What could be the most comprehensive post-workout supplement on the market?
Universal Nutrition Torrent could be the one.
If the protein, carb, leucine, amino acid, and creatine content don’t help you achieve your post-workout goals, nothing will.
Another exciting review is in the offing.
About Universal Nutrition Torrent
The manufacturer dubs Universal Nutrition Torrent as its “Post-Workout Anabolic Muscle Mass Activator,” per its official website. Formula notes:
- Twenty grams of protein per serving. Has partially hydrolyzed whey protein concentrate.
- High in leucine and amino acids. Helps increase muscle size.
- Special carb complex. Complements the protein content.
Universal Nutrition Torrent Supplement Facts (Cherry Berry Blast, 6.1 lbs.)
|Serving Size 3 Scoops (∼99 g)|
Servings Per Container 28
|Nutrient||Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value|
|Calories From Fat||14|
|Total Fat||1.5 g||9%*|
|Saturated Fat||1 g||6%*|
|Total Carbohydrate||52 g||17%*|
|Torrent Proprietary Blend 18000 mg|
|Anti-Catabolic Leucine Complex||8,000 mg|
|Leucine Alpha Ketoglutarate (AKG)|
|Leucine Ethyl Ester|
|Volubolic Amino Blend||7,000 mg|
|Creabolic Complex||3,000 mg|
|Creatine MagnaPower® (magnesium creatine chelate)|
|Ingredients: Osmosulin Complex™ (D-Glucose, Waxy Maize, Maltodextrin), Partially Hydrolyzed Whey Protein Concentrate (Milk), (Di-Peptides, Tri-, Oligo-, Poly-Peptides), Malic Acid, Creatine Monohydrate, Natural And Artificial Flavor, Citric Acid, Lecithin (Soy), Sodium Chloride, Red #40 Lake, Di-Magnesium Phosphate, Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium, Potassium Phosphate, FD&C Blue #1.|
|Directions For Torrent: For use as a dietary supplement, take one serving of Torrent within 30 minutes of your workout. Mix 3 heaping scoops along with 20 oz. of cold liquid. For best results consume after each training session.|
Make Way for the Post-Workout Anabolic Muscle Mass Activator
Universal Nutrition is one of the recognized brands in the supplement industry.
The manufacturer also has a potent protein powder in Ultra Whey Pro.
How about giving its post-workout, Universal Nutrition Torrent, a shot?
Right off the bat, we think it’s one of the catchiest names for a post-workout supplement. Seriously.
The company dubs Universal Nutrition Torrent as its “Post-Workout Anabolic Muscle Mass Activator,” per its official website.
The manufacturer realizes the post-workout window is the most crucial time to get your nutrients in.
The folks at Universal Nutrition are correct when they pointed out that your muscles are damaged and your glycogen stores are depleted after a hard training session.
In other words, it’s the dreaded catabolic (muscle breakdown) state – the so-called “state of red alert” for the bodybuilder, per Universal Nutrition.
With that, this product’s formula “is designed to mazimize the ‘anabolic window of opportunity’ that exists after a hard training session,” per the company’s website.
This is where Universal Nutrition Torrent comes into play.
Universal Nutrition’s biggest selling point (or turn-off, whichever way you see it) is its 18-gram Torrent Proprietary Blend.
This blend is responsible for transforming “the state of red alert” into “green light status,” per the manufacturer.
It’s composed of an Anti-Catabolic Leucine Complex (eight grams), a Volubolic Amino Blend (seven grams), and Creabolic Complex (three grams).
You can see for yourself the Torrent Proprietary Blend aims to kickstart the muscle protein synthesis process, increase and preserve muscle mass, reduce cortisol (stress hormone) levels.
We like that, but it’s still a proprietary blend. Why put up a front? Why disguise the amount of the nutrients which your consumers have every right to know about?
It doesn’t make sense.
On the other hand, Universal Nutrition Torrent also has 20 grams of protein per serving from partially hydrolyzed whey protein concentrate (WPC). That alone gives Universal Nutrition Torrent an edge over some post-workout supplements which have no protein to speak of.
The amount of protein is decent, but it’ll take you three scoops to reach that amount. Nonetheless, the inclusion of WPC ensures your muscles get enough amino acids as soon as your workout ends.
Universal Nutrition Torrent’s whey protein concentrate content is partially hydrolyzed, which means it underwent a bit of processing to reduce the protein size.
That way, your muscles will get the replenishment they need in the shortest amount of time.
Now that you’ve gotten your much-needed protein fix, you need to get some post-workout carbs to complement the recovery process.
Universal Nutrition Torrent has an Osmosulin Matrix of carbohydrates which “allows for quick glycogen replenishment and the fastest possible absorption of muscle-nourishing nutrients,” per the company’s official website.
This matrix is comprised of waxy maize starch, maltodextrin, and sugars (the latter two dervied from dextrose).
The Osmosulin Matrix “allows for a dramatic boost of anabolic insulin via simple sugars coupled with the nutrient drawing effects of ‘high molecular weight’ carbohydrates,” per Universal Nutrition’s official website.
For our part, it’s hard to argue with that claim. Sounds pretty good to us.
Now, let’s check out the formula ingredients.
- Total fat, 1.5 g: Each serving of Universal Nutrition has nine percent of the daily value (DV) for fats, which is a tad bit high (anything more than five percent is considered excessive). Saturated fats are also a bit high at six percent of the daily value.
- Total carbohydrate, 52 g: We attribute the carb content of this product to its Osmosulin Matrix which is composed of waxy maize starch, maltodextrin, and sugars. The first two are post-workout carbs which are geared toward maximum recovery. At 27 grams per serving, the sugar content is high – it may offset the lean muscle-building process.
- Protein, 20 g: Universal Nutrition Torrent has 20 grams of partially hydrolyzed whey protein concentrate per serving. We feel it will complement the amino acid and creatine content beautfully for more post-workout muscle growth.
- Calcium, 112 mg: Here’s a pleasant surprise, folks: This product supplies your body with 11 percent of the daily value for calcium, a mineral which helps take care of your teeth, bones, and blood pressure levels. Awesome.
- Sodium, 127 mg: At five percent of the daily value for sodium, Universal Nutrition Torrent is safe for consumption even for those who are monitoring their sodium intake. This mineral helps prevent muscle cramping after a vigorous workout.
- Potassium, 192 mg: This product’s potassium levels are slightly high at six percent of the daily value. Nothing over the top, though. Potassium helps regulate blood pressure and water levels in your body.
Torrent Proprietary Blend, 18,000 mg
A. Anti-Catabolic Leucine Complex, 8,000 mg
- L-leucine: It’s a must for post-workout supplements to have more l-leucine, the branch-chained amino acid (BCAA) primarily responsible for kickstarting the muscle protein synthesis process. Unfortunately, we don’t know the exact amount the manufacturer put in, but we feel it will suffice.
- Leucine Alpha Ketoglutarate (AKG): This is a form of leucine attached to ketoglutaric acid to boost the muscle protein synthesis process.
- Leucine Ethyl Ester: This is an esterified form of leucine which experts believe will increase its bioavailability.
- N-Acetyl Leucine: According to the Food and Drug Administration, N-acetyl leucine “is used to treat a certain type of dizziness” known as acute vestibular vertigo. We’re left wondering why it’s in Universal Nutrition Torrent in the first place.
B. Volubolic Amino Blend, 7,000 mg
- Taurine: This amino acid’s job is to reduce the amount of cortisol (a.k.a. the dreaded stress hormone) in your system. The lower it is, the higher your chances are of muscling up. We think its inclusion in Universal Nutrition Torrent is awesome.
- Glutamine Alpha-Ketoglutarate: Okay, don’t get caught up in the fancy name, folks. This is simply an advanced form of glutamine which amps up its muscle-perserving and human-growth-hormone-increasing effects.
- L-Phenylalanine Citrulline Malate: This amino acid compound is meant to delay the onset of fatigue, which means it’s better off as a pre-workout ingredient.
C. Creabolic Complex, 3,000 mg
- Creapure: This is a creatine monohydrate brand manufactured in Germany. Creatine – one of the most-researched supplements on the market- will help you increase muscle size, strength, and athleteic performance.
- Creatine MagnaPower (magnesium creatine chelate): Take a hint from the name, folks: It’s a combination of magnesium and creatine. One key benefit of magnesium is its ability to prevent muscle spasms.
- Creatine Gluconate: A form of creatine combined with glucose. When you put together creatine with a fast-acting carb, your body will absorb it faster than usual for immediate results.
There are a lot of things going on in Universal Nutrition Torrent. Whew.
We like the fact it has 20 grams of partially hydrolyzed whey protein concentrate (WPC) per serving. This much protein will complement the creatine, glutamine, and leucine components for more muscle mass.
Plus, you don’t have to purchase a separate protein supplement. You get an awesome two-in-one deal.
For its part, the Osmosulin Matrix composed of post-workout carbs waxy maize and maltodextin will complete the crucial protein-carb intake you need after a grueling gym session.
Like we pointed out, this product’s selling point is its 18-gram Torrent Proprietary Blend composed of eight grams of Anti-Catabolic Leucine Complex, seven grams of Volubolic Amino Blend, and three grams of Creabolic Complex.
The manufacturer puts a premium on l-leucine, the BCAA which helps kickstart the protein synthesis process.
Second priority in the proprietary blend goes to taurine, glutamine, and citrulline malate (which we feel is a pre-workout ingredient).
Finally, creatine and its components are at the bottom rung of the Torrent Proprietary Blend ladder.
Our take: These ingredients will help boost your post-workout results and increase muscle mass in conjunction with regular exercise, sound nutrition, and enough rest.
The downside: It’s a proprietary blend composed of three smaller proprietary blends.
It’s like adding insult to injury, honestly. Please don’t leave your consumers guessing.
The other issues of Universal Nutrition Torrent are its high sugar content (27 grams per serving) and the inclusion of possible dirty ingredients (artificial food colorings such as Red #40 Lake), which have received scrutiny from fitness experts.
In fact, The National Toxicity Program of the Department of Health and Human Services classified FD&C Red # 40 as “a human carcinogen.”
Universal Nutrition Torrent Benefits
Universal Nutrition Torrent has the following benefits, per its official website:
- Helps accelerate lean, post-workout muscle mass growth
- Loaded with hydrolyzed whey protein and free-form amino acids
- Advanced creatine formula
- Increased leucine content to trigger anabolic growth response
- Special carb complex which helps increase insulin, shuttle nutrients, and replace depleted glycogen stores
We agree with all of the manufacturer’s claims. Universal Nutrition Torrent will help you achieve your post-workout goals in more ways than one.
Who Takes It?
Universal Nutrition Torrent is intended for healthy and active individuals who want to increase lean muscle mass, boost their post-workout results, and achieve their individual fitness goals.
Any Side Effects?
Universal Nutrition Torrent has no glaring side effects. However, those who are monitiring their sugar intake should consult with their doctor before purchasing as it has a high sugar level (27 grams per serving).
Those who are allergic to milk and soy products should steer clear of Universal Nutrition Torrent.
Universal Nutrition Torrent Summary
- Twenty grams of protein per serving. Partially hydrolyzed whey protein concentrate, to be more precise.
- Special carb complex. Helps shuttle nutrients and replace depleted glycogen stores.
- Increased leucine and amino acid content. Helps increase muscle growth.
- Advanced creatine formula. Comprised of Creapure, Creatine MagnaPower, and creatine gluconate.
- Torrent Proprietary Blend. Manufacturer does not disclose amount of individual ingredients.
- Possible inclusion of dirty ingredients. Artificial food colorings, in particular.
- High in sugar. Twenty-seven grams per serving.
Pricing & Buying Info
- 1 3.28-lb. container (15-Day Supply): $63.75
- 1 6.1-lb. container (28-Day Supply): $99.95
- Available online and in retail
Final Word on Universal Nutrition Torrent
Like we said, there are a lot of things going on in Universal Nutrition Torrent.
However, for the most part, it’s all good – the protein, carbs, creatine, glutamine, taurine, amino acids work in harmony to help you achieve your post-workout goals.
It’s just unfortunate the manufacturer had to resort to a proprietary blend as a marketing tactic.
It’s not the best post-workout product on the market, but it should give you good results.