How about trying a clinically-dosed pre-workout supplement which is sure to give you great muscle pumps?
Sounds too good to be true, doesn’t it?
Enter GNC BEYOND RAW LIT, a pre-workout which defies the norm.
We hope that’s enough to whet your appetite for another exciting review.
About GNC BEYOND RAW LIT
GNC BEYOND RAW LIT is “a concentrated, fully-dosed powerful combination of clinically-studied ingredients coming together in an objectively superior formula, designed to support consistently better workouts,” per its official website. Formula notes:
- Clinically-dosed ingredients. Has the same amounts used in clinical studies.
- Pump & N.O. Support Blend. L-citrulline and Nitrosigine for increased nitric oxide levels.
- Fillers. Has sucralose, FD&C Red No. 40, and potassium sorbate.
GNC BEYOND RAW LIT Supplement Facts (Fruit Punch, 14.56 oz.)
|Serving Size: 1 Scoop
Servings Per Container: 30
|Nutrient||Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value|
|Total Carbohydrates||3 g||1%|
|Energy & Mental Intensity||5.2 g|
|CarnoSyn® Beta Alanine||3.2 g||**|
|Micronized Creatine (as Creatine Monohydrate)||1.5 g||**|
|Caffeine Anhydrous||250 mg||**|
|elevATP® (Ancient Peat & Apple Extract)||150 mg||**|
|NeuroFactor™ Coffee Fruit Extract||100 mg||**|
|Pump & N.O. Support||4.5 g|
|Nitrosigine® (Arginine Silicate Inositol)||1.5 g||**|
|OTHER INGREDIENTS: Natural & Artificial Flavors, Citric Acid, Malic Acid, Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium, Soy Oil and Lecithin Blend, Calcium Silicate, FD&C Red # 40, Shellac, Hydroxypropyl, Methylcellulose, Sorbitol, Glycerin, Acetylate Monoglycerides, Polysorbate 80, Potassium Sorbate, Magnesium Silicate Hydroxide|
|DIRECTIONS: As a dietary supplement, mix one scoop in 8 fl. oz. of cold water and consume pre-workout. On non-training days, consume one serving for additional energy and focus. * Consume ample amounts of water while taking this product.|
The Clinically-Dosed Pre-Workout
If you’ve been into bodybuilding supplements for quite some time, you may want to try clinically-dosed products.
The term “clinically-dosed” refers to the dose of a supplement is the same used in a scientific study.
Simply put, if a supplement contains lower doses of certain ingredients, it won’t be as efficient.
Now, if a supplement overdoses a particular ingredient, it may take a toll on your health.
You wouldn’t want that, would you?
We say clinically-dosed supplements set the bar high – when they use scientific studies as basis, more consumers will swear by them.
Its clinical doses are just one of the reasons why we gave it a good grade. We weren’t surprised one bit why customers are singing its praises.
On that note, if would be interesting to see if GNC BEYOND RAW LIT can exceed our expectations.
This pre-workout supplement is “a concentrated, fully-dosed powerful combination of clinically-studied ingredients coming together in an objectively superior formula, designed to support consistently better workouts,” per GNC’s official website.
GNC BEYOND RAW LIT’s “sole purpose is to target extreme energy, mental alertness, and nitric oxide production to maximize subjects’ ability to manifest the results over which they obsess,” per the same source.
This description sounds too good to be true, folks.
Whenever you combine “clinically-studied ingredients,” “better workouts,” “extreme energy,” “mental alertness,” and “nitric oxide production” in a pre-workout supplement description, it should resonate well with consumers.
Our first impression: GNC BEYOND RAW LIT combines traditional and non-traditional clinically-dosed ingredients for the ultimate pre-workout experience.
Each 13.76-gram scoop should give you a kick like no other.
GNC BEYOND RAW LIT’s first ingredient group is its Energy & Mental Intensity blend which takes up 5.2 grams per serving.
First up is 3.2 grams of CarnoSyn beta-alanine per scoop, the biggest ingredient of GNC BEYOND RAW LIT.
Here’s what you need to know, folks: many (and we mean many) pre-workouts use l-citrulline malate as their No. 1 ingredient.
Not this one.
The manufacturer goes against this trend. Instead, it believes a clinical dose of beta-alanine should be the primary ingredient.
For your reference, check out how GNC BEYOND RAW LIT’s two primary ingredients stack up against those of other leading pre-workouts:
|ALTIUS||4 Gauge||BUCKED UP||GNC BEYOND RAW LIT|
|Primary Ingredient||Citrulline malate, 8,000 mg||L-citrulline Dl-malate, 6,000 mg||Citrulline malate 2:1, 6,000 mg||CarnoSyne Beta-Alanine, 3.2 g|
|Secondary Ingredient||Beta-alanine, 3,200 mg||Creatine monohydrate, 1,000 mg||Beta-alanine, 2,000 mg||L-citrulline, 3 g|
Clearly, other pre-workouts emphasize improved blood flow and nutrient uptake (the main benefits of l-citrulline malate), GNC BEYOND RAW LIT places a premium on greater muscle buffering capacity (the muscles’ ability to offset the buildup of acid which results in fatigue).
Beta-alanine helps synthesize a compound known as carnosine. The latter helps improve muscle buffering capacity effect we mentioned.
Long story short, beta-alanine helps one achieve “greater physical working capacity, enhanced endurance, and delayed fatigue,” per CarnoSyn’s official website.
These capture the essence of a top-notch pre-workout supplement perfectly.
Beta-alanine can do these for you and then some. We’re not surprised why GNC chose to put its trust in this amino acid.
So, if greater muscle buffering capacity and endurance are your main pre-workout concerns, this product is for you.
Next up are 1.5 grams of micronized creatine (as creatine monohydrate) per serving.
Here, you’re talking about another staple pre-workout ingredient.
Creatine helps ramp up energy production in muscle tissues during a grueling workout.
Creatine’s benefits don’t stop there. Here are the other things it can do for your health:
- Supports muscle function
- Improves exercise (anaerobic and aerobic) performance
- Increases muscle mass
- Boost neurological health
- May regulate blood sugar levels
Listen, folks: 1.5 grams of creatine monohydrate (the best kind on the market) per scoop is right on the industry average for pre-workouts.
We believe that much will make a difference.
GNC BEYOND RAW LIT also has 250 milligrams of caffeine anhydrous per serving.
If you’re a caffeine and adrenaline junkie, you can jump for joy.
Just to give you an idea, this pre-workout’s caffeine content is equal to two cups of coffee or so.
With that in mind, check out caffeine’s benefits:
- Increases energy levels and adrenaline
- Helps improve exercise performance
- Increases fatigue tolerance
- Ramps up alertness and enhances mood
- Enhances reaction time
There’s no denying 250 milligrams of caffeine per serving can do all of these for you.
The catch: caffeine may cause a spike-crash effect and jitters in some individuals.
There’s no denying these, either.
So, if you’re sensitive to caffeine, better skip GNC BEYOND RAW LIT.
This pre-workout also has 150 milligrams of elevATP (ancient peat and apple extract) per serving.
Now, this is an ingredient which most pre-workout supplements miss out on.
According to the manufacturer’s official website, ancient peat and apple extract helps “support cellular energy production (ATP).”
If you think about it, this ingredient is the perfect complement to GNC BEYOND RAW LIT’s creatine monohydrate component.
In fact, we’re confident this combo will help you shatter your personal bests in quick-burst activities such as strength training and sprinting.
GNC BEYOND RAW LIT’s 100 milligrams of NueroFactor (Coffea arabica)(fruit) per serving should also make a difference.
This rare pre-workout ingredient acts as a nootropic (brain booster) because of its ability to simulate levels of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF).
In other words, NeuroFactor helps boost your cognitive abilities for better focus during your toughest workouts.
We like that.
We think it’s a great inclusion in GNC BEYOND RAW LIT. Before you know it, other pre-workout manufacturers will follow suit.
This pre-workout’s second ingredient group is its Pump & N.O. Support which takes up 4.5 grams per serving.
Here’s what you’ve been waiting for: three grams of l-citrulline per scoop.
This organic compound is a potent nitric oxide precursor. Once your nitric oxide levels increase, expect improved blood flow, increased muscle pumps, and better nutrient uptake and blood pressure levels.
While GNC BEYOND RAW LIT’s three grams of l-citrulline malate per serving is not the most among pre-workouts, it will still go a long way.
Finally, this pre-workout supplement has 1.5 grams of Nitrosigine (arginine silicate inositol) per scoop.
We have stumbled upon another unheralded pre-workout supplement ingredient, folks.
“Nitrosigine plays a critical role in boosting key factors for increasing blood flow during exercise,” per its official website.
Think about that for a moment.
GNC BEYOND RAW LIT’s Nitrosigine and citrulline tandem should help increase blood flow for more insane muscle pumps.
Let’s rattle off Nitrosigine’s other benefits, per its official website:
- Helps ramp up silicon blood levels
- Bonded arginine silicate component helps increase nitric oxide levels
- Helps increase arginine levels in as little as 30 minutes
- Improves blood vessel flexibility
- Supports blood protein levels for better heart health
As you can see, Nirosigine is also an l-arginine precursor.
Just so you know, l-arginine is another potent nitric oxide booster (some experts believe l-arginine’s solubility is not up to the task, though).
The takeaway: GNC BEYOND RAW LIT’s Pump & N.O. Support blend is as unique as it is impressive.
While we’re impressed with this pre-workout’s key ingredients, we weren’t so pleased to see fillers such as FD&C Red No. 40 in its “Other Ingredients” list.
Still, GNC BEYOND RAW LIT should give you a good return on your investment.
Let’s check out the formula ingredients:
- Calories, 10: We’re certain GNC BEYOND RAW LIT’s 10 calories per serving (Fruit Punch flavor) won’t compromise your nutrition goals in any way.
- Total carbohydrates, 3 g: Neither will its three grams of carbohydrates per scoop – this much represents a measly one percent of the daily value for this macronutrient (anything less than five percent is low).
- Sugars, 0 g: GNC BEYOND RAW LIT’s zero grams of sugar per serving sounds too good to be true, doesn’t it? It does, but it loses its appeal when you find out this product has sucralose, an artificial sweetener which experts have linked to several side effects. This supplement also has sorbitol, a sugar alcohol which also has certain side effects. Not good.
- Sodium, 15 mg: The good news: GNC BEYOND RAW LIT’s low sodium content (one percent of the daily value) won’t compromise your blood pressure levels. The bad news: this much might not be enough to prevent muscle cramping and improve hydration. Pick your poison, folks.
- Potassium, 100 mg: GNC BEYOND RAW LIT is not a significant source of potassium at just three percent of the daily value.
- CarnoSyn Beta-Alanine, 3.2 g: GNC BEYOND RAW LIT’s main ingredient which helps ramp up muscle buffering capacity for greater resistance against fatigue. To sum things up, beta-alanine will help you work out harder and longer. Awesome.
- Micronized creatine (as creatine monohydrate), 1.5 g: Time-tested pre-workout ingredient which helps increase energy production and muscle mass, regulate blood sugar levels, and boost brain health.
- Caffeine anhydrous, 250 mg: Like we said, this much represents roughly two cups of Joe. With that in mind, we’re sure 250 milligrams of caffeine per serving will help increase alertness and improve exercise performance.
- elevATP (ancient peat & apple extract), 150 mg: A rare pre-workout ingredient which helps increase cellular energy production, making it the perfect complement to GNC BEYOND RAW LIT’s creatine monohydrate component.
- NeuroFactor coffee fruit extract, 100 mg: A nootropic which helps enhance cognitive function for increased focus and alertness for your workouts. We think this is a great inclusion.
- L-citrulline, 3 g: Serves as a primary ingredient in many pre-workouts because of its ability to increase nitric oxide production for increased muscle pumps, better blood flow, improved nutrient uptake, and healthier blood pressure levels. Some experts believe it’s a better option than l-arginine.
- Nitrosigine (arginine silicate inositol), 1.5 g: An l-arginine precursor which helps increase blood flow and muscle pumps and improve heart health.
The manufacturer claims GNC BEYOND RAW LIT is a superior combination of clinically-dosed ingredients which can help take your workouts to the next level.
After a thorough analysis, we say that claim is legit.
GNC managed to put together a potent combination of traditional and rare pre-workout ingredients which will help you increase your energy levels, boost alertness, and ramp up nitric oxide levels.
While most pre-workouts tilt the balance heavily in favor of l-citrulline or l-citrulline Dl-malate, this product evens things out.
More specifically, we’re talking about a 3.2-gram serving of CarnoSyn beta-alanine and three-gram serving of l-citrulline.
We’re also talking about more or less equal emphasis on increased exercise endurance and improved blood flow.
That tells you the folks at GNC place both benefits on the same pedestal.
We think that’s awesome.
Of course, we love the inclusions of creatine monohydrate and the unheralded elevATP (ancient peat and apple extract) for increased cellular energy production.
Combine those with 3.2 grams of CarnoSyn per serving – BAM. Expect to work out longer and harder. No question about it.
The inclusion of 100 milligrams of NeuroFactor (Coffee arabica)(fruit) was a great finishing touch to the Energy & Mental Intensity blend – it will help boost your cognitive function and focus, for sure.
The Pump & N.O. Support blend is no slouch, either – three grams of l-citrulline and 1.5 grams of Nitrosigine per serving will improve your blood flow, stabilize your blood pressure levels, and give you great muscle pumps.
All in all, GNC BEYOND RAW LIT’s key ingredients are amazing.
We also love the manufacturer’s transparency – it divulges all of the ingredient amounts and doesn’t resort to shady proprietary blends.
The product also has a sterling reputation among consumers – they have given it high marks online.
Not only that, but they also rave about GNC BEYOND RAW LIT’s taste. They say it’s amazing (particularly the Gummy Worm flavor).
Now, for the chinks.
We start with the caffeine anhydrous content (250 milligrams per serving). While this much is a sure bet to get your adrenaline flowing, it may also cause a spike-crash effect and jitters, like we said.
As with any pre-workout with beta-alanine, GNC BEYOND RAW LIT may cause the so-called “beta-alanine itch” (a tingling sensation underneath the skin).
Don’t worry, folks: experts say this is just a harmless sensation caused by stimulation of nerve endings.
We also saw several questionable ingredients (Sucralose, FD&C Red No. 40, and potassium sorbate) with reported side effects.
Finally, GNC BEYOND RAW LIT doesn’t come cheap: one 412-gram container costs $39.99, per its official website.
GNC BEYOND RAW LIT Benefits
GNC BEYOND RAW LIT has the following benefits, per its official website:
- Contains fast-acting ingredients
- Increases mental alertness
- Increases muscle pumps and supports vasodilation
We agree with all of these claims. GNC BEYOND RAW LIT contains ingredients which delivers on these promises and then some.
Who Takes It?
GNC BEYOND RAW LIT is intended for healthy and active individuals who are at least 18 years of age who want to increase energy levels and muscle pumps, boost focus, improve blood flow, ramp up muscle mass, and achieve their daily fitness goals.
Any Side Effects?
GNC BEYOND RAW LIT contains caffeine anhydrous, an ingredient which may cause a spike-crash effect and jitters in some individuals.
This pre-workout supplement also has CarnoSyn (beta-alanine), an ingredient which may produce the so-called “beta-alanine itch” after consumption.
Finally, GNC BEYOND RAW LIT has several ingredients (sucralose, FD&C Red No. 40, and potassium sorbate) which have reported side effects.
The manufacturer also issues a warning:
GNC BEYOND RAW LIT Summary
- Unique ingredient combo. Harnesses the powers of non-traditional and rare pre-workout ingredients.
- Clinically-dosed ingredients. Uses same ingredients used in clinical studies.
- 3.2 grams of CarnoSyn per serving. Ramps up muscle buffering capacity for increased exercise endurance.
- Has creatine monohydrate. Helps increase exercise performance and muscle mass.
- elevATP component. Great complement to creatine in terms of increasing cellular energy production.
- Has NueroFactor. Nootropic which helps enhance cognitive function and increase alertness.
- Pump & N.O. Support blend. L-citrulline and Nitrosigine components are sure bets to increase muscle pumps.
- Low in calories, carbs, sugars, and sodium. All good.
- Great transparency. No shady proprietary blends. Awesome.
- Excellent reputation. Customers swear by it.
- Great taste. Consumers single out Gummy Worm as the best among the six flavors.
- Caffeine content. While caffeine has great benefits, it’s still a double-edged sword.
- Fillers. Contains sucralose (Splenda), FD&C Red No. 40, and potassium sorbate. Boo.
- Expensive. One 412-gram container costs $39.99.
Pricing & Buying Info
- 1 412-gram Container (30-Day Supply): $39.99
- Available online and in retail
Final Word on GNC BEYOND RAW LIT
After the demise of the promising GNC BEYOND RAW RAVAGE, its predecessor, GNC BEYOND RAW LIT, tries to make a statement.
Like we said, the latter’s key ingredients are as rare as they are impressive.
We’re sure they’ll improve your workout quality.
GNC BEYOND RAW LIT has more pros than cons, with the caffeine content, fillers, and premium price pulling its value down.
However, this pre-workout is still worth trying (and maybe buying).
In any case, if it doesn’t work out for you, there are heaps of cleaner pre-workout supplements on the market.