If you’re keen on a unique pre-workout supplement which makes you dangerous, Kali Muscle Hyphy Mud 2.0 Extreme comes to mind: its B vitamin arsenal and rare formulation should help you crank our more reps in the gym, as you’ll find out in this review.
About Kali Muscle Hyphy Mud 2.0 Extreme
Kali Muscle Hyphy Mud 2.0 Extreme is “The World’s Best Pre-Workout Energy” which “makes you dangerous,” per its official website. Formula notes:
- Powerful formulation. Guaranteed to perk you up and keep you wired.
- Impressive B vitamin arsenal. Features vitamin B3, vitamin B6, and vitamin B12 for better heart health and increased energy levels.
- May produce side effects. A bit too many for our liking.
Kali Muscle Hyphy Mud 2.0 Extreme Supplement Facts (Orange Pina Colada, 144 grams)
|Serving Size: 1 Scoop (5.2 g)|
Servings Per Container: 30
|Nutrient||Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value|
|Niacin (as Niacinamide)||12 mg||60%|
|Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine)||1.5 mg||75%|
|Vitamin B12 (1% Cyanocobalamin)||18 mcg||300%|
|Hyphy Blend||3.8 g||**|
|Beta-Alanine, L-Citrulline DL Malate 2:1, Taurine, Caffeine Anhydrous, N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine, Agmatine Sulfate, Mucuna Pruriens (98% L-Dopa) Velvet Bean Extract (Mucuna Pruriens), Yohimbe Bark Extract (Std. Min. 8% Yohimbine HCl), Rosemary Leaf Extract 10:1 (Rosmarinum Officinalis), Higenamine HCl, Rauwolfia Vomitoria Extract (Std. Min. 90% Alpha Yohimbine)(rootbark)|
|Other Ingredients: Citric Acid, Natural and Artificial Flavoring, Silica, Sucralose, Malic Acid, Calcium Silicate, FD&C Yellow #5, FD&C Red #40.|
|Directions: As a dietary supplement, mix 1 scoop (4.8 g) with 4-8 ounces of cold water and consume 20-30 minutes before beginning activity.|
The World’s Best Pre-Workout Energy
If you haven’t checked out our pre-workout supplement reviews on B5, you’re missing out. If you need a strong kick prior to your workout, these bodybuilding products should give you the best bang for your buck. Some of the best pre-workout supplements we’ve seen include:
The pre-workouts which stand out jack you up not just physically, but mentally as well. These do the trick, and then some. We’re always on the lookout for other worthy pre-workouts which deserve recognition. We’re confident Kali Muscle Hyphy Mud 2.0 Extreme is one of them.
As the name suggests, this supplement is the successor of Kali Muscle Hyphy Mud and the signature pre-workout of the famous bodybuilder Kali Muscle. The original Hyphy Mud hit supplement store shelves in 2014. It featured top-notch components such as beta-alanine, taurine, citrulline malate, caffeine anhydrous, l-arginine alpha-ketoglutarate and several B vitamins to give you the best possible workout experience.
The bad news: apart from the B vitamins, the ingredients were a part of a shady proprietary blend which pulled Kali Muscle Hyphy Mud’s value way down. As for Kali Muscle Hyphy Mud 2.0 Extreme, the manufacturer dubs it “The World’s Best Pre-Workout Energy,” per its official website.
“This scientifically-formulated, cutting-edge pre-workout energy drink is designed to enhance mental focus, drive, aggression, and leave the rest of the gym envying your energy and intensity. Consuming this new generation formula will flip a switch from deep within you and make you dangerous,” per the same source.
This description is enticing, to say the least: it makes customers feel they can conquer their workouts and bust through those fitness plateaus. Will it make you dangerous? We certainly hope so, as many experts consider the previous formulation underwhelming.
Hyphy Blend, 3.8 grams
The original Kali Muscle Hyphy Mud had a two-gram Hyphy Blend which featured beta-alanine, taurine, citrulline malate, caffeine anhydrous, l-arginine alpha ketoglutarate (AAKG), para-aminobenzoic acid (PABA), and other components which aimed to perk you up prior to your workout.
For its part, Kali Muscle Hyphy Mud 2.0 Extreme has its own Hyphy Blend which takes up 3.8 grams per serving – this represents almost twice as much as its predecessor. We get the feeling the manufacturer wanted more powerful components to jack you up for your workouts like never before.
Unfortunately, Kali Muscle Hyphy Mud 2.0 Extreme’s Hyphy Blend is also a shady proprietary blend. This doesn’t bode well for consumers at all – the don’t know how much of each ingredient they’re putting in their bodies. You can tell the manufacturer’s transparency isn’t good at all.
Leading the charge is beta-alanine, a naturally-occurring beta amino acid which helps buffer muscle carnosine levels. Once that happens, you’ll experience increased work capacity and greater resistance against fatigue. In other words, you’ll be able to work out longer and harder.
The International Society of Sports Nutrition’s July 15, 2015 issue (via NCBI.NLM.NIH.gov) supports these facts. It says, “Four weeks of beta-alanine supplementation (four to six grams daily) significantly augments muscle carnosine contractions, thereby acting as an intracellular pH buffer.” Granted, Kali Muscle Hyphy Mud 2.0 Extreme’s beta-alanine content isn’t enough – it should’ve included more so consumers can reap optimum benefits.
This pre-workout supplement also has another popular ingredient: l-citrulline dl malate 2:1. This compound is two parts l-citrulline (a non-essential amino acid and nitric oxide booster) and one part dl-malic acid (which helps increase energy production). When you consume this l-citrulline dl malate 2:1, great things happen:
- Improved blood flow
- Increased vasodilation
- Healthier blood pressure levels
- Improved nutrient uptake
- Increased energy levels and muscle pumps
Many pre-workout enthusiasts love these benefits, and so do we. We love the inclusion of l-citrulline dl malate in Kali Muscle Hyphy Mud 2.0 Extreme.
Next up is taurine, a versatile amino acid which has several crucial benefits:
- Wards off oxidative stress
- Increases fat burning
- Improves insulin sensitivity
- Ramps up testosterone levels
- Shortens recovery time
- Boosts cardiovascular function
- Improves sleep quality
- Enhances cognitive function
While these health benefits certainly are impressive, some experts are not sold on taurine as a pre-workout ingredient because it acts as an inhibitory neurotransmitter (notice it helps you sleep better). Even if taurine has question marks, you can’t go wrong with its plethora of benefits.
Kali Muscle Hyphy Mud 2.0 Extreme also has caffeine anhydrous, the pure, powdered form of caffeine which helps increase energy levels, boost fat burning, improve physical performance, regulate blood sugar levels, boost liver function, and keep free radicals at bay.
Caffeine is arguably the most popular stimulant. However, it’s also a double-edged sword: it may cause a spike-crash effect, jitters, nervousness, and sleeplessness in some individuals. Because the Hyphy Blend is proprietary in nature, we don’t know how much caffeine is in this pre-workout. Nonetheless, if you’re sensitive to caffeine, skip this product.
The next key ingredient is n-acetyl l-tyrosine, the bioavailable form of l-tyrosine, which is a precursor to the neurotransmitters dopamine, adrenaline, and norepinephrine. When you take l-tyrosine, expect increased mental and physical energy.
However, it seems there are also a few questions about tyrosine as a pre-workout component. “Although it appears highly probable that tyrosine may have favorable effects on cognition during periods of sustained and severe stress, future high-quality studies with adequate dosing are needed to document this possibility,” per Military Medicine’s July 1, 2015 issue (via OXFORD Academic’s official website).
More pre-workout supplements are including l-tyrosine as a key ingredient. This tells us it’s gaining more traction among bodybuilding enthusiasts. Let’s hope experts conduct more studies to put any lingering doubts to rest.
Next up is agmatine sulfate, a derivative of the popular amino acid and vasodilator, l-arginine. Experts believe agmatine sulfate helps increase muscle pumps, energy levels, and focus. Here’s the hard truth: it’s not on the same level as l-citrulline, l-citrulline malate, and l-arginine. For all its worth, agmatine sulfate has no serious side effects. We’ll take that any day.
Kali Muscle Hyphy Mud 2.0 Extreme also has Mucuna pruriens (98 percent l-dopa) velvet bean extract (Mucuna pruriens). Simply known as velvet bean extract, this ingredient is another precursor to the neurotransmitter dopamine.
Experts believe sufficient dopamine levels help increase energy levels and human growth hormone (HGH) levels, enhance mood, ramp up testosterone levels, and improve sleep quality. Those are impressive benefits, if you ask us.
It seems the claims on velvet bean extract’s ability to ramp up HGH levels are legitimate. According to the October 2, 2011 issue of Nutrition and Metabolic Insights (via NCBI.NLM.NIH.gov), “Acute ingestion of an investigational dietary supplement containing the active ingredients Chlorophytum borivlianum and velvet bean results in an increase in circulating GH (growth hormone) in exercise-trained men.”
Kali Muscle Hyphy Mud 2.0 Extreme may not have Chlorophytum borivlianum, but the inclusion of velvet bean extract could potentially help you muscle up in tandem with sound nutrition and a protein supplement on the side.
This pre-workout also has yohimbe bark extract (standard minimum eight percent yohimbine hydrochloride). This is an African tree which helps increase vasodilation, power, endurance, and strength. Yohimbe also helps boost fat loss and improve sexual function.
Despite these benefits, some experts remain unconvinced: some human studies involving this ingredient conclude it’s not a big factor in improving athletic performance. In addition, it also has several side effects. Make sure to consult your doctor whenever you’re doubtful about any bodybuilding supplement ingredient.
Another key component is rosemary leaf extract 10:1 (Rosmarinum officinalis). This herbal ingredient has several impressive health benefits:
- Boosts memory and immunity
- Keeps stress levels and bacterial activity in check
- Improves gut function and dental health
- Increases blood flow
- Wards off migraines
Rosemary leaf extract is not a staple pre-workout ingredient. However, some animal studies conclude it may help keep oxidative stress levels in check during endurance exercise. We’re hoping more studies involving human subjects arrive at the same conclusion.
Kali Muscle Hyphy Mud 2.0 Extreme also has higenamine hydrochloride. This is a chemical compound and Chinese herb which helps boost fat loss, cardiovascular function, and respiration. A study which researchers published in Lipids in Health and Disease’s October 21, 2013 issue (via NCBI.NLM.NIH.gov) says, “Ingestion of a higenamine-based dietary supplement stimulates lipolysis and energy expenditure, as evidenced by a significant increase in circulating FFA (free fatty acids) and kilocalorie expenditure.”
The key takeaway: higenamine can help you achieve your weight-loss and pre-workout goals. We’re stoked it’s in Kali Muscle Hyphy Mud 2.0 Extreme.
The final component of the Hyphy Blend is Rauwolfia vomitoria extract (standard minimum 90 percent alpha yohimbine)(root bark). This African plant contains an alkaloid known as reserpine, which helps regulate blood pressure levels, improve blood flow, and increase muscle pumps. On that note, we’re confident this ingredient will complement Kali Muscle Hyphy Mud 2.0 Extreme’s l-citrulline dl malate component perfectly.
Research also reveals Rauwolfia vomitoria helps ramp up serotonin levels, which, in turn, enhance mood. Plus, it can also assist in fat loss. It sure seems to us it’s a Jack-of-all-trade pre-workout ingredient.
We can sum up this pre-workout’s Hyphy Blend in one word: unique. Many pre-workout supplements have similar formulations. Not this one. We’ve never seen a combination quite like it. While it’s not perfect, we’re sure it’ll make a difference in your workouts.
Let’s check out the formula ingredients:
- Niacin (as niacinamide), 12 mg: Simply known as vitamin B3, this ingredient helps promote optimal nerve function, regulate digestion, regulate blood sugar and blood pressure levels, and convert nutrients into energy. Kali Muscle Hyphy Mud 2.0 Extreme contains an impressive 60 percent of the daily value for vitamin B3 (a minimum daily value of 15 percent is high).
- Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine), 1.5 mg: Simply known as vitamin B6, this component helps boost heart and kidney health, regulate nervous and immune system function, boost metabolism, and maintain optimal hormone levels in the body. This pre-workout supplement has a solid 75 percent of the daily value for vitamin B6.
- Vitamin B12 (one percent cyanocobalamin), 18 mcg: This vitamin helps ramp up energy levels, improve cardiovascular and nervous system function, and form and maintain red blood cells. Kali Muscle Hyphy Mud 2.0 Extreme has an insane 300 percent of the daily value for vitamin B12.
Hyphy Blend, 3.8 g
- Beta-alanine: A naturally-occurring beta amino acid which helps buffer muscle carnosine levels for increased work capacity and greater resistance against fatigue.
- L-citrulline dl malate 2:1: A combination of the non-essential amino acid l-citrulline and malic acid for increased muscle pumps and energy levels, improved nutrient uptake and blood flow, and healthier blood pressure levels.
- Taurine: A versatile amino acid which helps keep oxidative stress at bay, boost fat loss, improve insulin sensitivity, sleep quality, and heart health; increase testosterone levels, shorten recovery time, and enhance cognitive function.
- Caffeine anhydrous: The pure, powdered form of caffeine which helps increase energy levels and fat loss, regulate blood sugar levels, improve physical performance and liver health, and ward off free radicals. Bear in mind too much caffeine may also produce a spike-crash effect, jitters, nervousness, and sleeplessness in some individuals.
- N-acetyl l-tyrosine: The bioavailable form of the amino acid l-tyrosine, which is a precursor to the neurotransmitters adrenaline, dopamine, and norepinephrine for increased mental and physical energy.
- Agmatine sulfate: A derivative of l-arginine which helps increase muscle pumps, energy levels, and focus. Agmatine sulfate also has no serious side effects.
- Mucuna pruriens (98 percent l-dopa) velvet bean extract (Mucuna pruriens): Velvet bean extract acts as a precursor to the neurotransmitter dopamine for increased HGH and testosterone levels, improved mood, and improved sleep quality.
- Yohimbe bark extract (standard minimum eight percent yohimbine hydrochloride): An African tree which helps increase power, endurance, vasodilation, fat loss, and strength. However, some studies suggest it doesn’t make much of an impact on athletic performance. Plus, it has certain side effects (anxiety, stomach and cardiovascular issues, etc.). Please consult your doctor if you’re doubtful about any bodybuilding supplement ingredient.
- Rosemary leaf extract 10:1 (Rosmarinum officinalis): An herb which helps keep migraines at bay, increase blood flow, boost gut function, memory, and immunity; keep stress levels, and bacterial activity in check.
- Higenamine hydrochloride: A Chinese herb which helps improve cardiovascular and respiratory function, increase fat loss, and ramp up energy levels.
- Rauwolfia vomitoria extract (standard minimum 90 percent alpha yohimbine) (root bark): An African plant which helps regulate blood pressure levels, improve blood flow, increase muscle pumps and fat loss, and enhance mood.
We stand pat on our claim: the so-called “World’s Best Pre-Workout Energy” is unique in every sense of the word. We’ve never seen a pre-workout supplement with this kind of ingredient combination. Will it work? Absolutely.
You can’t go wrong with time-tested bodybuilding supplement ingredients such as beta-alanine and l-citrulline dl malate 2:1. These will increase your work capacity, resistance against fatigue, muscle pumps, and blood flow. We’re sure glad they’re in Kali Muscle Hyphy Mud 2.0 Extreme.
While n-acetyl l-tyrosine has some naysayers, it’s been gaining some serious traction in pre-workouts, like we said. We’re sure it’ll help perk you up physically and mentally in one way or another.
Some detractors also doubt taurine’s potential as a pre-workout supplement ingredient (because it acts as an inhibitory neurotransmitter), but its pros (increased fat loss, improved insulin sensitivity and heart health, increased testosterone levels, etc.) far outweigh the cons. Besides, Kali Muscle Hyphy Mud 2.0 Extreme’s caffeine anhydrous content should offset taurine’s possible sedative effect.
If you were expecting other pre-workout components such as creatine, betaine, and BCAAs, you won’t find them here. Instead, you’ll find non-traditional pre-workout ingredients such as agmatine sulfate, velvet bean extract, rosemary leaf extract, higenamine hydrochloride, and Rauwolfia vomitoria extract.
Their combined benefits include increased HGH, fat loss, and testosterone levels, improved blood flow and gut function, lower stress levels, better cardiovascular function, enhanced mood, and healthier blood pressure levels, Judging by customers’ feedback for Kali Muscle Hyphy Mud 2.0 Extreme, we’re sure you’ll reap these benefits.
We also love this pre-workout’s B vitamin arsenal (vitamin B3, vitamin B6, and vitamin B12). In a nutshell, these vitamins help shore up heart health and ramp up energy levels – two crucial pre-workout benefits. Long story short, Kali Muscle Hyphy Mud 2.0 Extreme is a hybrid pre-workout/energy booster supplement. We give that attribute a thumbs up.
For the most part, customers have given this pre-workout supplement good ratings online. They say it’s powerful (some consumers say it keeps them wired for hours). We believe them. This product should jack you up for your workouts.
On the flip side, Kali Muscle Hyphy Mud 2.0 Extreme has a few glaring flaws. The most obvious is its bad transparency – the manufacturer doesn’t break down the individual components of this supplement’s Hyphy Blend. The downside: you don’t know how much of each ingredient you’re putting in your body. That’s bad news.
This pre-workout may also produce a few side effects. The main culprits include beta-alanine (beta-alanine tingling), vitamin B3 (niacin flush), caffeine anydrous (spike-crash effect, jitters, nervousness, sleeplessness), and yohimbe bark extract (rapid heartbeat, blood pressure issues, anxiety, etc.). Make sure to consult your physician before consuming this product.
Kali Muscle Hyphy Mud 2.0 Extreme also has a few fillers (sucralose, FD&C Yellow No. 5, and FD&C Red No. 40). The manufacturer could’ve used natural alternatives such as stevia (which helps regulate blood pressure and blood sugar levels).
The final downside is the taste: in our opinion, it’s average at best. Some customers also say the same thing.
The manufacturer claims Kali Muscle Hyphy Mud 2.0 Extreme “makes you dangerous,” per its official website. We say it can go both ways. For one, it’ll give you a unique jolt for your training sessions. On the other hand, it has some key ingredients and fillers which are dangerous. This pre-workout is a bona fide two-faced product: it should work, but take at your own risk.
Kali Muscle Hyphy Mud 2.0 Extreme Benefits
“This scientifically-formulated, cutting-edge pre-workout energy drink is designed to enhance mental focus, drive aggression, and leave the rest of the gym envying your energy and intensity,” per the product’s official website.
Who Takes It?
The manufacturer intended Kali Muscle Hyphy Mud 2.0 Extreme for healthy and active individuals who want to increase energy levels, endurance, and focus; boost fat loss, and achieve their daily fitness goals.
Any Side Effects?
Kali Muscle Hyphy Mud 2.0 Extreme contains ingredients which may produce certain side effects: vitamin B3 (niacin flush), beta-alanine (beta-alanine itch), caffeine anhydrous (spike-crash effect, jitters, nervousness, and sleeplessness), yohimbe bark extract (blood pressure issues, anxiety, and rapid heartbeat), sucralose (obesity), and FD&C Yellow No. 5 and FD&C Red No. 40 (carcinogenicity, allergies, asthma, etc.).
If these, or any other ingredient, make you feel doubtful, please consult your physician before buying Kali Muscle Hyphy Mud 2.0 Extreme.
Kali Muscle Hyphy Mud 2.0 Extreme Review Summary
- Powerful formulation. This ingredient combo will perk you up and keep you wired.
- Time-tested bodybuilding ingredients. Features beta-alanine and l-cirulline dl malate.
- Unique components. Agmatine sulfate, velvet bean extract, rosemary leaf extract, higenamine hydrochloride, Rauwolfia vomitoria extract, etc.
- Impressive B vitamin arsenal. Contains vitamin B3, vitamin B6, and vitamin B12 for improved heart health and increased energy levels.
- Good reputation. Customers have given this product good reviews online.
- Flavor options. Comes in Orange Pina Colada, Tropical Fruit, and Watermelon Kiwi flavors.
- Bad transparency. Manufacturer doesn’t break down individual ingredients of Hyphy Blend.
- Fillers. Contains sucralose and artificial food colorings (FD&C Red No. 40 and FD&C Yellow No. 5).
- Side effects. Vitamin B3, beta-alanine, yohimbe bark extract, caffeine anhydrous, sucralose, and artificial food coloring components may produce certain side effects.
- Taste. Average at best.
Pricing & Where to Buy
- 1 144-gram Container (30-Day Supply): $29.99
- Available online and in retail
Final Word on Kali Muscle Hyphy Mud 2.0 Extreme
Yes, Kali Muscle Hyphy Mud 2.0 Extreme will make you dangerous for your workouts. However, this is a two-faced supplement: its fillers are also potentially dangerous. Make no mistake about it, though: this is one powerful and unique yet flawed pre-workout supplement.
As great as it looks on paper, we recommend you pass up on this one. Fillers, bad transparency, side effects, and average taste won’t make it a worthwhile investment. Make solid pre-workouts such as 4 Gauge and ALTIUS by Jacked Factory a part of your supplement stack instead.