the manufacturer’s trend of including fillers (sucralose, carrageenan, and FD&C Blue No. 1) continues. It seems this will continue for the foreseeable future.
Nonetheless, MuscleTech Lab Series Pre-Build has potential. It’s not the best pre-workout supplement on the market, but it will make an impact.
Let’s check out the formula ingredients:
- Calories, 20: MuscleTech Lab Series Pre-Build is a low-calorie pre-workout supplement at just 20 calories per eight-gram scoop.
- Total carbohydrate, <1 g: This pre-workout is low in carbs at less than one gram per serving (a maximum daily value of five percent is low).
- Sugars, 0 g: MuscleTech Lab Series Pre-Build may have no sugar content, but it does have sucralose, an artificial sweetener which has links to obesity.
- Sodium, 10 g: This product’s sodium content represents less than one percent of the daily value, making it a viable alternative for those who are monitoring their sodium intake.
- CarnoSyn Beta-Alanine, 1.6 g: A naturally-occurring beta amino acid which helps buffer muscle carnosine levels for increased work capacity and resistance against fatigue.
- Taurine, 500 mg: A versatile amino acid which helps keep oxidative stress at bay, increase fat loss and testosterone levels, improve sleep quality, boost heart health, shorten recovery time, and improve insulin sensitivity.
- L-citrulline, 1.5 g: A non-essential amino acid which acts as a powerful vasodilator for improved blood flow and nutrient uptake, increased muscle pumps, and healthier blood pressure levels.
- ViNitrox Grape Juice Extract, 250 mg: An ingredient which experts believe increases exercise endurance. Grape juice also helps ward off free radicals, improve cardiovascular function, regulate blood pressure and blood sugar levels, and boost vision.
- Sensoril Ashwagandha Extract, 62.5 mg: An adaptogen which helps boost fat loss, increase testosterone levels, regulate endothelial function, improve cardiovascular health, enhance cognitive function, and ramp up energy levels and muscle mass.
- Betaine anhydrous, 1.25 g: An amino acid which helps increase fat loss and power, boost liver function, and regulate heart health and digestion. Some studies also say betaine anhydrous may increase muscle mass.
- Caffeine anhydrous, 175 mg: The pure, powdered form of caffeine which helps ramp up energy levels, increase longevity and fat loss, ward off free radicals, regulate blood sugar levels, boost liver health, and improve physical performance. However, caffeine may also cause a spike-crash effect, jitters, nervousness, and sleeplessness in some individuals.
- Choline bitartrate, 100 mg: A nootropic which helps regulate the nervous system, improve memory, boost vision, and increase energy levels.
- Galangal extract (as Alpinia officinarum)(root), 150 mg: a root crop which helps improve skin and hair health, keep free radicals at bay, and boost digestion, circulation, and immunity.
- TeaCrine (supplying 40 percent theacrine), 150 mg: a natural compound which helps increase energy levels, boost mental clarity, and improve mood.
- Yohimbe extract (as Pausinystalia yohimbe)(bark), 20 mg: This herb helps improve sexual function, promote healthy blood pressure and blood sugar levels, and boost alertness.
From the beginning, we hoped MuscleTech Lab Series Pre-Build not only met lofty expectations, but also come up with a clean and effective formula.
Well, you can scratch “clean” for now. More on that later. For now, this pre-workout supplement has promise. The impressive ingredients should work synergistically to help you achieve your pre-workout goals.
The two ingredients which stand out the most for us are 1.6 grams of Carnosyn Beta-Alanine and 1.25 grams of betaine anhydrous per serving. Why? These are time-tested bodybuilding ingredients whose amounts are at par with many big-name pre-workouts. You cannot go wrong with these.
Like we said, MuscleTech Lab Series Pre-Build’s most impressive ingredient group is the Neuro-Sensory Blend – the combination of galangal extract, TeaCrine, and yohimbe extract should help perk you up and increase your focus for the toughest workouts.
The other components – l-citrulline, taurine, Sensoril Ashwagandha extract, caffeine anhydrous, ViNitrox Grape Extract, and choline bitartrate – are great inclusions.
However, the amounts of l-citrulline (1.5 grams per scoop) and taurine (500 milligrams per scoop) come up a tad bit short, in our opinion. Good thing the other ingredients such as ViNitrox Grape Extract help pick up the slack in terms of exercise endurance.
So, if you want insane muscle pumps, MuscleTech Lab Series Pre-Build doesn’t fit the bill. We recommend you try other pre-workouts with hefty dosages of l-citrulline such as Optimum Nutrition PRO PRE (six grams per serving).
We also love this supplement’s low calorie, carbohydrate, and sodium content. We’re sure these will complement your fitness goals perfectly.
On the other hand, we give props to the manufacturer for excellent transparency – it reveals all of the ingredient amounts. No shady proprietary blends as well.
Customers have also sung MuscleTech Lab Series Pre-Build’s praises – they say the refreshing Gummy Worm flavor is easy on the taste buds. More importantly, it helps them conquer their workouts.
Aside from some insufficient ingredient amounts, this pre-workout has several fillers – sucralose, carrageenan, and FC&C Blue No. 1. Unfortunately, the manufacturer hasn’t cleaned up its act. We hope it will sooner than later.
After a thorough analysis, we say MuscleTech Lab Series Pre-Build is a flawed yet promising pre-workout supplement. It is comprehensive in nature. It should help you get the most of your workouts. We’re clamoring for a cleaner advanced formula in the future.
MuscleTech Lab Series Pre-Build Benefits
MuscleTech Lab Series Pre-Build has the following benefits, per its official website:
- Increased energy and focus
- Superior pumps and improved exercise performance
- More muscle mass
We agree with most of these claims. MuscleTech Lab Series Pre-Build is a promising pre-workout supplement which should help you in your fitness quest.
Who Takes It?
The manufacturer intended MuscleTech Lab Series Pre-Build for healthy and active individuals who are at least 18 years of age who want to increase energy levels, endurance, focus, and muscle mass and achieve their daily fitness goals.
Any Side Effects?
MuscleTech Lab Series Pre-Build has beta-alanine, an ingredient which may cause an itching or tingling sensation in the face and chest areas in some individuals.
This supplement also contains 175 milligrams of caffeine anhydrous, which is equal to just over one cup of brewed coffee. Caffeine may cause a spike-crash effect, jitters, nervousness, and sleeplessness in some people.
MuscleTech Lab Series Pre-Build also has sucralose, an artificial sweetener which may increase obesity. It also has carrageenan and FD&C Blue No. 1. The former is an artificial food additive which has links to carcinogenicity while the latter is an artificial food coloring which has several side effects.
If these, or any other ingredient, make you feel doubtful, please consult your doctor before buying MuscleTech Lab Series Pre-Build.
The manufacturer also issues a warning:
MuscleTech Lab Series Pre-Build Review Summary
- Impressive ingredients. Covers just about all of the pre-workout bases.
- Time-tested components. CarnoSyn Beta-Alanine and betaine anhydrous, to be precise.
- Neuro-Sensory Blend. Product’s biggest selling point for increased mental focus and clarity.
- Clinically-dosed ingredients. Ingredient amounts are the same as the ones in scientific studies.
- Excellent transparency. Manufacturer reveals all of the ingredient amounts.
- Great reputation. Customers have been raving about this product’s taste and upsides.
- Insufficient ingredient amounts. L-citrulline and taurine components may not meet expectations.
- Caffeine content. May cause a spike-crash effect, jitters, nervousness, and sleeplessness in some individuals.
- Fillers. Contains sucralose, carrageenan, and FD&C Blue No. 1.
Pricing & Where to Buy
- 1 240-gram Container (30-Day Supply): $34.99
- Available online and in retail
Final Word on MuscleTech Lab Series Pre-Build
All in all, MuscleTech Lab Series Pre-Build is a comprehensive yet flawed pre-workout supplement. We love its ingredient combination, but we’re not happy about the inclusion of dirty ingredients.
Nonetheless, we recommend you still try MuscleTech Lab Series Pre-Build, but with some reservations. If the manufacturer fails to come up with a cleaner advanced formula, there are heaps of other effective pre-workout supplements on the market.