Once you feel your mental clarity start to go after you’ve managed past 40, it’s easy to just throw in the towel and rejoice in what feels like the inevitable fogginess. In this review, we talk about a nootropic stack that’s designed to help.
If you don’t like forgetting the name of that new acquaintance (even if they’re not that interesting) and wish you could remember how many apples you need at the store, Provasil might just be the nootropic for you. With a formula filled with well-researched and scientifically backed ingredients, Provasil promises to pack a punch and pick you up out of those pesky cognitive pitfalls.
Our question for Provasil is: does it deliver? We’re here to shed some light on whether Provasil lives up to its own hype.
Provasil (not to be confused with Provigil, which is a drug) is manufactured by Cognetix Labs who tout it as a supplement that will save you from age-related mental decline. We’re here to let you know how that may or may not be the case. Formula notes:
- Tried and true Nootropics. The formula includes some celebrated and well-known ingredients.
- Transparent label. You know exactly what you’re getting into when you take Provasil because the dose of every ingredient is shown.
- Low dose amounts. The doses of many ingredients fall short of the recommended daily target for brain performance.
Provasil Supplement Facts
|Serving Size: 2 tablets|
Servings Per Container: 30
|Ingredients||Amount Per Serving (% DV)|
|Vitamin C (ascorbic acid)||300 mg (500%)|
|Folic Acid||600 mcg (150%)|
|Vitamin B12 (cyanocoblamin)||300 mcg (5000%)|
|Biotin||150 mcg (50%)|
|Choline Bitartrate||150 mg|
|Bacopa (whole herb)||100 mg|
|Ginkgo (leaf)||60 mg|
|Asian Ginseng (Panax ginseng, root)||30 mg|
|Resveratrol (as polygonum cupidatum (root) extract)||25 mg|
|Docosahexaenoic (DHA)||5 mg|
|Other Ingredients: Di Calcium Phospate, Stearic Acid, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Croslose Sodium, Magnesium Stearate, Silicon Dioxide, Coating (Hydroxypropyl methulcellulose, carmelpolyethylene glycol, Opadry® (color), titanium dioxide)|
|Directions: take 1-2 Provasil tablet. Do not exceed the recommended dosage.|
Provasil’s no nonsense (but low-dose) nootropics are bolstered with a B12 boost.
Provasil’s formula serves up some tried and true nootropics from the world’s healing traditions as well as those that have recently risen to pharmaceutical-grade fame. The Ginkgo leaf and Ginseng Root have been shown to work extremely well together while N-Acetyl-L-Carnitine and Phosphatidylcholine take turns getting your brain the choline we all know it needs.
Finally, B12 enthusiasts have something to delight in with the more than sufficient 300 mcg inclusion of cyanocobalamin (even though it would be better if presented as the superior methylcobalamin form of B12).
But enough of what we have to say about it; let’s go through the ingredients.
- Vitamin C, 300 mg: traditional immune-booster has plays a role in safeguarding your brain against cognitive decline.
- Folic Acid, 600 mcg: Increased levels of this essential vitamin can help control the collection of hippocampus-damaging homocysteine and improve memory, word fluency, and information processing.
- Vitamin B12, 300 mcg: In its less potent cyanocobalamin form, this important vitamin is a must for long-term brain health and improved cognitive performance.
- Biotin, 150 mcg: Another essential vitamin, this brain booster has been shown to improve brain function and support overall health of the central nervous system, regulating mood, memory and cognitive function.
- Choline Bitartate, 150 mg: Choline is a building block of every cell membrane in the body and is also a precursor to acetylcholine, which is correlated with increased memory, mental alertness and concentration.
- L-Tyrosine, 100 mg: Another building block of the body’s proteins, studies of the supplemental consumption of this amino acid have shown improved cognitive performance and memory, especially among participants were subjected to stressful situations.
- N-Acetyl-L-Carnitine, 100 mg: Another amino acid, this anitoxidant neutralizes free radicals in the brain, helps raise acetylcholine levels and has been associated with improved long-term memory, short-term recall and working memory.
- Bacopa Monnieri, 100 mg: Scientific studies have buttressed what traditional Hindu medicine has long known about positive influence on memory and attention of this powerful nootropic.
- Ginkgo Leaf, 60 mg: This all-natural addition to Provasil has long been associated with positive effects that strengthen cognitive flexibility, elective attention, working memory, and long-term memory of both verbal and visual information.
- Phosphatidylserine, 50 mg: This vital component of all cell membranes is found in its highest concentration in the brain and has been shown to enhance concentration, memory, and learning among users.
- L-Glutamine, 45 mg: Responsible for eliminating ammonia from the brain, it has been suggested that this amino acid can also improve mental alertness and memory.
- Phosphatidylcholine, 30 mg: Along with N-Acetyl-L-Carnitine, this phospholipid boosts acetylcholine levels in the brain and has been correlated with heightened mental functioning.
- Panax Ginseng Root, 30 mg: Long-esteemed in Chinese medicine for its perceived cognitive benefits, studies have shown that users of this natural nootropic enjoy more effective mental functioning including increased abstract thinking skills, better task completion abilities, and faster reaction times.
- Resveratrol, 25 mg: Often touted by wine enthusiasts as healthy for the heart, this antioxidant and anti-inflammatory compound has been shown to increase long-term memory and sharpen learning ability.
- Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA), 5 mg: This omega-3 fatty acid is an essential component in the membranes of the brain and is responsible for enhancing membrane structure and nutrient transport and cellular communication that support cognitive function.
We love what’s in Provasil. The vitamin B12 is a welcome addition to this brain-booster-packed formulation and the many other vitamins and amino acids included in Provasil should give nootropic enthusiasts something to be happy about.
Moreover, the formula is chock full of nootropics old and new, like Bacopa Monnieri, Ginseng, Ginkgo Biloba, Phosphatidylcholine and L-Tyrosine, ingredients that in many formulations would seal the deal for anyone looking for acute cognitive improvements as well as a long-lost trip down long-term memory lane.
Despite this big thumbs up, we thought we’s highlight some aspects of Provasil that discouraged us and might make you think twice about popping one before your next IQ test.
Many of Provasil’s ingredients are dosed so low that you probably won’t notice any significant increase in brainpower.
We know – this is a consequence of so much nootropic nourishment crammed into such a tiny capsule.
But still, Provasil, couldn’t you have managed to make room for more than a hundredth of the recommended daily intake of DHA, to squeeze a little more than 30 mg of Ginseng in, or to give that faint dose of Phosphatidylcholine a fighting chance? Evidently not…shame on you, Provasil.
We all know that, if a supplement as ambitious as Provasil wants to pack in those 15 ingredients to deliver a real punch, it needs some standardized, super-potent and high-quality forms of each and every one like some other supplements we’ve reviewed this year. However, as the label disappointingly indicates, it includes none of those.
Given the low dose amounts as well as the exclusion of more potent forms of some classic ingredients, Provasil misses getting top marks from us.
However, don’t let this totally turn you off of Provasil.
The formulation is full of some really exquisite amino acids, vitamins and healing herbs that have long been correlated with enhanced cognitive performance. Furthermore, the combination of Ginkgo and Ginseng are known to work together to give you the best bang for your buck, and the Phosphatidylcholine along with the Choline Bitartate give you a double dose of the crucial compound acetylcholine. That’s a smart move, Provasil.
With all this in mind, Provasil might have this effect on the brain:
when you really want this one:
Though it might leave your brain a tad punier than you expected, you’ll at least get a little beefier.
Some facts about Vitamin B12
Vitamin B12 builds the myelin nerve sheaths that surround and protect nerve cells throughout the central nervous system and brain. In addition, B12 levels naturally decline with age. Though this may seem trifling, low levels of this essential vitamin are correlated with Alzheimer’s, brain tissue shrinkage and other degenerative brain concerns. Therefore, taking B12’s advanced form of methylcobalamin (found in top-shelf brain supplements in our other reviews, like Mind Lab Pro and Nootrobox) should be considered a must if supplementing for long-term brain health and optimal cognitive performance.
Provasil’s complex of vitamins, amino acids and herbal roots will improve your ability to retain and recall all kinds of information, improve your performance on detail-oriented tasks, clear up that brain fog, increase mental alertness & focus and stack your brain with the stuff it needs in order to stay sharp and alert. However, with all of those low dosage amounts that we’ve pointed out, Provasil might leave those looking for a quick boost in cognitive performance wanting.
Who Takes It?
Provasil is for those whose young ones seem to be speeding by them when it comes to cognitive flexibility and strength. If you’ve always heard that decreased mental clarity is just one of those joys of getting older, Provasil might be the nootropic for you.
Any Side Effects?
A huge plus about the ingredients in Provasil is that potential side effects are virtually nonexistent. The only thing we recommend is that you stick to the suggested daily dose. Don’t want your supply running out too quickly, do you?
- Well-researched. Provasil’s product formulation passes the science test with flying colors.
- Transparent label. When you pop a Provasil, you know exactly what you are getting.
- Smart formulation. Provasil powerfully pairs up its ingredients.
- B12. This is an excellent addition at a decent dose.
- Low potency. The concentrations of the ingredients leave more than a little to be desired.
- Other ingredients. For those who don’t like many inactive ingredients, Provasil has a fair amount of them.
- Low dosage. The amounts of some of the ingredients are sometimes laughably low.
Pricing & Buying Info
- 1 Bottle (30-Day Supply): $54.95.
- Available to buy online retail (Amazon) and online from the manufacturer, but apparently not from brick-and-mortar vitamin stores like GNC.
Final Word on Provasil
If you are looking to increase your mental performance and give your brain that little extra zing it feels like it might be missing, there’s no harm in taking Provasil. Just keep in mind that both the dosages and potency of the ingredients are decidedly below par. For a similar supplement targeting a similar demographic that packs a little more oomph, we suggest you read our review on Neuro Optimizer. The ratings here are middle-of-the-road, not that exciting…